As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[State of Decay] YOSE available now on XBone/PC. $10 off for returning SoD owners!

1272829303133»

• Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    also I can't stop running over zombies it is a bad habit endlessly fun and I should not always do it

ftfy

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    but the cars! they are the precious!

f3rret wrote: »
    I own the original, and I loved it. I won't be buying this one, but I don't think I'm being an entitled asshole about it. :) It's just not worth the price to me. I'm not going to negatively review it, because if you've never played State of Decay, this package is ABSOLUTELY worth the money and you need to buy it now.

If I want MP zombies, I'll play Project Zomboid. I'm not going to whine about a feature that they never promised not showing up.

But as for supporting the developer, I don't feel the need to support them any more than I have. They lost me when they started talking about that Moonrise thing instead of State Of Decay 2.

I would guess one of the reason that they had to do this YOSE is that they're running out of money. Who knows if Microsoft is even backing them to do anything else; they may have lost the State of Decay name and have to do something else.

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    I own the original, and I loved it. I won't be buying this one, but I don't think I'm being an entitled asshole about it. :) It's just not worth the price to me. I'm not going to negatively review it, because if you've never played State of Decay, this package is ABSOLUTELY worth the money and you need to buy it now.

If I want MP zombies, I'll play Project Zomboid. I'm not going to whine about a feature that they never promised not showing up.

But as for supporting the developer, I don't feel the need to support them any more than I have. They lost me when they started talking about that Moonrise thing instead of State Of Decay 2.

Yeah, I can get not buying the game. But the bombing the reviews is rather lame of some people.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
    edited April 2015

I would guess one of the reason that they had to do this YOSE is that they're running out of money. Who knows if Microsoft is even backing them to do anything else; they may have lost the State of Decay name and have to do something else.

Nah, I think they did it because it was a good way to get up to speed on the new architecture, and well... everybody is pushing "definitive/high def/revised/etc" versions of old games so why not?

Undead Labs actually has a multi-year/multi-title deal with Microsoft, or at least there's no obvious evidence that relationship has changed.

Also, a thing that I didn't know before as I dug around for this post:
    Q: Can I move my saves from the 360 to the XB1?

A: That's the plan! Cloud save FTW. First, log into the 360. You should see a new menu item offering you the option of moving your saves to the cloud. Choose it. When it's done processing, turn off your 360.

Now turn on your X1 and load up YOSE on April 28. Et voila. All of your saves will be there - Original Recipe, Breakdown, and Lifeline.

Q: What about Steam, is Cloud Save a thing there too?

A: Yes.

Source

Though... I imagine by now everybody is dead. :p

tastydonuts on
    Ya know, I never figured this out but how long do you have on average to complete any pop up request? Is there a set time or does it differ by type?

• NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    also I can't stop running over zombies it is a bad habit and I should not do it
    For me it was getting them with the car door.

That always puts a smile on my face.

newSig.jpg
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    Nocren wrote: »
    also I can't stop running over zombies it is a bad habit and I should not do it
    For me it was getting them with the car door.

That always puts a smile on my face.

Well theres also the practicality of it. The car takes damage from zombies over time hitting them. the car door when weaponized is invincible.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    As someone who sold his XBox and Playstation 3 when I upgraded to the PS4, I have absolutely no problems with re-releases. It's a nice option to have for games that I miss, not some mandate that I have to buy them again.

As with a lot of poutrages from the gaming community, the whole uproar leaves me mystified. Don't like them? Don't buy them.

• MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    I think an mmo sounds good in theory. But im imagining it with pvp and having people who do nothing but fuck with people and that sounds awful.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
    edited May 2015
    Mulletude wrote: »
    I think an mmo sounds good in theory. But im imagining it with pvp and having people who do nothing but fuck with people and that sounds awful.

I hope they don't have PVP if they make it... I think it'd end up being another asshole simulator like the other Zombie Sandbox games seem to be too.

Like... seriously. Things like society and communities and goddamn laws existed, and the collapse of mass civilization would hardly bring about an end to all that. Because it's in every creature's best interest to not act in such a way and all.

tastydonuts on
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular

I hope they don't have PVP if they make it... I think it'd end up being another asshole simulator like the other Zombie Sandbox games seem to be too.

Like... seriously. Things like society and communities and goddamn laws existed, and the collapse of mass civilization would hardly bring about an end to all that. Because it's in every creature's best interest to not act in such a way and all.

Yeah but dude. think of it like archeage. This game has built in commerce- RUCKSACKS. Me and my crew live in this base- we want to trade our homemade ammo for thier home grown food. Think of the added danger if not only zombies but mad max style car wars break out on the way as you get pvp'd for those sweet sweet sacks?

It has its charms.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
    mojojoeo wrote: »

Yeah but dude. think of it like archeage. This game has built in commerce- RUCKSACKS. Me and my crew live in this base- we want to trade our homemade ammo for thier home grown food. Think of the added danger if not only zombies but mad max style car wars break out on the way as you get pvp'd for those sweet sweet sacks?

