As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GW2] Heart of Thorns - first expansion announced! Release date betting pool started!

• BilliardballBilliardball Registered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »
    -Loki- wrote: »
    No portal for me, but I got a lot of T6 mats toward my Legendary, AND a lot of gold!

I'm not even sure where I'd be if I started attempting to get a legendary.

It's a lot of grind, but not hard. You just need to get organised, and tackle the bits one by one.

I do know which legendary I want for my engineer, but he's also the one with the spinal blade backpack that is in Advanced stage.

Well then, I guess what you really want to do is sell any T6 mats and cores/lodestones you have to buy the sprockets to MF the blade shards you need, along with the Watchwork Mechanism. I believe about at full stack worth of T6 mats (more if it's mostly Powerful Venom, less if it's Powerful Blood/Ectos) would give you all the gold you need to buy the sprockets you need to make everything you need for the Tempered backpiece that you apparently need to try and make it this long after S1's end.

Shit dude, I'll happily just give you the sprockets and a Mechanism, I don't need 'em. What's your in-game name again?

ringswraith.8760

And thank you!

I am a little confused on the upgrade step to take, though. I heard there's one to color, then one to infuse, and a third one...

Also, I play GW2 pretty casually, so I'm sorry that I didn't finish my spinal blades when I was supposed to.

The third one is to both colour and infuse it in one step, which works out a lot cheaper than doing one then the other.

Switch: SW-7948-4390-2014 / 3DS: 0688-5244-6057 / FF14: Salus Claro
  • ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    No portal for me, but I got a lot of T6 mats toward my Legendary, AND a lot of gold!

It's a lot of grind, but not hard. You just need to get organised, and tackle the bits one by one.

I do know which legendary I want for my engineer, but he's also the one with the spinal blade backpack that is in Advanced stage.

Well then, I guess what you really want to do is sell any T6 mats and cores/lodestones you have to buy the sprockets to MF the blade shards you need, along with the Watchwork Mechanism. I believe about at full stack worth of T6 mats (more if it's mostly Powerful Venom, less if it's Powerful Blood/Ectos) would give you all the gold you need to buy the sprockets you need to make everything you need for the Tempered backpiece that you apparently need to try and make it this long after S1's end.

Shit dude, I'll happily just give you the sprockets and a Mechanism, I don't need 'em. What's your in-game name again?

ringswraith.8760

And thank you!

I am a little confused on the upgrade step to take, though. I heard there's one to color, then one to infuse, and a third one...

Also, I play GW2 pretty casually, so I'm sorry that I didn't finish my spinal blades when I was supposed to.

The third one is to both colour and infuse it in one step, which works out a lot cheaper than doing one then the other.

Ah. So Tempered first, then the color + infuse step.

Which means I need a craft at 500. Gotta save gold...

• FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited May 2015

ringswraith.8760

And thank you!

Leatherworking is the best choice for the Gift of Blades you need, Elonian is soo cheap, especially compared to Damask.

Gonna need all that money to buy the color cores anyway.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png

ringswraith.8760

And thank you!

Leatherworking is the best choice for the Gift of Blades you need, Elonian is soo cheap, especially compared to Damask.

Gonna need all that money to buy the color cores anyway.

Yep, my engi's got leatherworking and cooking at 400. Website says 400-500 leather will cost ~50g so saving up for that.

• Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular

ringswraith.8760

And thank you!

Ah, crap. I just realized that I'd sold most of my sprockets & mechanisms recently to pay for my damn Legendary x_X

Whatever, I will INEVITABLY get more just from dicking around in the world and mining; they're yours when I have them.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
    Much appreciated, @Lucid_Seraph !

It's not like I can make the thing tonight, anyhoo. Still need to level my leatherworking, get the mats, oh- and do fractals.

I suck at fractals.

Then another 120g or so to buy the core things... Yeah.

• naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    Sent over mine, @ringswraith - hope it helps!

By the way everybody I'm back in the states, but I'm out this weekend for a party. Not sure if @ky13 is going to be available - if not, then missions will likely not happen on Saturday evening.

I'm back after that though, and will be able to run missions again the Saturday following!

• FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    Much appreciated, @Lucid_Seraph !

It's not like I can make the thing tonight, anyhoo. Still need to level my leatherworking, get the mats, oh- and do fractals.

I suck at fractals.

Then another 120g or so to buy the core things... Yeah.

Where you at for crafting? I might have some insignias I can send your way for discoveries. I've got everything at 425 at least just from crafting common stuff... if you can take your time and do a solid bit of obsidian mats (bloodstone, dragonite, empyreal) that's a cheap way to get from 450-475. I'm doing mawdrey myself. Almost there.

