As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Magic: the Gathering] Uguu~~ The Spiwit Dwagon

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    tehjester wrote: »
    So according to mythic spoiler noble hierarchy and iona Aee going to be re released in modern masters along with all the eldrazi lords. Which makes me haveto ask, what makes noble hierarchy so damn awesome? I just don't get it. Yeah exalted is nice and it's only a one drop I just don't get why it's so popular and expensive

It does 3/5ths the job of Birds of Paradise, but honestly how many colors does an average Bird tap for? For most purposes the mana abilities are identical unless you specifically need red or black.

On a 0/1, exalted is a much stronger ability than flying unless you're doing nonsense like Ascendency combo.

In an infect deck, +1/+1 is effectively +2/+2. Even outside of infect, +1/+1 lets your guy swing into theirs when they would otherwise trade or bounce (think two opposing Kird Apes or Tarmogofys). And that's assuming you only have one Hierarch. Exalted stacking isn't relevant too often, but it does happen and makes your opponent miserable when it does.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    It can also beat down once you have two hierarchs on the table. Having a 2/3 for 1 is nothing to sneeze at.

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Yeah the Hierarch is powerful because it's incredibly versatile, all of its abilities are relevant, and it's only one mana. It's great on turn one, and if you draw it late game then the exalted is still useful, which is pretty rare in a one-drop (top decking a Bird of Paradise on turn 10 doesn't feel great).

It's expensive because it's powerful and it's only been printed once.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    slappybagslappybag Local Badass Minnesota, USARegistered User regular
    anyone here buy from: https://www.massdrop.com/buy ??

i got dragonmaze prerelease kits last week and played with some friends. not the best set, but i thought it was fine overall. pretty fun

• Options
    Massdrop is very reliable, if a bit slow on delivering their supplies. They're usually pretty good at communicating what's going on with any given 'drop', though. I use them sometimes.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I'm in that new to it phase where I'm super excited about playing but my group only gets together on the weekend, so i remember I have a duels game on steam from forever ago and load that up.

It's awful. The decks were full of cards that even I know are garbage and all you can do is unlock a couple extra sideboard cards for the few mono decks available.

I don't know if the newer ones are any better, but 2012 is not. I beat a couple of them through sheer force of hatred, but man it really kills my desire to play tonight, which i guess, mission accomplished?

• Options
    tehjestertehjester Tampa, FlRegistered User regular
    So my friend and I are thinking about playing on a standard prolevel. Not really expecting to end up on like a major pro tour but at least do fairly well on a local level. Question is using magic online a decent tool for prepping for this endeavor? Any of you guys use it? Or got any tips?

PSN: JesterKing13 Blizz Battletag: tehjester#1448
  • Options
    APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    So my friend and I are thinking about playing on a standard prolevel. Not really expecting to end up on like a major pro tour but at least do fairly well on a local level. Question is using magic online a decent tool for prepping for this endeavor? Any of you guys use it? Or got any tips?

MTGO is great tool for getting better at Magic. It's the best way to get a lot of reps in, especially Limited. I love it to death.

That said, be forewarned: the client is... Not great. Also it works just like the paper game in terms of financial investment. You have to buy cards from "dealers". The cards are generally a good bit cheaper on MTGO than they are in paper, since drafts are firing all the time adding more cards to the pool, thus devaluing them, but it still isn't cheap.

As an example, Esper Dragons runs around 454 in paper but 250 online according to mtggoldfish. But your stol building the deck twice.

If you want to get REALLY good, MTGO is pretty much a nessecity, unless you have a good group to test with in paper that has access to a huge variety of decks.

• Options
    hey I won 2 packs this week! Wheeeeeee!

This is the road to champion!

i haven't hit much in terms of a bomb or valuable rare though yet. the guy next to me opened a narsett transcendent today after also opening one in the fat pack he bought before the draft. We need to harness his power for good.

• Options

MTGO is great tool for getting better at Magic. It's the best way to get a lot of reps in, especially Limited. I love it to death.

That said, be forewarned: the client is... Not great. Also it works just like the paper game in terms of financial investment. You have to buy cards from "dealers". The cards are generally a good bit cheaper on MTGO than they are in paper, since drafts are firing all the time adding more cards to the pool, thus devaluing them, but it still isn't cheap.

As an example, Esper Dragons runs around 454 in paper but 250 online according to mtggoldfish. But your stol building the deck twice.

If you want to get REALLY good, MTGO is pretty much a nessecity, unless you have a good group to test with in paper that has access to a huge variety of decks.

