As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Being a [Superhero] is as easy as playing Diablo!

EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes UpRegistered User regular
edited May 2015 in Social Entropy++
Hey, how's your Vision?

Vision-Avengers-Age-of-Ultron-Poster.jpg

Still the coolest superhero, sweet.

If you haven't already, you should go see Avengers: Age of Ultron! It has Vision in it and some other chumps.

Here's a list of upcoming superhero films! Some of them have Vision in them, and the other ones probably aren't as good!
CA_Supermovies_4-22-20151.jpg
Superhero TV shows are also pretty good right now! Arrow, based on the Green Arrow, is in season 3. Flash has had a wonderful inaugural season, and Agents of SHIELD is still doing pretty well for itself in season 2! And then on the Netflix side of things, there's the first season of Daredevil, which is rad as heck, even if it does have a complete lack of Vision.

In other superhero news, there's also a crazy superhero tournament thing going on over in Graphic Violence, organized by our very own The Geebs That Knows Everything About Animorphs Son of Beyonder!

Ooh, last thing! Our wonderful @Mr. G has put together a list to rank all of your favorite MCU movies! Contribute, so that we may all judge you when you admit you like the wrong movies! Plus it'll give @Vivixenne more data to work with for her mad experiments statistical analysis, and who doesn't want that?

Without further ado, let's talk superheroes! Mind your spoilers, folks!

Etchwarts on

• VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Speaking of mad experiments witchcraft statistical analysis:
    STATS UPDATED - included 7 more points of data from previous post for a total of 96 entries

Number of times Guardians and Winter Soldier hold top 2 spots: 28
    Movies with no #1 rankings: Iron Man 2, Thor, Thor 2
    Movies with no #11 rankings: Avengers, Iron Man

Of the 4 people who ranked Guardians at #10/#11:
    1 person ranked Iron Man 3 (avg rank #5) at #1
    1 person ranked Winter Soldier (avg rank#1) at #1
    1 person ranked Captain America (avg rank#7) at #1
    1 person ranked Ultron at #1 (avg rank#4)

Of the 64 people who ranked Guardians or Winter Soldier as #1:
    58 (91%) people ranked Incredible Hulk at #9 or worse
    51 (80%) people ranked Iron Man 2 at #9 or worse

Of the 47 people who ranked Winter Soldier as #1:
    all but 6 (87%) people ranked Hulk at #9 or worse
    33 (70%) people ranked Captain America between #6-#8

Of the 45 people who ranked Incredible Hulk at #11:
    24 people ranked Iron Man 2 at #10
    only 1 person ranked Thor 2 better than #7
    only 2 people ranked Iron Man 2 better than #7
    everyone ranked Ultron #6 or higher
    everyone ranked Winter Soldier at #6 or higher

Number of people who ranked Iron Man better than Iron Man 2: 86 (90%)
    Number of people who ranked Iron Man 2 better than Iron Man 3: 9 (9%)
    Number of people who ranked Iron Man better than Iron Man 3: 47(49%)

Of the 9 people who ranked Iron Man 2 better than Iron Man 3:
    4 people also ranked Iron Man 2 better than Iron Man
    everyone ranked Captain America between #5-#8
    no one ranked Winter Soldier between #4-#10
    6 people ranked Guardians as #1/#2
    on averages, Iron Man 3 was ranked #11

Of the 10 people who ranked Iron Man 2 better than Iron Man:
    Thor/Thor 2 were ranked #10/#11 based on averages
    on averages, Iron Man ranked the lowest of the Iron Man movies
    on averages, Iron Man 3 ranked the highest of the Iron Man movies
    Winter Soldier received the most #1 rankings

POINTS-BASED SYSTEM WHERE #1 GETS 10 PTS AND #11 GETS 0 PTS
    The biggest gap between 2 consecutive rankings (by total points): 142 (Captain America minus Thor)
    Smallest gap between 2 consecutive rankings (by total points): 8 (Guardians minus Avengers)
    The gap between Winter Soldier (#1) and Guardians (#2): 125
    Points separating the 3 lowest scoring movies: 103 (Thor 2 #9, Iron Man 2 #10, Hulk #11)

Still more to come! As you can tell I spent a fair amount of time just looking at the Iron Man trilogy. :P

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    I'm far from the biggest DC fangirl that ever lived, but I just re-watched that video about Man of Steel where they restore the colours back into it, and it references the shitty Green Lantern movie that came out.