I am at 400 exactly @Feldorn . I use that website for the guide.

• mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    Perrsun wrote: »
    Kylindra wrote: »
    So this got buried right away and I'm being told people haven't seen it, so here it is again!

Heart of Thorns Betting Pool

Two Pools:
    Official Release Date Pool (RETAIL release, not pre-order or other early access)
    Official Announcement Date Pool (First Announcement of Hard Release Date via an Official Channel)

The choices will be in terms of weeks (Week of May 24th, etc).

Rules:
    Cost: 1 gold per entry. You can enter up to 5 times (per pool) and you don't have to pick the same date for all your entries. So your buy-in can be anywhere between 1 and 10 gold, as you see fit.

Winnings will be distributed proportionately to everyone who picked the correct weeks according to the number of entries received.
    (Example: If Guildie McNoPants and five other people pick the winning week, but Guildie did 5 entries for that date and everyone else did 1 each, then Guildie would get half of the prize money and the rest would be split evenly between the other 5 people).

How to Enter:
    To enter, deposit your entry fee into the guild bank, and sign up on this spreadsheet here:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NQ9OwR3OG2filF3eVJJTmt3zdMkc25oEDPFoPHVHeXk/edit?usp=sharing

Instructions are on the sheet.

Contest is open to ALL members of NICE, including officers (no discretion regarding who wins, so no concerns about fairness).

Sign-ups start RIGHT NOW and will end two weeks from today. (Barring any premature announcing on ANet's part, of course!)

You can change your entries at any time during the next two weeks, but when they are closed, they are CLOSED and the sheet will be LOCKED. Also, all entry gold MUST be deposited by the closing date (Monday May 18th at 11:59PM EST) or you forfeit your choices and your right to enter.

Let the guessing begin!!

I just did this. I am posting about it to bump it

I'm in too and took both optimistic and pessimistic times :D

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • JoiryJoiry Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Hey folks. Been lurking a bit and reading up on the bits of info on the expansion.

Sooo, I'm guessing its best to spend all your skill points before HoT comes out, in fact, spend them on materials? There are a few skills (mostly racial elites) I never bothered to unlock, but it sounds like we'll get those all a character is 80 and has done enough skill challenges?

Joiry on
  • BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Er, I think it's the opposite actually. This is purely theoretical, but:

Don't spend any skill points for unlocking skills (or money for unlocking traits), because they'll transfer over to just being currency for the MF.
    When the new trait system hits, your level 80 characters will get 400 hero points for being 80, and then as many hero points as you've completed skill challenges in the world on that character. To unlock all the stuff you have unlocked at the moment should be 465 points (not including whatever happens to racial skills, if they stick around).

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
    I'm wondering how many points you'll start with if you did map completion...

edited May 2015
    Bethryn wrote: »
    Er, I think it's the opposite actually. This is purely theoretical, but:

Don't spend any skill points for unlocking skills (or money for unlocking traits), because they'll transfer over to just being currency for the MF.
    When the new trait system hits, your level 80 characters will get 400 hero points for being 80, and then as many hero points as you've completed skill challenges in the world on that character. To unlock all the stuff you have unlocked at the moment should be 465 points (not including whatever happens to racial skills, if they stick around).

Um, that's what I meant. Spend them on materials (like Augur stones) and don't bother to spend them on any skills you haven't unlocked.

edit - unless whatever conversion (if they reveal it) is better, but I suspect, it being Anet, it'll be a random conversion...

Joiry on
    edited May 2015
    What about using skill point scrolls? Should I hang on to those or use them up?

Also, thank you everyone who sent me sprockets and things! Really, really appreciate it. /bow

Do people still run fractals, btw? Looks like I need stuff there for an item for the backpack.

ringswraith on
    edited May 2015
    What about using skill point scrolls? Should I hang on to those or use them up?

Also, thank you everyone who sent me sprockets and things! Really, really appreciate it. /bow

Do people still run fractals, btw? Looks like I need stuff there for an item for the backpack.

Only if you want to infuse it IIRC (the Vision Crystal and Gift of Blades for basic Tempered can be made with mats found in open world PvE, and the power cores used to color it are bought from the TP) and right now the only reason to infuse equipment (which adds an agony resistance slot) is fractals.

If you get fractal-crazy at a future time, the recipe to infuse after coloring it it isn't *that* much more expensive than coloring & infusing at the same time: 10 crystalline dust and 4 bottles of Elonian wine that you have to spend coloring and an extra 10 crystalline when you decide to infuse.

