As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Superhero Thread: Vision is Your New Favorite Superhero

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Is that what your mom tells you?
    She tells me a lot of things!

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    0pYcVMgh.jpg

I love this comic

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    I forgot today was FCBD.

That Simonson Thor stiff looks amazing. I'm buying volume 1 on payday.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Regarding some questions about AoU
    Thor probably knew a little something about what happened on Xandar, seeing as Asgard is a part of galactic society to some extent.

As for Nick Fury coming back, that part actually does require knowledge of event is AoS, though you can probably sum it up as SHIELD is back and has been rebuilt from the ground up.

At least, that's my interpretation with Steve saying, "Now that's what SHIELD's supposed to be."

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Huh, that new mobile game is decent fun.

But man all it really does is make me want a new fully-produced console/pc game that isn't f2p.

Ceno on
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    okay Squirrel Girl #4 is super funny

I should probably be getting this

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Mr. G wrote: »
    There are a lot of plusses but her costume really bugs me
    f_hawkeye_katebishop.png
    I know it's probably a Young Avengers thing but what even is that

I love this costume. Tons of style.

Like it way more than her current one.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Grabbed Silver Surfer Requiem from the library so @SilverWind could read it. Ended up rereading it myself while she's napping

God

I am just the biggest, most sentimental crybaby

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    There are a lot of plusses but her costume really bugs me
    f_hawkeye_katebishop.png
    I know it's probably a Young Avengers thing but what even is that

I love this costume. Tons of style.

Like it way more than her current one.

It looks trashy and it makes no sense for her midriff to be exposed. It looks like a homey costume from Saint's Row.

• Options
    Her midriff is exposed because she is a 20 year old lady who likes to show off her rocking abs

Girls wear stuff like that (the midriff part not the armored archery stuff) in real life fairly often

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Some more thoughts about AoU
    The Nat/Bruce romance felt like a total waste of space and time. It wasn't... forced, exactly, but it didn't feel natural, either. I don't think it was necessary in any way to put Bruce where he was at the end of the movie, and it didn't add anything to my experience.

Nat being captured was also a waste of time. There was, as far as I can tell, no point to it. Ultron being a grandstanding bastard should have led to him telling the Avengers where he was, rather than having a scene of Black Widow being captured and inexplicably locked up with a radio to signal Hawkeye.

The dream sequences in Africa were tonally dissonant and pretty shit. They didn't further the plot, and most importantly they didn't demonstrate how Ultron was scary. Tony's vision at the start was critical, but everyone else didn't reveal anything about the characters that we didn't know.

Speaking of, Jesus christ that conversation between Nat and Bruce at the farmhouse reads poorly.

Thor felt really uniquely irrelevant in this movie. I'm not sure how they could have corrected that, but it really didn't feel like there was anything for him to do. If I think about it, he did quite a bit with Mjolnir and interacting with the others, but... eh. It didn't feel weighty or character building, we didn't learn anything about him in this movie.

I despised the visual design for Ultron’s face. The classic look would have translated SO WELL to screen.

I really enjoyed all the action sequences, though. They were easy to follow, set clear stakes, used all the characters well, and looked FUCKING AWESOME. The climax was exceptionally well set and executed, and really damn fun to watch.

Also, I liked the new characters. Vision, Scarlet Witch, and Quicksilver were actually all great. It's a fucking waste to kill Quicksilver (although his hair was awful) so I'm interested to see if and how they'll bring him back. SW was a lot better than I expected, and Vision was 100% perfect and I couldn't ask for a better character.
    Ultron had a great personality, it threw me at first before I realized he was a psychopathic homicidal Tony Stark.

Also, the general structure of the movie felt exactly like a comic book arc, which was really cool. And they finally used the goddamn unibeam so FUCKING THANK YOU.

Ultimately I'm ecstatic that Whedon won't be doing any more of these, but this movie as a whole was a lot better than I had feared before watching it. What a stupid shitty fucking cut at the end of the movie, though. It doesn't make any sense for non comic book fans and it just kind of spits in the eye of fans. Fuck You, Whedon. I hate you!

Current Marvel Rankings
    1. Winter Soldier
    2. Iron Man 3
    3. Iron Man
    4. Thor
    5. The Dark World
    6. Captain America: The First Avenger
    7. Iron Man 2
    8. Age of Ultron
    9. Avengers
    10. Incredible Hulk
    11. Guardians of the Galaxy

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    the guy hawk costumes are awesome

costume_hawkeye_longsleeve.pngcostume_hawkeye_sweats_variant.png

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    I actually like that Kate costume more too

Like I get her current look is all 60s retro like Fraction did with her storylines in Hawkeye but YA Kate looks like a proper superhero

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I do use the Kate costume when I play Hawkeye

Which granted has not been recently, since I was waiting for an update and haven't gotten back in to give it a shot since he got tweaked recently

Also just got out of AoU, enjoyed Vision way more than I was expecting

• Options
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I do use the Kate costume when I play Hawkeye

Which granted has not been recently, since I was waiting for an update and haven't gotten back in to give it a shot since he got tweaked recently

Also just got out of AoU, enjoyed Vision way more than I was expecting

Vision is super good.

