As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Destiny] Crota's Beginning: Fundamentally Unlike Disneyland.

• Options
    EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
    I got:

Monte Carlo (yaaaay finally!)
    Hawkmoon (an another shard to the pile)
    A really good arc mg.

Happy with this week for once.
    I got ...

~10 Strange Coins
    ~10 Ascended Energies
    Dragon's Breath -> Exotic Shard
    Purple Engram -> 2 Ascended Shards
    Irrational hatred for anyone sharding Hawkmoons

I want to trade loots with my fire-team Bungie! Why you make me hate Pluto!? :P

[PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    purple engrams turning into 2 mats is the goddamn worst. Especially since you can get 10-12 mats AS the reward.

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    BritishDavidBritishDavid Registered User regular
    Purple turning into two blue should be fucking nuked from Orbit. Makes me so angry and happens to me every goddamn time.

CjTxUSDXAAEzV5h.jpg
    Xbox | x Dredgen Yor x |
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    I see Jerry and/or Mike have made another comic about Destiny where it's clear they haven't actually played the game and are just hearing about it from upset people.

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    CelianCelian Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    I see Jerry and/or Mike have made another comic about Destiny where it's clear they haven't actually played the game and are just hearing about it from upset people.

Actually Mike played it a good amount. Comic is a decent representation of trying to drag along someone through Crota's End and needing him not to die on the end boss so it doesn't spawn an Oversoul! Technically dragging a newbie (Jerry) that never plays through the raid is faster than farming Roc Strikes and marks.

PSN: BenTheFrenchy || Xbox: TheCanuck || Battle.Net: Celian#1956 || the100.io Pax Group
  • Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Purple turning into two blue should be fucking nuked from Orbit. Makes me so angry and happens to me every goddamn time.

If you meant Ascendant Materials being blues, they were upgraded to purple quality a while back, doesnt help that its a shitty drop though.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Celian wrote: »

Actually Mike played it a good amount. Comic is a decent representation of trying to drag along someone through Crota's End and needing him not to die on the end boss so it doesn't spawn an Oversoul! Technically dragging a newbie (Jerry) that never plays through the raid is faster than farming Roc Strikes and marks.

I think the game is fundamentally flawed in that the game should give you level 30 Armour minimum by the end of the dark below story content, so you go into Crota's End with the ability to actually do it at a normal level.

I think it's pretty shitty the game allows you to finish all story content and still be level 27 or something and you HAVE to grind out marks and strikes over and over again to do Raid's at the required level, but that's the nature of these games i suppose. (Monster Hunter, Phantasy Star, Warcraft)

Maybe it's just an issue with how they represent levels in the game, Level 27 players can do level 30 challenges etc, it's just listed as "VERY HARD".

I'll be honest, the way guardian level works with actually strike level is pretty confusing to me, compounded by the fact that if something is to high a level you are just locked out from it altogether.

BritishDavid on
    CjTxUSDXAAEzV5h.jpg
    Xbox | x Dredgen Yor x |
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular

Wrongo -
    And Mike absolutely plays the hell out of Destiny.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    I've had a legendary engram turn into ONE blue item. A strange coin, and then, more often, into a mote of light. That's pretty BS right there.

• Options
    Sirialis wrote: »

If you meant Ascendant Materials being blues, they were upgraded to purple quality a while back, doesnt help that its a shitty drop though.

i mean Purple Engrams turning into two blue engrams. This only normally happens to me with the Criptard faction/level increase.

CjTxUSDXAAEzV5h.jpg
    Xbox | x Dredgen Yor x |
  • Options
    El MuchoEl Mucho Registered User regular
    I think this might be my favourite game. I've never been overly interested in raids or what have you because MMO game play never really grabbed me. But the big boss battles and loot with Halo style combat is just the best.

Granted I've only been playing for two weeks, so maybe this will change but I definitely see myself wanting to participate in lots of end game content. Added bonus is that the pvp does not suck. I have been doing decently well with the Strangers rifle as my go to gun.

