As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Draft Thread That Isn't Nine Fucking Months Old

ChurchChurch Registered User regular
edited October 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
I was "drafted" by the Republic of Ichkeria to help fight the Russian invasion in 2000. I was nine years old at the time.

I was given an AK-74 carbine, and paired with a scout, as his spotter. Then I was sent to fight in the Siege of Grosny. Though we were supposed to be scouts, we joined up with a squad to aid in the counter-offensive (At this point, the Russian forces had all but secured the city). Specifically, my squad's job was to aid in the capture of the town of Shali. It was a three-pronged attack; other units would secure the towns of Argun and Gudermes, thus creating a supply corridor through which to bring reinforcements and supplies to Grozny.

The following days were occupied by a Russian counter-attack, as they tried to break our supply lines, but we succesfully held all three cities and did not allow them a further foothold in the region.

We then advanced to the city itself. We fought the Russian Federation forces through January, but then tens of thousands of reinforcements arrived, cutting off our supply line and forcing us to retreat. We attempted to withdraw from the city, and helped many civilians escape in the process.

We were forced to stop in the Caucasus by a heavy snowstorm, but then came under fire by artillery. We were forced to make our way through the blinding snow out of the mountains, where we were ambushed by thousands of Russian soldiers, out-numbering us by at least four to one. We could not retreat into the mountains because of the artillery, we could not cross the river to the north because of the Russian battallions chasing us. We could not retreat to the southeast, because that would have brought us right into the belly of the beast, where the main Russian expeditionary force was. Our only way out was a canyon to the southwest.

Of course, it was mined.

It was a disaster. Of our unit of two-thousand, casualties numbered at six-hundred, with about four-hundred of them fatalities.

Our leadership was in shambles after this. Only one General had survived, and he was badly wounded, maimed by a land mine. I do not know what happened to him after this. He survived the retreat, I believe, but he did not lead us. He was a poor leader to begin with.

That was only the beginning. My first month in combat. The following months, I functioned as a spotter. Then, a scout. At times, a designated marksman. For the four years after the Battle of Grozny, I was a part of the Ichkerian Army's guerrilla war on the Russian government of Chechnya. They were years filled with ambushes, bombings, and assassinations, and I do not wish to discuss my part in them.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Church on

• Options
    CatoCato __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Jesus Christ.

Cato on
  • Options
    ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Turkey has mandatory military service for all males, beginning at the age of 21. It lasts 18 months.

I am fucking dreading it.

I'm going to be doing everything I can to dodge it. Not because I'm scared of basic training, but because I don't believe in the principle of dragging someone against their will and holding them essentially captive for such a long period of time.

In more general terms, draft is not military "service". It's state-sanctioned slavery, justified under the "it's necessary" excuse.

ege02 on
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm for the mandatory civil service, but nothing in the range of 18mo / 2 years or anything. Maybe for 9mo you have to put in 4 or 5hr a week in a field as community needs dictate.

Anything from washing off graffiti, planting trees, fetching donuts and washing PD vehicles.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    romanlevinromanlevin Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Kind of surprised to Israelis posted yet.

I'm doing this thing now where I get a degree with some financial help from the army (they basically pay for tuition), and in return I sign up for double the time (2X3=6 years). I just finished the third year of my Aeronautics degree (out of four). Oh, and you're supposed to be actually doing something that has to do with your degree. Of course, for the first three years you get payed like a combatant (around 700 shekels a month, 175USD) and for the next three an officers wage (around 6000 shekels, 1500USD, about twice minimum wage. For an engineer with three year's experience).

So basically, at 17-18 your sign up for ten years of you life. Which is fun.

But that's not really the typical military experience for a Jewish male in Israel. Except the shafting. Pretty typical there.

romanlevin on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    You can't really get out of the U.S. draft by heading for Canada anymore, just to respond to some upthread posts. At least, not if what I've read is correct.