• Options
    Vision was excellent, and I really liked that
    they very briefly teased Wanda and Vision flying in and rescuing her from the rubble and having that lingering shot of her in his arms.

Just please don't drag in the AM I A REAL MAN???? stuff

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Yeah Vision was easily one of my favorite parts

Although I had a lot of favorite parts

My favorite probably being

(AoU spoilers)
    Fury showing up with the Helicarrier

I whispered "You son of a bitch"

And then a few seconds later Cap said the exact same thing

It was magical

• Options

(AoU spoilers)

It was magical
    LANGUAGE

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular

(AoU spoilers)

It was magical
    Do you kiss your mother with that mouth?

• Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »

(AoU spoilers)

It was magical
    LANGUAGE
    I loved this running joke

It helped make the Avengers feel like a coherent group with like, in-jokes

• Options
    Her midriff is exposed because she is a 20 year old lady who likes to show off her rocking abs

Girls wear stuff like that (the midriff part not the armored archery stuff) in real life fairly often

Yeah, I guess
    But I hate exposed midriffs for super heroines

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Vision was excellent, and I really liked that
    they very briefly teased Wanda and Vision flying in and rescuing her from the rubble and having that lingering shot of her in his arms.

Just please don't drag in the AM I A REAL MAN???? stuff

Vision stuff
    Not only is that the most tiresome-ass Vision writing, I feel like it would fly directly in the face of his characterization in this film where he seems very accepting of what he is.

• Options
    Another thing with Age of Ultron which is like, the most minor of spoilers
    I loved loved loved that Cap's fighting style seemed derivative of the stuff in Winter Soldier

Having seen the first Avengers the night before I saw Avengers 2, he was so much less interesting to watch fight in that than he was in TWS/AoU

I was worried there'd be some kind of regression, but there wasn't!

• Options
    I loved loved loved that Cap's fighting style seemed derivative of the stuff in Winter Soldier

Having seen the first Avengers the night before I saw Avengers 2, he was so much less interesting to watch fight in that than he was in TWS/AoU

I was really hoping that we'd get to see some
    Cap vs Hulk. Alas!

• Options
    Just like writers took elements they liked from Avengers and brought then into the comics (Science Bros, Widow and Hawkeye's close friendship, Widow's ledger, etc.) I really hope elements of MCU Wanda, Pietro and Vision are brought into the comics because they were all great versions of the chatacters that used the best parts of their personalities/back stories.

Give me a Vision ongoing inspired by AoU Vision please.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Actually no wait my favorite part was

(AoU)
    "Please be a secret door, please be a secret door, please be a secret door...

yay!"

• Options
    The predicament I currently find myself in is now the movie has made me very interested in the character of Scarlet Witch

But I don't know if there are any comics I can read because I specifically want the MCU Scarlet Witch

I had a similar situation after Guardians came out because the comic versions were fairly different

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Rainfall wrote: »

I was really hoping that we'd get to see some
    Cap vs Hulk. Alas!

https://youtu.be/Jb5YpiMIvPU?t=2m37s Pretty much how that was described

AlphaRomero on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    The predicament I currently find myself in is now the movie has made me very interested in the character of Scarlet Witch

But I don't know if there are any comics I can read because I specifically want the MCU Scarlet Witch

I had a similar situation after Guardians came out because the comic versions were fairly different

Scarlet Witch has a very inconsistent (and generally poor) history in terms of how she's been written in the comics, both in terms of personality and power sets.

The version in Uncanny Avengers is the only one that's ever felt like a real character to me, but it's not the same character from the movie.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    AoU/Vision
    I love how there's a slight implication that Vision is essentially the platonic ideal of Tony as a hero, being the combination of Ultron and JARVIS

I'm gonna be really sad when Thanos inevitably makes his move for the Mind Gem and probably crushes Vision for it

• Options
    A similar situation

Scarlet Witch is super fun in Marvel Heroes

Store_ScarletWitch_Classic.png
    But good lord is this classic look terrible

Their rendition of the movie costume is so much better

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Rainfall wrote: »
    Some more thoughts about AoU
    The Nat/Bruce romance felt like a total waste of space and time. It wasn't... forced, exactly, but it didn't feel natural, either. I don't think it was necessary in any way to put Bruce where he was at the end of the movie, and it didn't add anything to my experience.

Nat being captured was also a waste of time. There was, as far as I can tell, no point to it. Ultron being a grandstanding bastard should have led to him telling the Avengers where he was, rather than having a scene of Black Widow being captured and inexplicably locked up with a radio to signal Hawkeye.

The dream sequences in Africa were tonally dissonant and pretty shit. They didn't further the plot, and most importantly they didn't demonstrate how Ultron was scary. Tony's vision at the start was critical, but everyone else didn't reveal anything about the characters that we didn't know.