MTGO's other major problem is the lack of support for loops/shortcuts. All of the testing you do online probably won't let you know how well your deck will fare against, say, Ascendancy Combo because it is a nightmare to actually play online.

• Options
    Good budget cards for standard esper control?

• Options
    The bummer is you absolutely need the ojutais. You could play Icefall Regeant over Silumgar, i guess.

• Options
    ive been building towards that deck after opening 1 ojutai and am similarly waffling over 1-2 more of him, the thought seizes and the heroes downfalls. That's a rough bill.

I've noticed duress and despise each do a different half of what thought seize does so I have them in place right now, though I assume it's not as competitive but it does trounce my friends. I guess it depends on the level you want to play?

I've been able to trade friends for most of it so far, and I used the introductory points you get with pucatrade to get cheaper things like the bile blights.

Also you can totally replace ugin with ashiok, nightmare weaver. I traded for a friends and she seems a great fit

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Ashiok is problematic if you're playing other mostly creatureless control decks. But if Siege Rhinos are around then Ashiok all day erreday.

I'm still doing very well with my Atarka Red deck, but tonight I'm doing my first Chaos Draft! I've really only played this current standard but i'm hoping I can find some fun packs.

edit: Also is Ashiok female? I can't tell at all.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    Ashiok is agender.

• Options
    Ashiok is agender.

Ashiok is Ashiok.

• Options
    Full spoilers for MM15 are up now. I'm actually excited to draft this set!

• Options
    I'm excited for this weekend. 2 drafts and a sealed party with friends. We're gonna have entirely too many commons after this weekend.

The shop I'm going to draft fnm tonight gives everyone a promo for signing up, which I'll have to remember whenever a more valuable one pops up

• Options
    edited May 2015

Surprised to not see Goblin Guide reprinted. Perhaps in BFZ although I would have bet money that they would not have wanted it in Standard again (esp alongside Lil' Zurgo and Swiftspear).

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »

Surprised to not see Goblin Guide reprinted. Perhaps in BFZ although I would have bet money that they would not have wanted it in Standard again (esp alongside Lil' Zurgo and Swiftspear).

As a current red deck player, yes please? That sounds delightful. Is the "letting your opponent draw free lands" not a potential issue though? (I started playing this in January really)

• Options
    edited May 2015
    I don't know what this goblin guide is but I'm gonna need a rabble replacement in 5 months

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Goblin Guide is a 2/2 with haste for one red mana. It's "drawback" is that when it attacks the defending player reveals the top card of their deck; if it's a land, they get to put it in their hand.

Which is a real drawback... if there's a land on top and your opponent needs one (or needs the card under it). What if they really need a land and there isn't one there? Oh hey, you get a free look at the brick you're going to draw next turn while this thing hits you again. Possibly with friends. Because if multiple Guides attack and the first trigger doesn't reveal a land? The others' won't either!

It gets "better". Imagine being on the draw against the red deck. Now that's never a fun situation, but when they go "Mountain, Guide, swing" (and they always have the Guide somehow) and you have a land on top, guess who will have nine cards in their hand by the time they get to their first main phase (assuming no mulligans)? Hope you have a one-drop in there or you get to discard to hand size on the first turn.

There are times when that drawback is significant. But those times are usually points in the game where the red deck would be in a losing position anyway.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Vyolynce wrote: »

As a current red deck player, yes please? That sounds delightful. Is the "letting your opponent draw free lands" not a potential issue though? (I started playing this in January really)

I'm not a red player, but from what I understand, the Guide's drawback is seen as an advantage, more often than not. Even if you're giving them extra lands, they can only play one per turn, and red decks aren't interested in games much longer than 4-5 turns. If it's not a land, then you just gained information about what they're playing. The only real downside is that giving them lands gets them closer to drawing actual cards you care about, but a 2/2 haste one-drop usually outweighs that.

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Also decks will be losing Bile Blight and Drown in Sorrow and the red spell that does 3 damage to each creature, meaning good luck handling a blitz before turn 5.

Of course, they would almost certainly print a counter card of some kind, probably some sort of wrath, but the point remains.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    Terrendos wrote: »
    Also decks will be losing Bile Blight and Drown in Sorrow and the red spell that does 3 damage to each creature, meaning good luck handling a blitz before turn 5.

Of course, they would almost certainly print a counter card of some kind, probably some sort of wrath, but the point remains.