I'm against the idea of mandatory service (military or otherwise) because I don't particularly think the U.S. needs it (in the sense that Israel does, for example) and because I don't think conscripting people into civil or military service would really be very good for the country WRT patriotism/civic engagement/etc.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    There are many people in Israel who are against the draft as well. Not considering the 15-25% of draftees who evade service.

romanlevin on
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    ALocksly wrote: »
    ALocksly wrote:
    Oh, and Boy Scouts actually helped out quite a bit, particularly the ability to read a map. I even got bumped up one rank automatically for my Boy Scout stuff.
    Yeah, Eagle Scouts go in as E2. I'd be interested in knowing if they do that for commissions, too, since I'm strongly considering going in to the military after I graduate, but it's unlikely that carries over.

They also give you E-2 for getting one of your friends to sign up. Our first day in BASIC the Senior Drill went down the line and whenever he got to a guy who had E-2 he would ask "why are you an E-2?" the first guy answered that he'd signed up a buddy, the Senior Drill announced that anybody who'd gotten E-2 by signing up a buddy had to answer his question with "I fucked my buddy" When he got to me and I answered "Eagle Scout" he just nodded. That was the closest thing to a compliment I ever saw from him.

This military anecdote, like every other military anecdote I have hard, has only helped to convince me that no, you morons, a draft will not do our youth "some good", either mentally or spiritually. The pattern seems to be:
    <An example of a poisonous atmosphere>, <but it was really fulfilling and now I'm a better person>!

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I think my military experience made me a better person. Do you have any experience in a militant conflict?

Church on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Church wrote: »
    I think my military experience made me a better person. Do you have any experience in a militant conflict?

Nope -- as you might have surmised had you read my really short post.

And I'm sure it did, 'cuz presumably it involved really hard work and/or danger. The point is that I would be a little bit more amenable to really hard work and/or danger if they didn't involve immersion in such an apparently messed-up culture.

I also have pacifist ethical reflexes, but I dunno if I have logical pacifist convictions, so I didn't want to go there.

Mahnmut on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Saying that the opinion of people who don't like the army and therefore didn't serve doesn't count because they didn't serve seems kind of silly.

Plus, it seems odd to me for you advocate compulsory military service. I mean, you probably don't mean that countries need programs of child-soldiers, so what do you mean about your experience making you a better person? If someone's experience in a holocaust made them a better person, would that mean that holocausts are a good idea?

romanlevin on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

I still have allot of agression that 11 years in the corp did not vent.
    Did it make me a better person yes and no.
    I did things that are hard to explain.
    It depends on the person for what they take from thier experience and apply it to the world outside .

Brainleech on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    romanlevin wrote: »

Saying that the opinion of people who don't like the army and therefore didn't serve doesn't count because they didn't serve seems kind of silly.

I'm not saying that his opinion of the military shouldn't count. I'm saying he has no basis on which to say military service won't do a person any good.
    Plus, it seems odd to me for you advocate compulsory military service. I mean, you probably don't mean that countries need programs of child-soldiers, so what do you mean about your experience making you a better person?

Ignoring your embarassing fallacy, I'm going to say that I don't believe children should be used as combatants, whether it be compulsory or voluntary, but I still got a lot of good out of my service. I would have gotten a lot more out of it (And significantly less psychological growth stuntage) had I been older, but I still got something from it.

Church on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Okok. The point I was grasping at is actually kinda complimentary:

The people with the mental/emotional/moral integrity to grow from the kind of stuff that veterans apparently like to share with outsiders are not the lazy, cruel, and stupid adolescents Jansen et al. want to conscript.

And even if we are making major life decisions for the stupid and shiftless, presumably other people should get to choose their own enriching experiences.

Mahnmut on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Mahnmut wrote: »
    Okok. The point I was grasping at is actually kinda complimentary:

The people with the mental/emotional/moral integrity to grow from the kind of stuff that veterans apparently like to share withoutsiders are not the lazy, cruel, and stupid adolescents Jansen wants to conscript.

And even if we are making major life decisions for the stupid and shiftless, presumably other people should get to choose their own enriching experiences.

I agree.

