As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Unreal Tournament 3: PC demo out now!

• Options
    WibodWibod Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The demo is capped at 60fps, I also hate how the vehicles have become cardboard boxes. Seriously being in a tank just turns you into a bigger target. I'm kinda undecided about the lack any real jumping ability, but I'm leaning towards not liking it because it completely killed my DM game.

And is it just me or is the flak cannons projectiles bugged? They seem to clip through other players at times, which is really annoying.

Wibod on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Wibod wrote: »
    The demo is capped at 60fps, I also hate how the vehicles have become cardboard boxes. Seriously being in a tank just turns you into a bigger target. I'm kinda undecided about the lack any real jumping ability, but I'm leaning towards not liking it because it completely killed my DM game.

And is it just me or is the flak cannons projectiles bugged? They seem to clip through other players at times, which is really annoying.

First, it depends which tank you are talking about. About the flak cannon, it can be a pain with server lag, but I don't have that issue with bots at all.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I like that they put feign death back in. If you use it smart it's pure comedy to pop up behind a guy and shred him with your flak cannon. However, some people are retarded and will feign out in the middle of nowhere hoping someone will run by and suspect nothing. Gibbing these guys with rockets is fun though.

On VCTF it's frustrating as hell trying to get someone to grapple on to your manta and go for a flag run. It's also frustrating when you grapple a manta and they refuse to take you to the flag.

Drool on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Here's a good video to describe the new gametype they have added, or will have added when it release.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/24281.html

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    FodderFodder Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The shortened jumping still sort of bothers me because there are a lot of ledges that it seems like you ought to be able to jump up to, but just barely can't. It also makes using the RL a bit more difficult, but it's really not a dealbreaker.

Also, for anyone that hadn't figured it out, you can hold down the RMB when you're using the sniper rifle to zoom farther. I realize thats how it's been for ages, but I've been playing too many source games recently >.>

Fodder on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Fodder wrote: »
    The shortened jumping still sort of bothers me because there are a lot of ledges that it seems like you ought to be able to jump up to, but just barely can't. It also makes using the RL a bit more difficult, but it's really not a dealbreaker.

Also, for anyone that hadn't figured it out, you can hold down the RMB when you're using the sniper rifle to zoom farther. I realize thats how it's been for ages, but I've been playing too many source games recently >.>

Yeah I didn't realize that until late last night. I was having a hard time sniping on Suspense with the default zoom.

I think the shorter jump just makes getting the jump boots that much better. There are quite a few places you can jump to if you grab those. I still haven't found them on Suspense, anyone know where they are? Some guy was making awesome use of them when stealing our flag last night. He would just grab them and jump over our base and be gone.

Drool on
  • Options
    j0hnz3rj0hnz3r Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I played the demo for about 2 hours over the weekend. Aside from the shiny new UE3, which despite the fact I have an aging computer runs decently, I was entirely unimpressed with the entire outing.

It all just feels same-ish to me. Maybe I'm over the run-and-gun style of game play that is Unreal Tournament, but after Team Fortress 2, and Quake Wars, that style just feels dated. The gameplay feels more or less the same as what came before. I don't think it's even the team based element, it's as if they didn't try, having spent more time on getting the engine running with pretty, shiny graphics. I even feel that the graphics hurt it a bit, since the shape and texture on all the weapons seems very similar.

I guess you don't want to piss off the core audience by changing everything, but I dunno, I was hoping for more. I used to be pretty loyal to Unreal, and I still play UT2k4 on occasion, but Epic definitely won't be getting my money this time.

j0hnz3r on
    jedi_watchtower.png
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    And, again, the demo doesn't have Warfare mode, which is the big new gametype they're promoting for for this iteration. It's supposed to combine Onslaught (which was great in UT2004) with Assault-like objectives. I wouldn't be too quick to put off the game seeing as how the demo only came with deathmatch and CTF, which has been in every FPS game since ever.

Oh, and having the rocket launcher being able to shoot grenades again is a win, even though the strange new physics means I couldn't use them worth a damn anymore.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Zxerol wrote: »
    And, again, the demo doesn't have Warfare mode, which is the big new gametype they're promoting for for this iteration. It's supposed to combine Onslaught (which was great in UT2004) with Assault-like objectives. I wouldn't be too quick to put off the game seeing as how the demo only came with deathmatch and CTF, which has been in every FPS game since ever.

Oh, and having the rocket launcher being able to shoot grenades again is a win, even though the strange new physics means I couldn't use them worth a damn anymore.

I really don't get why they didn't include one of those maps. I mean, the UT2004 demo included one onslaught and one one assault map as well. WF is supposed to be the biggy this time around, just seems weird that they wouldn't include an example of it in the demo. Unless there's only like, two maps or something stupid like that.