BNet: ElMucho#1392
    Origin: theRealElMucho
  • Options
    ErevarErevar The Nounverber Registered User regular
    El Mucho wrote: »
    I think this might be my favourite game. I've never been overly interested in raids or what have you because MMO game play never really grabbed me. But the big boss battles and loot with Halo style combat is just the best.

Granted I've only been playing for two weeks, so maybe this will change but I definitely see myself wanting to participate in lots of end game content. Added bonus is that the pvp does not suck. I have been doing decently well with the Strangers rifle as my go to gun.

ONE OF US! ONE OF US!

KkrouBB.png
    (Destiny) Doot Doot, Shoot Brutes for New Boots, Woot Woot for Rad Suits and Phat Loots
    Bogaerts wrote:
    I can't get off until Shad gives me permission.
  • Options

I think the game is fundamentally flawed in that the game should give you level 30 Armour minimum by the end of the dark below story content, so you go into Crota's End with the ability to actually do it at a normal level.

I think it's pretty shitty the game allows you to finish all story content and still be level 27 or something and you HAVE to grind out marks and strikes over and over again to do Raid's at the required level, but that's the nature of these games i suppose. (Monster Hunter, Phantasy Star, Warcraft)

Maybe it's just an issue with how they represent levels in the game, Level 27 players can do level 30 challenges etc, it's just listed as "VERY HARD".

I'll be honest, the way guardian level works with actually strike level is pretty confusing to me, compounded by the fact that if something is to high a level you are just locked out from it altogether.

The upside of how they do these expansions though makes it so that if you join in late, you can "rejoin" the level cap rapidly. So there is that. But yeah, those types of game work with those threadmills. Has soon as they take them out, there isn't really anything to work towards.

You could do VoG at 27-28 early on. It was very doable. The downside of Crota's raid was that the light level made such a huge difference with the swordbearer that you almost needed a level 31.

PSN: BenTheFrenchy || Xbox: TheCanuck || Battle.Net: Celian#1956 || the100.io Pax Group
  • Options
    nusunusu Registered User regular
    Sirialis wrote: »

i mean Purple Engrams turning into two blue engrams. This only normally happens to me with the Criptard faction/level increase.

This happens to me all the time. I've already decided to switch to the Reef Cryptarch next tuesday, hoping that one's dice rolls are a bit more in my favor.

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Any idea what time the House of Wolves goes live?

• Options
    Arteen wrote: »
    Any idea what time the House of Wolves goes live?

13 Eastern / 10 Pacific or some weird time for weird folks living in weird places.

• Options
    So when I get home next Tuesday I'll have to download the update? Then it's grab a team for the nightfall and straight into House of Wolves.

• Options
    morgan_cokemorgan_coke Registered User regular

The upside of how they do these expansions though makes it so that if you join in late, you can "rejoin" the level cap rapidly. So there is that. But yeah, those types of game work with those threadmills. Has soon as they take them out, there isn't really anything to work towards.

You could do VoG at 27-28 early on. It was very doable. The downside of Crota's raid was that the light level made such a huge difference with the swordbearer that you almost needed a level 31.

Not "almost needed". You literally did and do need to be level 31 to kill Crota before his Enrage timer goes off. It is physically impossible to finish the raid with six level 30's. Such utter bullshit. And now with the PoE running with only 3, so you can't do your raid groups in it, but no matchmaking... and Trials of Osiris also having no matchmaking... and the game in general STILL not having social features that let you find people to game with and whatnot... just... I don't think I'm coming back for more of this nonsense.

Bungie fixed like, two minor things and then said "fuck you on the rest of it and all the underlying flaws in this game's design".

XBL: Morgan Coke Yes, there is a space, not an underscore. I'm old school like that.
    Battle.net: morgancoke#1589

Titan's Creed: Jump first, don't ask questions, punch everything
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    darleysam wrote: »

Wrongo -
    And Mike absolutely plays the hell out of Destiny.

