As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Chester United - [PC, Mac, Linux, Console information coming soon]

TubeTube Registered User admin
_Chester United (PC, Mac, Linux, Console information coming soon)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiXMPZ5qFag

_Current Demo (Downloadable + WebPlayer)
http://bbg-games.com/united_demo

_Everyone loves screenshots
xk68puZ.jpgqWhnA6K.jpgLnHTmF5.jpgEDkCitJ.jpgbg13HGj.jpgQM8z0jI.jpgtgcu3YZ.jpg4vrZ79B.jpg2FsfVyM.jpg6L9zpoA.jpgHtH3d7N.jpgnRqPuP8.jpgKDwOJV2.jpgftFeOMv.jpg

_What is Chester United?
Chester United is a platformer with multiple playabale characters and styles that can be changed on the fly.
These styles change the look of the entire world around Chester and grant unique gameplay bonuses such as weaker enemies, slower platforms, faster attacks, and much more.
The final game will feature around 15 characters, 10 styles, 8 worlds, and 50 levels.
Chester United is a sequel to the original Chester.

_The story of Chester United
Chester’s old friend The Bad Guy has gone off the deep end for reasons unknown.* Destroying worlds, tearing apart the fabric of the universe(s) and stealing your cupcakes.
It’s up to Chester to build a team of his strongest other-universe-selves, traverse foreign worlds, lay the smackdown on some undeserving nature, and reclaim his cupcakes.
The rest of that stuff can deal with itself.

NSBwJMm.jpg
_Styles
Styles are one of the main gameplay mechanics of Chester. They allow you to change the entire look of the game and each grant unique bonuses.
Think of them as equipment for the world.

Styles will include the Chesterverse, Bit, Sketch, LCD, Blueprint, BLOCK, Dr. (Don’t) Sue Us, Tattoo, and more!
Many of these are still a work in progress so they aren’t quite represented in the current screenshots. For shame.

GoRAFq2.jpg
_Chesters
Each of the many unlockable characters is actually a Chester from a different universe.
They can range from sketched versions, to classy gentlemen, to tanks and spaceships.
Each character has their own unique attacks that level up and become more powerful the more you use them.

_The worlds of Chester
5hj1mby.jpg
A few of these in these worlds as they appear in their normal style

That mashing together of universes by The Bad Guy really mixed things up.
On his quest for frosted salvation, Chester will venture to a wide variety of worlds including forests, deserts, candytopias, space, underwater labrynths, cities, and more!

_Other things do do
There are many other things to do in the world of Chester United as well.
Find out more about the world by unlocking Bestiary entries, collect stamps to unlock new Chesters and other content, hunt down rare hidden items, and more.

_Links
Steam Greenlight
Developer Blog
Twitter
IndieDB

*You were kind of a jerk

• Options
    BennFriedBennFried Registered User regular
    Thanks for posting this!

Developer here, if you have any comments/feedback/bugs to report let me know! I'll be trying to post pretty frequent updates here as well.
    I'll also be at PAX Dev and Prime this year if anyone wants to try out the game in person down the line.

ZARP
  • Options
    Playing around with the LCD style a bit today, decide to probably break LCD up into two unique Styles: 80s and 90s.
    Haven't gotten to 90s yet, but here is a tiny preview of 80s.

Nothing too spectacular yet, trying to get that G&W feel down a little bit more. (Also the rocks in this are terrible and need to go.)
    6YLfSWW.jpg

Then finally playing around with lights a little bit, which is something I've wanted to do but had been putting off for ages.
    7HlfOqL.gif

Should make things feel a bit more alive.

ZARP
  • Options
    After some time getting settled back in the US I'm finally back to work full time on Chester_United.
    Probably going to try to post a large update about once a week or so, so get excited. Or don't. Your choice.

Here is a quick image dump of the work done over the past few weeks.

