As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

VROOOM PSH VRROOOOOM [Car thread]

• Bear is DrivingBear is Driving Registered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »
    hmmmmm

nissan 370z base model sticker price is now $30,000 CDN. I swear it used to be like, ten thousand more.

Its basically the same price, maybe a little more, that I paid for my Scion FRS.

I'm not buying a new car or getting rid of my FRS. But it definitely piques my interest a little.

I'm pretty sure it used to be, yeah.

I was in a Nissan dealership in January and they had a Touring Sport Coupe in the showroom and were advertising it based on "super cheap" bi-weekly payments for only 8 years!

I suspect, maybe, that there's not that great of a market for new 370Zs in Canada. Or the market that does exist is still waiting to finish high school (where are the flippant tags? I'm just poking fun).

Or it might have been the NISMO now that I think of it.

It just struck me as very strange and irresponsible to try and get someone to buy a car like that and finance it over 8 goddamn years.

edited May 2015
    Oh God, I shouldn't have looked up people's experiences driving FRS/BRZ/370Z in the winter. Knowing that so many of them don't change their tires makes me never want to go on the road in winter again.

Bear is Driving on
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    hmmmmm

nissan 370z base model sticker price is now $30,000 CDN. I swear it used to be like, ten thousand more.

Its basically the same price, maybe a little more, that I paid for my Scion FRS.

I'm not buying a new car or getting rid of my FRS. But it definitely piques my interest a little.

Yeah they used to be almost $70k in Australialand, then after the BRZ/FRS came out they dropped down to about $60k. At the moment they're back up to around $64k.

• Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Aussie car prices make me cry.

Also I drove my FRS all winter long. I have decent winter tires. Only once did I have to submit and drive my dads truck to work - when there was about 15 inches of unplowed snow on the roads.

Depending on where in Canada you actually are, it definitely might only be a "summer" car.

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i am trying to run out the clock on my current car loan so I can step up to a harder sportscar. i tried shopping the 40-50k range and there's just nothing. The closest thing is the M235 but there are a couple of aspects of it that I don't like. The 4C is supposed to be 55k but the "regular ones" haven't hit the US yet and I don't know what the dealer markup will be like.

so I am just biding my time and waiting until I can start doing some legit car shopping. Probably another year. The candidates are

M4
    Cayman S
    F-Type S coupe (the V6, can't really afford the V8)

• SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Sat in an M4 for the first time yesterday. It was gorgeous except it's in that metallic piss color that they're pushing this generation. Something like 60% of the M4s near me are in that color. Baffling.

They also had an M6 convertible and an i8 in there as well. My wife's on board with the i8 since it's a hybrid.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Car overheated.
    Car goes to shop.
    Shop says "it's your radiator, and you'll need a new fuel filter too. That'll be $1500"
    I say "Nay, nay..give it to me and I shall fix it myself."
    $250 later and a saturday later, it is fixed.
    Car is still throwing a check engine light.
    Silly car.
    Shop says, "uh, that code means there is antifreeze in the engine. When it overheated it must have cracked the block. We can fix it, but it'll be 5-7k."
    I say, "FUCK"

Fin.

This has been a DrZiplock Joint.

...and now I'm in NYC nowhere near my car unable to ascertain the whole of the situation, but I can't really sell a car with a cracked engine block. So I have an 04 WRX with 146k miles that is on its way to becoming a paperweight.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    When you get back spend $15 on an OBDII reader and check the code yourself and see what it says. That shop already sounds shady quoting $1500 for a radiator and fuel filter. I would not trust them to read that code right.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    Yeah- I've had an ODB reader in my car forever. It comes in handy and reduces anxiety- "Oh bank 1 is running a little lean? Whatever, I'll clear the code and it probably won't come back."

If it's something more serious then you can put thought into it, but at least you know what you're dealing with. A cheap reader + a smartphone for googling and you're good to go.

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Also, an overheat most likely wouldn't crack your block. Its possible that it cracked a head or compromised a head gasket. That could lead to coolant in the oil, if that ends up being the case.

I mean, it's possible the block cracked, but it's much less likely than a head.

jgeis on

Also I drove my FRS all winter long. I have decent winter tires. Only once did I have to submit and drive my dads truck to work - when there was about 15 inches of unplowed snow on the roads.