If you still want to fractal though, I usually do some whenever the daily comes up, though I've been playing more GW1 than GW2 for the past week or two.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Question about fractals - I haven't done any. I've noticed that ascended stuff requires fractal participation. How hard is it to get into fractals as a new player?

Question about fractals - I haven't done any. I've noticed that ascended stuff requires fractal participation. How hard is it to get into fractals as a new player?

Your first fractal experience is dependent on two things:

- Scale. Try NOT to attempt a fractal scale of higher than 10, if you're not comfortable. You can manage higher, but it's very painful for the uninitiated, especially for the boss fractals.

- Your group. Fractals can go pretty fast when everyone knows what's going on, and can take hours otherwise. Be sure you can tolerate the folks you're with for either span of time, and if it's a PUG, be ready to pull new folks in.

Try to start at a low Fractal scale, possibly either with a group of friends who are also new, some folks from guild since we's all NICE, or a group that's looking to run newbies through fractals - in a pinch, just be sure you're not jumping into a "WARRIOR ONLY 50kAP zerk armor ping gear before join" group.

• xgalaxyxgalaxy Registered User regular
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    I don't get why they want to change tomes. Was there something wrong with them? I used Tome of Courage in WvW for a long time. Their reasoning seems to be at least partly "we're taking them away so we can bring them back later," which doesn't make sense to me.

i agree with you... not sure what was so wrong.... I think most dont run them

I was reading somewhere that they are wanting to remove all of the generic 'transformations'. There is speculation that Necromancer Plague and Lich transformations will be removed as well. The thought is that the generic 'transformations' will be coming back as part of elite specs that involve the 'kit' skill types - aka Engineer kits but for other classes.

GW2: Rancid Cupcake (Necro), Ranch Dressing (Ranger)
  • Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    I can get on board with that.

I think I've used the elite tome skills once or twice each.

I've never liked the transformations. I'd love it if like the norn elites became sort of buffs/skill modifiers. Bear's Strength or Wolf's cunning. Some of it standard buffs (might, quickness, etc as appropriate) and then skill augments. Weapon skill 1 has a x cooldown knockdown, skill 2 an x cooldown cripple, etc. Doesn't have to be for every skill.

I could see something like that for Plague Form, like it adds debuffs to some of your skills. Or like, several debuffs on a chance to trigger with any hit, each with various internal cooldowns.

• BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Bethryn wrote: »

that is amazing.

See. lookit

Quality
    REAPER.
    CHRONOMANCER

NOT Quality
    Dragonhunter

TBD
    Druid

Heres maybe my issue. there seems to be fundamental changes to the class vs enhancements. Gardian gets range. mes gets shield etc etc.

If anet had rolled out specs that SUIT the classes history(as in the way they play prior to specs) in the first wave it would have made a ton more sense. that may have required them adding new weapons which is so hard for them to do it must be impossible.

I don't want to play a ranger as a gard- in fact i have a ranger alt and she does a good job of it. Chances are as a necro you were not looking to play a warrior. Well now you can on your necro. And most folks have alts of other classes so what are we getting?

Maybe that's my disconnect. They are doing the roll out all wrong. Should have been first spec- builds on established classes and expectations of that class. Future specs = WILD changes and additions. it doesn't really make sense.

And also - looking at anets history- is there any faith at all that spec 2 will come out anytime soon?

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
    Dang. The chill on fear combined with the chill on blind in WvW could be fantastic. Plus the IM YELLING IM YELLING thing. Nice.

• Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    They really do not have too many other directions to go though. There is only so much you can do with these things and the combo already making a new class that needs to feel unique, it would be hard to make 8 more mini classes feel the same.

But new playstyles are new playstyles. I think the Reaper sounds incredible and now I think I would be 100% in love with necro.

it puts them firmly with the font line fighters dumping fears and chills all over.

its pretty bad ass.

• PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    And also - looking at anets history- is there any faith at all that spec 2 will come out anytime soon?

When you ask if it'll come soon, I'd answer no. But do I think we'll have to wait another 3 years before we get another spec? Also no.

I think we'll get another one in 1-1.5 years. Think living story season 1, but at the end of it instead of just getting a cutscene you get a new Spec. Or, slowly roll them out with chapters. At the end of chapter 1 Rox has to dig/smash the team out of a landslide. Boom, return of the Thumper Ranger. End of chapter 2 Braham is defending the team against some impossible attack and somehow does it; boom, mainhand shield.

It wouldn't even necessarily be a thing where they have to give everybody a new weapon every new spec, maybe something as simple as Taimi does some tinkering and invents and Engi Spec that further refines turret play over other things.

But yeah, that's my guess.

Slow windup on GS skills seems to be asking for interrupts.