Adding in some small wildlife to make things feel more alive. (Gfycat)

Also made the start menu a little bit less boring. (Gfycat)

Was a little bored and needed a quick break from art, so I stole the fun pause-thumbstick thing from Smash Bros.
    ZBOdiOX.gif
    yLkdd1L.gif
    t3ZFEwA.gif

Added in some foreground and background layers to make the levels feels less like they're floating in space.
    jfV5sMU.jpg
    cT0kCup.jpg
    sK2TSlw.jpg

(The organization gets a bit ugly)
    MxaNiZr.jpg

Got palette swaps in. A bit boring right now, but for style like Sketch it will switch it from looking like pencil to chalk or pen. So not COMPLETELY boring.
    Xc17XJo.jpg
    KnstAv4.jpg
    N52JuEG.jpg

And a bunch of reanimated enemies!
    foM6gaH.gif
    omlRaCl.gif
    Gwb858O.gif
    B59bkad.gif
    aOZaiAO.gif

That's about it for now, hoping to have a new demo out over the next week or two. Also posting pretty much daily to the DevBlog (Tumlbr) if you want some more frequent updates.

ZARP
  • Options
    New Demo is finally ready for PC, Mac, and Linux.
    http://brilliantblueg.com/game.php?game=chesterUnited&p=demo

Also a tiny trailer for the demo, because I hate editing videos. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmQT_RE_bTE

Also a few images of a new Style that is in the demo, Crystal.
    iDrSQSm.jpg
    XEcU7PL.jpg
    YUGnyhO.jpg
    r8dH7Vf.jpg

ZARP
  • Options
    First boss is functional. Incredibly ugly right now, but functional.
    DaNnUQX.jpg

And every platformer needs an evil recreation of the main character to fight just before the real final boss.
    AGmr9Lb.jpg

A little press coverage this past week.
    Siliconera
    Destructoid

Redesigned website! brilliantblueg.com

And had an interview with the good guys over at IndieGameRiot, should be up early next week.

ZARP
  • Options
    I think I may be the only one in this thread ever, but gonna try to keep to daily updates for a while (he said to only himself.)

A few sketches for some enemies.
    pzMoneH.jpg
    A simple bat for the fortress levels.

faVfHXB.jpg
    And a lightbulb-spider.
    Probably going to throw him in the Factory levels and have him actually light up the level. So you can deal with vision+dodging enemies or kill them and play through with limited visibility.

ZARP
  • Options
    Quick animation for the Bat enemy. Still need to touch it up+add more squish+some inbetweens.
    qipItfx.gif

Also switching the UI to hiding when you don't need it, makes everything look much cleaner.
    kLGm3qg.jpg
    MwwYoY5.jpg
    PdvxvNy.jpg

ZARP
  • Options
    Doing a kind of "soft opening" for PC/Mac/Linux/Steam preorders with the Humble Widget. I'll probably make a bigger push for preorders with the next demo release.
    EaTDyrd.gif

cF7Cj6n.gif
    And a first look at anything from the Fortress areas. These heart containers will need to be destroyed to make large enemies more vulnerable to your Chesterly wiles.

ZARP
  • Options
    I've recovered from my Sunday heartbreak (I don't think I'll ever truly recover from that Packers loss) and I'm back to work!

Early video of the first boss
    Still needs all of his audio and a little bit ore tweaking, but he's getting close to done. That's also the first look at the Factory setting as well.
    Factory levels are going to be very spike-heavy levels that are split up in many different rooms.

Here's some random Factory sketches to get an idea of what else you might encounter there:
    9R3BcfO.jpg
    yPQiH8o.jpg
    sjkTxH6.jpg

And a few more rough Fortress ideas.
    mjLQUCS.jpg
    Also that little diamond enemy in the middle is definitely getting into the game.
    He is going to sneeze his shards at you. That sounded dirty but it’s going to be totally adorable.

ZARP
  • Options
    Adding in some weather to give levels some more variety.
    Mfswpc8.gif
    fZwtrbE.jpg

I feel like the standard enemies in the game right now are pretty lacking, so going to be focusing on enemy design for the next few days. Going to try to have 3-5 unique enemy types per setting and probably 1 unique enemy per level to keep the game feeling fresh.

So 7 settings give me around 21-35 enemies from that and another ~30 or so for unique-per level. (Ok, may need to cut this number down a little bit.)

ZARP
  • Options
    Finally getting around to doing some small developer-play videos.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNKED2vo9DU
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Cc_S0XnHEQ

ZARP
  • Options
    grenadetreegrenadetree Registered User new member
    Wow those gifs are tripy. Kinda looks like a diorama.

• Options
    Yeah, those are always my favorite to make.

Semester finally coming to an end, hoping to get back into the habit of sharing updates here.

ZARP