As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pre-PAXventure Time Boardgame Night: I FLOOP THE PIG!

LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
edited August 2015 in PAX West
m1t1hmwluifs.png

WHAT: A coordinated meetup the night before PAX for anyone with board games, or anyone who wants to play boardgames.

WHERE: The 2nd Floor of the Seattle Sheraton Hotel: 1400 6th Ave.

p9pb1pv74o3o.jpg

WHEN: Thursday August 27 @ 4:00 PM until late, late, late. How late? You decide!

This event is ALL AGES!! It's also FREE! And there are NO SIGNUPS!!! Just show up and have a great time. Feel free to bring your spawn, but remember that PAXers have filthy, filthy mouths and your wee ones may be subject to some exciting new vocabulary.

DEETS:
-500 seats in and around Grand Ballroom B on the 2nd floor.
-The ballroom will be open until midnight. Games will need to be moved to the downstairs lobbies at that time.
-There will be a bar upstairs, by the gaming area. You're also welcome to order food/booze and bring it up from the restaurant/bar downstairs. There will not be table service.
-This event is not paid for, endorsed by, or affiliated with Official Penny Arcade. It is a community-run event.
- Buttoneering! There is an official PAXventure time button that you can get at the info table for free:
ez76aubwwokm.jpg

THE MOST IMPORTANT RULE: Buy your food and drinks from the hotel. No outside food. It's how we "pay" for this event that they give us for free. Our situation with the hotel is a little delicate this year, please be extra good.

THE OTHER RULES
- This is important enough to list twice: The hotel gives us this space for free: they don't owe us this event. In return we give them a good bar and restaurant take. Please plan to purchase food and/or drink from the hotel. Takeout pizza or outside food is discouraged in the strongest possible terms, and I will be asking people who have food to take it elsewhere. If your budget is tight and you can't afford hotel food, please eat before or go to your room to eat. Thank you in advance for understanding how this whole free-game-night-barter-system-politics thing works.

- Because of fire code restrictions, please game in the designated areas instead of in the hotel lobbies. If you see people gaming in the lobbies, roll a knowledge check to see if they know there's a designated gaming area. Gaming in the bar and restaurant is fine as long as you're not tablesquatting (ie: make sure you continue to order as if the table is turning each hour). Note that this year the hotel security staff will be policing the downstairs main lobby and asking people to move upstairs so that the non-PAX guests can use the downstairs lobby.

- Please don't be an egregious douchebag. For example, last year some guy decided it would be a great idea to smoke a vape in the ballroom and the hotel manager came and had an unpleasant chat with me about it. This isn't your buddy's garage man cave, please act appropriately. We pride ourselves on being a responsible, self-policing community, so if you see someone acting inappropriately (eating takeout food, smoking, vandalizing or just being a dick), it's a good idea to nicely recommend they knock it the fuck off before management does.

- Be Excellent to each other. We freaks and geeks can be a socially maladroit group, so if someone is shyly lurking by your table, invite them to join. Be patient, be nice. Please don't flip your table.

- Lastly, do not anger LexiconGrrl by breaking the rules. We have worked hard for this event, don't piss on it. There is an excellent possibility that I may be exhausted, half-drunk, and resentful about missing PAX so if I have to intervene between you and the hotel I will ensure that Game Night is the most memorable part of your PAX experience, along with everyone else within a 5 table radius.

HOW IT WORKS on the thread
1. If you have games to bring, please post what you're bringing.
2. If you're looking to play a specific game, please post your request.

HOW IT WORKS at the Hotel
1. Your coordinator for the night is LexiconGrrl. You can find her at the Info table with the Cookie Brigade if you have any questions.
2. If you've got a game and are looking for players, put the box top of the game vertically on your table. This is the universal sign for "I don't care who you are, please join us"
3. If you're looking to join a game, look for vertical box tops.
4. We will have a hosted checkout system at the info table. You can drop off games to loan or borrow games there. If you're dropping off, I recommend doing this:
fpw9gvslxm9p.jpg

GAME ON!!

