As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Constitutional crisis at [EuroPAX]

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    My Norn Iron prediction is that the only change is the DUP retaking East Belfast from the Alliance party.

Ideally, I'd like that to not happen and for DUP to lose North Belfast as well, to punish them and the UUP for their pact.

Although said pact is more a symptom of why FPTP is butts.

• JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    So does a candidate need an actual majority or just a plurality? Here, if no one candidate has a majority, there is another election with the two leading candidates.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Last time I took a dog to a polling station, she got bored in the thirty seconds I was speaking to a labor canvasser and ate through her lead.

• FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »
    So does a candidate need an actual majority or just a plurality? Here, if no one candidate has a majority, there is another election with the two leading candidates.

Plurality.

http://www.votingcounts.org.uk/first-past-the-post.html
    - FPTP is a simple plurality electoral system in which the winning candidate only needs a plurality of votes i.e. one vote more than their leading opponent in order to win their seat.

- The winning candidate does not need to achieve a majority of votes (50%+1) in their constituency.

- For example in 2010, Labour candidate Glenda Jackson won her seat in Hampstead and Kilburn with only 32.8% of the vote.

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Most votes wins over here, even if it's less than 50%. We had a referendum 4 years ago to switch to a transferable vote system but that got torpedoed by a blanket scaremongering and "it's so complicated, don't worry your little head about it" campaign.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
    Most votes wins over here, even if it's less than 50%. We had a referendum 4 years ago to switch to a transferable vote system but that got torpedoed by a blanket scaremongering and "it's so complicated, don't worry your little head about it" campaign.

IT IS SO COMPLICATED THAT IT WILL COST LITERALLY ALL OF THE MONEY, WE'LL HAVE TO SELL THE QUEEN TO THE FRENCH!

• GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    That vote was a slaughter, having a 30% yes vote can't only be contributed to the no campaign.

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    It certainly didn't help that the turnout was bollocks either, unless I am remembering wrong.

7qmGNt5.png
    41% - Not a very good turnout

Ooof that is worse than I thought.

7qmGNt5.png
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    The added irony that if the Tories hadn't worked so hard to scupper that, they'd be quite set for a win, being the second choice for all the UKIP voters.

So, you know, small mercies.

forumsig.png
    darleysam wrote: »
    The added irony that if the Tories hadn't worked so hard to scupper that, they'd be quite set for a win, being the second choice for all the UKIP voters.

So, you know, small mercies.

Negative commander, UKIP picks up a lot of votes off labour. It's not just a permutation of the Tory party.

• darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Really? I'm sure that was the story going around yesterday. Well, I stand corrected.

forumsig.png
    A lot of their rhetoric resonates with the working class. "They're stealing our jobs!!!!" is very effective when you're talking to people who do relatively low skilled, menial jobs that are vulnerable to being picked up by more industrious migrants.

Around here the ukip voters seem to hate all the major parties equally.

I reckon a cornish independence part would sweep in at the moment.

tynic wrote: »
    Around here the ukip voters seem to hate all the major parties equally.

I reckon a cornish independence part would sweep in at the moment.

st-pirans-flag.jpg

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Luxembourg has about as many inhabitants as Cornwall

Luxembourg has about as many inhabitants as Cornwall

We, too, could become a bureaucratic Mecca for the EU!

... oh what's that? we might need main roads?
    ... and a proper train line?
    ... and a capital city where the most thriving business is not a Forever 21?

... eh we'll work it out! Kernow! Onen hag oll!

actually that was a bit disingenuous of me, I don't think Truro actually runs to a Forever21.

The Next outlet seems to do quite well though.

• LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    I had the possibility of voting for the Pirate Party.

• Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    Liiya, you make it sound like you didn't vote for the pirate party!?

actually that was a bit disingenuous of me, I don't think Truro actually runs to a Forever21.

Does Next have slave labour in their supply chain

I would be absolutely astonished if they didn't, especially given their prices, but I can't say with any authority.

The only reason why I've heard about Forever 21 is because of their shitty supply chain practices, but apparently they also have Austrian outlets

Bad-Beat wrote: »

I did not

my mind just sort of glazed over and before I knew it I had voted and was walking out of the place.

And as I walked someone was taking photos so maybe I will be on Manchester Evening News website, the height of fame!

• Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular

I would be absolutely astonished if they didn't, especially given their prices, but I can't say with any authority.

Neither can they probably. All child labour is just sub-contracted factories clothes stores like NEXT plead ignorance to. That is until the sweatshop burns down and a hundred children die, that is.

edited May 2015
    Liiya wrote: »
    Bad-Beat wrote: »

I did not

my mind just sort of glazed over and before I knew it I had voted and was walking out of the place.

And as I walked someone was taking photos so maybe I will be on Manchester Evening News website, the height of fame!

The website's leading headline is currently about a guy who allegedly drove hundreds of miles to drop two cardboard boxes "on a Salford street"
    The man and his passenger were seen to kick the boxes around in an incident lasting over seven minutes.

Platy on

I had the option of voting for Canabis Is Safer Than Alcohol, which is apparently a political party with basically one issue.

Fyndir wrote: »

I had the option of voting for Canabis Is Safer Than Alcohol, which is apparently a political party with basically one issue.

Funding for church roofs?

Fyndir wrote: »

Like the SNP? hohoho :snap:

7qmGNt5.png
    The SNP's party symbol should be a unicorn shooting a black and yellow beam from its horn

25308630-6ef8-460b-afa4-ef23e6f852f0.jpg

...what

It's one of the Prime Minister's duties!

1212a350-66fc-40c1-8436-523d9cd055eb.jpg

Is this the legacy of Thatcher's tank shot

• HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    Those poor kids

PSN- AHermano
    Polls close in fifteen minutes, chaps.

The website's leading headline is currently about a guy who allegedly drove hundreds of miles to drop two cardboard boxes "on a Salford street"
    The man and his passenger were seen to kick the boxes around in an incident lasting over seven minutes.

What, why?? The headline a few weeks ago was something like "hundreds of hedgehogs in danger, COUNCIL TO BLAME?" so that story boxes is almost as exciting!

The article didn't give any reason as to why he dropped and kicked the boxes

I think it's based on some kind of police report, it even gave his full name for some reason

Apparently there are queues long enough that people are leaving rather than voting

THIS IS WHY YOU HAVE ELECTION DAY SAUSAGE SIZZLES, PEOPLE
    does Australia have to teach you everything???

also I was mighty peeved, I had to queue for a good ... oooh, forty seconds? because the woman in front of me ran into a friend and decided to have a natter right in front of the lady crossing people's names off.

Two hedgehogs approached me a week ago and one even sniffed my shoe

I am the Beastmaster