As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Destiny] Crota's Beginning: Fundamentally Unlike Disneyland.

• NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    I still can't believe you have to go to their website to read game lore. That said, I got some boots last night from the Vault of Glass that even after levelling will still be worse than the boots I bought from the Vanguard. Feels a little weird, but then again the Bazooka I got is way better than the Vanguard loot. I haven't piped up about running nightfalls because my experience doing content that's higher level than my Titan is ... pretty poor. The comic is pretty spot on in that sense. I definitely felt like I was contributing in Vault of Glass at 29. Poor Jerry should be getting dragged through there first if there's any basis in reality for the comic.

I also got a nice translucent sarong!

Nosf on
  • BritishDavidBritishDavid Registered User regular
    destiny item manager appears to have stopped working in chrome? :-(

CjTxUSDXAAEzV5h.jpg
    Xbox | x Dredgen Yor x |
  • jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    destiny item manager appears to have stopped working in chrome? :-(

What

Good thing I have 2 No Lands Beyond. I can test it out and if it dies, it dies.

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • CelianCelian Registered User regular
    cr0w wrote: »
    The light level mechanic is annoying at best, downright awful at worst. And completely unexplained within the context of the game.

That being said, anyone familiar with MMO mechanics shouldn't be surprised, at all, by what happens when you go into a max-level raid without appropriate gear. You grind, you get equivalent gear that will actually make you somewhat effective in the encounter, then you go with a group that inevitably has others that will carry you to the gear the encounter contains. Once you get that gear and become a veteran of the encounter, you do the same. If you go into a raid without gear, guns or levels that will put you even at least somewhere close to effectiveness, it's welcome to Thunderdome, bitch.

I would expect veterans of the genre to understand that.

Honestly, Light level is pretty much the same as Attack / DPS / Defense / Spell Power or whatever other statistic you get whenever you obtain a new item in a new raid in MMOs. It simply increases your damage, your mitigation and / or your healing ability. If you didn't have appropriate levels of these stats, content would be harder or just undoable. People would just assume their gear wasn't good enough.

Calling it a "Level" is where the confusion came in. With the House of Wolves change, it will pretty much just mean your gear is good enough to do the content you are going into. You won't lose Light level when getting upgrades and you'll be able to keep moving forward with less farming.

PSN: BenTheFrenchy || Xbox: TheCanuck || Battle.Net: Celian#1956 || the100.io Pax Group
  • awsimoawsimo a perfectly cromulent human; definitely not a robot Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    I still can't believe you have to go to their website to read game lore. That said, I got some boots last night from the Vault of Glass that even after levelling will still be worse than the boots I bought from the Vanguard. Feels a little weird, but then again the Bazooka I got is way better than the Vanguard loot. I haven't piped up about running nightfalls because my experience doing content that's higher level than my Titan is ... pretty poor. The comic is pretty spot on in that sense. I definitely felt like I was contributing in Vault of Glass at 29. Poor Jerry should be getting dragged through there first if there's any basis in reality for the comic.

I also got a nice translucent sarong!

BTW, you'll be able to upgrade those boots to 42 Light (the new max) using Etheric Light after House of Wolves drops next week, so hang onto them. Raid boots always come with an "increased heavy weapon ammo" perk, which is extremely handy for obvious reasons.

To me, whatever the game's faults, it has been an interesting experience to watch Bungie-- a top-tier FPS developer-- take their first halting steps into learning a completely different genre, the MMO. Every expansion, every patch brings a raft of new changes, some of which work and some that really don't. It's kinda like watching a toddler learn how to walk. Sure, the fall on their face a lot, but they keep getting up and making slow progress.

• NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Yeah, not deleting any legendary gear as of yet. I have some arms, hats, chests and some other stuff that I can sit on until I feel motivated enough to start looking at real builds for Titans and such.

• cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Celian wrote: »
    The light level mechanic is annoying at best, downright awful at worst. And completely unexplained within the context of the game.

