As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pumpkin carving help

gangsteroctopusgangsteroctopus Registered User new member
edited October 2006 in Artist's Corner
For Halloween I wanted to carve a pumpkin as a Penny-Arcade character. I have decided to use Catsby for my design.

I used Catsby from "Twisp & Catsby In: The Land Of Upp" as my reference. Here is the original picture I drew (I don't have a scanner so I took a digital picture of my drawing).

IMG_0963.jpg

The problem I have is figuring out exactly where I want to cut. I can't cut everywhere because it won't stay up with only one connection. In the next picture I have marked off the areas where I won't cut.

picMarked.jpg

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to where I should or shouldn't cut.

Thanks.[/img]

Later Days
gangsteroctopus on

• Options
    NeoRedXIIINeoRedXIII Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Use Shading. Dig half inch deep or so in skin areas. Leave line areas whole. Cut out eyes, teeth, and horns. Maybe give it a glow around the head with shading.

NeoRedXIII on
  • Options
    thevo1tathevo1ta Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    show us some photos of the in progress pumpkin. I would like to see how one does this step by step.

thevo1ta on
    hanshotfirst.jpg
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited October 2006
    catsby.jpg

DMAC on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    DMAC wrote:
    catsby.jpg
    That is good for the "major light" but I have seen pumpkins where you do not cut all the way through to create more value. I am not sure how much you can give to Catsby.
    000197031pd.jpg
    something like that. I know World of Warcraft had a contest last year for pumpkin carving and they had some amazing shit.

thevo1ta on
    hanshotfirst.jpg
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited October 2006
    Yeah, you could do cool stuff with the "half" carving in some areas but Catsby's a pretty simple cartoon character so I don't think I'd get too carried away.

DMAC on
  • Options
    gangsteroctopusgangsteroctopus Registered User new member
    edited October 2006
    Thanks for the help DMAC. I will probably do something similar to what you have.

I wasn't really considering shading for the design since it is so simple, plus I don't have the proper tools. And I will probably post the finished product, look for it after the weekend if your interested.

gangsteroctopus on
    Later Days
  • Options
    musanmanmusanman Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I did this for my math class (that I teach).

Pumpkin pi!

pumpkin.jpg

musanman on
    sic2sig.jpg
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Yeah, so put the half-depth stuff where there are lines on the inside, like his eyebrows, mouth, chin, and ears.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    srsizzy wrote:
    Yeah, so put the half-depth stuff where there are lines on the inside, like his eyebrows, mouth, chin, and ears.

I like the sound of that, but hey it isn't my pumpkin. I am sure it will look great either way!

thevo1ta on
    hanshotfirst.jpg