Depending on where in Canada you actually are, it definitely might only be a "summer" car.

Oh yeah, with winters I'm sure it's fine.

The most common question I get about the speed3 is how it drives in winter. With proper tires it drives perfectly fine.

But with summer tires in sub-zero weather you can't even breath on the throttle without the traction control going insane. I got caught in a late October snow storm once before I had my tires changed and could barely accelerate at all. It was easily the most terrifying drive of my life.

I get a bit excited when I hear people saying they don't need winter tires.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    Car overheated.
    Car goes to shop.
    Shop says "it's your radiator, and you'll need a new fuel filter too. That'll be $1500"
    I say "Nay, nay..give it to me and I shall fix it myself."
    $250 later and a saturday later, it is fixed.
    Car is still throwing a check engine light.
    Silly car.
    Shop says, "uh, that code means there is antifreeze in the engine. When it overheated it must have cracked the block. We can fix it, but it'll be 5-7k."
    I say, "FUCK"

Fin.

This has been a DrZiplock Joint.

...and now I'm in NYC nowhere near my car unable to ascertain the whole of the situation, but I can't really sell a car with a cracked engine block. So I have an 04 WRX with 146k miles that is on its way to becoming a paperweight.

Nooooope.

Cracked the block? I highly doubt that. Maybe, if you're unlucky, a warped head. More likely a busted head gasket.

$5-7k my left motherfucking testicle, tell that dealer to go fuck themselves. Get an OBDII code reader, see what the code actually is. If it is a thing you are not sure of repairing yourself, take your car to a local garage. Dealerships are dirty fucking thieves, and I say this as a technician that has worked at multiple dealerships.

i like my dealership but I've also never had a serious mechanical problem ever

• SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Well, there's also the fact that the shop didn't bother to mention this supposed doomsday code the first time he took it in.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
    webguy20 wrote: »
    When you get back spend $15 on an OBDII reader and check the code yourself and see what it says. That shop already sounds shady quoting $1500 for a radiator and fuel filter. I would not trust them to read that code right.

Radiators cost $Texas these days. And it's bullshit! You can often buy an all-aluminium aftermarket radiator of much higher quality than the stock nippondenso unit for the same price or less, and they bolt straight in.

• intropintrop Registered User regular
    Also, there doesn't appear to be any diagnostic code, even among the Subaru proprietary extensions, that would even remotely indicate "antifreeze in the engine." There are a lot of codes that a cracked block might cause, but all of them have much, much simpler first explanations. The way you'd determine if coolant got in the oil would be the old-fashioned way, by visual or chemical inspection of oil and/or coolant. And even *then*, you'd assume (as chrishallet83 points out) something much simpler: a blown head gasket. So you'd test for the simple(r) things like that, *then* you'd come up with a plan.

Fuck that shop: they're either incompetent idiots or trying to screw you.

Steam ID: highentropy
    Picking up the new car in two hours. Excited.

You and me both, brother. You and me both.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

Radiators cost $Texas these days. And it's bullshit! You can often buy an all-aluminium aftermarket radiator of much higher quality than the stock nippondenso unit for the same price or less, and they bolt straight in.

I've never had a shop do a radiator, I've always done them myself for that very reason. For my Cherokee it took me longer to remove the trim than it did to actually change the radiator.

Good to know they charge $texas.

Ohhh I got a good dealership story though! Took the Hyundai in to get serviced at the dealership, and sometime in the last few weeks a little chrome trim bit has fallen off under one of the windows. It appears to have either clipped in to the plastic or was attached with adhesive. Either way I figure, dirt cheap fix, get a new one. NOPE. $200 for an all new window and frame if I want that chrome bit back.

Bullshit says I. I bet I can find that piece online or at a junkyard for significantly less.

ctvjd92d59vf.jpg

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    My wife's Hyundai Entourage is the worst car for blowing through headlights. I'm changing a bulb every couple of months and now they are both out.

Only the low beams, never the high beams.

My wife's Hyundai Entourage is the worst car for blowing through headlights. I'm changing a bulb every couple of months and now they are both out.

Only the low beams, never the high beams.

That ain't right. Do you have a multimeter?

an overvolt to the headlights is probably the culprit

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    No, I should get one though.