It has its charms.

Nah, there's already a glut of fuck over everyone else zombie MMOs. Someone needs to do something different.

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    State of Decay Breakdown is so close to a perfect game for me. Character management, home base management, resource management. Systematically going through buildings and checking them off on the map oh my god I love that feature. My only problems with it are that I hate special zombies, they are never enjoyable, and that I can't just fortify the Trucking Warehouse and have the one game go endlessly. Running out of resources and having to move on is the entire point, I get it, but then it gets harder and eventually you're at a point where you can't do anything and everyone dies. That's unfortunately not why I play video games. I like win states, not high score chasing.

• Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    State of Decay Breakdown is so close to a perfect game for me. Character management, home base management, resource management. Systematically going through buildings and checking them off on the map oh my god I love that feature. My only problems with it are that I hate special zombies, they are never enjoyable, and that I can't just fortify the Trucking Warehouse and have the one game go endlessly. Running out of resources and having to move on is the entire point, I get it, but then it gets harder and eventually you're at a point where you can't do anything and everyone dies. That's unfortunately not why I play video games. I like win states, not high score chasing.

I mostly agree... except that while I generally prefer win states, in this particular instance I love the fact that it's just "go until you can't go any more" - in a zombie apocalypse I don't expect a win state, just an impossible battle for survival. That inherent hopelessness of it makes it more thrilling with each successful stage passed.

Breakdown is what put State of Decay high on my list of favorite games ever.

Now if only it had more than one map... then it might be TOP of that list. ;)

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    I really would not like an MMO. Class/weapon progression, though, yes. Something like Killing Floor or Dying Light, only with an open world and the ability to build up defenses/make a home between nightfalls/swarms, in State of Decay's world, is intensely appealing to me.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
    How about if they do an mmo they give you the choice of pvp server or non. I would def choose no pvp but i can see the allure for others

How about if they do an mmo they give you the choice of pvp server or non. I would def choose no pvp but i can see the allure for others

Yeah, I have to admit a zombie apocalypse with no traitors fucking over everyone else would be pretty hard to believe. Maybe they could do it with an NPC minions system or something where you have to manage relationships in your circle of followers (like equipment?) or people will start stealing or betraying you.

Eh, I wouldn't mind PVP optional.

Or if you positively had to fight other humans, then just NPCs... but in zombie games with open PVP the humans are the major threat and it's just another shooter or something.

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Eh, I wouldn't mind PVP optional.

Or if you positively had to fight other humans, then just NPCs... but in zombie games with open PVP the humans are the major threat and it's just another shooter or something.

I think PvP would work if it didn't involve direct combat. A game where the map only has a set number of bases, resources and a single escape route (helicopter and such) would be awesome. You could even have mechanism that allowed players to grief each other - noisemaker traps, the ability to taint supplies, tools to lure top-level characters to your side, etc. - without turning the game into a GTA Online with zombies.

• OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular

If on PC you can edit an ini file to make special zombies never spawn (you set their spawn chance to 0 percent). I don't think it'll stop special zombie missions from showing up, but at least this way they wont show up randomly.

You could still have elements of dickery without direct combat.

Saw a guy go into that house? Fire off a couple shots, let them die fighting all the extra zs you attracted and then loot their corpse :)

You could still have elements of dickery without direct combat.

Saw a guy go into that house? Fire off a couple shots, let them die fighting all the extra zs you attracted and then loot their corpse :)

Yeah... dickery... it uh, finds a way.

• LawndartLawndart Registered User regular

If on PC you can edit an ini file to make special zombies never spawn (you set their spawn chance to 0 percent). I don't think it'll stop special zombie missions from showing up, but at least this way they wont show up randomly.

I was already on the fence about the new edition since I didn't bother to snag either of the DLCs for the original version, but knowing that special zombies can be turned off and thus make the game one step closer to George Romero Movie Simulator 2015 makes it harder to resist.

• NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Dammit... I forgot how fun this game is.
    Playing through the main campaign to regain the achievements and I'm at the Trucking Garage now.

Wish I could lower mission frequency though... Seems like Lily constantly has something for me to do and I can't just go out and explore.

newSig.jpg
  • FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Wow, so, just picked this up.

Apparently time doesn't stop when you exit the game?

I turned the game off last night with full morale, tons of supplies, and a few cars.

I fired it up a little bit ago and morale is almost 0, I'm missing a bunch of supplies and my cars are either gone or on fire.

Soooo is this a bug or a feature? Looks like a feature, but not one I think I like.

Fleeb on
    edited May 2015
    Fleeb wrote: »

I turned the game off last night with full morale, tons of supplies, and a few cars.

I fired it up a little bit ago and morale is almost 0, I'm missing a bunch of supplies and my cars are either gone or on fire.

Soooo is this a bug or a feature? Looks like a feature, but not one I think I like.

It's a feature. Each day that passes has exponentially less impact, up to 7 days after which nothing is tracked anymore. So, you won't come back after a month's hiatus to find your entire game a smoldering crater or anything. It's incentive to make sure your base is in a good place before you stop so that things don't get out of hand.