That being said, anyone familiar with MMO mechanics shouldn't be surprised, at all, by what happens when you go into a max-level raid without appropriate gear. You grind, you get equivalent gear that will actually make you somewhat effective in the encounter, then you go with a group that inevitably has others that will carry you to the gear the encounter contains. Once you get that gear and become a veteran of the encounter, you do the same. If you go into a raid without gear, guns or levels that will put you even at least somewhere close to effectiveness, it's welcome to Thunderdome, bitch.

Honestly, Light level is pretty much the same as Attack / DPS / Defense / Spell Power or whatever other statistic you get whenever you obtain a new item in a new raid in MMOs. It simply increases your damage, your mitigation and / or your healing ability. If you didn't have appropriate levels of these stats, content would be harder or just undoable. People would just assume their gear wasn't good enough.

Calling it a "Level" is where the confusion came in. With the House of Wolves change, it will pretty much just mean your gear is good enough to do the content you are going into. You won't lose Light level when getting upgrades and you'll be able to keep moving forward with less farming.

Completely agreed. The problem stems from reaching what the game all but tells you is "max level" only to find out that wait, there's more? Why didn't somebody tell me about this, who's in charge?

20141011150241!Eckhart_(Burtonverse).jpg

Ohh, my God...

• Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular

right, but this being a console title and the fact that there have been so few MMOs on consoles means that the game has probably brought in a lot of players that aren't genre veterans.

to be honest this is a problem that's bigger than just this game or this genre. presumed knowledge is a massive barrier to entry in gaming as a whole and it can be a major turn off to people who don't have or want to spend time learning stuff that isn't explained clearly in-game. i'd also argue that its poor design to expect the player to just know what you expect of them.

also, 'this is how it's always been done' is always a shitty justification for things.

• cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »

right, but this being a console title and the fact that there have been so few MMOs on consoles means that the game has probably brought in a lot of players that aren't genre veterans.

to be honest this is a problem that's bigger than just this game or this genre. presumed knowledge is a massive barrier to entry in gaming as a whole and it can be a major turn off to people who don't have or want to spend time learning stuff that isn't explained clearly in-game. i'd also argue that its poor design to expect the player to just know what you expect of them.

also, 'this is how it's always been done' is always a shitty justification for things.

I'm not referring to anyone but Gabe and Tycho and the latest comic. I don't see how they could be unfamiliar with how the game works, given how many other games they've played for years that use the exact same mechanic.

• jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    Yeah I dumped all of my non-raid 300 attack weapons (some of which were pretty f'ing great) because after The Dark Below, how the hell was I supposed to expect to be able to upgrade that shit to 365 attack in HoW? It's not like I had anywhere to keep the damn things.

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    jefe414 wrote: »
    Yeah I dumped all of my non-raid 300 attack weapons (some of which were pretty f'ing great) because after The Dark Below, how the hell was I supposed to expect to be able to upgrade that shit to 365 attack in HoW? It's not like I had anywhere to keep the damn things.

I did, too. Except I couldn't bring myself to get rid of my good perk rolled TDYK, Zombie Apocalypse, Super Pox, and Judgement since they still kind of had uses in non-IB Crucible.

Glad I at least kept those.

• ErevarErevar The Nounverber Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    My biggest complaint about Light Level is the extreme impact 1 or 2 points can have on both your offense and defense. It's a hard plateau between 100% outgoing damage and normal incoming damage versus 70% outgoing damage and 125% incoming damage (guessing at numbers).

Unlike some of the mechanics that other MMOs have historically used (as pointed out above by @Celian ), there is no curve - it's all tiered.

I "main" my Hunter. I like playing her the most. I spent a long time at 29 in vanilla and a long time at 31 in TDB, and I didn't care what the stats were on the VoG boots and CE chest I eventually got were because it had LIGHT. That seems like a pretty big flaw in the gearing meta.

Hopefully we'll be less at the mercy of RNGesus moving forward (looking at you, Armor Cores and Etheric Light).