Jasconius wrote: »
    an overvolt to the headlights is probably the culprit

Or a short to earth.

edited May 2015
    Are you touching the bulbs with bare fingers or with gloves? I've always been told, and had first hand experience that the oils on your fingers will create hot spots on the bulb, making it burn out much faster. I went through a couple pairs on my old mazda within 20000 miles before my local mechanic told me to wear gloves when I asked him about it.

You car folks with a lot more experience than me, please feel free to debunk if I'm wrong.

webguy20 on
    Are you touching the bulbs with bare fingers or with gloves? I've always been told, and had first hand experience that the oils on your fingers will create hot spots on the bulb, making it burn out much faster. I went through a couple pairs on my old mazda within 20000 miles before my local mechanic told me to wear gloves when I asked him about it.

You car folks with a lot more experience than me, please feel free to debunk if I'm wrong.

The high-beam halogen globes, yeah. Oils from your fingers trap heat and make hotspots which leads to the glass cracking.

Low beam though? Unless you have those 2-in-1 globes, shouldn't be a problem.

And no, I never touch the bulbs

The high-beam halogen globes, yeah. Oils from your fingers trap heat and make hotspots which leads to the glass cracking.

Low beam though? Unless you have those 2-in-1 globes, shouldn't be a problem.

Gotcha. My Mazda Proteges was a 2 in 1 bulb. Good to know! Headlight problems are the worst, because when they break is probably when you need them the most.

edited May 2015
    Hey, guys! You know what's awesome?

Torques

PpVn15k.jpg

Six on
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    @DrZiplock I can almost guarantee that all you have is a head gasket issue, which should only be 2k at most. Cracking a subaru block is really hard. Ditch your mechanic like yesterday.

• DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    Subaru dealer service departments are either amazing or infamously awful. There isn't a middle ground.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
    Decius wrote: »
    All dealer service departments are despicable, except for like three. Worldwide. Good luck finding one of the good ones.

• pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    One advantage of being into older cars is that they're always too old to bother with the service department at a dealership.

• DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Ok, I should clarify a few things...though I appreciate all the input.

The conversation was not quoted verbatim. There was also talk of it being a head gasket, but I was on a train pulling into Penn Station when we were talking and that is why I'd like to get back to VA to talk with them about it. Also, I never said it was a dealership, this is a mechanic shop a few blocks from where I live. I've been taking my cars there for the entirety of the time I've lived in VA. I do trust them.

However, because of the neighborhood in which I live, their hourly rate is $165 an hour. And that explains why the radiator replacement was what it was...including parts. Also the price of any any other work. Welcome to DC.

I have an ODBII waiting for me at home so that I can check the code as well.

In the meantime, I'm preparing for the purchase of something new to me just in case.

DrZiplock wrote: »
    Ok, I should clarify a few things...though I appreciate all the input.

The conversation was not quoted verbatim. There was also talk of it being a head gasket, but I was on a train pulling into Penn Station when we were talking and that is why I'd like to get back to VA to talk with them about it. Also, I never said it was a dealership, this is a mechanic shop a few blocks from where I live. I've been taking my cars there for the entirety of the time I've lived in VA. I do trust them.

However, because of the neighborhood in which I live, their hourly rate is $165 an hour. And that explains why the radiator replacement was what it was...including parts. Also the price of any any other work. Welcome to DC.

I have an ODBII waiting for me at home so that I can check the code as well.

In the meantime, I'm preparing for the purchase of something new to me just in case.

$165/hour?

Isn't that about $100/hour more than most garages over there? Shit, that's a high rate here in Australia, where dealership techs get paid $35-40/hour...

• mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    Shit, for $165/hour I will fly out to DC this weekend and come fix it.

DC is turning into spinoff of San Francisco in terms of insanely high cost of living

• KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    I had a 911 GTS come into my station this morning. I'm about to blasphem, I do not like how most Porsches sound. 911 most of all. Where my station is placed, there is a light and a long stretch of road with nothing that might slow people down. There is a Porsche that likes to launch there and it just sounds like clatter.

Krieghund wrote: »
    I had a 911 GTS come into my station this morning. I'm about to blasphem, I do not like how most Porsches sound. 911 most of all. Where my station is placed, there is a light and a long stretch of road with nothing that might slow people down. There is a Porsche that likes to launch there and it just sounds like clatter.

you and me

we must join forces. the 911 is a bad sound

This discussion has been closed.