As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Lights, Camera, Chromatize! [Chroma Squad]

MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother?Registered User regular
dYp28LT.png

PENNY ARCADE FORUM, RECRUIT A TEAM OF STUNT ACTORS WHO ARE KIND OF TIRED OF THEIR JOBS

9lBDCww.png

Chroma Squad is a new Indie Super Sentai Tactical RPG TV Studio Management game from ESWWCrr.png, the creators of Knights of the Pen & Paper

xEiA0FZ.jpg
In Chroma Squad, you manage a group of stunt actors who get together and decide they've had enough of listening to no-talent directors, and decide to form their own TV Studio to film their own Super Sentai show.
If you've played Behold's previous game, you will probably be pretty familiar with the central conceit of Chroma Squad, wherein the mundane foundation of the game and the fantastical premise of the fictional overlay blend together. Sure, you may be just managing a bunch of actors, but once you get into combat situations they may as well be fighting actual aliens, albeit occasionally shoddily costumed aliens.

Throughout each season of your Super Sentai TV show, you'll work to buy and upgrade equipment for your TV studio, craft weapons and armor out of duct tape and play-doh, and create a "giant" robot out of cardboard. And as you progress through each season, your sentai team will become stronger, unlocking new skills based on their role in the team. Better production values means more fans, more fans means more money, and more money means you can finally ditch that helmet you made out of an old bucket and get some real props.

tnYOBmc.png?1xpvbuxj.png?1
te8dpNg.png?1yiIUXp3.png?1

Chroma Squad just released today and can be purchased at Chromasquad.com, which gets you a Steam key along with a DRM free download if that's your kind of thing.

• El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    I just checked out the trailer on Steam on a lark as I browsed the storefront for what was new. This banner was flipping through games and this one popped up and I remembered seeing something about Chroma Squad being mentioned in the G&T pages.

I'm super-tempted to pick this up, not least because Behold's first game was such a great effort and I'd happily support their future games, plus this game seems right up my Sentai-loving alley.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I'm getting further into the game now, just starting up season 3, and this story is starting to go some weird places.

Enjoying the combat more as the game progresses also, since you only unlock a new skill for each character every season, which can lead to the early gameplay feeling kind of stark.

My one wish would be some way to just fuck around and "farm" or something, but the achievements seem to suggest that you can just kind of keep playing after you finish the story, judging by the "Complete 100 episodes" achievement. Considering seasons 1 and 2 were six episodes each, and season 3 is seven, I somehow doubt seasons 4 and 5 will be a combined eighty-one episodes.

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Sentai shows never did much for me, but turn-based strategy and base management? Sign me up. So I'll probably get this at some point.

I started out on the hardest difficulty, because why not. Digging the music for most of the game so far.

My Support character is the default, Techie is the Robot, Leader is the Beaver, Assault is the Panda and Scout is Michonne.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I'm real tempted to grab the soundtrack after playing for a few days

Speaking of the roles, something I only realized after playing for a bit, every role has a specific action that will grant you a boost of audience.

Lead gains audience by doing teamwork actions like acrobatics and team attacks, Assault gains audience by attacking, Techie gains audience by using any skills including weapon attacks, Scout gains audience by moving (so always move your Scout before attacking), and Support gains audience from healing anyone.

Just finished season 3, and man

This story starts fucking going off the rails

I like how the game rewards you for doing things in as flashy a way as possible. My team's flipping all over the damn place, even when they don't need to. In fact, especially when they don't need to. There's no reason at all for me to take out that last random mook with a finishing move, but the audience'll love it, so...

I haven't had enough time with the game this weekend. I just finished Season 1, Episode 3 and man, these e-mails coming in...

How much impact will they have? Not looking for spoilers, and I'm sure they'll affect the game's story and ending to a degree. Like the e-mail from the former director? So torn on how to reply...

And the advertising agency who's offering a free week for turning audience into fans. I fully expect the game to think you're getting a good deal saying yes, but the fact that they don't get into pricing structure and just say "ONE WEEK FREE" means I feel like it'll cost me a buttload of cash afterwards because games are evil.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I haven't had enough time with the game this weekend. I just finished Season 1, Episode 3 and man, these e-mails coming in...