Mike talks on the podcast regularly about Destiny. They've even said we need to try and not talk about Destiny this time, and focus on making the comic about something else. Mike had also been trying to make Jerry play Destiny for a long time, and now that Jerry has started it he's having a good time but is rather overwhelmed by how little of the end game and gearing stuff is not explained in game in any way.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    Geth appears pissed off that the robot raid was easier to do than the nightmare monster one .

• Options

Not "almost needed". You literally did and do need to be level 31 to kill Crota before his Enrage timer goes off. It is physically impossible to finish the raid with six level 30's. Such utter bullshit. And now with the PoE running with only 3, so you can't do your raid groups in it, but no matchmaking... and Trials of Osiris also having no matchmaking... and the game in general STILL not having social features that let you find people to game with and whatnot... just... I don't think I'm coming back for more of this nonsense.

Bungie fixed like, two minor things and then said "fuck you on the rest of it and all the underlying flaws in this game's design".

Everybody has different annoyances with the game and their fixes / changes will not be to enough for everyone. To some HoW is an awesome step in the right direction and others, it's not. That's perfectly fine. Seeing how just queing for normal strikes to get the bosses bounties can lead to people fucking you over, no matchmaking isn't an issue for me whatsoever. There are plenty of resources outside the game to get friends and fireteams.

• Options
    MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    edited May 2015

Consensus seems to be that the Stranger's Rifle is actually a pretty kick ass Crucible weapon since all weapons are brought to an equal level and it's the impact + perks that determine it's effectiveness.

Perhaps less so in Iron Banner or for the Trials, but for run of the mill Crucible, it's a fairly robust Pulse Rifle.

Marikir on
    steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    awsimo wrote: »
    jefe414 wrote: »
    Nice work everyone. I'm glad someone figured out the maze. Congrats on the horn grab too.

Thanks! It's my third 'horn, now I won't have to juggle between characters. ( :? Don't hate me too much, I had top billing on Not Getting Gjallarhorn for about seven months.)
    I'm very excited for the weekly and nightfall to be different strikes. It will add some much needed variety to the game.

Wait, is that a thing that's actually happening?!

I'm sure I read that somewhere.

They mentionned it during the Prison of Elders stream / reveal I do believe.

Whew
    That's a relief
    I couldn't find anything and was worrying

Ah here it is http://m.ign.com/articles/2015/05/06/destiny-major-changes-are-coming-to-the-nightfall-and-weekly-strike-missions

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    El MuchoEl Mucho Registered User regular
    Marikir wrote: »

Consensus seems to be that the Stranger's Rifle is actually a pretty kick ass Crucible weapon since all weapons are brought to an equal level and it's the impact + perks that determine it's effectiveness.

Perhaps less so in Iron Banner or for the Trials, but for run of the mill Crucible, it's a fairly robust Pulse Rifle.

This is good to hear because it's currently my only good weapon. Not knowing the maps is getting me killed an awful lot but generally in a one vs one that didn't start with me having my pants down I can get the kill.

Recognizing the supers is also something I need to learn; I die a lot to ground punches. Also, using my super effectively is something I'm quite bad at.

Currently I think I'm enjoying skirmish the most. The low player count is nice for trying to learn the maps.

BNet: ElMucho#1392
    Origin: theRealElMucho
  • Options
    sPider817sPider817 Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Can't you go into the FFA playlist with a full team? I think just going in there with a full PA group would be more entertaining and satisfying than playing with/against randoms.

Battlenet: s314der#1279 XBL: s314der YouTube
    Twitch Wed-Sun, 2-5pm CST
  • Options
    MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    That comic is a pretty good representation of what it's like to have a 27 in the Normal mode Crota Raid.