Erevar on
    KkrouBB.png
    (Destiny) Doot Doot, Shoot Brutes for New Boots, Woot Woot for Rad Suits and Phat Loots
    Bogaerts wrote:
    I can't get off until Shad gives me permission.
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »

I'm not referring to anyone but Gabe and Tycho and the latest comic. I don't see how they could be unfamiliar with how the game works, given how many other games they've played for years that use the exact same mechanic.

also it's a really weird complaint to wait to make a week before that problem is fixed

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    I guess my experience is different. You gain gear throughout the raid that will get you to the point you need to be to finish the raid.

I don't really see a problem with that.

The clusterfuck with that was that yes, you get the gear. But to actually increase it's light level value, you need to do the raid over, and over, and over. Which is something they recognized and fixed with House of Wolves, with armor starting at their maximum light levels and not needing to grind them up with raid / PoE materials.

Maybe I'm broken. I come from an Everquest background, so this is just how games work, right?

I do like the HoW changes to how progression works.

Yes and no. In WoW or typical MMO, when you get an item, what you need to do is enchant it and maybe add some gems or any other types of buff you can do to it. Typically you can do so with very little time spent, if rich you can buy all that with gold from vendors / auction houses.

In Destiny's Crota raid, I was level 31 with 0 pieces of Crota gear. I got a new Crota drop and went back down to level 30 if I equipped it. Thus an eventual gear upgrade was a downgrade for me. Which is very, very odd. Light level trumps anything else and it needing to be leveled up via raid materials only, was a lousy mechanic that burnt out most of my raid team. You should have to level up the perks the armor bring, you shouldn't lose 25 to 50% of your damage against the enemies of the content because you suddenly lost a Light level or 2.

ok, yeah, i do agree with that

They are fixing this with HoW at least, yeah?

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    I guess my experience is different. You gain gear throughout the raid that will get you to the point you need to be to finish the raid.

The clusterfuck with that was that yes, you get the gear. But to actually increase it's light level value, you need to do the raid over, and over, and over. Which is something they recognized and fixed with House of Wolves, with armor starting at their maximum light levels and not needing to grind them up with raid / PoE materials.

Maybe I'm broken. I come from an Everquest background, so this is just how games work, right?

Yes and no. In WoW or typical MMO, when you get an item, what you need to do is enchant it and maybe add some gems or any other types of buff you can do to it. Typically you can do so with very little time spent, if rich you can buy all that with gold from vendors / auction houses.

In Destiny's Crota raid, I was level 31 with 0 pieces of Crota gear. I got a new Crota drop and went back down to level 30 if I equipped it. Thus an eventual gear upgrade was a downgrade for me. Which is very, very odd. Light level trumps anything else and it needing to be leveled up via raid materials only, was a lousy mechanic that burnt out most of my raid team. You should have to level up the perks the armor bring, you shouldn't lose 25 to 50% of your damage against the enemies of the content because you suddenly lost a Light level or 2.

it would seem so

it doesn't fix everything but it does seem to remove the problem of losing progression by getting better gear

• El MuchoEl Mucho Registered User regular
    Question, the gear I can purchase through the factions and/or the vanguard vendor dude, will it take me to a high enough light level to participate in some of the more difficult content?

BNet: ElMucho#1392
    Origin: theRealElMucho
  • FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    HoW on Tuesday supposedly? Cool.

• MarikirMarikir Registered User regular

it would seem so

it doesn't fix everything but it does seem to remove the problem of losing progression by getting better gear

...Somewhat.

Some of the armor comes at max level. Some has to be upgraded to hit that new max level. So, from what I understand, it depends on how you get the item.

steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
    El Mucho wrote: »
    Question, the gear I can purchase through the factions and/or the vanguard vendor dude, will it take me to a high enough light level to participate in some of the more difficult content?

Currently? Yeah it'll get you to light level 31.

• CelianCelian Registered User regular

It might be wise to wait until next Tuesday to buy anything, if you are at all getting House of Wolves. The new stuff should be accessible and should bump up your light level more than the currently available gear.

