As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX Prime Changes In the Works

zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
From http://prime.paxsite.com/news/pax-prime-changes-in-the-works
Another PAX Prime is on the horizon! Can you feel it? That special ache in your teeth? And everything smells like copper? I might be having a stroke.

But hey, we’re shaking up a few things in order to min-max your enjoyment-per-second at the event.

Change #1. No more Queue Hall. The biggest complaint we get is the Expo Hall being overcrowded. With that in mind we’re going to take the space that was the Queue Hall and spread it evenly throughout the halls to widen the aisles. This means the same amount of exhibitors with hopefully more elbow room.

So… where do you line up to get in the convention center? That’s a great question! We’ll have two primary “entrances” running simultaneously in the morning – One will be the Convention Center (head to the main entrance on Pike and building staff will direct you where to go), and the other will be at the Annex. BOTH will be let into the show at 10 AM sharp, so you can go to either location in the morning.

Change #2. No stopping in mid-aisle to take photos - particularly of cosplay. If you want to take cosplay pics, that’s cool, we just ask you do it off the Expo Floor. Pictures within a booth, provided it’s been approved by the exhibitor, are fine. We’re trying to make sure people don’t randomly stop and cause traffic problems.

Change #3: Lastly we will be doing away with 4-Day badges. When looking over the data, we saw that people were buying 4-Day badges and not using them for the full four days. By switching everything over to single days, we can help ensure that every sold badge actually gets used. Since the show isn’t falling on Labor Day, it would have made the “not using the Monday part of their 4-Day badge” situation even more pronounced.

Hopefully with all these changes, we’ll be able to provide an especially enjoyable environment for everyone and make sure the maximum number of people can take part in the festivities.

After all, it’s only 112 days away!

• adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    Darn. I was hoping there would be some great announcement about giving TT an real area. :(

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • hobbseltoffhobbseltoff Issaquah, WARegistered User regular
    It makes sense that they're doing it but it makes me sad that they've done away with 4-day badges, my collection ends here.

row1.pngrow2.png
  • kcrobinsonkcrobinson Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    From http://prime.paxsite.com/news/pax-prime-changes-in-the-works
    We’ll have two primary “entrances” running simultaneously in the morning – One will be the Convention Center (head to the main entrance on Pike and building staff will direct you where to go), and the other will be at the Annex. BOTH will be let into the show at 10 AM sharp, so you can go to either location in the morning.

Big fan of the elbow room fixes. I always enter the Convention Center from the freeway park outside the 4th floor. That entrance will still be available with people direction me where to queue, right?

• sanovahsanovah Nerd of the West San Diego, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    love the first two changes, but have to admit I'm disappointed in the third. I usually attend every day it's open so I've always at least tried to buy the 3 and then 4 day badges when i attend both because it was cheaper and it was a single badge to carry vs having three now four separate badges. This will actually be the first year I don't attend all four days because of the price jump. I can understand them wanting every badge to be used and the bundle one being so cheap it made sense to buy even if you were only going to attend 2 or 3 days, and i think a lot of people have wanted them to change that for awhile so people myself included are happy it's no longer the case and the only reason to buy 4 badges is to attend all four days, but I wish they would have done some automatic discount on the fourth day if you bought all 4 badges. That way full price was paid for the first 3 days but you got a break on the 4th for those that want to go every day. just my two cents tho.

• nohomeJeromenohomeJerome Emerald City, WA Registered User regular
    I can see change #1 being slightly problematic if the Annex entrance begins outside in the morning. Mainly:

Old Queue Hall to Expo entrance(s) - flat surface/minimal risk of injury for those giddy individuals that just can't help but run despite the "no running" warning.

Annex escalators to 4th floor Expo Hall - where pain and nerds collide.

That being said, I like the changes. Foot traffic has long been an issue and the above solution should help alleviate that straight away.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Yeah I would expect some crazy lines outdoors. given #1

I don't think I'll be heading to pax till noon though, given that it will probably be harder to get to non-expo lines with all those people outdoors.

kcrobinson wrote: »
    Big fan of the elbow room fixes. I always enter the Convention Center from the freeway park outside the 4th floor. That entrance will still be available with people direction me where to queue, right?

I would imagine with the elimination of the Queue Hall, freeway park is likely to become the new official queue area. After all, it has functioned as such for all the early morning arrivers in years past.

• OccamOccam Registered User regular
    I can understand the reasoning for no 4-day passes, but maybe in the future there could be some sort of discount for buying multiple day passes? I'd love to go all 4 days (and I would actually go all four days), but $160 per person seems like a bit much. I was lucky enough to get in fast enough to get anything this year, but can't swing $320 for me and my wife, not including travel, hotel, and time off. Especially considering last time I was able to go, 2011, I got my 3-day pass for $55.

Also a little warning would have been nice, for planning/strategery.

edited May 2015
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Yeah I would expect some crazy lines outdoors. given #1

I don't think I'll be heading to pax till noon though, given that it will probably be harder to get to non-expo lines with all those people outdoors.