I've run with a couple of teams that were bringing a 27 along to get him gear. In one, the 27 was trying to kill the Knights after Ir Yut went down and was doing NOTHING to them due to the level cap. The Knight he was unloading shot after shot in was shrugging off everything. I hopped down next to him, melee/knifed it (was on my Hunter) and it died immediately. It was that low on health. The rest of the group laughed their heads off, chiding their low level friend somewhat and then put him to use in the Crota phase distracting Boomers.

During the second time I was with a 27 escort group, I was actually running my son's 28 character through to get him gear as well. They said they wouldn't mind it due to the 27 already being there and that they were all 31s and 32s. So, we ran it and unfortunately, their friend got no armor during the entire run. I was able to upgrade and switch out a Crota piece by the end of the raid to get my son's Hunter up to 29 (maybe 30? Can't recall) so as to not be completely useless...but yeah, keeping the 27 away from danger/Boomers was the big concern for all of us at the end. I was kinda said he didn't get any armor that raid. Hopefully he did later.

So, I find the comic pretty damn accurate in my opinion. If you bring a 27 along to visit a god's son, you are doing them a favor while also handicapping yourself. For some, that's a benefit. For others, frustration. Either way, I've seen and experienced the exact situation described.

steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • Options
    mFiendmFiend l33t quarkscooper America's HatRegistered User regular
    sPider817 wrote: »
    Can't you go into the FFA playlist with a full team? I think just going in there with a full PA group would be more entertaining and satisfying than playing with/against randoms.
    Max fireteam size for Rumble is 3 to prevent boosting.

PS4: mFiend
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    I guess my experience is different. You gain gear throughout the raid that will get you to the point you need to be to finish the raid.

I don't really see a problem with that.

• Options
    I guess my experience is different. You gain gear throughout the raid that will get you to the point you need to be to finish the raid.

The clusterfuck with that was that yes, you get the gear. But to actually increase it's light level value, you need to do the raid over, and over, and over. Which is something they recognized and fixed with House of Wolves, with armor starting at their maximum light levels and not needing to grind them up with raid / PoE materials.

• Options
    ErevarErevar The Nounverber Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    New Details on 1.2.0 Status
    Source: Reddit > link to Bungie forums (proceed with caution)
    DeeJ wrote:
    Good morning, Guardians (or afternoon or evening, wherever you are).

I've spoken with the finest minds at Bungie about Update 1.2.0 just moments ago. They're working to correct a late-breaking technical issue that would have impacted the way the game launches for a large portion of you. Progress is being made.

We'll be sharing new details on the deployment schedule that leads to House of Wolves as soon as they become facts. At the very least, you'll hear from me once a day about this. Hang in there, and thank you for your patience.

DeeJ, out.

Edit: Also posted via Bungie's Twitter.

Erevar on
    KkrouBB.png
    (Destiny) Doot Doot, Shoot Brutes for New Boots, Woot Woot for Rad Suits and Phat Loots
    Bogaerts wrote:
    I can't get off until Shad gives me permission.
  • Options
  • Options

The clusterfuck with that was that yes, you get the gear. But to actually increase it's light level value, you need to do the raid over, and over, and over. Which is something they recognized and fixed with House of Wolves, with armor starting at their maximum light levels and not needing to grind them up with raid / PoE materials.

Maybe I'm broken. I come from an Everquest background, so this is just how games work, right?

I do like the HoW changes to how progression works.

• Options
    Sounds like house of wolves isnt getting launched on tuesday.... Glad i didnt take time off yet...

CjTxUSDXAAEzV5h.jpg
    Xbox | x Dredgen Yor x |
  • Options

Maybe I'm broken. I come from an Everquest background, so this is just how games work, right?

Yes and no. In WoW or typical MMO, when you get an item, what you need to do is enchant it and maybe add some gems or any other types of buff you can do to it. Typically you can do so with very little time spent, if rich you can buy all that with gold from vendors / auction houses.

