As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Roll for initiative! Enc makes some D&D Illustrations?

EncEnc A Fool with CompassionPronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
edited August 2020 in Artist's Corner
Hey all,

I’m an amateur GM for a pathfinder campaign (I’ve worked on it for about a year now) and over the last year I started using Roll20 as my primary tool for hosting my game. This gives me an online tool for hosting a game and, combined with Skype, my players meet for a weekly fantasy setting campaign.

Roll20, for those unfamiliar, is an online meeting system similar to Adobe Connect only oriented towards Dungeons & Dragons, Pathfinder, and other tabletop games. The system has three “layers”, a map layer, an object layer (for player tokens and moving objects) and a GM layer where hidden objects and notes can be held. Unfortunately, Roll20’s interface gets really slow when you make your map layer from dozens of cobbled together images, so to counter this I started making my own maps that included everything but furniture, doors, and NPCs/Enemies. While I experimented in importing some of the Roll20 bits of furniture to my maps (such as the Castle Charm one), they typically prove to me more restrictive than helpful as I cannot change their position or other effects if they are part of the background jpeg.

I make world maps:

Wacd2Bu1

and encounter maps:

oZetExyl

Most of what I have made are found in the below spoiler (to save on loading time):

Castle Charm:
6NxbyLEV

Northern Lockwood:
yIEsuemK

Merrydale:
5JEps9Oq

Carillon (Streets)
WVBy2Cvs

Grandmill Court
z7eo81f5

Grandmill 3d Maps
tLYOmAq9
VJhxV1cr
vHR6gdaZ
oZetExyl
6d2UK78I
y0CWTtCg
LH44uqEw
mwJFAQ5w
0je285lq
MNKJeeyy
pm01WG9n

@DaMoonRulz 's world map (commission)
siAgctWF

Sabu Island
ds0J1zPI
u3JyvNbT
f8fWKEvh
pQ7BKStS

My goal is to learn and improve, and to post the maps I make as I move forward here for anyone who wants to use them for their own campaigns. Thanks for reading, and I hope you’ll leave some comments!

If you want a map made, PM me!

Enc on

• Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    Neat! I'd suggest to make some of the shadows less harsh. Specifically on the first map you posted. Also, I'd decrease the leading of the location text on the last map.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Hey wow, an AC thread that for which I have applicable skills. :P

Have you ever used maptools? Used that for years and ran most of my games off that.

My question to you would be what's the scale on these maps? It is of course, mechanically dependent on the game itself but I don't get a good read of it. You might want to go through the prefabs and adjust them all so they're the same scale, I'd suggest creating transitional tiles for the carpet/wood and such.

Are they used for combat? From a gameplay perspective you have a lot of chokepoints/narrow corridors.

Lastly, did you mean Versity or Varsity?

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    I think the first one is the most successful of the bunch, simply because it's sooo easy to tell what is "outside", and what is "inside". Try not to change the values of things too much, when they're meant to be pathable. What I mean by that is if you have a very light wood floor, try not to put a very dark carpet on top of it. If you can stick with having all the walls be very dark, or very light...and then make the pathable areas the opposite, that would help a lot in terms of readability. Having the walls be mid-tones, and then having "super darks" and "super lights" be within the rooms, it can look a little confusing.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    My question to you would be what's the scale on these maps? It is of course, mechanically dependent on the game itself but I don't get a good read of it. You might want to go through the prefabs and adjust them all so they're the same scale, I'd suggest creating transitional tiles for the carpet/wood and such. Are they used for combat? From a gameplay perspective you have a lot of chokepoints/narrow corridors.

They vary, Roll 20 allows you to set up your squares or hexes in game and you can adjust as you need. In game, for example, Castle Charm looks a bit like this:
    9mx3XpdZ

But I can make that bridge one square across, or twenty, depending on the needs of the map. Most of my maps have a convention where hallways are approximately 2-3 squares wide (10-15 feet) unless things are supposed to be very tight. My campaign has a semi-common Large sized race which would need a 10foot wide hallway to walk normally (Lady Clont in that screenshot is one of these large folk).

Most of our maps are single map campaigns to run the entire night, ranging about 30-150 squares (at five foot squares). The maps are used for both exploration and combat, with where I place encounters being more specifically targeted by the area. As above, the bridge might have only one enemy that can't easily be surrounded, while a large chamber would be used for multiple target encounters. I have a few "arena" locations (such as with the Merrydale Map) where the throne room and dining room (the large carpeted rooms at the top of the map) have about a dozen or more targets to potentially fight.
    Lastly, did you mean Versity or Varsity?