Speaking of, Jesus christ that conversation between Nat and Bruce at the farmhouse reads poorly.

Thor felt really uniquely irrelevant in this movie. I'm not sure how they could have corrected that, but it really didn't feel like there was anything for him to do. If I think about it, he did quite a bit with Mjolnir and interacting with the others, but... eh. It didn't feel weighty or character building, we didn't learn anything about him in this movie.

I despised the visual design for Ultron’s face. The classic look would have translated SO WELL to screen.

I really enjoyed all the action sequences, though. They were easy to follow, set clear stakes, used all the characters well, and looked FUCKING AWESOME. The climax was exceptionally well set and executed, and really damn fun to watch.

Also, I liked the new characters. Vision, Scarlet Witch, and Quicksilver were actually all great. It's a fucking waste to kill Quicksilver (although his hair was awful) so I'm interested to see if and how they'll bring him back. SW was a lot better than I expected, and Vision was 100% perfect and I couldn't ask for a better character.

Ultron had a great personality, it threw me at first before I realized he was a psychopathic homicidal Tony Stark.

Also, the general structure of the movie felt exactly like a comic book arc, which was really cool. And they finally used the goddamn unibeam so FUCKING THANK YOU.

Ultimately I'm ecstatic that Whedon won't be doing any more of these, but this movie as a whole was a lot better than I had feared before watching it. What a stupid shitty fucking cut at the end of the movie, though. It doesn't make any sense for non comic book fans and it just kind of spits in the eye of fans. Fuck You, Whedon. I hate you!

Current Marvel Rankings
    1. Winter Soldier
    2. Iron Man 3
    3. Iron Man
    4. Thor
    5. The Dark World
    6. Captain America: The First Avenger
    7. Iron Man 2
    8. Age of Ultron
    9. Avengers
    10. Incredible Hulk
    11. Guardians of the Galaxy
    Personally I like the Natasha/Bruce romance angle because of the inherent chemistry between the two characters, as archetypes they are very much naturally dispossessed towards an interesting romantic tryst. She's a deadly killer trying to be better, he's a monster trying not to be, so there's a shared pain, but also their histories and personalities are different enough to make them seem interesting together.

I agree that the whole fact that it's easy to misconceive (heh) Natasha being unable to have kids as her reasoning as to what makes her a monster makes that scene rather poorly done. Again, I'd blame editing here. And the whole ending of the romance where Hulk goes off by himself felt very trite and contrived, very much Whedon at his worse rather than his best.

Thor felt decent in the movie to me, yeah I'd have liked him to do more, but he got some good lines and looked cool and, as a character, he's a pretty stable and emotionally controlled kind of person, he's had his fall and he's risen up and now it's all good.

Ultron looked okay to me. Liked the overall design but yes the classic comic face would have been way better IMO. Ultron being evil Tony Stark worked quite well although his personality seemed very haphazard despite that. I did like how much of the bad guy Tony is in AoU, though. Dude keeps on fucking everything up and won't listen to anyone.

Quicksilver was a massive fucking waste, yeah. Whedon, again, at his worst. Absolutely crap death, and out of the two twins, he was more likeable anyway, though I do think that Wanda has loads of potential, it just wasn't explore much. Vision was the best, best best best forever.

Overall I think I liked it more than you but yes I definitely share your misgivings about certain parts. Plus, the pacing of the movie is not good IMO, it didn't feel like a comic book arc to me, it felt like a badly paced movie. Shouldn't have cut so much!

• Options
    edited May 2015
    We already know a Scarlet Witch series is on the way in some capacity

I've never been a huge fan of Wanda but if she becomes more like badass, confident MCU Wanda and less "Oh hey I got a new writer so my powers are different and also I'm unstable and maybe crazy?" I'd be on board

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    To this day, I don't know what powers 616's Scarlet Witch actually has.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    TrippyJing wrote: »

shrug.jpeg

• Options
    Her current costume is much better since she's wearing actual clothes instead of that weird bathing suit/pantyhose looking thing, but she still has the dumb tiara which I am pretty sure I will never ever like.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    There have been like a billion different explanations and every writer seems to have a new one

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Also one concern I have about movies going forward after the way Ultron leaves things
    It feels like there's too much plot to get through to conceivably see the New Avengers in action

And boy I would love to see plenty of them

Cap, Scarlet Witch, War Machine, Falcon, Vision, and...is Black Widow still part? I'm assuming so?

Is such a great lineup that I almost wish we could have a whole movie dedicated to just seeing them in action instead of the Civil War and Thanos plots breathing down the MCU's neck

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    A similar situation

Scarlet Witch is super fun in Marvel Heroes

Store_ScarletWitch_Classic.png
    But good lord is this classic look terrible

Their rendition of the movie costume is so much better

Yeah that costume is the sole reason I bought one in the last BOGO sale, picked up the Marvel NOW version instead :

Store_ScarletWitch_MarvelNOW.png

Much better!

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options

it basically depends on who's writing her and what they want her to do in the story

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.