In Destiny's Crota raid, I was level 31 with 0 pieces of Crota gear. I got a new Crota drop and went back down to level 30 if I equipped it. Thus an eventual gear upgrade was a downgrade for me. Which is very, very odd. Light level trumps anything else and it needing to be leveled up via raid materials only, was a lousy mechanic that burnt out most of my raid team. You should have to level up the perks the armor bring, you shouldn't lose 25 to 50% of your damage against the enemies of the content because you suddenly lost a Light level or 2.

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    socks wrote: »
    Any class can solo the bridge section, provided you have some good weapons available to you. You get across by building the bridge or you can do the jump. Here is a video showing the bridge jump for all classes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0yga25s5qE&feature=youtu.be

It's harder with some classes (Hunter), but should be pretty easy with the Titan. Once you get over there, you just hang out in the area to the right and kills mobs until the ogres spawn. A Defender Titan might have the easiest time doing this, but I think any class can survive here if they're careful.

building the bridge really isn't that bad though. as long as the sword guy doesn't go top (too hard to shoot him while building the bridge). use a sniper+rockets if he goes low and use a shotty if he comes middle.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Things that I like about Destiny:
    -Endgame stuff
    -Getting Loot
    -Crucible
    -Raiding
    -Nightfalls
    -Dancing

Things that are bullshit about Destiny:
    -Getting jackshit from Cryptarch
    -Getting jack shit from factions
    -Getting jack shit from raiding
    -Getting jack shit from Nightfalls
    -That one guy in every LFG who quits at the final boss

• Options
    sockssocks Registered User regular
    building the bridge really isn't that bad though. as long as the sword guy doesn't go top (too hard to shoot him while building the bridge). use a sniper+rockets if he goes low and use a shotty if he comes middle.

This is true. Building the bridge is an easy method of getting across as well and can be done solo no problem. The benefits of the sword jump are you do not have to worry about building the bridge, and you do not lose your super energy by building the bridge.

• Options

Yes and no. In WoW or typical MMO, when you get an item, what you need to do is enchant it and maybe add some gems or any other types of buff you can do to it. Typically you can do so with very little time spent, if rich you can buy all that with gold from vendors / auction houses.

In Destiny's Crota raid, I was level 31 with 0 pieces of Crota gear. I got a new Crota drop and went back down to level 30 if I equipped it. Thus an eventual gear upgrade was a downgrade for me. Which is very, very odd. Light level trumps anything else and it needing to be leveled up via raid materials only, was a lousy mechanic that burnt out most of my raid team. You should have to level up the perks the armor bring, you shouldn't lose 25 to 50% of your damage against the enemies of the content because you suddenly lost a Light level or 2.

ok, yeah, i do agree with that

• Options
    cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    The light level mechanic is annoying at best, downright awful at worst. And completely unexplained within the context of the game.

That being said, anyone familiar with MMO mechanics shouldn't be surprised, at all, by what happens when you go into a max-level raid without appropriate gear. You grind, you get equivalent gear that will actually make you somewhat effective in the encounter, then you go with a group that inevitably has others that will carry you to the gear the encounter contains. Once you get that gear and become a veteran of the encounter, you do the same. If you go into a raid without gear, guns or levels that will put you even at least somewhere close to effectiveness, it's welcome to Thunderdome, bitch.

I would expect veterans of the genre to understand that.

• Options
    cr0w wrote: »
    The light level mechanic is annoying at best, downright awful at worst. And completely unexplained within the context of the game.

That being said, anyone familiar with MMO mechanics shouldn't be surprised, at all, by what happens when you go into a max-level raid without appropriate gear. You grind, you get equivalent gear that will actually make you somewhat effective in the encounter, then you go with a group that inevitably has others that will carry you to the gear the encounter contains. Once you get that gear and become a veteran of the encounter, you do the same. If you go into a raid without gear, guns or levels that will put you even at least somewhere close to effectiveness, it's welcome to Thunderdome, bitch.

I would expect veterans of the genre to understand that.

that's why i didn't really get the complaint, you see

This discussion has been closed.