As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is out NOW! See you guys in a thousand years!

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    you can't block behind you

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Typically no, my arms don't really bend that way

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    SilverWind wrote: »
    Also I really hope they do a great job with Yennifer. Because Triss is awesome

But Yennifer is awesomer

She is all Type A and she and Geralt are both alpha as hell and spend most of the time in the novels clawing each others' eyes out

But then pining for each other as fiercely as heck

And then blowing up everyone that gets in their and Ciri's way
    "Really? Well then... Tell me what they're talking about? Tell me what it all means!"

"Look through that hole again and tell me what they're doing."

"Hmm..." Ciri bit her lower lip, then leaned over and put her eye closer to the hole. "Madam Yennefer is standing by a willow... She's plucking leaves and playing with her star. She isn't saying anything and isn't even looking at Geralt... And Geralt's standing beside her. He's looking down and he's saying something. No, he isn't. Oh, he's pulling a face... What a strange expression..."

"Childishly simple," said Dandelion, finding an apple in the grass, wiping it on his trousers and examining it critically. "He's asking her to forgive him for his various foolish words and deeds. He's apologizing to her for his impatience, for his lack of faith and hope, for his obstinancy, doggedness. For his sulking and posing; which are unworthy of a man. He's apologizing to her for things he didn't understand and for things he hadn't wanted to understand-"

"That's the falsest lie!" said Ciri, straightening up and tossing the fringe away form her forehead with a sudden movement. "You're making it all up!"

"He's apologizing for things he's only now understood," said Dandelion, staring at the sky, and he began to speak with the rhythm of a balladeer. "For what he'd like to understand, but is afraid he won't have time for... And for what he will never understand. He's apologizing and asking for forgiveness... Hmm, hmm... Meaning, conscience, destiny? Everything's so bloody banal..."

"That's not true!" Ciri stamped. "Geralt isn't saying anything like that! He's not even speaking. I saw for myself. He's standing with her and saying nothing..."

"That's the role of poetry, Ciri. To say what others cannot utter."

"It's a stupid role. And you're making everything up!"

"That is also the role of poetry. Hey, I hear some raised voices coming from the pond. Have a quick look, and see what's happening there."

"Geralt," said Ciri, putting her eye once more to the hole in the wall, "is standing with his head bowed. And Yennefer's yelling at him. She's screaming and waving her arms. Oh dear... What can it mean?"

"It's childishly simple." Dandelion stared at the clouds scudding across the sky. "Now she's saying sorry to him."

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • cornellcornell Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    I bought Witcher 1 and 2 last year after seeing previews for this. I've been slowly working my way through the first game, but I'll never finish both in time. Hopefully before Steam puts it in the Summer Sale though.

cornell on
    Go straight to the second game. Just go. Go go go go go!

The first game has great writing but it has so many more problems than the sequel, narratively and mechanically. Jump into the good shit! Get ye to the fun stuff!

dN0T6ur.png
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    boy i hope the PS4 version isn't broken

Really I hope none of the versions are broken

I don't want the CD Projekt Red standard "don't play this for at least a month" schedule

6F32U1X.png
  • rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    I wish I hadn't watched the Conan video.

REAL HILARIOUS IN GAME EVENT SPOILER
    Seeing Geralt and Yennefer have sex on a goddamn unicorn without spoilers would have been amazing.

rhylith on
    Is that like a hella real spoiler or just like a "Oh Conan, you're so goofy" spoiler

dN0T6ur.png
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    bonin' spoilers

6F32U1X.png
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Is that like a hella real spoiler or just like a "Oh Conan, you're so goofy" spoiler

I read the spoiler.

I think its real...and its glorious so don't read it.

It's a real spoiler don't click it.

edited May 2015
    https://youtu.be/nYwe_WHARdc

All right this trailer is baller

I should find a way to put it in the OP

Edit: Jesus that preview image, though

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Oh man, I'm so hyped for this game.

Witcher 2 is in my top 5 favourite games ever.

Has it actually been confirmed at all which ending is considered canon, or are they rolling over your choices from the second game?

It's weird how that video used "THERE'S RACISM IN THIS GAME'S WORLD" as a selling point twice.

• Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Oh man, I'm so hyped for this game.

Witcher 2 is in my top 5 favourite games ever.

Has it actually been confirmed at all which ending is considered canon, or are they rolling over your choices from the second game?

I think they're doing the Mass Effect 2 thing where they're all, "Hey, dawg, can you remember which bro you hung out with last adventure?" And then you have the option of saying which bro and they're like, "Word, word, I remember that, just making sure YOU could remember that. Say, did you kill that one thing or was that that other dude?"