How much impact will they have? Not looking for spoilers, and I'm sure they'll affect the game's story and ending to a degree. Like the e-mail from the former director? So torn on how to reply...

And the advertising agency who's offering a free week for turning audience into fans. I fully expect the game to think you're getting a good deal saying yes, but the fact that they don't get into pricing structure and just say "ONE WEEK FREE" means I feel like it'll cost me a buttload of cash afterwards because games are evil.

Saying yes to the email unlocks the whole marketing section, and the first week (ie: one episode) is free. After that, you can sign a contract for 1 or 3 weeks, with 3 being slightly cheaper per. There's different people you can sign too, like your friend or your dad's accountant. I have no idea what most of the different powers you can use do though.

So it's safe to say yes. There's one email though that seems like it's really important.
    The director emails you and gives you 3 choices. Hire him, pay him tributes, or say you'll see him in court. No clue where that will go, but I told him to stuff it.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    I too have got the director's e-mail and have seen at least one consequence.
    I told him I'd see him in court. This led to an episode in Season 2 where I had a mech fight with a demonic lawyer.

So I think I did the right thing.

I'm so disappointed that the OST doesn't have an extended version of Gaga's theme.

Hmm. Found something of a bug.

While I can upgrade my Mech's basic components, I can't swap them out for the others. So now my Mech will never have that giant chest laser I've always wanted it to have. It doesn't break the game, just my heart.

You have to build the base versions of each of the other parts, maybe that's it?

My mech setup is currently the Hit rate head, laser chest, Hit rate+Accurate punch arm, Attack+triple punch arm, and health+heal on knockdown legs.

Having a finisher that never misses, paired with the triple punch for +3 combo in one action (if the first punch hits, all three hit) is great.

Maddoc wrote: »
    You have to build the base versions of each of the other parts, maybe that's it?

Sadly, no. I can equip my lvl 2 chest laser piece just fine, but once an actual mech battle starts it reverts to the standard piece.

Ah well.

That's super weird

Have you used the in game bug report button to shoot them a line about it?

And there's a patch out that supposedly fixes the mech (as well as some other stuff).

But since I kind of like my upgraded standard mech just fine right now, I don't think I'll go and see if it's actually fixed. I'll just wait for my next playthrough.

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Behold Studios Is Brazilian, composed of a few, very brave Brazilian dudes. It warms my heart to see their games being talked about in these forums.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    I think I need to step back and ignore the achievement for nailing all of the Director objectives in Season 1 (yeah, I'm still THERE). The Fat Alien episode had me trying numerous times because of his lame hit-and-run strategy with his gun. If he dodged an attack by a character, it usually meant failing that objective.

Now I've got that episode beat, and Season 1 Ep. 5 with the Transitmancer is giving me another hard time due to the beat all enemies in 4 turns and do 5 team attacks. I just don't think it's doable while in Challenging difficulty without aborting a few times and having to redo the first fight multiple times. :(

I swear there's some X-Com RNG going on with the hit rate on mech fights

Any time it drops to like 80% or less, just always miss

• ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    So apparently this game can't be sold in the Middle East or Asia any more. Which makes things interesting because I live in Japan and purchased it while it was for sale, but my purchase is still pending because I chose to pay by bank deposit and those don't get processed during holidays. I'll find out tomorrow (presumably) whether it went through or not.

EDIT: Apparently Saban/Toei have released the lawyers, which is why it's no longer for sale.

Chrysis on
    Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    Do other countries not have parody exceptions?

Because, at least for U.S. law, this game is basically the definition of that.

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Doesn't matter if you're protected if you can't afford the legal fees to defend against spurious claims.

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I was interested in this game ages ago but the "Inspired by Saban's Power Rangers" line after the American company Sabian sued and bullied the Brazillian developers for making a parody on the same Japanese Super Sentai genre that Sabian adapts makes me want to throw up.

I'm not sure I even want to play the game with Sabian's name on the fucking package.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
    edited May 2015
    I was interested in this game ages ago but the "Inspired by Saban's Power Rangers" line after the American company Sabian sued and bullied the Brazillian developers for making a parody on the same Japanese Super Sentai genre that Sabian adapts makes me want to throw up.