It makes me wonder who on earth thought it was the bright colours that made that movie fail and not the fact that it was just a shitty adaptation based on a misunderstanding of who/what Green Lantern is.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I still think we should page the two people who put Incredible Hulk at #1 and make sure they didn't put their lists in backwards.

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Hey
    are the Guardians going to show up in Infinity War?

Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Hey

We don't know yet, but it'd be a wasted opportunity if they didn't.

I still think we should page the two people who put Incredible Hulk at #1 and make sure they didn't put their lists in backwards.

the real problem is that they both placed Winter Soldier at #11

which makes even LESS sense

Vivixenne wrote: »

Yeah, I'm pretty sure those guys are just backwards.

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Hey nerds

So who the heck do we think Martin Freeman will be playing?

It'll be Dormammu, right?

• Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    Huh, it just hit me that Batman v Superman and Captain America v Iron Man are coming out right next to each other.

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Clea

The next-lowest ranking for TWS is #8, which was also given by 2 people.

Then #6 by 4 people.

One of them said he did actually put his in backwards
    I forget who though

Veldrin wrote: »
    Hey nerds

So who the heck do we think Martin Freeman will be playing?

that's super specific

I wanna know if he's going to be a goodie or a baddie

• MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Tonight's AoS

At first I was all:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJbmB9k2Y88

but by the end I was all:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IXCK1EyP4s

Seriously guys, everything was starting to be all right and we're getting ground underneath things, but you just HAD to yank the rug out, didn't you!?!?

.....I might be channeling my inner Kyle MacLachlan here....

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • OdinOdin Registered User regular
    Hey

I think they'll make an appearance at least.

They already know about Thanos too, so they might go after him when he moves against Earth (or try to warn the Earth heroes before he attacks).

I would absolutely love Freeman to play a really bad dude.

edited May 2015
    also on a slight tangent, I love Benedict Cumberbatch but I really think they missed a perfect casting opportunity by not begging Oded Fehr to be Dr Strange

I mean seriously

this has nothing to do with him being my Old Man Crush, he just looks the part and in my brain he even sounds the part

Vivixenne on
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Future Marvel Speculation
    If the existence of two gauntlets means that there's going to be some kind of gauntlet duel, then I'd guess that the person with the second gauntlet would be Starlord.

I have added my rankings to the list but I didn't copy the text and now I don't really remember what order I put them in

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Hey

there is about a 100% chance they'll show up in either part one or part two

I'd wager most characters they've introduced find their way in there at some point

I think that Marvel Heroes could be something I spend a dangerous amount of time on

also on a slight tangent, I love Benedict Cumberbatch but I really think they missed a perfect casting opportunity by not begging Oded Fehr to be Dr Strange

I mean seriously

this has nothing to do with him being my Old Man Crush, he just looks the part and in my brain he even sounds the part

He sounds the part probably cause you heard him voicing Dr. Fate on Justice League and JLU. Which isn't to say it's not what we all wanted...

Hail Hydra
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Hey

I'd wager most characters they've introduced find their way in there at some point

AoU spoilers
    I'm hoping pretty hard that Wanda gets her hands on a gem at some point and brings my boy Pietro back

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Hey

AoU spoilers
    I'm hoping pretty hard that Wanda gets her hands on a gem at some point and brings my boy Pietro back
    I hope this doesn't happen
    and I love Pietro

Dude should stay dead

These movies need to have some kind of stakes and every major non-villain death has been either reversed or revealed to be a lie

CYpGAPn.png
    Matev wrote: »

I mean seriously

He sounds the part probably cause you heard him voicing Dr. Fate on Justice League and JLU. Which isn't to say it's not what we all wanted...

