Retina MacBook Pro 2014 Keyboard issue: Wonky N Key

LanzLanz Registered User regular
So a couple days back, the N key on my Macbook Pro (Retina, 2014) started having a weird issue: instead of simply getting stuck, occassionally the key will cycle through a couple of states:

- Working Fine
- Not Registering
- Registering too many presses
- Not Registering at all, then dropping an N randomly into whatever it is I'm typing a few words down the line.

I've popped the key cap off and cleaned it, that didn't seem to do much; the behavior even expresses itself when directly pressing on the rubber nub that hits the sensor in the keyboard.

At this point, it's been a few days and even as I type this the key seems to be behaving fine. I'm worried it's a physical issue somehow with the keyboard, because it happens in both OSX and Windows 7 Bootcamp. I've tried resetting the PRAM even, after hearing of folks with similar issues resolving them through that, but it's had no effect.

This unit isn't even a year out from when Apple sent it to replace a previous unit (a 2011 who's GPU kept frying out [four times!] before the recall or whatever, but was under AppleCare still) and I'm driving myself a bit stir crazy worrying about this one single key.

waNkm4k.jpg?1

• LanzLanz Registered User regular
    Okay now apparently it likes to ignore whe I press tnhe key and just iput thennm in later at nranndom

lnike it's doing ow.nn

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • chrishallett83chrishallett83 A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    It's not the keycap sticking, it's the internal contacts of the switch itself being shorted out and registering false keypresses. The individual switch itself is certainly not replaceable, and I don't know if the keyboard itself is replaceable on that model, your best bet is to ring Apple and ask. Thankfully as it's less than a year old it should still be under warranty.

• wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    yea, you're under warranty. Just head to an apple store, or call if you're not near one.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar