As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pax Prime veterans, what would you do differently this year?

• Hoboking006Hoboking006 Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Lazorz wrote: »
    Malgaras wrote: »
    • Do some community events if you can. PAX has grown from a few days to a whole week for me. Some of my favorite parts occur before PAX starts and after PAX ends. Now the fact of the matter is people have limited time, but if you are going to be up in Seattle even Thursday night, there are tons of events going on to check out. Plus there are parties and such going on all during PAX too, although that becomes a tougher call at least for me.
    This!

So, a story. Last year I went to PAX Dev for the first time. My friend and I showed up Tuesday morning the week of PAX and ended up staying until Monday night after everything had closed. And man, being in Seattle for a week was an incredible experience! The entire trip felt like a week-long PAX (which with Dev and Prime being a total of 6 days, it kinda sorta was), which was so, so cool. And you don't have to go to Dev to experience a longer PAX than just the four days, because anytime that week you can meet other PAX-goers who are willing to hang out, talk, play games, etc., because the whole reason we all came to Seattle was to hang out and have an awesome time!

So my point is, going to community events is a great way to get more "PAX" out of your trip and feel like your PAX was week-long rather than just four days. My favorite community event by far is the Pre-PAX Board Game Night, which happens pretty much all Thursday evening until late, late at night. It's great to just sit down and play some games with random people that you instantly feel connected to. I've always felt that it gave me a taste of PAX before the show even started, because just being in a giant room with a bunch of tabletop games going on is pretty much the PAX experience, just not in the convention center. I've also heard the Pokecrawl, Triwizard Tournament, and other bar crawls are a blast.

So the moral of the story to all you first timers or vets looking to make changes is: don't be afraid to go to community events! They're really an awesome time. Trust me, if you're looking for something new to experience, just pick one and go!

While I can't go to the pre and post pax events due to group budget/time constraints, I do wanna give a shout out to buttoneers. If your new to the pax game or returning, and you want to show off your artistic flair, join the button trading events.(i'm pretty sure it's happening again this year)

http://www.buttoneering.org/

Hoboking006 on
    May PAX be upon you.
  • DashDDashD Dread Pirate Chef Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    • I'm going to go against the grain on this one, but waiting in lines can actually be pretty nice. The trick is simple, bring games. Honestly, my first PAX was kinda a blur, but one of the things I remember most fondly doesn't sound lime much, but it was meeting some really cool folks in the line for the keynote, and some really fun games of Munchkin. Phone numbers were exchanged, and more games were had all throughout the weekend, and it was just a lot of fun.

I completely agree with this. This will be my 8th PAX and I basically stopped going with groups after #3. Instead I bring quick games for lines, take the time to do what I want on my own schedule (this alone made PAX so much more enjoyable), and get to know the people around me. I have made some great line-friends and friends in general. Some I stay in touch with, some are only for the time we spend in line together, but everyone has a story and everyone has experiences to share. Share yours.

Bring a 3DS, but don't spend all your time staring at a screen. We all do plenty of that when we're not at PAX.

"Brilliant! Oh wait, if we were meant to fly, we would have been born with little bags of nuts."
    PAX_Badge_Sig.png
  • YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    DashD wrote: »
    Bring a 3DS, but don't spend all your time staring at a screen. We all do plenty of that when we're not at PAX.
    This. Despite the "infinite" Streetpasses, the amount you can actually process at PAX is surprisingly finite. Even if all you were doing is Find Mii and the puzzle pieces, from scratch you probably can't finish in 1 PAX. Add in the new games and the progress you can make plummets. So, just play what is FUN, not what you feel compelled to complete.

• S2000GanS2000Gan Spartan-Rogue Class, Red Squad Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Avoid AAA booths,
    Have gotten a Saturday Badge,
    Spend more time in BYOC (although thanks to not having a sat badge i dont think ill be doing BYOC again this year :( )

IVe been doing this for years now, but ill remind people now, BRING a WATER bottle or camel pack of WATER!

S2000Gan on
    hnx2ZrU.jpg6jYGFlE.png
  • PerestroikaPerestroika Registered User regular
    2015 will be my 5th PAX, and my first one being 21.

EVERYTHING will be different.

It's just me, a block of dirt, and a cavern full of danger.
    PAX Prime Attendee: '10, '12, '13, '14
    Prime 2015 Cosplay: Hilda, Female Sunset City Hero, Squirtle Squad url="http://www.facebook.com/steleus"]X[/url
    edited May 2015
    • I'm going to go against the grain on this one, but waiting in lines can actually be pretty nice. The trick is simple, bring games. Honestly, my first PAX was kinda a blur, but one of the things I remember most fondly doesn't sound lime much, but it was meeting some really cool folks in the line for the keynote, and some really fun games of Munchkin. Phone numbers were exchanged, and more games were had all throughout the weekend, and it was just a lot of fun.

I actually learned to play MTG from two guys when I was in line for the expo hall back at PAX prime 2012 and I've been playing ever since. I can definitely second this opinion.

Hoboking006 on
    May PAX be upon you.
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Skip everything in the main hall. It's all recorded for later and seeing anything there live as opposed to recorded is not different at all. The time you have to spend waiting is better spent somewhere else.

Just my opinion.
    I agreed to the post, but I'll still put D&D as a personal exception. Some things you just want to see live, to "be there" when it happened. I've seen enough of the Make-a-strip and other things that I can just watch a video of it from now on, but Aquisition's Inc still has that magic for me.
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    This is my seventh year doing this so..uh...drink even more?
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    Skip the AAA games on the expo floor. The lines are very long, most of them are coming out pretty soon, and you've already heard of all of them. Indie games have much shorter waits and there will be many you've never heard of that are awesome.

ThisThisThisThisThisThisThisThisThisThis

Save the AAA stuff for the last day when the expo hall clears out more and the lines get short. Alternatively, try and get into PAX early and hit the big stuff first when the lines are just forming. I usually do the last day thing because getting up early means getting up with a hangover, usually. And yeah, the indie booths are ridiculously fun and full of stuff you've never heard of.
    I have to go early and wait in lines. Yes, I skip AAA games I'll be playing in a week/month anyway, but sometimes there's swag I realllllly want to get so I go for that. I'm trying (very hard) to not card about ALL THE SWAG and only going for what I really want and will cherish, but it's tougher for me than when I gave up on the main hall panels as mentioned above.

Each year I try to do less PAX and more bonding with the online friends I see once a year.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • jukkakhanjukkakhan Registered User regular
    I'm doing a condensed PAX this year, so I'm trying to streamline things a little more and be a little focused on what I want to see/do. Not as much wandering, which I love doing. If they do main panel streaming again, I will cut those out of my schedule and watch them later unless if there's a real compelling reason to be there live.

If autographs are in the Paramount again, -and- the person has a panel right before their autograph session, I'm going straight to the Paramount. I made that call on a whim last year for Sakaguchi and it was the right one. Line was long by the end of his panel, which was all the way over at the Benny. Bonus, they were streaming said panel at the Paramount.

PimDtoK.png
  • wyndstarwyndstar West coast CanadaRegistered User regular
    This will be my second PAX!
    First lesson from last year... don't try to do it all! or at least plan a little better haha.
    I'd like to cosplay this time.. i think it'd be fun.
    the Triwizard was a blast but the 2 friends i brought with me were lightweights and i had to take them home 1/2 way through :( so this year they'll have to man up or not go.

PAX 2015: got tickets, woo hoo!
    PAX 2014: had a blast.. let's do it again!
  • jumbotojumboto Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Each year I've attended PAX I've learned something new to apply to the following year. PAX Prime 2014 was near perfect as I did most everything that's been mentioned so far. I even made sure to buy a 3DS before I went! The only element I missed out on last year that I will attempt to rectify this year will be the after parties. Rumor has it there are many shindigs, jaunts, and shenanigans to be had over the days proceeding and the weekend of PAX.

jumboto on
    boTdSSK.png
  • Foo_DogFoo_Dog Registered User regular
    best advice from me is: PAX is one of those games where it is impossible to get all the achievements in a single play through, so RELAX and enjoy it. I'm one of those folks who likes the people watching and the crush of humanity so the expo floor is fun. I try to have a swag/demo plan if there are particulars I want to see, so I know what I'm getting into and it's not overwhelming.

Bring snacks. Bring water. Some times you miss lunch and a cliff bar or some nuts and fruit can make the all the difference.

I try to always do something I haven't done before. Maybe it's panels, maybe I want to try and meet the artists in band land, last couple of years my goal was to get in on some pick-up indie RPGs.

This year, honestly, I'd kind of like to find some responsible drinking buddies and swap some after-hours war stories of being in the games industry.

• HingoHingo Minneapolis, MNRegistered User regular
    Sleep.

Pins for trade!
    2015 PAX Prime Omeganaut (I will forever hate Katamari)
  • BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    I hope to spend more time chatting with people and spend more time away from Info Booth. Info Booth are fabulous people, but they don't need me there and I just hang out because its comfortable.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • JKwonJKwon Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    I'm going to dedicate more of my time to viewing panels. Last year because of pinning, I was only able to make 1 panel and it made me sad

PAX Prime 2010 [x]
    PAX Prime 2011 [x]
    PAX Prime 2012 [x]
    PAX Prime 2013 [x]
    PAX Prime 2014 [x]
    PAX Prime 2015 [x]

https://pinnypals.com/pals/5Panel
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Beker wrote: »
    I hope to spend more time chatting with people and spend more time away from Info Booth. Info Booth are fabulous people, but they don't need me there and I just hang out because its comfortable.

So you want me to start hitting you if you spend too much time there? Can do!
    You might need to do the same for me

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    whypick1 wrote: »
    Beker wrote: »
    So you want me to start hitting you if you spend too much time there? Can do!
    You might need to do the same for me
    I can just hit you both if I see you there each time I pass by :bzz:

• KeroanKeroan Chicago, IllinoisRegistered User regular
    Not a prime veteran but as an east veteran, I want to meet all of the staff for once! I always don't want to be "that" fan that usurps all their time when I know they are extraordinarily busy in some cases so I really shy away from saying anything but hi... but then I don't get to interact with the awesome people. Hopefully I can get over that :P

• SanDogWepsSanDogWeps Limerick Monger San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Network. Mild-mannered Naval Officer by day, card game developer by night. I think I want to chat with fellow devs a lot more, try their games, see what works, talk with designers, artists, playtest a bit more than in previous years. Hand out a lot more buttons (OBTW - BUTTONEERS - SHOW YOUR WARES OFF MORE!!! BUY A VEST OR SOMETHING!). Work on a better elevator (escalator?) speech.

Oh - and wank about Fallout 4 rumors.

keyanEQ2_100x400.gif
  • jamsyarbotsjamsyarbots Wilmington, DERegistered User regular
    Keroan wrote: »
    Not a prime veteran but as an east veteran, I want to meet all of the staff for once! I always don't want to be "that" fan that usurps all their time when I know they are extraordinarily busy in some cases so I really shy away from saying anything but hi... but then I don't get to interact with the awesome people. Hopefully I can get over that :P

Last time I went I used the pinny arcade pins as a way to meet the staff. It was great to meet everybody and by collecting all their pins it was kind of like autograph collecting without the hassle of carrying a pen everywhere.

edited May 2015
    SanDogWeps wrote: »
    Network. Mild-mannered Naval Officer by day, card game developer by night. I think I want to chat with fellow devs a lot more, try their games, see what works, talk with designers, artists, playtest a bit more than in previous years. Hand out a lot more buttons (OBTW - BUTTONEERS - SHOW YOUR WARES OFF MORE!!! BUY A VEST OR SOMETHING!). Work on a better elevator (escalator?) speech.

Oh - and wank about Fallout 4 rumors.

Last year I wore a shirt to go with my forum image button. I have a machine that can cut out drawings onto paper and simply spray painted it on.

This year though I have a pretty complicated button design my fiancee is drawing (a little noticed reference in Bioshock 2's something under the sea ARG), but if she gets it done in time I'll have a t shirt company print one for me to wear and advertise my button. Good suggestion!

Hoboking006 on
    May PAX be upon you.
  • KeroanKeroan Chicago, IllinoisRegistered User regular

Last time I went I used the pinny arcade pins as a way to meet the staff. It was great to meet everybody and by collecting all their pins it was kind of like autograph collecting without the hassle of carrying a pen everywhere.

Unfortunately they premiered the staff trading session at east 2014 and it was not nearly what it has become. No games, not a lot of chat. I wanted to get out of the way as fast as possible so other pin traders could get access to the tables. Perhaps there is such a thing as being too polite!

I'm jazzed for the games that I heard they play now for the pins. Much more opportunity to engage with staff, perhaps even with the mysterious new staffer I heard about on the podcast?

edited May 2015

Unfortunately they premiered the staff trading session at east 2014 and it was not nearly what it has become. No games, not a lot of chat. I wanted to get out of the way as fast as possible so other pin traders could get access to the tables. Perhaps there is such a thing as being too polite!

I'm jazzed for the games that I heard they play now for the pins. Much more opportunity to engage with staff, perhaps even with the mysterious new staffer I heard about on the podcast?

I see what you're saying. In 2013 I went to the staff trading session to pick up the last couple I hadn't gotten yet and everyone seemed really personable. Otherwise I tried to find them out in the wilderness of pax. It afforded a great opportunity to say hi and shoot the breeze for a quick second. No one seemed put off or in a rush at the time.

jamsyarbots on
  • HingoHingo Minneapolis, MNRegistered User regular

I see what you're saying. In 2013 I went to the staff trading session to pick up the last couple I hadn't gotten yet and everyone seemed really personable. Otherwise I tried to find them out in the wilderness of pax. It afforded a great opportunity to say hi and shoot the breeze for a quick second. No one seemed put off or in a rush at the time.

Playing Twitter's version of Marco Polo for Jamie's corgi pin was actually one of the most fun things I did at PAX.

Pins for trade!
    2015 PAX Prime Omeganaut (I will forever hate Katamari)
  • The_ReflectionThe_Reflection Registered User regular
    edited May 2015

Keep an eye out for the sign ups for the annual Pub Crawl.
    coming soon.

The_Reflection on
  • ScunosiScunosi WashingtonRegistered User regular
    I think this is going to be my 5th PAX Prime, never done any of the auxiliary ones.

Stuff I'll continue doing:
    -bringing a "medic" bag. An entire bag of Halls Citrus lozenges (in case of sickness and also to prevent it), personal hand sanitizer (though honestly I don't use it much), band-aids (walking on blisters is the worst!), feminine toiletries, snacks, basics.
    -containers for schwag. We may not have a big bag the first day, but you'll usually be given one at a booth, or can use the swag bag once they go up. Getting a dedicated bag with more compartments may be worth it, but then again I may look into making costume-specific bags. Also, poster tube! And don't just get a tube that you have to carry by hand. Art stores selling tubes that come with straps so you can sling them over your shoulder, much less hassle to carry, and usually higher quality.
    -rushing the Expo hall. I'm not saying run, but if you know there's a AAA game you want to see, or there's some specific swag or Pin you'll want to collect, you've gotta get there first, and on the first day. Not everyone has this luxury, but I've always been with a group that loves getting up early to wait in the Queue room and considers it part of the experience. And once you get a good spot you can always take a quick snooze since it'll be a while 'til things open. At least you could, not certain where we'll be queuing this year so may not be possible any more.
    -cosplaying. Even if I just recycle some cosplays or fix them up, I love getting an excuse to use costumes I spent hours working on. I'm currently in the process of figuring out what I'll want to do this year. It can be nice having at least one off day where you don't cosplay though, a lot of cosplayers will hold off on the last day since it's a short day anyway.

Stuff I'll try to do more of:
    -panels. I didn't really do any my first few years, and went to a handful last year that I (mostly) enjoyed. There's a lot of cool people coming so there's bound to be someone you want to see. And even if you don't, getting into one that's not packed is a nice excuse to just sit down, maybe even take a little nap (I swear it was an accident). Plus the bigger panels can have really cool stuff previewed or given away.
    -parties. Either official stuff (my first year I got into the Deus Ex party, really cool) or fan stuff, I don't really care. I want to live a little more while I'm still young, and PAX is apparently a great time to do that.
    -spontaneity. I'm not sure what to call it, not really "line jumping" so much as "jumping in lines," but I want to do more of stopping and doing things when I noticed they're available. I'm willing to wait in long lines for stuff I'm really interested in, but I want to take advantage of the sheer amount of stuff to try by stopping at the smaller booths when I see they're less busy. Definitely a better use of my time then doing an endless loop around the Hall.

• jukkakhanjukkakhan Registered User regular
    Scunosi wrote: »
    I think this is going to be my 5th PAX Prime, never done any of the auxiliary ones.
    Also, poster tube! And don't just get a tube that you have to carry by hand. Art stores selling tubes that come with straps so you can sling them over your shoulder, much less hassle to carry, and usually higher quality.

This. I love posters, so last year I finally invested (a whole $10) in a plastic poster tube with a strap and it was perfect. The FedEx Office in the WSCC will have a few cardboard ones, but you can expect those to sell out very fast.