Also, I miss that you can't fire a tight spread from the RL anymore. It was useful for taking on vehicles.

subedii on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    subedii wrote: »
    Also, I miss that you can't fire a tight spread from the RL anymore. It was useful for taking on vehicles.

You still can. When loading up the rockets with right-click, pressing left-click once will fire them in a spiral (like 2003/4), and pressing it twice will lob grenades. Unless you're talking about something else completely.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    subedii wrote: »
    Zxerol wrote: »

I really don't get why they didn't include one of those maps. I mean, the UT2004 demo included one onslaught and one one assault map as well. WF is supposed to be the biggy this time around, just seems weird that they wouldn't include an example of it in the demo. Unless there's only like, two maps or something stupid like that.

The maps are probably huge for that gametype. The demo file size would have been pushed up quite a bit, probably (They're 3 times bigger than the ONS maps from UT2k4).

The problem with deathmatch is that it's too easy to die right after you spawn without ever seeing the person that killed you. I guess that'd be fixed with less players on the server, though. It just gets a little frustrating.

Centipeed on
  • Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I am dead, yet I don't know why.

How is a man supposed to improve at a game if it doesn't tell you how you messed up and ended up dead. Seeing your corpse explode isn't quite enough.

I also raise my eyebrows at how fast you die. Huge marines wearing armour that makes you look like a man-tank, and you die in 3-4 shots.

What's the armour made out of? Paper?

After playing the demo, I have to say it doesn't feel as fun as UT 2004. I want to see the full game before passing judgement though.

Gumpy on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I was kind of unimpressed with this.

I like 2K4, but other than looking pretty, I don't think it's the game for me.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    XaboraXabora Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Gumpy wrote: »
    After playing the demo, I have to say it doesn't feel as fun as UT 2004. I want to see the full game before passing judgement though.
    I know.
    It feels more like a mix between old school UT and 2k4.

And that I like! :D
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unreal_Tournament

Xabora on
  • Options
    lesserbeinglesserbeing Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    It all just feels same-ish to me. Maybe I'm over the run-and-gun style of game play that is Unreal Tournament, but after Team Fortress 2, and Quake Wars, that style just feels dated. The gameplay feels more or less the same as what came before. I don't think it's even the team based element, it's as if they didn't try, having spent more time on getting the engine running with pretty, shiny graphics. I even feel that the graphics hurt it a bit, since the shape and texture on all the weapons seems very similar.

I guess you don't want to piss off the core audience by changing everything, but I dunno, I was hoping for more. I used to be pretty loyal to Unreal, and I still play UT2k4 on occasion, but Epic definitely won't be getting my money this time.

That's why it's called, Unreal Tournament. If they were to change the core gameplay to factor in some of the new trends in shooters they would call it, I don't know, Unreal Championship or Gears of War?

I think the run-n-gun gameplay is UT's niche. It appeals to the fast paced ADD side of gaming. Actually UT helped define this niche. Over allowing redundancies, it would be worse if they made a game completely dissimilar from the franchise but then tacked on the "Unreal Tournament" name.

I agree with the "improvement" in the graphics comment though. Though this may just be a problem with the art style of the game but either way, many of the guns do look the same and for a fast paced shooter like this, accidentally switching to a power hammer when you want to launch a rocket is bad.

I want the fucking pirate ship back.

lesserbeing on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I read somewhere, or maye it was a video interview, anyway they said they didn't include a Warefare map because they felt no single map would convey what the mode was all about. Apparently some of the maps are weighted to one side or the other, they mentioned a map where the attacking team has to go up a huge hill while the defense tries to hold them off. More then likely I'm guessing they are still tweaking the gameplay a bit and weren't ready to show it off just yet.

Doesn't matter to me though the Deathmatch and VCTF are solid fun. Even if they are "dated" gametypes there is something to be said for doing old school gaming really well. UT has always been a fantastic game to jump in and kill dudes, and yes it is a bit jarring after playing TF2 to go in and get waxed by a rocket out of nowhere. But thems the breaks in a UT game. Hopefully they will add something like the killcam, or maybe someone will make a mod. You could get some awesome screenshots from this game.

I don't know maybe I'm the only one who finds it refreshing to play a little deathmatch after years of Battlefield, CS, Quake Wars, and TF2 style games. I've said that they are old boring gametypes myself in the past, but this game has given me a fix for something I didn't realize I was missing.