My arrival time has gradually faded to late morning/early afternoon over the last few years and what a difference it's made.

nohomeJerome on
  • havok978havok978 Baltimore, MdRegistered User regular
    I'm all about #2. Getting around East by Sunday just became aggravating with the number of people just randomly stopping in front of you, and it almost started to feel like people were going out of their way to get in front of you and stop. Any extra ability to just get through the expo hall is a plus. I'm curious about number #1 and what effect, if any, it'll have on BYOC setup on Friday.

XyqJPIp.png
  • I3izzyI3izzy Nonofficial member of the F5 brigade FG, ORRegistered User regular
    Sweet, so if the weather sucks we get to wait outside in the rain. I think that is bad planning especially how full that que room gets.

ZYseqtZ.png
  • YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    As long is exhibitors don't use the extra space to allow their own lines to grow longer, this'll probably be very nice.

I was hoping to see an elimination of swag bags, but I figured it for a longshot at best.

YoungFrey on
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Occam wrote: »
    I can understand the reasoning for no 4-day passes, but maybe in the future there could be some sort of discount for buying multiple day passes? I'd love to go all 4 days (and I would actually go all four days), but $160 per person seems like a bit much. I was lucky enough to get in fast enough to get anything this year, but can't swing $320 for me and my wife, not including travel, hotel, and time off. Especially considering last time I was able to go, 2011, I got my 3-day pass for $55.

Also a little warning would have been nice, for planning/strategery.

There's absolutely no reason to discount a full four day attendance for a show that sells out in less than an hour. It does suck if that $20 or $30 a head is the deal beaker for you attending that fourth day, but honestly there's another nerd willing to pay full price to go that last day in your place, and maybe he'll be thrilled he got to get in at all.

If the point of adding Monday was to let more people attend, discounting it kinda (to some extent) defeats the purpose.

I'd say all the changes are for the best. However, for those of us with badge displays, it might be nice if they'd include (or even sell?) a "souvenir" overall con badge. I'd pay a couple bucks for it. Not have it valid for entry or anything. Just as a keepsake.

Edit: Just anything without a specific day on it. I've used BYOC for that before too, but obviously those are limited.

mcdermott on
  • I3izzyI3izzy Nonofficial member of the F5 brigade FG, ORRegistered User regular
    I totally just thought about how there will be no bathroom for people in the que area.

I am also going to be very surprised if someone doesn't fall on the way in and up the escalators.

ZYseqtZ.png
  • DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    I3izzy wrote: »
    Sweet, so if the weather sucks we get to wait outside in the rain. I think that is bad planning especially how full that que room gets.
    The area outside the Annex (and the entire block in front of the convention center) is covered. In fact, the glass covering is designed to look like an umbrella.

20111228163748_x_765a84de0d11c3b6.jpg

Dreamwriter on
    The area outside the Annex (and the entire block in front of the convention center) is covered. In fact, the glass covering is designed to look like an umbrella.

20111228163748_x_765a84de0d11c3b6.jpg

No offence, but have you seen the que room? The people that fill that room will not be able to fit on the street out front. They would also be blocking businesses. For the last year or two that have had to cap the Que room, I think on both Fridays and Saturdays and then start a second que room outside in the smoking area.

I understand they want to get more space. But this seems to me like a weak way to try and expand their square footage.

ZYseqtZ.png
  • LazorzLazorz Tokyo, JPRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    I'm sorry, but deal with it? Bring an umbrella if you're queueing on the WSCC side. Or you could queue in the Annex line, which I'd assume will actually be inside the building. I, for one, am perfectly fine with the queue line (something that only lasts and hour or two) being relocated in order to benefit the Expo Hall experience, which takes up a considerably larger amount of the average person's day.

Lazorz on
  • OccamOccam Registered User regular
    mcdermott wrote: »
    There's absolutely no reason to discount a full four day attendance for a show that sells out in less than an hour. It does suck if that $20 or $30 a head is the deal beaker for you attending that fourth day, but honestly there's another nerd willing to pay full price to go that last day in your place, and maybe he'll be thrilled he got to get in at all.

If the point of adding Monday was to let more people attend, discounting it kinda (to some extent) defeats the purpose.
    You make some good points. I guess I was just bummed that it took me three years to score the chance to go again, and the price for the "full experience" jumped from $55 to $160 (or $120 if you want to compare 3 days to 3 days, still more than 2x the cost). Now I'm settling for one day (kicking myself now that I didn't buy a couple days), but you're right that if more people are able to go, that's a good thing.

Just have to hope now that if there are any events/panels that I would really love to see, they just happen to fall on the day I'm going.

• mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Occam wrote: »
    mcdermott wrote: »

You make some good points. I guess I was just bummed that it took me three years to score the chance to go again, and the price for the "full experience" jumped from $55 to $160 (or $120 if you want to compare 3 days to 3 days, still more than 2x the cost). Now I'm settling for one day (kicking myself now that I didn't buy a couple days), but you're right that if more people are able to go, that's a good thing.