PimDtoK.png
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015

Keep an eye out for the sign ups for the annual Pub Crawl.
    coming soon.
    And the Pre-PAX Dinner which is highly recommended as a way to get some good food in before flooding your system with a few gallons of alcohol.

Also coming soon!

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • FenrisfangFenrisfang Edmonton, AB, CanadaRegistered User regular
    This year I want to try to be more social. I usually try to attend some of the community events, but end up being the shy chick in the corner. I plan on bringing some games so I can play with different people while I wait in line as a start. Bringing my pins too which always gives me an in to chat. While this is my third PAX, it is the first time my hubby and I are able to stay for the entire event as we don't have to be back home for Tuesday to get the kids to school.

I will be grabbing my Forum Badge (hopefully at the Pre-PAX Dinner) so if you see me, come say hello!

PAX Tickets: check!
    Hotel Booked: check!
    Sitter for the kids: check!
    Excitement level rising: check, check and triple check!
    Fenrisfang wrote: »
    This year I want to try to be more social. I usually try to attend some of the community events, but end up being the shy chick in the corner. I plan on bringing some games so I can play with different people while I wait in line as a start. Bringing my pins too which always gives me an in to chat. While this is my third PAX, it is the first time my hubby and I are able to stay for the entire event as we don't have to be back home for Tuesday to get the kids to school.

I will be grabbing my Forum Badge (hopefully at the Pre-PAX Dinner) so if you see me, come say hello!

Definitely come to the Pre-Pax Boardgame night if you want to have a good time and make new friends. I honestly can't recommend it enough as an ice-breaker and all around good time!

• KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    #1 most exciting piece of new PAX gear - folding tripod stool for lines.

Where do people get these?

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    Khraul wrote: »

You can get them in the camping section of sporting equipment stores. I've also found them at bug box retailers like Walmart.

May PAX be upon you.
  • nixternixter roughly Portland, ORRegistered User regular

Also at Amazon. The following is not a tripod, but I found it fit in my backpack better: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004P33I70/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

aka Avidguru from Twitter and elsewhere

O1vSeKm.png
    Excellent!.... This is going to be a mandatory purchase... Better shoes also. The first two days of pax last year in flip flops destroyed my feet and I was SUPER envious of guys I saw with little stools to park it on in lines.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    Excellent!.... This is going to be a mandatory purchase... Better shoes also. The first two days of pax last year in flip flops destroyed my feet and I was SUPER envious of guys I saw with little stools to park it on in lines.

Ouch. Yeah, flip flops will kill you. You'll want to get shoes with good support. No Chucks!! If you want a shoe similar to Converse, get PF Flyers. They have arch support. Otherwise, stick to good walking shoes.

"Brilliant! Oh wait, if we were meant to fly, we would have been born with little bags of nuts."
    PAX_Badge_Sig.png
  • havok978havok978 Baltimore, MdRegistered User regular

Ouch. Yeah, flip flops will kill you. You'll want to get shoes with good support. No Chucks!! If you want a shoe similar to Converse, get PF Flyers. They have arch support. Otherwise, stick to good walking shoes.

So much this. I rocked the Chucks and occasional slides for a while and my feet and legs would be absolutely dead at the end of the day. I followed this recommendation and I've never gone back. Still might get one of these stools though as standing for long periods tends to kill my back as well.

XyqJPIp.png
    What what?! I've never heard of these shoes... any style in particular or are they all good?

I'd love to have some chuck style shoes that don't destroy my back and legs after a couple days of walking around. (God I sound like an old man)

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    What what?! I've never heard of these shoes... any style in particular or are they all good?

I'd love to have some chuck style shoes that don't destroy my back and legs after a couple days of walking around. (God I sound like an old man)

They're canvas sneakers, like converse, but they actually have an in-sole and arch support. I have both low and high top, and like them equally well.

PAX_Badge_Sig.png

They're canvas sneakers, like converse, but they actually have an in-sole and arch support. I have both low and high top, and like them equally well.

Well I know what's next on my Pax shopping list after a stool... Thanks for the tip ;-)

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • IncreaseBlueIncreaseBlue Registered User regular

They also help you run faster and jump higher, which comes in handy when you're being chased by a beast of a dog. (old reference, no regrets!)

• peetsnackpeetsnack Team Green Poké Assist, Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, Head Girl House Hufflepuff The Cleave LandsRegistered User regular
    haa. last pax was the first pax i didnt spend in flip flops. I guess it just all depends on your feet.

7B14287.png