Drool on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I don't want/need a killcam out of the game. It'd screw with instant respawns. Just some sort of indication of what I was killed with. Just a little text window in the corner that says "Soandso has killed you with a rocket launcher." It doesn't seem like too much to ask.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I don't want/need a killcam out of the game. It'd screw with instant respawns. Just some sort of indication of what I was killed with. Just a little text window in the corner that says "Soandso has killed you with a rocket launcher." It doesn't seem like too much to ask.

That has been pretty standard in every FPS ever. I'm not sure why they left it out of the demo. Maybe the UI isn't done or something, but I would bet money it will be in by release.

Oh and whoever said there would be like 2 Warefare maps: They said there will be more Warefare maps then any other gametype and the game is supposed to ship with over 40 maps.

Drool on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Does the demo install need a ton of free space on C or what? I had 1 gig free, the temp files took up 700 of that and then it says I don't have enough free space(I have 14 gigs on D). What's the deal?

Zek on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Clear some space or get a new HDD. You should never fill a hard disk completely up anyway.

Drool on
  • Options
    pentium166pentium166 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I was able to install it with a similar configuration (40 megs free on C:, THANKS WINDOWS INSTALL CD, and 25 gigs on E:) with no problems. My user folder isn't on C: though, and it sounds like yours is. Just cleaning out your temp folder might free up enough space to install the game, if your windows install has been around for a while and you've never cleared it out before.

pentium166 on
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Just read over at Gaf that the DirectX 10 version will have MSAA to clean up the jags a bit as well as the ultra-texture option.

I also can't agree more, the weapons carve through foes like a samurai blade through cotton candy. Armor only adds about 1-2 more hits and you're doomed. Dodge has become a necessaty.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    In an interview, they said that no weapon takes more than 6 hits to kill someone. Seems like even that is generous. I mean, think about it. Burning hot shrapnel bouncing off of a wall and cuts into you, a rocket explodes at your feet, a biological pile of liquid shit shot in your face; yeah, you ought to be dead after each of these in 1 hit.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm definately not complaining, I think it's good. The weapons feel like they've got heft know.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    In an interview, they said that no weapon takes more than 6 hits to kill someone. Seems like even that is generous. I mean, think about it. Burning hot shrapnel bouncing off of a wall and cuts into you, a rocket explodes at your feet, a biological pile of liquid shit shot in your face; yeah, you ought to be dead after each of these in 1 hit.

Depends on how realistic you want your gameplay. If this was Counterstrike, I'd totally agree with you. Getting shot is usually a life threatening injury, and just hitting an extremity should all but take you out of action.

But this is Unreal Tournament, with necro/alien/whatevers running around with more firepower than a dozen S.W.A.T. teams. I admit to not being very good at or enjoying Rainbow Six and its kin, but the idea that I can grab a mini rocket launcher, blast someone in the face with a tight spread, take a sniper round and three hot plasma pursts in the back and keep going until I snag a few med kits is part of the draw for me.

If I want a realistic portrayal of damage and death, I know where to go. The lacking realism is why I loved UT/UT2K4 (2K3 and I didn't see eye to eye quite as much). I want to jump 300 feet into the air and rain death from above on my foes, or use a futuristic dune buggy with fucking razor blades that fold out from the sides to mow down an unsuspecting foe.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    FodderFodder Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'd really just like to be able to fall without taking damage on the hoverboard, I mean, it hovers for fucks sake!

Fodder on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I'd really just like to be able to fall without taking damage on the hoverboard, I mean, it hovers for fucks sake!

Maybe they can just make it float a bit more when it falls. A higher jump and a sort of slow hover to clear gaps or something.

Then again, theres always UMods that can be made in about 5-10 minutes.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Forar wrote: »
    If I want a realistic portrayal of damage and death, I know where to go. The lacking realism is why I loved UT/UT2K4 (2K3 and I didn't see eye to eye quite as much). I want to jump 300 feet into the air and rain death from above on my foes, or use a futuristic dune buggy with fucking razor blades that fold out from the sides to mow down an unsuspecting foe.

I couldn't have said it better.

I laughed because I felt the same way when I first jumped off the bridge and practically broke my legs. The more I thought about it though I figured the board barely hovers a couple feet off the ground, what's going to make it keep you from destroying your kneecaps? :D
    edit: besides mutators I mean.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Ugh... Is it just me or is this game's art direction unbelievably bland? I mean, coming off of the eyegasm that is TF2, I feel like every minute I spend playing this game is killing a little more of my inner child. Even if it were playable at full settings. A little color never hurt anybody fellas.

Zek on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    In some of these tech demos you can see the dudes doing tricks on the hoverboard... I want.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Zek wrote: »
    Ugh... Is it just me or is this game's art direction unbelievably bland? I mean, coming off of the eyegasm that is TF2, I feel like every minute I spend playing this game is killing a little more of my inner child. Even if it were playable at full settings. A little color never hurt anybody fellas.