I mean I get that they're trying to point out the struggles of the elves in their society because it's an interesting plot point but just the way they sell it here is odd is all.

rhylith wrote: »
    It's weird how that video used "THERE'S RACISM IN THIS GAME'S WORLD" as a selling point twice.

In fairness it's a huge part of that fictional world; racial tension in the Witcher games makes Dragon Age look tame in comparison. If you mess around too much in Witcher 1 or Witcher 2 you can end up in the middle of actual pogroms. This is almost like a warning!

But yeah

As a bit of advertising it's clumsy as Hell

dN0T6ur.png
    rhylith wrote: »

In fairness it's a huge part of that fictional world; racial tension in the Witcher games makes Dragon Age look tame in comparison. If you mess around too much in Witcher 1 or Witcher 2 you can end up in the middle of actual pogroms. This is almost like a warning!

But yeah

As a bit of advertising it's clumsy as Hell

Oh yeah for sure! I need to go back and play through the Iorveth plotline sometime. I picked the other one for some weird reason and then later heard that Iorveth's was way more interesting.

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    The third book, which I just finished, has a bit where a female member of the party gets pregnant and it starts causing problems on the road
    And the men are sitting around like, well what do we do about this
    And one of them is like, hold on, you're not suggesting we try to dictate- and they're all like NO NO IT'S A WOMAN'S RIGHT TO CHOOSE, I WOULD NEVER, WE'RE NOT BARBARIANS HERE

Even the dude from the society that is literally Nazi Germany is like, shit, have a little more respect for me than that

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    What is it with people and horses, why do so many people want to be naked and/or fucking nearby or even on top of a horse

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    They're big animals with phallic faces

"Phallic faces" is an original and oddly disquieting explanation of the phenomena

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

Hobnail wrote: »
    What is it with people and horses, why do so many people want to be naked and/or fucking nearby or even on top of a horse

have you ever ridden a horse

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    it is like riding a giant vibrator

muscles all up on your dick and balls/vagina/equipment of choice

Chincy that went in a different direction than I thought it was going

dN0T6ur.png
    Are you suggesting I get naked and grind my genitals into the rippling dorsal musculature of a galloping stallion Chincymcchilla

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    I think its funny that well "fantasy racism" isn't really new or unique to the fantasy genre.

That said most of it is pretty tropey and lacking in any weight or critical application so I guess if you feel your product stands out from the crowd you would point it out.

Dragkonias on
    The Irish used to ride naked and without a saddle, so

Hobnail wrote: »
    Are you suggesting I get naked and grind my genitals into the rippling dorsal musculature of a galloping stallion Chincymcchilla

I'm saying if you ride a horse it grinds your genitals for you

Dragkonias wrote: »
    I think its funny that well "fantasy racism" isn't really new or unique to the fantasy genre.

That said most of it is pretty tropey and lacking in any weight or critical application so I guess if you feel your product stands out from the crowd you would point it.

The Witcher series is pretty good at getting down and dirty about it, still. It feels very... Polish? According to a Polish friend of mine, anyway

dN0T6ur.png
    So I'm right to feel uncomfortable around horse enthusiasts

Respectable women rode horses sidesaddle back in the day

That said most of it is pretty tropey and lacking in any weight or critical application so I guess if you feel your product stands out from the crowd you would point it.

The Witcher series is pretty good at getting down and dirty about it, still. It feels very... Polish? According to a Polish friend of mine, anyway

it is very Eastern European Fantasy

Well, I really don't mind when people draw from real life experience to try and tackle themes like that.

Though, I think you should try to at least have your own spin on it. Lean to heavily on the analogies and you just get one big stand-in for said theme and its like at that point you might as well be addressing that theme directly.

Not to say its the case here, just commenting on writing in general.

• HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    https://youtu.be/nYwe_WHARdc

All right this trailer is baller

I should find a way to put it in the OP

Edit: Jesus that preview image, though

You haven't seen someone who REALLLLY likes raspberry jam before?

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    The world of Witcher,

didn't it sort of used to be basically Earth but then some magical rift opened and all the stuff flooded in and it's been thousands of years but that's why they understand stuff like DNA and such?

• Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    They totally have weird shit like that, but I think it's just an anachronistic joke. They throw a diagnostic spell that determines some beast is extra angry because it has cancer.

Fuck off and die.
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Pretty sure I remember reading some history stuff in 2 about there being some kind of dimensional overlap or rift type of thing in the wayback forgotten times.

I think that's an interesting concept

This discussion has been closed.