Church on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Ignoring your embarassing fallacy, I'm going to say that I don't believe children should be used as combatants, whether it be compulsory or voluntary, but I still got a lot of good out of my service. I would have gotten a lot more out of it (And significantly less psychological growth stuntage) had I been older, but I still got something from it.

What was my fallacy? Saying you endorse compulsory military service because you said your experience made you a better person?

I admit that you did not say that, and that you may have not meant it, but that is what the discussion was about before your post. I understood your (implicit) support of the idea that military service made you a better person meant you also support a policy of drafting young people.

If that is in fact what you meant by fallacy, I would argue that it is not a fallacy but rather an assumption that seemed reasonable to me at the time, and of which I was aware.

Also, note that I didn't say you support child recruitment, I said that you obviously don't, and that seemed to conflict with your assumed support of the previously mentioned policy.

And a question, to you and other people who said service made them better people. I have spent the last three years in college. I am a better person now (almost 22) than I was when I were 18 years old, but I do not conclude that it was college that was responsible for the change. The question: how can you know that it is the army that makes you a better person and not just maturity? It seems to me that the things that people usually say they gain from service (discipline, responsibility, perspective) are also things that seem (to me) to come naturally through maturity.

romanlevin on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    What was my fallacy? Saying you endorse compulsory military service because you said your experience made you a better person?

I admit that you did not say that, and that you may have not meant it, but that is what the discussion was about before your post. I understood your (implicit) support of the idea that military service made you a better person meant you also support a policy of drafting young people.

If that is in fact what you meant by fallacy, I would argue that it is not a fallacy but rather an assumption that seemed reasonable to me at the time, and of which I was aware.

Also, note that I didn't say you support child recruitment, I said that you obviously don't, and that seemed to conflict with your assumed support of the previously mentioned policy.

And a question, to you and other people who said service made them better people. I have spent the last three years in college. I am a better person now (almost 22) than I was when I were 18 years old, but I do not conclude that it was college that was responsible for the change. The question: how can you know that it is the army that makes you a better person and not just maturity? It seems to me that the things that people usually say they gain from service (discipline, responsibility, perspective) are also things that seem (to me) to come naturally through maturity.

The fallacy was comparing encouraging military service to encouraging genocide.

To be perfectly clear, I believe in compulsory military service, but I also believe that people who are only in the military because of such a policy should not be used in foreign conflicts.

Maturity doesn't just happen. It comes by experience, not by time. I fought in the war for four years, and I think I grew up more in that time than many people do in twice my life-time. Note that this obviously doesn't apply to certain aspects of maturity, like, say, motor skills, and theory of mind. That should go without saying.

Church on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2007
    Necroposting makes baby Jesus cry.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Thank you El Jeffe.

Church on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Just Like ThatJust Like That Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    All I know is that if I were drafted into a war that I didn't agree with, I wouldn't comply. You can say that makes me a coward or hippie or whatever, but I'm not going to go around shooting people just because someone tells me to.

Just Like That on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    The fallacy was comparing encouraging military service to encouraging genocide.

I was not equating. I pointed out that "X had some good consequences" does not in any way equal "X is a good idea".
    To be perfectly clear, I believe in compulsory military service, but I also believe that people who are only in the military because of such a policy should not be used in foreign conflicts.

If you're not using the military, then why have a military? Why not make it compulsory public service? That is, why does it have to include guns and shooting?
    Maturity doesn't just happen. It comes by experience, not by time.

Yes and no. Maturity is very obviously biological. A retarded person that has been through a war isn't any more mature or less retarded. Since he did not have the mental faculties to process the experience in the same way a mature person would, it has caused him only suffering.

You admit yourself that an 18 year-old would have better motor skills 14 (I don't know what you mean by "theory of mind"). Then why would he not also be better equipped to understand people other than himself and understand long term consequences?