Versity (like University with the Uni chopped off). The entire map/setting naming convention is a fairly terrible hodgepodge of NE Orlando locations with terribly rebuilt names for inside joke reasons (they all have house names associated with them).
    NibCrom wrote: »
    Neat! I'd suggest to make some of the shadows less harsh. Specifically on the first map you posted. Also, I'd decrease the leading of the location text on the last map.

Which one are you referring to as first? Versity or Charm?

I think the first one is the most successful of the bunch, simply because it's sooo easy to tell what is "outside", and what is "inside". Try not to change the values of things too much, when they're meant to be pathable. What I mean by that is if you have a very light wood floor, try not to put a very dark carpet on top of it. If you can stick with having all the walls be very dark, or very light...and then make the pathable areas the opposite, that would help a lot in terms of readability. Having the walls be mid-tones, and then having "super darks" and "super lights" be within the rooms, it can look a little confusing.

I'll try this on my next map, thanks for the tip! I've heard a comment rooted in this in game where players say "I climb the tree" referring to the carpet texture you see in the Castle Charm map because it stood out so much from the rest of the room players thought it must have been important.

Enc on
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    NibCrom wrote: »

Which one are you referring to as first? Versity or Charm?

Yeah, I was referring to Versity. Might not be relevant advice since that's your old map.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    ~Moved to OP~

I'm working on a few new encounter maps right now using the above comments. I recently got the world map refreshed a bit, and tips or crits? I'd like to get this nice and polished up before a print job I'm going to do for some of my layers next month.

Update: I'm considering adding hills/swams/foliage areas to the map somehow as well, but I'm torn between using some sort of premade brush or hand rendering.

Enc on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    I think you can get alot more engaged with your text placement.
    tumblr_nl2gmumFLE1s6c1p2o1_1280.jpg
    This text is curved and placed to stay in the shape of the area its labeling. This give the borders themselves a little more fidelity, and is more pleasing to the eye. Opacity is also varied, not just size, to give a little hierarchy to the information you are receiving.

Even on maps where the text is rigid, angle and size are used to some effect:
    tumblr_n1egbsuu3x1qawllwo1_1280.jpg

Super strait text is more common now in maps, but they are also mostly digital. You can navigate by zooming, making some of the older tricks unnecessary on modern maps.

Im going to assume that hand lettering is outside of your interest. If you have illustrator, its tools for manipulating text are a lot more robust than photoshop.

• Options
    gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    Oh, hey, roll20 maps. These look really good, Enc.

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
  • Options
    Thanks guys, that's exactly what I was looking for. I only have Photoshop, but I think I can start rotating and working on the text a bit more. I'll work on this today and see if I can get a better version up tonight.

• Options
    If you rasterize the text you can use the full spectrum of transform tools on it, but you will no longer be able to edit it. Illustrator has the benefit of being able to manipulate the objects with alot less permanence, but work with the tool you have. If you have the oppurtunity to grab an old copy of illustrator CS5 or something, it would be a good addition to your toolset.

Anyway, I would save off a separate version of your map before you start rasterizing everything,

• Options
    edited June 2015
    ~Moved to OP~

New version. I decided not to add trees and such since it made the map unreadably busy.

Enc on
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    ~Moved to OP~

Map for next session. Glass panes for the windows, furniture, and doors will be added in the game layers. I tried to increase the contrast (especially as it is a night-time urban map). Any thoughts on how to improve it?

Enc on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    You are doing some absolutely terrific work. I wish I had the skill to make maps this good!

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    aqyuPDCI

Here's what part of that map looks in game. The windows and doors are objects players can break, while most of the tables and such are on a lower layer. You can also see the GM layer text in green for things that I put notes on. Figured it would be a bit easier to see what I'm working towards in the basic maps by seeing the end set.

• Options
    The world map looks way better, nice adjustments.

• Options
    vMlOByz1

This is the second to last map in my current story arc in this city environment. On this map players visited a local guild hall to find it overrun with necromancers and worse from a rival guild. My players made a lot of use of shattering windows to travel, almost entirely ignoring doors and secret passages for climbing through windows, because "Well a window can't be trapped, right?"

This week's game: introducing trapped windows.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    ~Moved to OP~

Been working with 3d shapes for this map. It takes forever! But I think it's coming along well.

I have no idea how to do windows or doors so far, but still!

Enc on
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    So, @Iruka is my new favorite person for introducing me to sketchup. My next map is coming along really, really well!

eGCkeYXM

~rest Moved to OP~

Enc on
  • Options
    You took to that like a duck to water. I feel like we need to improve your textures, but that is outside of my expertise.