The joyriding is maybe one of the worst things in the game though. It happens when you have "too many" cars and your people start seeing them as expendable, but it's also complete garbage. Luckily it can be modded out.

I'd recommend trying to play with the time passing on for a bit longer to see if you can get used to it, and if not then: http://zombiestandardtime.com/ . That site isn't completely accurate though, since survivors cannot die or go missing while you aren't playing unless there have already been warnings about their mental or health state.

Aistan on

That looks good, thanks for the link!

I'll give it a shot for a bit longer on persistent. The lost supplies I can deal with, but the huge morale drop really rubbed me wrong. Literally went from 100% green to maybe 1/4. And the game had been off for less than 24 hours :-/

As you play more you'll find morale is pretty easy to get back up again. Almost everything adds to it, so if you're a compulsive scavenger like me you'll have it back to max just after a few supply runs. Then after a while when you have a ton of resources you can spend them on morale events like meals and such. It's really just to keep you from getting complacent.

It's a feature. Each day that passes has exponentially less impact, up to 7 days after which nothing is tracked anymore. So, you won't come back after a month's hiatus to find your entire game a smoldering crater or anything. It's incentive to make sure your base is in a good place before you stop so that things don't get out of hand.

The joyriding is maybe one of the worst things in the game though. It happens when you have "too many" cars and your people start seeing them as expendable, but it's also complete garbage. Luckily it can be modded out.

I'd recommend trying to play with the time passing on for a bit longer to see if you can get used to it, and if not then: http://zombiestandardtime.com/ . That site isn't completely accurate though, since survivors cannot die or go missing while you aren't playing unless there have already been warnings about their mental or health state.

Wait? I never even knew joyriding was a thing that the AI could do. But I only kept one or two cars on site. o_O

I kept the warehouse as my base. It's still the best one, right?

That's the other thing about breakdown... would I just be repeatedly building up the warehouse or is there an incentive to not just go there every time?

Oh hey while you're here and you seem to know what you're talking about :D is there an easy way to transfer items between characters in the field? Say I'm out scavenging with Billy Bob and I have a backpack full of weapons and want to give him one... how can I do that?

Wait? I never even knew joyriding was a thing that the AI could do. But I only kept one or two cars on site. o_O

That's the other thing about breakdown... would I just be repeatedly building up the warehouse or is there an incentive to not just go there every time?

The warehouse has basically zero defenses. It's good to start as you build up resources, but as you go up in the difficulties it might be better to get a smaller one like the place with the treehouse since you'll be relying mostly on the survivors you're bringing with you rather than hoping to find new ones to recruit.

edited May 2015
    Oh hey while you're here and you seem to know what you're talking about :D is there an easy way to transfer items between characters in the field? Say I'm out scavenging with Billy Bob and I have a backpack full of weapons and want to give him one... how can I do that?

afaik the only way to do that is to stash the item and then have the other character grab/buy it.

tastydonuts on
    edited May 2015

The warehouse has basically zero defenses. It's good to start as you build up resources, but as you go up in the difficulties it might be better to get a smaller one like the place with the treehouse since you'll be relying mostly on the survivors you're bringing with you rather than hoping to find new ones to recruit.

So you're saying that I won't be able to establish a stable base with 20 some survivors every level?

edit: all my survivors were addicted to the various drugs and painkillers. also coffee.

tastydonuts on

afaik the only way to do that is to stash the item and then have the other character grab/buy it.

Bummer. Thanks for confirming that I'm not just missing something :D

edited May 2015

Bummer. Thanks for confirming that I'm not just missing something :D

Nope! in this case... the game is! Well, sort of. A drop/pick-up option would have broken the influence economy for weapons and stuff; basically random survivors become free items (edit: and/or mules)...

well, they still can be that but only if you're more of an evil band of survivors.

tastydonuts on
    edited June 2015
    so... I'm trying to like lifeline, but after the third time a civilian survivor gets spawned in the middle of 10 zombies and torn to shreds within 30 seconds it's... starting to be a little obnoxious.

edit: so... today Sasquatch gets downed and decides that he should just drop a molotov on himself as I tried to rescue him because fuck you and now I have to start the game over.

it's official: buying State of Decay: YOSE was a mistake.

tastydonuts on
  • PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    Was there some reason they couldn't add the Lifeline map into Breakdown? I feel like I hardly got to explore it at all because of the timed game mechanics.

pmdunk.jpg
    Phonehand wrote: »
    Was there some reason they couldn't add the Lifeline map into Breakdown? I feel like I hardly got to explore it at all because of the timed game mechanics.

Didn't exist when they released Breakdown originally? But it would be nice to mix it up with vanilla rules on that map. The only problem is there's just the one home base. But for the purposes of YOSE, they didn't change much with the rerelease as far as mechanics. Even kept in some of the same bugs.

Also adjusting my outpost placements pretty much made Lifeline less stupid. The downside is now I have nothing but time between sieges... really kind of lopsided in that respect.