It seems as if maturity, to you, is completely spiritual - an idea that strikes me as unscientific and odd regardless. By this I mean to say that saying maturity is derived solely from experience is akin to saying that morality is derived solely from religion - ie disregarding any innate biological factors.

romanlevin on
  • Options
    Not SarastroNot Sarastro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Mahnmut wrote: »
    This military anecdote, like every other military anecdote I have hard, has only helped to convince me that no, you morons, a draft will not do our youth "some good", either mentally or spiritually. The pattern seems to be:
    <An example of a poisonous atmosphere>, <but it was really fulfilling and now I'm a better person>!

The fact that this pattern endures throughout history with people from all races, backgrounds and cultures giving an answer along the lines of "builds character" doesn't suggest to you there might be something in it?

Just because you can't see how a poisonous atmosphere might bring out some good in people != it doesn't happen, just suggests to me you have little faith in the intrinsic decency within people. And just because "builds character" has become a favourite catchphrase for all sorts of dribbling idiots & conservative nuts doesn't mean the concept itself is faulty.

[Having said which, the US draft is a bad idea...and what the hell is going on with that OP?]
    I believe in compulsory military service, but I also believe that people who are only in the military because of such a policy should not be used in foreign conflicts.

That is quite sensible though.

Not Sarastro on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Tobasco wrote: »
    All I know is that if I were drafted into a war that I didn't agree with, I wouldn't comply. You can say that makes me a coward or hippie or whatever, but I'm not going to go around shooting people just because someone tells me to.

I'm a assuming you are American, since in many places "not complying" won't get you called names, but only leave you with a rather uncomfortable mass of lead in your skull.

romanlevin on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

I'm a assuming you are American, since in many places "not complying" won't get you called names, but only leave you with a rather uncomfortable mass of lead in your skull.

Actually, here it can very well lead to more than namecalling...it may well come with a complimentary stay in one of our fine correctional institutions.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2007
    Sarastro wrote: »
    [Having said which, the US draft is a bad idea...and what the hell is going on with that OP?]

There was a thread from nine months ago that was talking about people's draft experiences. Church found it and posted his in it. I hacked off the old shit.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    mcdermott wrote: »

Actually, here it can very well lead to more than namecalling...it may well come with a complimentary stay in one of our fine correctional institutions.

Which, you will agree, is a far cry from summary execution.

EDIT: ElJeffe, I think this thread, with the current combination of OP and title, might be a bit confusing to newcomers.

romanlevin on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I was not equating. I pointed out that "X had some good consequences" does not in any way equal "X is a good idea".

You know that the comparison was not fair. If it was fair, then I simply would have agreed and there would have been no point in making it.
    If you're not using the military, then why have a military? Why not make it compulsory public service? That is, why does it have to include guns and shooting?

I didn't say don't use the military. I said people that have not volunteered for military service should not be used in foreign conflicts. Note that neither serving in the border guard nor the military police involves serving in a foreign conflict.

Yes and no. Maturity is very obviously biological.

You have successfully summarised what I just said.
    A retarded person that has been through a war isn't any more mature or less retarded. Since he did not have the mental faculties to process the experience in the same way a mature person would, it has caused him only suffering.

How very irrelevant, thank you.
    You admit yourself that an 18 year-old would have better motor skills 14 (I don't know what you mean by "theory of mind"). Then why would he not also be better equipped to understand people other than himself and understand long term consequences?

The development of motor skills in no way amounts to the experience you get from the discipline of a military lifestyle. If wisdom developed on its own, we wouldn't have any use for things like parents. Or law.

It seems as if maturity, to you, is completely spiritual - an idea that strikes me as unscientific and odd regardless. By this I mean to say that saying maturity is derived solely from experience is akin to saying that morality is derived solely from religion - ie disregarding any innate biological factors.

I'm not going to recognise a response to something I never said.

Church on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    ElJeffe wrote:
    There was a thread from nine months ago that was talking about people's draft experiences. Church found it and posted his in it. I hacked off the old shit.

I know, I saw that. I'm just wondering if it is quoting someone else, or if there is more to the story. Having a little trouble believing that a 16 year old Eastern European (presumably) kid who spent four formative years as a child soldier in Chechnya and was only rescued by an NGO three years ago, is posting on PA with flawless English and a perfect grasp of US colloquialisms?

