As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Constitutional crisis at [EuroPAX]

GumpyGumpy There is alwaysa greater powerRegistered User regular
f7rR2Ej.png

Eurothread, the British Elections have started - Recruit me a team of Party Leaders with attitude!

Hip6ne6.pnguVBfpgk.pngdQF4fTv.png

Rf5nfLE.pngDcB94nf.png

We're heading into a pretty interesting election - Some of our parties are pro-Europax, some are anti. It looks like tomorrow election will have a really messy result which'll require the mysterious White Scottish Ranger to break the deadlock.

One thing's for certain though - EuroPAX may never be the same again.

We might even get around to arranging another one after Eurovision is over. I hear London's lovely this time of year...

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Natalie Bennet is not cool enough to be the Green Ranger.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    WHY DOES THE SCOTTISH RANGER HAVE TO BE WHITE YOU RA-oh, wait, no, that's pretty accurate. Nevermind.

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Its... its so beautiful!!!! What an OP!

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2015

ok so I mean this question very sincerely, of that list
    who is sufficiently cool

tynic on
  • Options
    U2WxWu7.jpg

• Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    UK Politics sucks.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

ok so I mean this question very sincerely, of that list
    who is sufficiently cool

errrrr..

..wait..

...yeah..

..nobody, but she can be the Yellow Ranger!

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    The only reason cleggers is the black ranger is because I'm too terrified of fonts to change the words that were initially there

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    I thought you were too terrified of the words "Yellow Ranger"

• Options
    In 24 hours, an ex-girlfriend is going to be an MP. I can't explain just how terrifying that is.

• Options
    I read something which mentioned the riots in England in 2011 and I was baffled for a few seconds as I remembered that this was a thing which actually happened

• Options
    If you missed it, Charlie Brooker's Election Wipe was pretty good

My favorite bit was about election night/Jeremy Vine graphics

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    Professor FuzzlesProfessor Fuzzles Not a furry, just sayin' FuzztopiaRegistered User regular
    Oh God I hope Farage and all of UKIP are roundly humiliated at the polls.

• Options
    It would be nice but I'm very pessimistic.

• Options
    It's begun. Everything was pretty quiet at the polling station, which seemed a bit odd since I thought there'd be a pre-work rush. I've gone Green, so hoping for a nice boost in the national vote for them.

• Options
    The most boring political campaign I can remember is finally over. Can't wait to do this all again in November...

• Options

My polling station was also quiet, but its the middle of the day in a residential area, only mums with prams and a few old folks there, and me.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    There was a right queue at mine

Loads of people going before work like me, I imagine

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    When will you know the results?

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »
    When will you know the results?

The individual MP results should be mostly wrapped up by tomorrow lunchtime.

What government this leads to will take longer to decide.

• Options
    Anyone else looking forward to the swingometer!

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    I see a lot of forecasts are calling for the SNP to pick up several seats in Parliament. Is independence still on their agenda? Would a surge in seats for them cause the question to be revisited? Or would the play going to be for more devolution? Especially since it looks like there's going to be some coalition wheeling-and-dealing.

• Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »
    Anyone else looking forward to the swingometer!

https://youtu.be/5gHorOt6KKw?t=70

• Options
    Braved the trip to the polls!

WP_20150507_001.jpg

Being out in the sticks does have some advantages, but the traffic was terrible. There was a bee and everything.

WP_20150507_003.jpg

(The polling station is at the bottom of my neighbour's garden.)

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    I voted. Last-second decision in the booth but I'm happy with my decision. Then I went into town for some shopping and saw the leisure centre all fenced off, surrounded by security, and realised (too late to take a photograph) that that'll be for tonight. So when you see Dave and the also-rans on TV, lined up against a wall in a weirdly dimly-lit sports hall, that's where I've run around as an over-sugared/e-numbered child chasing a football.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    I see a lot of forecasts are calling for the SNP to pick up several seats in Parliament. Is independence still on their agenda? Would a surge in seats for them cause the question to be revisited? Or would the play going to be for more devolution? Especially since it looks like there's going to be some coalition wheeling-and-dealing.

I'd say at the moment, it really isn't clear. The SNP have been keeping that card incredibly close to their chest during the campaign because it could cause damage to their cause by outright stating they want a second vote. I'd imagine the right tactic would be to use whatever influence they would hold in Westminster to push for the devolution of powers they want. If they face opposition to these, then they can go back to Scotland and say 'Westminster doesn't care about Scotland and never will - Westminster is for the English etc...'. But that's only my opinion on the matter.

• Options
    I imagine they'll focus on giving more autonomy to Scotland while still being part of the UK. That way they get the best of both worlds.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    538 has their predictions

Con 281
    Lab 266
    SNP 51
    Lib Dem 27

JoeUser on
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    What will that mean if thats the result?

edit: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2015-32235317 thanks bbc!

Liiya on
  • Options
    Well 323 votes are needed to form a government, so if the Tories and Lib Dem try to form a coalition, they would have 308, plus probably the UKIP vote.

If Labour and the SNP join, they would have 312. They could also get support from the minor parties like Plaid Cymru and the SDLP.

Not sure what the Lib Dems would do in that case.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    Con + Lib Dem < Labour + SNP

Conservatives will be the largest party but Labour will be in a better place to form a Government. Right wing press will then do their best to try and convince us that:

Largest party = Right to form Government.

And any attempt by Labour to undermine that is unconstitutional or whatever other fancy words they spurn out.

Bad-Beat on
  • Options
    Thanks guys!!

• Options

I haven't voted yet because I wanted to be able to pick up a prescription while I was out.

I believe the BBC starts in on results and such at 10pm tonight, so my plan is to stay up forever playing video games and drinking some rum to dull the horror of the voting system.

• Options
    Fun fact: technically 326 votes are needed for a majority, but Sinn Fein doesn't take its seats in Parliament, so the actual number is 323.

• Options

Con 281
    Lab 266
    SNP 51
    Lib Dem 27

What about the Greens

Six of our nine states have Green government participation by now, most people would have thought that impossible ten years ago

• Options

Con 281
    Lab 266
    SNP 51
    Lib Dem 27

What about the Greens

Six of our nine states have Green government participation by now, most people would have thought that impossible ten years ago

Greens are predicted to get 1 seat

• Options
    Everyone's being very negative about the chance of a lib dem win down here, so I don't know whether to vote strategically or vote my conscience.

Man I much prefer the Aussie system where the only agonizing choices are over who you hate the most.

• Options
    Greens might squeak out a second. Any more then that'd be very notable

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFKKBjN3yHQ
    Sometimes I feel like literally everything I know or think is linked to the West Wing.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    #DogsAtPollingStations is the best thing so far today.

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png