As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Is it dickish to ignore a baby?

Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better.Registered User regular
edited May 2015 in Social Entropy++
So I honestly Don't care for babies. It isn't that I find them icky or something those lines, instead I just don't go out of my way to act 'baby crazy' whenever somebody whips out a baby. As far as I'm concern it just isn't my problem.

A couple of days ago somebody brought out a baby and everyone does the whole 'oh wow a baby' thing. I was indifferent so I just on my phone browsing the net. Next thing I know it that baby came in my general direction and everyone was like 'Oh, the baby wants your attention!' and I didn't know what to do. I honestly don't know what to do with babies, so I just patted its head and went back to my phone. Now I'm getting questions about 'Why don't you like babies?'. I give them the honest answers, 'I don't hate babies or anything. I just don't go out of my way for them. As far as I'm concerned, it's another person problem'.

I know that my response isn't the most tactful thing to say, but is it a dickish stance to have?

Casually Hardcore on

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    In your defense, the baby was being kind of a dick.

Real answer: No there is nothing inherently wrong with not caring about someone else's baby. However, a lack of tact in this regard is likely to damage your relationship with that person.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    that baby will remember this insult
    once the baby is old enough to understand concepts like being slighted, you will rue this day

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    GoldenSeducerGoldenSeducer AAAAAUGH!! Registered User regular
    No, it's not dickish. Speaking as the mother of a baby, a baby only really wants its mother's attention. If mother is not around, it wants the attention of whomever will feed it.

Really, it's more the parent saying, "why are you not acknowledging my child, of whom I am most proud of and is super cute?!"

Personally, I will not actively show off the baby until someone else comments on her. At that point, the door has been opened for me to gush about her adorable exploits.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    It's not that I don't like your baby, ma'am.

It's just that I don't want to risk breaking your baby through complete and utter ignorance of how to handle a baby, ma'am.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Babies are frickin cute as hell

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    So I honestly give care for babies. It isn't that I find them icky or something those lines, instead I just go out of my way to act 'baby crazy' whenever somebody whips out a baby. As far as I'm concern it just isn't my problem.

These are some really difficult sentences to parse. You seem to be saying the opposite of what you mean.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    I think there are some negatives missing from the sentence

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    I feel like I've stumbled onto yahoo answers

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Maybe if you were in a public situations like that you shouldn't be on your phone and maybe talk to your friends.

During the conversation you could mention that you don't care too much about babies.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    I would never let anybody else hold my baby, had I a baby, what if they dropped them

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    Speaking as a former baby, babies are terrible

This discussion has been closed.