PSN: BenTheFrenchy || Xbox: TheCanuck || Battle.Net: Celian#1956 || the100.io Pax Group
  • awsimoawsimo a perfectly cromulent human; definitely not a robot Registered User regular
    edited May 2015

Currently, gear from Faction/Vanguard/Crucible vendors in the Tower will get you to Level 31, which is definitely enough to run Nightfalls, the Vault of Glass, and Crota's End. The current max is 32, which you can only reach by getting armor from Crota's End (and reaching 32 only really matters if you want to run CE on Hard Mode).

However, all of that is going to change next week when the new expansion, House of Wolves, comes out. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe new Vendor gear will get you to 32.

Note that you won't need to own HoW to get the Level 32 vendor gear. You can also upgrade any legendary gear to the new max of Level 34 using Etheric Light, which you'll get by doing Nightfalls, Prison of Elders, Trials of Osiris, and Iron Banner.

TL;DR If you have some Marks to spend in the Tower, I would advise waiting until next week, when everything will be higher level.

awsimo on
    Did they show what the HoW vendor armor started at? Just curious.

Spoiler for big, but here are some pictures of HoW Vanguard armor with 36 Light, which is the requirement for Level 32. I guess you don't even have to upgrade it?
    fnGkokF.jpg

uRpNqpi.jpg

u8de74n.jpg

awsimo wrote: »

Currently, gear from Faction/Vanguard/Crucible vendors in the Tower will get you to Level 31, which is definitely enough to run Nightfalls, the Vault of Glass, and Crota's End. The current max is 32, which you can only reach by getting armor from Crota's End (and reaching 32 only really matters if you want to run CE on Hard Mode).

However, all of that is going to change next week when the new expansion, House of Wolves, comes out. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Vendor gear will get you to 32.

Note that you don't need to own HoW to get the Level 32 vendor gear. You can also upgrade any legendary gear to the new max of Level 34 using Etheric Light, which you'll get by doing Nightfalls, Prison of Elders, Trials of Osiris, and Iron Banner.

TL;DR If you have some Marks to spend in the Tower, I would advise waiting until next week, when everything will be higher level.

The only thing I can see to add to what @awsimo said above: Iron Banner is also an option for max-light armor. Exotics will ascend to max values using exotic shards (not Etheric Light).

Otherwise he's got it. =)

KkrouBB.png
    (Destiny) Doot Doot, Shoot Brutes for New Boots, Woot Woot for Rad Suits and Phat Loots
    Bogaerts wrote:
  • El MuchoEl Mucho Registered User regular
    Alright, thanks for the information. There is a lot to absorb. I have 28 crucible marks at the moment so I doubt very much I'll have enough to spend before the new expansion drops.

BNet: ElMucho#1392
    Origin: theRealElMucho
  • BritishDavidBritishDavid Registered User regular
    managed to solo the first part of normal crota on my own, now to try and do bridge, can't quite get the jump yet

CjTxUSDXAAEzV5h.jpg
    Xbox | x Dredgen Yor x |
  • Gilbert0Gilbert0 North of SeattleRegistered User regular
    Spoiler for big, but here are some pictures of HoW Vanguard armor with 36 Light, which is the requirement for Level 32. I guess you don't even have to upgrade it?
    fnGkokF.jpg

uRpNqpi.jpg

u8de74n.jpg

So does this mean that for HoW, there is no use for ascendent materials at all?! It looks like you only need to unlock the perks and then one "major" upgrade of Etheric light.

I guess we'll see next week.

Ran 2 nightfalls, 2 weeklies, leveled cryptarch, Dead Orbit, Vanguard and got.......nothing . Got "The Calling" a legendary FWC scout rifle, with firefly, but I already have a "Another NitC" with Third Eye (radar stays active), bigger clip size and higher range.

Maybe do a couple more Crota runs / maybe a VoG this week but it'll be saving for HoW.

I want 1.2 to drop too, I have 2 Bad Juju bouties ready to go for the crucible sections but I'm holding off until I get more rep/marks in the crucible.

• ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I know I've said this before, but I really hope etheric light isn't too hard to come by. It'll be strange if they're rarer than exotic shards.