I'm not sure I even want to play the game with Sabian's name on the fucking package.

If it makes you feel any better, the game takes several not-very-subtle swipes at Saban.

WotanAnubis on
  • QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular

Honestly, this game would've been released six months ago if not for the copyright hell Saban ran it through. Just be lucky it's out at all. Not saying it isn't a dick move by Saban, but at least it's not like the Robotech/Macross/Harmony Gold/Big West clusterfuck where nothing will see the light of day outside Japan.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Frickin ridiculous..

Saban bullying the harmless indie love letter to the sentai genre. Big man.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Unsurprisingly, corporate suits don't see the value of maintaining a fandom that they are not directly monetizing.

I was under the impression that no cut or licensing fees was being paid to Saban, and they settled solely on the terms of the Inspired by subtitle, but I could be mistaken there.

Finished the game and wanted to leave a few thoughts on the story.
    I liked the story whenever it was about this group of disgruntled stuntmen starting up their own no-budget TV show. It was fun and charming and rather new. And then they hinted at the specter of selling out or the fame going their heads and whatnot, but then that turned out to be alien invasion plot.

I didn't like that bit. I liked the quiet story of tiny people telling big stories with cardboard and duct tape. On the other hand, I've saved the world enough times already, thank you.

So the start was great, but for me the end kind of fell apart.

So new patch just came down the line this morning
    Features:
    - Steam Cloud activated;
    - “Choose Difficulty Level” added to Settings screen (Lowest Difficulty used during campaign is considered when giving achievements);
    - Updated Difficulty descriptions to better reflect the actual experience;

Gameplay:
    - "Interesting" difficulty Damage Multiplier increased from 0.9 to 1.1;
    - "Interesting" difficulty Kaiju Damage Multiplier increased from 0.8 to 1.1;
    - "Challenging" difficulty Kaiju Damage Multiplier increased from 1 to 1.25;
    - Zombie audience value decreased from 75 to 50;
    - Techie: Gadget Geek activates only once per turn;
    - Driver mode buff won't stack anymore;
    - Hard limit on Dodge 95%, hard limit on Critical 100%, hard limit on Counter 100%;
    - Mecha Hit Chance keeps dropping even after Combo 8;

Skills:
    - Rifle attack range decreased from 7 to 5;

Mecha Items:
    We had to rearrange a few skills from the Mecha Items to make the experience smoother for new players. We apologize in advance for the unexpected skill changes in your current Mecha loadout.
    - To-Hit chance passive bonuses on Mecha Arm items decreased by 20% across the board;
    - "Colored Box of Justice" now provides the "Super Shield" skill from level 2 onwards;
    - "Shield Shell" now provides a big passive Defense bonus instead of "Super Shield";
    - "True Striker" now provides the "Precision Strike" skill from level 2 onwards;
    - "Precise Puncher" now provides a big passive Hit Chance skill instead of "Precision Strike";

Bug Fixes:
    - Fixed Techie’s “Multishot” freezing the episode when attacking objects like mines, sprouts and portals;
    - Fixed a bug in the Counter attack probability;
    - Fixed a bug when counter attacking a counter attack where one of the characters would die in the sequence of attacks. This sometimes freezed the episode;
    - Fixed camera crew animation on Dead End map;
    - Fixed an issue where some Villain X single-target attacks were not Dodge-able;
    - Fixed an issue where Ironing Man`s attacks were not Dodge-able;
    - Fixed achievements: "Fully Decked Out", "Can We Afford This?" and "Going Fancy". (These will work retroactively as you open the Upgrade Window);
    - Fixed achievements: "With All My Heart" and "Don't Ever Forget". (These will work retroactively as you load a game that completed any episode on Season 5 on the correct story paths;
    - Fixed "Fan Favorite"'s description and achievement;
    - Fix on Mecha Combo Zoom;
    - Fixed helmet sprite on lead being wrong when equipping Crafted Spears;
    - Fixed on several Localization issues;

Kind of salty that I had to build an entirely new Mech arm to keep my setup, but on the bright side it fixed the bug I had where my Lead was stuck with a certain helmet graphic which ruined my uniform look.

