As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Need advice running BF4 on a dinosaur of a PC if possible :D

SplitkingSplitking Registered User new member
Hey guys,

A friend recommended I post here.

I want to run Battlefield 4 vanilla on my PC, issue is that my PC is old.

Specs:
Intl Core 2 CPU 6600 2.40Ghz
2GB of RAM (2 x 1GB)
GeForce GTX 650 Ti (upgraded about a year ago)
Windows 7

Canirunit say i most definitely cannot.

I want to do a complete system upgrade later this year/early next year but right now the priority is to be able to play BF4 while spending the absolute minimum on hardware.

My thoughts are with a single 4GB (around $40) I might be able to run it.

I am seeking your advice! Will BF4 run with 4GB RAM and the above CPU and graphics card?

Thanks in advance.

PS: I am holding out on the full upgrade for the next wave of better tech and figure a package upgrade will prob be cheaper than buying each individual part. My PC is from 2006 so...yeah...

• wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    the ram solution will probably get you by, running it on lower settings.

The video card you have is about equivalent in benchmarks to the HD 3870, which is listed as the minimum requirement for video. You'll probably be a bit CPU bound but eh, on lower settings it'll probably run if you chuck a bit more ram into it.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    The Core 2 Quad Q6600 was a monster of a CPU that lasted far beyond anyone's expectations for gaming. I had a Q6600 paired up with an HD4850 for a while and it chewed through newer games like Far Cry 3 and Tomb Raider without an issue. As a result of it's power, that CPU was pretty popular.

This is great for you, since that means there are a number of people who have done framerate tests for various games and uploaded them to youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=96Vs_19CWRA

This guy here has your same CPU, the non-ti version of your GPU, and 4GB of RAM, and he is reporting 20/31/57fps (minimum/average/maximum) at 1920x1080 with no AA and all other settings on medium (he says in a forum post that Shadowplay eats around 5fps during recording). 31fps is definitely playable as an average framerate, but if you wanted something smoother you could always knock a few settings down. The only thing to remember is that for that old LGA775 board you'll need DDR2 RAM, which can be kinda hard to find at decent prices sometimes.

SmokeStacks on
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    wunderbar wrote: »
    the ram solution will probably get you by, running it on lower settings.

The video card you have is about equivalent in benchmarks to the HD 3870, which is listed as the minimum requirement for video. You'll probably be a bit CPU bound but eh, on lower settings it'll probably run if you chuck a bit more ram into it.

The C2D 2.4Ghz is listed as the minimum system requirement, and your GPU exceeds it, so yes it will run. Definitely hit the PC build thread when the time comes for advice, and I'll note that BF4 in particular is very CPU-hungry (the BF series has been for a while)...it's an exception to the general rule of GPU-before-CPU, you really have to balance to avoid bottlenecking.

EDIT: Shit nevermind, that's a C2Q. Definitely GPU-bound then. But you'll want to upgrade the CPU with the GPU, even lower-end i5 quads will eventually bottleneck on that game, at least if maintaining 60fps is a thing for you. But it will most definitely run, and playably once you tweak the settings.

mcdermott on