I like the art direction. It is of course much different than TF2, but it's very much an Unreal game. I have always liked the crazy characters/environments in UT. This one is a little more torn up/dirty then previous iterations, but still very cool looking overall.

Drool on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

*Looks at avatar*

Ah right...

Well this is kind of a Warzone, its grim and muddy. If it were more colorfull, it would be all like "OMFG teh Haloz colorfull space marines R ghey". Unfortunately you can't please everyone.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Waka Laka wrote: »

*Looks at avatar*

Ah right...

Well this is kind of a Warzone, its grim and muddy. If it were more colorfull, it would be all like "OMFG teh Haloz colorfull space marines R ghey". Unfortunately you can't please everyone.

Yeah but it's less colorful than all the other UTs. The colors have either been dulled or replaced with shades of brown. I mean, they made the Link Gun white instead of green? Why? The whole thing is just dreary looking.

Zek on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Waka Laka wrote: »

*Looks at avatar*

Ah right...

Yeah but it's less colorful than all the other UTs. The colors have either been dulled or replaced with shades of brown. I mean, they made the Link Gun white instead of green? Why? The whole thing is just dreary looking.

I suppose, mind you the levels that were shown in the demo were gothic/temple/night time, I saw a few screens of some sort of open plains level that had alot of bright greens and plants. It looked a little more like a RPG fantasy land than a battlefield. At least the city level had colorfull neon signs I suppose.

As for the weapons, I'll agree on the link gun. If it was more like the one in Ut2k4 it would be nice. Most of the other weapons are sort of scrap metal slapped together affairs, which I suppose suits the already dreary and harsh style. Kind of Bladerunner/Mad Max/WW2.

Gears of War had a few color pallete options in the video settings to adjust the overall contrast and look, not sure if it will be in the final version of UT3 though - would be good.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Dude the link gun is cool. Take a close look at the secondary fire animation next time you use it. It's pretty badass how it splits open. In fact most of the guns have a lot of little details and movements that make them feel very cool.

Drool on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm shocked. My PC can run this at a perfect framerate and the game still looks great, if not mindblowing. I'm not going to say what I was running it at, for fear of embarrassment, though.

I'm so used to shitty programming and expect games to run like ass these days. Very, very pleasantly surprised here.

The game looks and feels nothing like Gears of War, don't know what that complaint was all about. The more subdued palette reminds me of the levels in the original Unreal Deathmatch.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Epic are aware there are a handfull of bugs and glitches in the game currently. There is a post over at the official forum with a large list of found problems.

Unofficial Bug/Glitch list

Some of them are pretty crazy, but its good that Epic made the demo free-for-all to find them.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    To activate death messages (so you'll know what exactly killed you when you exploded into juicy chunks):

-Open UTEngine.ini in your "My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3 Demo\UTGame\Config" folder
    -Scroll down to where it says [UTGame.UTDeathMessage] and set "bNoConsoleDeathMessages" to False.
    -Do the same for [UTGame.UTTeamDeathMessage].

The .ini files provide a lot of options. For instance, to turn on mature taunts ("Holy shit!"), open up your UTEngine.ini in the folder indicated above and set "bAllowMatureLanguage" to True under [Engine.Engine].

For greater control over video settings, open UTEngine.ini and search for [SystemSettings]. There you can fine-tune your graphics to your liking, like removing the annoying bloom and depth of field effects that make it hard to see.

If you find all of your settings reset whenever you restart your game, here's the method to fix that:

-Open UTGame.ini and scroll down to [SystemSettings].
    -Modify as you like, and once satisfied with your graphical settings, save everything under [SystemSettings].
    -Open UTDemoCompat.ini
    -Look at [AppCompatBucket1], [AppCompatBucket2], and so forth. They contain several video settings that the game automatically switches to for some reason.
    -Here you can do one of two things: 1)Find out which AppCompatBucket the game is reverting everything to and replace the settings under it with the ones form [SystemSettings], or 2) just replace them all with [SystemSettings]. The second option is easier, but the first makes it easier to change your settings if you need to, so you don't have to all of them. Your choice.

From now on, if you want to change your video settings, just change the ones in UTDemoCompat.ini, as UT will automatically switch to them at startup.

EDIT: My name is too damn long.

Kaboodles_The_Assassin on
    sXXjb1B.png
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Your name may be long, but you are exceedingly helpful.

Thanks for this.

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Nice.

Finally I can know what randomly kills me.

Waka Laka on