No offence, I'm just curious - there might be some background to this I don't know, and if the above is true then good job! But it is somewhat out of the ordinary.

Not Sarastro on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    ElJeffe wrote:

I know, I saw that. I'm just wondering if it is quoting someone else, or if there is more to the story. Having a little trouble believing that a 16 year old Eastern European (presumably) kid who spent four formative years as a child soldier in Chechnya and was only rescued by an NGO three years ago, is posting on PA with flawless English and a perfect grasp of US colloquialisms?

No offence, I'm just curious - there might be some background to this I don't know, and if the above is true then good job! But it is somewhat out of the ordinary.

I learned English from my mother, who was from Oxford. I'm also an exceptionally adaptive person, if you're willing to take my word for that.

Church on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2007

It's unfortunate that that is the case in some countries, but I still don't believe that anyone should allow themselves to be bullied into killing other people. There are alternatives to simple denial, such as fleeing the country. You may risk your own life in doing so, but is that really worse than taking the lives of others instead?

I should add that this doesn't really apply to children, since they are not capable of doing things like that themselves.

Any assistance to military offensives results in you killing people by proxy. Meaning, if you give a gun to someone and you know for a fact that they will shoot someone with it, then it doesn't matter who actually fires the gun. You both share equal responsibility for that person's death.

Just Like That on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Any assistance to military offensives results in you killing people by proxy. Meaning, if you give a gun to someone and you know for a fact that they will shoot someone with it, then it doesn't matter who actually fires the gun.

Which is the kind of distinction which only much matters to people who have never been near a battlefield.

The more practical point - what I think Church meant - is that if you put large numbers of drafted soldiers in or near combat, then they make mistakes. Whether it is shooting up a civvy car at a checkpoint or leaving their rifle on auto & spraying their mates by accident, mistakes get people killed.

I doubt either the dead civvies in the car or the dead soldier much care about your nebulous method for applying blame, they would just rather be alive. Professional soldiers are far less likely to make such mistakes.

EDIT: Church, must say I'm skeptical, but I usually am. I also recognise that bizarre rarities do happen and have no other reason to disbelieve you, so that's that.

Not Sarastro on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I don't disagree with anything you just said, Sarasto. My point was that compulsory military service, when it assists military offensives, results in either direct or indirect killing of other people, and no government should force anyone to commit homicide.

Just Like That on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    You know that the comparison was not fair. If it was fair, then I simply would have agreed and there would have been no point in making it.

There is no point in making an argument you do not agree with? Seems rather harsh. Also, again, I wasn't comparing military service to genocide, I was using an extreme example to make the point that a thing that had a good consequence isn't intrinsically desirable.
    I didn't say don't use the military. I said people that have not volunteered for military service should not be used in foreign conflicts. Note that neither serving in the border guard nor the military police involves serving in a foreign conflict.

If there is a foreign conflict than every member of the army does, in fact, serve in a foreign conflict. If the border is being invaded, the border guard is going to shoot the invaders. If the military police happen upon an enemy soldier, they will be required, in every army, to shoot/capture/report to some other authority.

Does a medic not serve in a war if he doesn't shoot people?

Moreover, no army would want to waste money and time training people to be essentially useless in wartime.
    You have successfully summarised what I just said.

No, you said "Maturity doesn't just happen. It comes by experience, not by time.". I said that in a very serious sense, maturity does "just happen".
    How very irrelevant, thank you.
    No, I was showing a thought experiment that demonstrates that maturity is not purely experience-based, by pointing out that a person who is not mentally equipped to deal with an experience will not gain "Maturity" through it.
    The development of motor skills in no way amounts to the experience you get from the discipline of a military lifestyle.
    No but neither does "the experience you get from the discipline of a military lifestyle" equate to a positive experience.
    If wisdom developed on its own, we wouldn't have any use for things like parents. Or law.
    Actually parents are there to (literally) baby-sit you until you are capable of wisdom. Although I wasn't saying that experience is worthless. I was asking how can you differentiate between the "goodness" you received from your experience and the "goodness" acquired purely from going through adolescence.
    And laws don't develop maturity, and they don't make people good. They just make sure that most of the people who aren't naturally inclined to be nice to each other will have sufficient negative reinforcement not to be giant dicks.
    I'm not going to recognise a response to something I never said.