I wonder if Thief specialization will be sniper/rifle (not stealth focused). Then I'd have a truly petless ranger and my ranger can be all like, but, but, I have a staff.

edited May 2015
    it puts them firmly with the font line fighters dumping fears and chills all over.

its pretty bad ass.

Slow attacks and no real access to stability != front line fighter.
    We'll see tomorrow if they address the stability concerns.

Thematically I love this elite reveal. Mechanically I'm left unimpressed.

xgalaxy on
    xgalaxy wrote: »

its pretty bad ass.

Lot of people hoping this is the profession that get the Defiance Bar GM trait.

steam_sig.png
    Joiry wrote: »
    Slow windup on GS skills seems to be asking for interrupts.

Glad someone else spotted that. Hope they're upping the ante on necro stability, or else this may be a tough one to use in PvP.

edited May 2015

its pretty bad ass.

If you are front line you are shoulder to shoulder with a ton of stability.

interrupts are an issue and maybe small scale Spvp ..... lack of stab will hurt. On the larger scale they will have stab from other friends.

Of course current meta is like well all the things.... so maybe this wont even see usage in wvw?

mojojoeo on
  • YnuuYnuu Registered User regular

its pretty bad ass.

Lot of people hoping this is the profession that get the Defiance Bar GM trait.

That would make a ridiculous amount of sense for this class. Thematically, at least. Slow but implacable hulking monster, comin' into town to ruin your day.

• StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    I'm accustomed to playing without stability, so not having it is a non-issue in my opinion. A melee-focused necro sounds amazing. When I did my necro test drive (admittedly two years ago) I enjoyed it thematically, but was disappointed by the lack of a real melee option. (My personal preference has always been for a front line fighter with lifetaps.) Just like the guardian expansion, I think this adds "more" to the class. I'm hopeful that it won't be like the chronomancer and be a "must have" for all necros, effectively destroying the old class for people that enjoy it.

26904.png
  • KylindraKylindra Registered User regular
    I don't get why they want to change tomes. Was there something wrong with them? I used Tome of Courage in WvW for a long time. Their reasoning seems to be at least partly "we're taking them away so we can bring them back later," which doesn't make sense to me.

i agree with you... not sure what was so wrong.... I think most dont run them

I was reading somewhere that they are wanting to remove all of the generic 'transformations'. There is speculation that Necromancer Plague and Lich transformations will be removed as well. The thought is that the generic 'transformations' will be coming back as part of elite specs that involve the 'kit' skill types - aka Engineer kits but for other classes.

WHAT.

No. No.

• KylindraKylindra Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    So far I'm really unimpressed with Reaper.

This isn't shoring up any of the Necromancer's weaknesses at ALL. If anything, it's taking the class's existing model and making it even more extreme.

Less mobility, less speed, no group utility, no mention of finally getting stability (just that we'll apparently need it badly!), no mention of blast finishers, and no mention of vulnerability stacking(strike that, there's a necro trait in another line where chill = vuln and if the DS vuln trait applies to RS then it's fine). Chill is nice for PvP but who gives a shit about it in PvE?

Unless the traits they announce change all that, no one's going to bring a Reaper to a dungeon.

It almost feels like they're trying to make necromancers and Reapers in particular into a "carry" class--weak alone but unstoppable when properly supported. The trouble is, this game doesn't encourage that kind of play in many situations. Arg.

Kylindra on
    The one cool thing I do see is the potential synergy between Reaper and Chronomancer.
    All hail the ChronoReaper meta.

• SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Can my acane archer knock off come too? please? No?

Ok. I'll go over here and play with my traps in the corner. . .alone.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    Nah man, everyone's gonna want a chronomancer come XPac time. We've got a cure for all that ails ya.

Or at least I will. Chronomancer Inspiration Duelist goooo

Kylindra wrote: »
    So far I'm really unimpressed with Reaper.

This isn't shoring up any of the Necromancer's weaknesses at ALL. If anything, it's taking the class's existing model and making it even more extreme.

Less mobility, less speed, no group utility, no mention of finally getting stability (just that we'll apparently need it badly!), no mention of blast finishers, and no mention of vulnerability stacking(strike that, there's a necro trait in another line where chill = vuln and if the DS vuln trait applies to RS then it's fine). Chill is nice for PvP but who gives a shit about it in PvE?

Unless the traits they announce change all that, no one's going to bring a Reaper to a dungeon.

It almost feels like they're trying to make necromancers and Reapers in particular into a "carry" class--weak alone but unstoppable when properly supported. The trouble is, this game doesn't encourage that kind of play in many situations. Arg.

Wow really?

hahaha even sage is unimpressed.

This discussion has been closed.