Seismic Rupture (2 damage to all non-fliers for 2R) is sticking around, but yeah.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Two MM15 boxes reserved, what do I do with this thing can I make a modern deck with it? hold it to sell unopened later? I have one set of shock lands and the reprinted fetchlands

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    Please don't try to build a modern deck out of just things you find in the box and shocklands.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    i came back to standard during the reign of goblin guide, and i can tell you about that drawback

-he always drew me land
    -he still killed me dead

• Options
    So I didn't win anything tonight but I feel like I did the right thing. I lost my first round but had a great opponent and we talked about moves and picks and ways to improve and had a great time. My second round was against a young girl who has been at every fnm since I've started but has never placed for packs (2-1at this shop. Not sure if that's normal or not). She won the first game because I had no mana, I came back and won the second. I was winning the third when time was called. I can't beat her by our last extra turn so we're technically both 0-1-1. The judge is closing his store at the time so we're talking with the players around us before reporting and honestly there's No reason to report a draw at our standings because it drops us both out of contention for a payout even if we play the third round, so I offer her the win. Her third round opponent passes the win to her because they were leaving and probably a bit of the same emotional reaction as me and I've never seen someone so excited to win a couple booster packs.

Like that was super cool. I would have been super excited to have something like this game and community when I was a kid.

She got a foil dragonlord atarka from her winning so I'm smoking her next week though!

• Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    Please don't try to build a modern deck out of just things you find in the box and shocklands.

I WASN'T GOING TO BE THAT DUMB SHEESH (I.. I said I was adding fetches too....)

Really though, I still don't know if the $240 per box is even worth it.

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    As I type this I'm waiting for this guy to stop being "afk" so we can play our second game on MTGO. He lost to my wimpy sliver deck against his B/R land screw deck and now I guess he's mad. I'm just waiting till the clock ticks down to about the one minute mark and then I'm sending him this link. It has become my go to for jerk-offs like this

• Options
    PikaPuff wrote: »

Draft them with friends. Thats the value in buying those boxes imo

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    PikaPuff wrote: »

Draft them with friends. Thats the value in buying those boxes imo

If only I had 7 friends (that played Magic)

• Options
    Is karma from yesterday responsible for me pulling a narset in my playgroup's sealed party today? I say yes.

• Options
    The bummer is you absolutely need the ojutais. You could play Icefall Regeant over Silumgar, i guess.
    I haven't bought any dragons for the deck yet, so far I just have the ones I "lucked" into from packs:

j7ClVxq.png
    yPwHxFl.png
    SQysSk0.pngx2

I know they are pretty meh but I need dragons for foul tongue invocation and silumgars scorn. deck has been decent in kitchen-table games.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/12-05-15-starfish-control/

• Options
    edited May 2015
    I went to my first standard night at a local shop. There was soooooo much esper Dragons there. 3-1 with my mono red, including 2 wins against esper guys. But there was one guy who quit after 0-3 to three identical esper decks in a row. I can see it being frustrating. I have been building esper but now I'm concerned about using it in my local groups. We need the variety and besides if they all play esper, I can just burn them to death before they get established most games.

Lost to mardu Dragons. That was an interesting matchup and the guy was super nice and helpful after we were done and just waiting for some esper mirrors to run out time.

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    slappybag wrote: »
    I haven't bought any dragons for the deck yet, so far I just have the ones I "lucked" into from packs:

j7ClVxq.png
    yPwHxFl.png
    SQysSk0.pngx2

I know they are pretty meh but I need dragons for foul tongue invocation and silumgars scorn. deck has been decent in kitchen-table games.

I always forget Deathbringer Regent is a dragon. Everything about it screams demon to me.

• Options
    slappybag wrote: »

j7ClVxq.png
    yPwHxFl.png
    SQysSk0.pngx2

I always forget Deathbringer Regent is a dragon. Everything about it screams demon to me.
    other than being a 5/6 flyer he isnt good in a control deck lol

assuming im playing right all their stuff is countered or killed, there's never 5+ creatures out

• Options
    SilentRoughWaterSilentRoughWater Registered User regular
    I've dipped my toes into MtG after a very long break. It was such a long break I thought defenders still tapped. My group does standard play, so I started looking into building a few decently competitive decks...
    holy shit this is so expensive

sig.php?user=BrokenBrik

Wii U NNID: TJandSam Steam: BrokenBrik
  • Options
    I've dipped my toes into MtG after a very long break. It was such a long break I thought defenders still tapped. My group does standard play, so I started looking into building a few decently competitive decks...
    holy shit this is so expensive

Limited is Love. Limited is Life.