• Options
    I've had a hard time finding good seamless textures that aren't bonkers expensive ($400+ for ten). If anyone knows of a good source I'd be most appreciative.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    So some of the materials for my next game:
    oZetExyl
    ~rest Moved to OP~

The party will be infiltrating a steampunk city to stop an airship fleet from departing (if it gets away it will bomb their hometown).

Enc on
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    ~Moved to OP~

Enc on
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    ~Moved to OP~

Enc on
  • Options
    So, is all this being produced for your small group of friends? Is there anyway for other people to see all this stuff you've put togethet?

• Options
    I'm making a website to house our house rules and to have our encounter maps for free download, but aside from that I haven't really looked into distributing them. Selling encounter maps is really tricky given the licencing rules of Pathfinder and D&D.

• Options
    Im more curious if you've ever tried to record a play session with your friends, or something similar?

• Options
    Huh, I could try that.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    ~Moved to OP~

Updated map with the new expansion we are starting in the Fall. I'm not really happy with the road lines though. Any suggestions?

Enc on
  • Options
    Just spent the last 72 hours recoding our pathfinder sheet in Roll20.
    BquAvy3t
    CTUlsCqv
    6oT3yIL9
    xmP8BW9M
    gpcsp3KP

Five down, three pages to go >.<

• Options
    edited May 2015
    siAgctWF

A commission request from DaMoonRulz!

Enc on
  • Options
    acadiaacadia Registered User regular
    This looks like some professional level shit. I wouldn't be surprised to see one of these maps in the box of the latest *popular board game here*.

• Options
    Oh wow, thanks!

• Options
    edited June 2015
    ~Moved to OP~

Another pass at my game map.

Enc on
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Final pass of my game map (about to get it printed and put on canvas if i can afford it) and some new maps:

Wacd2Bu1

Enc on
  • Options
    So! First pass of my new campaign:
    The town of Mullenstone is a peaceful, quiet place. In the years following the collapse of the Kingdom of Ovid, where wars and violence were common, Mullenstone stayed largely unnoticed. A quiet sanctuary in the wooded hills along the Econ River.

50 years after the burning of Grandmill and the end of the Ovid Succession crisis, the various nobles ruling the lands of Ovid have seen a quieter, but tenuous, peace return to the realm. This peace is perhaps misleading, as disputes over who owns, protects, and taxes which town remain common, with many smaller hamlets and villages being left largely to themselves. Mullenstone is no exception to this, and has seen its fair share of bandit raids and local hooligan wizards cause mischief from time to time. When such troubles arise, the folk of the village gather together to face whatever problems come their way, as no one from the surrounding noble houses can generally be counted on in times of crisis.

It appears that troubled times may have come again. Several of the outlying farms have gone silent, their families and laborers having apparently vanished without a trace. Stories of still warm dinners and empty fields are whispered in hushed tones over drinks at the Briarthorn Tavern. Strange shadows have been seen in the deep forests along the road into town. Farmers speak of animals acting up, or more troubling, being found brutally slaughtered in the field.

As autumn approaches, the mayor has convened a town council to address these concerns… surely this is just a case of simple bandits, or at worst a feral bear growing too bold for it’s own good. The town will see this threat dealt with. There clearly is nothing to worry about.

But as you approach town square, you do find yourself worried. Worried about your home. Worried about the future. Grey clouds loom overhead, the first chill breeze of fall stirs the turning leaves. The town seems to be holding it’s breath.

Troubles have come again to Mullenstone.

Here is the campaign map for this arc (as of this afternoon). Rather than a massive, nation-wide struggle this one is going to be much more intimate and every player character will be part of the community (one of my players is a miner, another works at the shrine, etc.).

agdXc4tG

• Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Keep it up man lovin' these! This latest one the outline is making the smaller fonts near impossible to read, hopefully they'll be bigger printed? Solid color and maybe an outer glow might be a good fix, an outer glow or darken the area under the font a bit?

These totally remind me of Baldur's Gate maps, which are my favorite (I'm sure the font choice is helping that as well haha). Really cool work.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    I need some way beyond watercolor to indicate the hills on this map, and I don't want to use heavy hashlines. Any ideas?

I'll work on the font a bit tonight. I agree it's way to hard to read on the small, but at the same time if I grow the size any more I wont have room for map detail. Maybe I can increase the soft glow opacity and drop the stroke.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Contour lines? I think coloir intensity for topography is a pretty good method though.

• Options
    I think I found a way to use my bevel tools to look right on the canvas texture for topography! I'll have an update by this evening. :D

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Second pass, tweaked the colors and added the topography. What do you think?

QX1KJdss

Enc on