"Normal" mode got a bit harder, Hard got a bit harder in a very specific way, and maybe the biggest one is that Techie's Gadget Geek only fires once per turn. That's definitely going to affect how I set up my Techie, I was using as many free action skills as possible so I could cycle my skills basically every turn.

OH HEY AWESOME UNDOCUMENTED CHANGE

THE GAME FREEZES AT THE VERY LAST PART OF THE FINAL EPISODE

THAT SURE WAS A GOOD USE OF AN HOUR

Ah, the Multishot bug with mines was what killed my latest mission. Glad they got to that, because doing that episode without Multishot would be kinda dire.

I'm going with an all-girl squad called Team Tiamat (in retrospect, I probably should've gone with Fox Force Five, but it didn't occur to me at the time).
    I got a good chuckle out of the e-mail asking what the show's OTP was.
    I told 'em that it was Danai and Scar.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    So, anyone else finally pull the trigger on this one out of "buy it before it gets taken down" fear concern?

So, anyone else finally pull the trigger on this one out of "buy it before it gets taken down" fear concern?

Pretty sure it's safe in the United States. We have fairly strong parody protections.

• chris: waffle kingchris: waffle king whiskey-fueled crank Osaka's OverbellyRegistered User regular

Yeah, i imagine y'all are safe enough with it on your stores, but...don't buy it out of fear, anyways. Buy it 'cause it's a low-stress pile of awesome Disgaea Lite (with half the calories and none of the grind (that i can see so far)). Really, it's a lot of simple fun.

steam_sig.png
    時計仕掛けの子の丸々太った磁器の顔に表情は無いが、転がりながら、口がカチッと開閉して、腕が上下に動い た。

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
    Wanna watch a gaijin butcher monsters and the Japanese Language all at once? Sure you do, and now you can!
    Hotfix time!

Patch v1.051
    - Fixed a bug that occasionally caused Tutorial Episode not to finish animation.
    - Fixed a bug on the "We Can Do This" Mecha power for the last episode.
    - Fixed Weapon Teamwork attack against objects, like Door.

Guess I'll see about finishing off that final mission today

Finished this the other day. Ending Stuff
    When I got to the part where it said there was multiple endings, it said I got the "Moonstone and Citrine" ending, which is apparently when you let Tammy join as the sixth ranger.

On Normal difficulty, the only time where I needed a rewind was when I was fighting Lord Gaga in the final episode and they started spamming bosses and minion portals like crazy. Then, after the rewind, he never summoned the boss rush at all and it was totally cake (especially since they didn't reset my Director's Instructions progress).

I liked Villain X's schtick of only using any given weapon once before discarding it. That's a pretty awesome gimmick for a supreme overlord to have, but I kinda wanted to be able to pick up the dropped weapons!

RE: "It's all real." I don't think that it is. It's a game about a show about the cast of a sentai show who embraces their destiny to save the world. The "actors" all use their actor names instead of their character names, even when they're recording their lines. There's even a bit at the end where it asks "was it all real, or was it part of the show?"

It was all part of the show, otherwise your "Episode Delay" mechanic wouldn't work in the final battles, after Shit Has Gotten Real.

• chris: waffle kingchris: waffle king whiskey-fueled crank Osaka's OverbellyRegistered User regular
    Holy crow, season 6.

Now, i was warned that there would be a difficulty spike, but i wasnae quite expecting what i got...didn't even get through the first scene before tossing in the towel. Re-equipped to have more in Skill Regen, which didn't really do wonders for my Attack and Health, but i'm hoping the easier access to skills will help the next time i give it a go tomorrow morning.

Still...yeesh.

steam_sig.png
    時計仕掛けの子の丸々太った磁器の顔に表情は無いが、転がりながら、口がカチッと開閉して、腕が上下に動い た。

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
    Wanna watch a gaijin butcher monsters and the Japanese Language all at once? Sure you do, and now you can!
    Holy crow, season 6.

Now, i was warned that there would be a difficulty spike, but i wasnae quite expecting what i got...didn't even get through the first scene before tossing in the towel. Re-equipped to have more in Skill Regen, which didn't really do wonders for my Attack and Health, but i'm hoping the easier access to skills will help the next time i give it a go tomorrow morning.

Still...yeesh.

It was astonishingly easier after the rewind, for whatever reason.