As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TRENCHES] Thursday, May 7, 2015 - Twisted

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited May 2015 in The Penny Arcade Hub
Twisted

Twisted
http://trenchescomic.com/comic/post/twisted

Maybe It’s More of a Cultural Thing

Anonymous

I’ve worked in QA for game companies in Australia as well as Singapore in the past before moving to a generic IT company to find some stability as a permanent staff instead of a contractor, and I find that I don’t get treated badly like most of these other submissions.

In the companies that I’ve worked for, generally speaking us QA staff sits on the same floor as the dev team, often even right next to each other. In fact one company I worked for deliberately spread out the QA staff so that at least one QA staff sits close to each feature team to make communication easier. We get invited to Friday drinks and yearly BBQs and basically get treated the same as everybody else. We do have to work crazy hours during crunch time, but there’s always at least one dev and one dev manager with us the entire time on top of the QA manager. Normally if we don’t encounter any issues, they’re basically just there to organize food for everyone and keep morale up.

I did encounter one horrible asshole of a manager once. He wasn’t my manager, but he was definitely an asshole. He used to work for a global game company in one of their US studios and within a month of starting he began abusing his staff, screaming expletives at them, making absurd last minute demands caused by his own lack of preparation and just generally being an asshole. He seems to be under the impression that his staff aren’t people. Luckily for his team our CEO (really nice guy) who was doing his regular rounds around the office overheard him on one of his rants and fired him two days later.

I think the problem of testers being treated like second class citizens may be more of a cultural thing in big companies or certain countries more than the game industry in general.

Geth on

• Options
    DJSquiggyDJSquiggy Registered User regular
    soooooo..... these comics are over my head. maybe i am getting old, but these "stream of consciousness" comics are falling flat.

Isaac was testing a horror game with Cora, then talked about friending Marleys dad on facebook, now we are talking about a twister game? i miss the definable story arcs. i mean, a one-off joke every now and again is fine, but these comics only exist to make the joke, not tell a story

also, tales with no drama aren't any fun.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    DJSquiggy wrote: »

I think that's the point.

• Options
    SpiraMirabilisSpiraMirabilis Registered User regular
    DJSquiggy wrote: »
    soooooo..... these comics are over my head. maybe i am getting old, but these "stream of consciousness" comics are falling flat.

Isaac was testing a horror game with Cora, then talked about friending Marleys dad on facebook, now we are talking about a twister game? i miss the definable story arcs. i mean, a one-off joke every now and again is fine, but these comics only exist to make the joke, not tell a story

I think its trying to emphasize the huge number of different contracts or products that AAA QA departments test now that they're owned by EA or their universe equivalent. I have actually found them kind of funny lately, although this one is just sort of 'meh'.