But you did - at least as I understand it. If I simply misunderstood you, please point out where I was wrong.

romanlevin on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    If I simply misunderstood you, please point out where I was wrong.

I have neither the desire, nor the years required to indulge that request. I simply can not bring myself to believe that making this any clearer to you will do any good, whether you're deliberately misinterpreting my posts or whether you just can't understand them.

Church on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I don't disagree with anything you just said, Sarasto. My point was that compulsory military service, when it assists military offensives, results in either direct or indirect killing of other people, and no government should force anyone to commit homicide.

Fair enough, I just don't agree that being stationed with the National Guard building flood defences or such is contributing any more to "homicide" than working for that same government in any other function, paying your taxes which contribute to the military budget, contributing to the national economy which makes all that possible etc etc.

In fact, if you go far enough down the line in a globally linked society, you can probably connect any dead person to their killer through some indirect contribution. But it's a pointless & and meaningless exercise.

Also: not homicide.

Not Sarastro on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

When I was in the Marine Corp. I knew of 2 people that refused to pull the trigger one of which was during a heavy firefight in Afghanistan

Now you get into the fine line of killing in the name of war and protection of oneself or property.

There have been some rather questionable things I have done to name one: VBSS {Vessel, Board, Search, and Seizure} I can go on and on with what I did as VBSS missions and how the people who ship I boarded had every right to fire at me and I to return it.

I have no quams with killing people as it did not bother me to do it compared to various people who thought it was wrong an varying degrees

I have been to some countries that had penal legions and conscripts as an army with people to goad them into action

Brainleech on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Oh, also Tobasco, absolutely no problem with the conscientious objector position, and don't think it cowardly - in fact, it is morally courageous even if I don't agree with All The Pacifist Morals.
    Brainleech wrote:
    I knew of 2 people that refused to pull the trigger one of which was during a heavy firefight in Afghanistan

That, however, is not the time to develop morals.

Not Sarastro on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Oh, also Tobasco, absolutely no problem with the conscientious objector position, and don't think it cowardly - in fact, it is morally courageous even if I don't agree with All The Pacifist Morals.
    Brainleech wrote:
    I knew of 2 people that refused to pull the trigger one of which was during a heavy firefight in Afghanistan

That, however, is not the time to develop morals.

The sad thing was he was my commanding officer

Brainleech on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Sarastro, conscripts don't make bad soldiers, poorly trained conscripts make bad soldiers. Also, bad soldiers are far better, in wartime, than no soldiers at all.

Church, I am sincerely sad that you do not see any redeeming quality in my posts, so much that you won't even argue your point. I genuinely wanted to understand how a person that went through what you have could possibly have the opinions you claim to hold, and I have failed. I can only hope that it is your fault, and not my own - since that is much more comfortable to live with - and so I will.

Tobasco, I applaud you for your apparent moral bravery. I truly do, mostly because I think I lack it myself.

romanlevin on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Church, I am sincerely sad that you do not see any redeeming quality in my posts, so much that you won't even argue your point. I genuinely wanted to understand how a person that went through what you have could possibly have the opinions you claim to hold, and I have failed. I can only hope that it is your fault, and not my own - since that is much more comfortable to live with - and so I will.

Yes, it's clearly my fault. That explains perfectly why I seem to have gotten my point across to everyone but you.

Church on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Yes, it's clearly my fault. That explains perfectly why I seem to have gotten my point across to everyone but you.

Thank you.

Although be frank I don't see anyone who has gotten your point, simply people who haven't argued with you. This explains, in a way, your aversion to arguing with me.

romanlevin on