Just have to hope now that if there are any events/panels that I would really love to see, they just happen to fall on the day I'm going.

Yeah, I know that bummed feeling. Same for me last year when I realized I couldn't stomach over $100 for a scalped badge just for Saturday. So I didn't go that day.

I guess I'd also forgotten just how fast the price has climbed. But really, the 3-day fee back then was ridiculously low. Arguably it had a negative impact, back when it cost less for a 3-day badge than for two one-day badges...I don't doubt that a lot of attendee-days got completely wasted back then. But damn, $55 to $120 (3-day) in a couple short years is pretty steep, true.

• zwitterionzwitterion Registered User regular
    Queue room will be missed. Climate controlled, bathrooms, easy streetpass. Oh well.

• MiddyBotMiddyBot Registered User regular
    I'm alright with all those changes, especially that last one I'm not too affected by it since I've always lucked out and got sets of single day passes. My small collection of badges looks a lot better with the colorful assortments... Just the matter of trading out the badges on the right days before leaving out the hotel room, and hiding the rest not used (a little paranoid, better to be safe than sorry). My only worry about the first rule, every time we lined up for Expo Hall, when we finally get inside, we see other attendees already inside the building and just merging with the line. They didn't have to wait queue room/outside in the long line. I'd consider skipping the waiting in line thing, and just wait to check out other places besides the Expo Hall.

• Dr.RocktipusDr.Rocktipus Registered User regular
    I like the idea behind rule 2, I wish enforcers the best of luck in enforcing it.

I also like the idea behind rule 1, and while the queue room is large enough to accommodate a fair number of booths, queuing up outside doesn't sound particularly pleasant. I usually went early friday and waited outside until the queue room opened up, it was never the highlight of my morning. Ditching the queue room may encourage people just showing up later to avoid such issues. I am also a little concerned with how people are going to get into the CC in the mornings, and how much backup there will be. There are only so many doors into the building and unless that stuff is handled supremely then I feel there could be some major issues. The front entrance of the CC and especially the escalators leading up the show are crowded at busier times. With everyone trying to get to the show in the morning, I smell either injuries, long waits, or both.

• DashDDashD Dread Pirate Chef Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    The biggest problem I see with getting rid of the queue room is keeping people from just milling about the convention center. The main floor and escalators are open to the public pretty much all the time. Saying the queue will be outside is fine, but is there really a good way to enforce it?

Also, <3 #2. Huge respect for cosplay, NOT on the expo floor.

"Brilliant! Oh wait, if we were meant to fly, we would have been born with little bags of nuts."
    PAX_Badge_Sig.png
    edited May 2015
    Is the FAQ on the webpage current? This is about 2014 right?
    I don’t see League of Legends on the schedule. I’m freaking out, man! Where is it, man?Back to Top
    Whoa. Ok, hey, it’s cool. League of Legends is going to be holding their North American Regionals in the Queue Room. They are turning it into a special massive theater each day. So head to Level 4 of the WSCC to check them out.

Because this doesn't sound like the changes they announced.

YoungFrey on
  • David CoffmanDavid Coffman Registered User, PAX Staff regular
    That's a relic from the past. Just removed it...sorry for the confusion!

• karmaguykarmaguy Seattle, WARegistered User new member
    It's funny how many people complain they can't buy full-event badges; if people (PAX organizers and attendees) would realize that compared to worldwide events (conventions) $160 for full-attendance is not bad. I think they should make ALL badges for the entirety of the event and charge more. Or at least bring back full-attendance badges and charge much more; that way TRUE fans can attend and not deal with the scalpers and jerks that buy tons and turn around and resell for profit.
    Also I think badges should be personalized with name and info <on back with some type of foil or something to not allow re-creation> so that the tickets CANT BE RESOLD. That's a sure-fire way to eliminate the resellers from taking away from those that would like to attend.

I have to say the new wider aisles are awesome - great job whomever made that decision! It's soo much nicer to walk through the expo hall this year. The only time I felt crowded was at the Indie Megabooth (and I would guess that it's up to booth folk to organize their own booths).

edited August 2015
    I have to say the new wider aisles are awesome - great job whomever made that decision! It's soo much nicer to walk through the expo hall this year. The only time I felt crowded was at the Indie Megabooth (and I would guess that it's up to booth folk to organize their own booths).

The Indie MegaBooth is a little crowded, but I can say it was *way* less crowded than in 2013. It was a solid mass of people then, practically shoulder to shoulder.

YoungFrey on
    That's how it was for me today at the Megabooth, an Enforcer had to tell people to make room in the center of the aisle so that people could actually move

That's how it was for me today at the Megabooth, an Enforcer had to tell people to make room in the center of the aisle so that people could actually move
    I guess I just went at a light time. Well, at least we know there are cycles to it.