As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

VLC Media Player not playing discs anymore

Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-FedRegistered User regular
I'm suddenly getting this error whenever I've tried playing anything in my PC.
Playback failure:
VLC cannot set the DVD's title. It possibly cannot decrypt the entire disc.
Your input can't be opened:
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'dvd:///E:\'. Check the log for details.

Any ideas? The only thing I can find on Google was something from 2013 that said to reinstall and update drivers and I've done that but no luck.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Seems to be an issue with the 64 bit of VLC.

Have you uninstalled VLC and reinstalled with the 32 bit?

https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?t=116080

Seems to hint it's an issue that plagues the 64 bit version. You can probably open the DVD by playing right from the folder too.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    bowen wrote: »
    Seems to be an issue with the 64 bit of VLC.

Have you uninstalled VLC and reinstalled with the 32 bit?

https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?t=116080

Seems to hint it's an issue that plagues the 64 bit version. You can probably open the DVD by playing right from the folder too.

I tried that but when I open the DVD there's nothing there, or so many folders I have no idea where to go.

I'll check and see what version I have tho, thanks!

edit: Huh they said they fixed it in 2.1.3 and I have 2.2.1. Well, still worth a shot replacing it.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    CRAP

no go. Still the same error. They do mention deleting some folder called %appdata%/.dvdcss but I have no idea where that might be either.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    go to start menu, and in the search box type exactly that in, and it'll take you to that folder.

the percent symbols are meant as an identifier to take you to the appropriate folder without having to find it.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Yeah uninstall VLC, delete that folder (windows key + r and pasting that in the box should work too), give it a reboot, then reinstall.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Nope, no luck. It says it can't be found.