I have loved him since seeing him in the Mummy movies

I didn't know how badly I wanted him to be Dr Strange until the Dr Strange movie was announced

(I've only seen a handful of episodes of Justice League and JLU)

I think that Marvel Heroes could be something I spend a dangerous amount of time on

oh god yes me, too

it's the only reason why I haven't installed it

Blankzilla wrote: »
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Hey

AoU spoilers
    I hope this doesn't happen
    and I love Pietro

Dude should stay dead

These movies need to have some kind of stakes and every major non-villain death has been either reversed or revealed to be a lie
    I love Pietro as well but I really don't want the MCU to become 616, where people die but not really or die really but come back some other way. I mean, the comics wanna maintain names and titles and headliners; that's fine, I get that, and I accept it as part of comic books in general. I don't think it's necessary for the MCU.

If he does come back somehow, it could be as a resurrection-gone-wrong and he turns out to be a villain or something and ends up dead again. Which is only slightly less lame than him coming back whole.

Hahaha so there is a dude who has been bombarding Tom Brevoort with messaged about how Richard Rider is the only Nova ever since Sam Alexander ever appeared, only referring to Sam as NINO (Nova in Name Only) and now he just leaked a BIG HORRIBLE SPOILER from Secret Wars in an effort to get people angry at Marvel
    The Guardians of the Galaxy die in the first issue

However, so does literally everyone else

That's kind of the point. Everything dies and then Battleworld is born.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I wanted to respond to this post in the last thread
    I don't remember a lot about Inara's character save that she didn't take a lot of shit and was portrayed as a sex worker that didn't have much of the baggage typically associates with sex workers in most media.

Though, Whedon did sort of ruin all that by having the main character use her job as the butt of jokes pretty much constantly.

I always felt that there was an odd tension there. It seemed like Whedon himself wasn't sure if he agreed with Mal's mean-spirited jokes or not. I felt like Inara was characterized as generally having the moral high ground, but at the same time nobody in the show seemed to really take Mal's mean-spirited jokes very seriously.

• LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular

ONE OF US ONE OF US

• LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular

oh god yes me, too

Do it do it do it do it

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Hahaha so there is a dude who has been bombarding Tom Brevoort with messaged about how Richard Rider is the only Nova ever since Sam Alexander ever appeared, only referring to Sam as NINO (Nova in Name Only) and now he just leaked a BIG HORRIBLE SPOILER from Secret Wars in an effort to get people angry at Marvel

Even Val's little ship?

Shame. It was a nice ship.

chiasaur11 wrote: »

Even Val's little ship?

Shame. It was a nice ship.
    Don't know!
    I just know that outside of possibly that group literally everyone dies. That's like the tagline for the event EVERYTHING ENDS AND THERE IS ONLY SECRET WARS

CYpGAPn.png
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

Well I mean I kind of assumed that was the case based on Deadpool #45.

oh god yes me, too

Do it do it do it do it

Well I was thinking about trying it out this evening since I have some free time then, but that's off-peak time in the US which means I will be pretty much playing alone. Orrrrr I could just park on the couch and finish Ori and the Blind Forest first.

We'll see.

Well I mean I kind of assumed that was the case based on Deadpool #45.
    Yeah the spoiler isn't the important part

It is that the dude is so hellbent on getting people mad at Marvel that he completely ignores context

CYpGAPn.png
    Not only is that without context, but any idea can link to a Guardians of Knowhere solicitation and kinda deflate his point.

Matev wrote: »

I mean seriously

I have loved him since seeing him in the Mummy movies

I didn't know how badly I wanted him to be Dr Strange until the Dr Strange movie was announced

(I've only seen a handful of episodes of Justice League and JLU)

You need to watch the ones where Oded Fehr is Dr. Fate. It'll make your night, trust me.

Hail Hydra
  • DurkhanusDurkhanus Commander Registered User regular
    Saw Ultron tonight. Went in with standard SUPO, and was rewarded with a film I enjoyed. AoU spoiler below.
    Two things stand out to me at the moment that annoy me though. One, is the drastic mood whiplash they pulled after Quicksilver's death. Second, is how Tony's obsessive need to go overboard in trying to protect the world from bad Space-Men in AoU undermines the ending of IM3, even though in-universe his behaviour in AoU is justified given what Scarlet Witch did to his mind.

This discussion has been closed.