I think I have nearly enough shards to ascend all my exotics on day one.

Alright, thanks for the information. There is a lot to absorb. I have 28 crucible marks at the moment so I doubt very much I'll have enough to spend before the new expansion drops.

Yeah, there's quite a bit that isn't explained in the game proper. Which, oddly enough, is what drove me to visit Reddit and this forum obsessively, and now I have this awesome group of people to play with. Either it's serendipity, or it was Bungie's genius plan all along! (Spoiler: It's the first one.)

Generally you can obtain Vanguard marks a lot faster than Crucible marks. Although I think they're doubling Crucible marks after HoW. (Or am I making that up?)

I plan on hitting up 3 weekly heroics so I can have Scrooge McDuck money bin coins just in case....

• Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    managed to solo the first part of normal crota on my own, now to try and do bridge, can't quite get the jump yet

I don't know what class you are, but I seriously found it easier to just build the bridge compared to learning the jump as a hunter.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.

Yeah, there's quite a bit that isn't explained in the game proper. Which, oddly enough, is what drove me to visit Reddit and this forum obsessively, and now I have this awesome group of people to play with. Either it's serendipity, or it was Bungie's genius plan all along! (Spoiler: It's the first one.)

Generally you can obtain Vanguard marks a lot faster than Crucible marks. Although I think they're doubling Crucible marks after HoW. (Or am I making that up?)

They are. It was supposed to a part of patch 1.2, which was supposed to drop last night.

• Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    I wonder if the prices will make it possible for me to buy 3 pieces of light level 36 gear at 200 valor? I'll need it if I wanna run 3 nightfalls at 32 next week. I can probably manage 31, but it isn't going to be ideal.

• MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    Gilbert0 wrote: »
    So does this mean that for HoW, there is no use for ascendent materials at all?! It looks like you only need to unlock the perks and then one "major" upgrade of Etheric light.

I may be wrong, but I believe that VoG and Crota gear will still need Ascendants and Radiants respectively.

PSN: Holy-Promethium
    Gilbert0 wrote: »

I may be wrong, but I believe that VoG and Crota gear will still need Ascendants and Radiants respectively.

hmmm the Crota gear is Radiants....so I have 70+ asc shards and 40+ asc energy for.......VoG stuff only. Wow, that's getting sold off fast.

• MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Ascendant Energy is, I believe, still used for most of the Legendary weapons that don't come from Crota. So, your old purple weapons, new purples, or VoG weapons all need Asc Energies.

I think it's the same with Shards. So, Radiant stuff is really where the limited use is...

All of this assumes that they don't change it in HoW...which, let's be honest, they probably will.

Marikir on
    steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    EvilMonkey wrote: »
    I got:

Monte Carlo (yaaaay finally!)
    Hawkmoon (an another shard to the pile)
    A really good arc mg.

Happy with this week for once.
    I got ...

~10 Strange Coins
    ~10 Ascended Energies
    Dragon's Breath -> Exotic Shard
    Purple Engram -> 2 Ascended Shards
    Irrational hatred for anyone sharding Hawkmoons

I want to trade loots with my fire-team Bungie! Why you make me hate Pluto!? :P

Yeah making people hate Pluto is my job.

Also I feel bad that I can't give them them away :(

I was going to point out that the Speaker will have a materials exchange once HoW drops, but I don't think you can convert between Radiant and Ascendant.

Someone fact-check me, please?

KkrouBB.png
    Bogaerts wrote:
    Erevar wrote: »
    I was going to point out that the Speaker will have a materials exchange once HoW drops, but I don't think you can convert between Radiant and Ascendant.

Someone fact-check me, please?

it looked to me like it was shard/energy only not ascendant/radiant

like one shard of whichever type costs a mote of light and one energy of the same type, and vice versa

i think

though, honestly, earning ascendant materials isn't difficult, it's earning the kind i actually need

i'm at like 40 energy and 3 shards right now

so the exchange will pretty much alleviate the problem there

This discussion has been closed.