Requested Games
[Game List, Alphabetical]

Available Games
[Game List, Alphabetical]

Original Post
Pre-PAX Boardgame night will happen at the Sheraton again this year. More details to come, but the thread is nigh and planinating has begun. Please feel free to commence the discourse.

UPDATE 6/2: We're on hold while the Sheraton figures out what their available space will be like this year. In the meantime, here are the answers to a couple of common questions until the *Big* post goes up.

UPDATE 7/6: Sorry for the delay folks, we're still on hold per the Sheraton's event team. Seems like things are just getting finalized a little later this year than usual but it's going to happen, don't worry.

- The event starts at 4pm and will go as late as people care to go. The rooms usually close at 1 or 2 am and any remaining games would need to move to the lobbies.

- We expect to be up in the Ballrooms on the Mezzanine again, which fills up to capacity of 500 seats between 7pm and 10pm. If you don't mind sitting on the floor, gaming on the mezzanine lobby floor is completely okay and there's loads of room.

- There will be a bar upstairs but no food service. You are welcome to order food from the bar or restaurant downstairs and bring it up with you.

- This event is ALL AGES!! It's also FREE! And there are NO SIGNUPS!!! Just show up and have a great time. Feel free to bring your spawn, but remember that PAXers have filthy, filthy mouths and your wee ones may be subject to some exciting new vocabulary.

The Rules
- This is important: the hotel gives us this space for free and in return we give them a good bar and restaurant take. Please plan to purchase food and/or drink from the hotel. We strongly discourage people from bringing in takeout pizza or outside food - if your budget is tight and you can't afford hotel food, please eat before or go to your room to eat. Thank you in advance for understanding how this whole free-game-night-barter-system-politics works.

- Because of fire code restrictions, please game in the designated areas instead of in the hotel lobbies. If you see people gaming in the lobbies, roll a knowledge check to see if they know there's a designated gaming area. Gaming in the bar and restaurant is fine as long as you're not tablesquatting (ie: make sure you continue to order as if the table is turning each hour).

- Please don't be an egregious douchebag. For example, last year some guy decided it would be a great idea to smoke a vape in the ballroom and the hotel manager came and had an unpleasant chat with me about it. This isn't your buddy's garage man cave, please act appropriately. We pride ourselves on being a responsible, self-policing community, so if you see someone acting inappropriately, it's a good idea to nicely recommend they knock it the fuck off before management does.

- Lastly, do not anger LexiconGrrl by breaking the rules. We have worked hard for this event, don't piss on it. There is an excellent possibility that I may be exhausted, half-drunk, and resentful about missing PAX so if I have to intervene between you and the hotel I will ensure that Game Night is the most memorable part of your PAX experience, along with everyone else within a 5 table radius.
-

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
LexiconGrrl on

• jamsyarbotsjamsyarbots Wilmington, DERegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    This might be my favorite pax event! I'll be bringing The Resistance with both expansions and I'll probably be bringing One Night Ultimate Werewolf/Daybreak. I might bring Avalon as well but I'll need to find where it's buried.

jamsyarbots on
  • KarickKarick Registered User regular
    Love Boardgame night. We will be bringing SmashUp (all Xpacs), Legendary Encounters (Aliens), Super Fight, Cards Against Humanity (All Xpacs), Multiple sets of Munchkin.

• WuShockWuShock Lawful Good South BrownbackistanRegistered User regular
    Maybe THIS time I can actually play some games with @LexiconGrrl instead of having her pawn off a drunk Russian woman onto me.

*glares*

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• SolelronSolelron Wandering Gamer Cornelius, ORRegistered User regular
    Lexi. I will see what I can bring for support again this year :)

• seventyx7xseventyx7x Registered User regular
    Will be my third year attending :D
    Hopefully I can play with some strangers this time

• pogoplaypogoplay Writer/Blogger/Gamer Calgary, AlbertaRegistered User regular
    I think this will be the first year I attend this. I may bring Geek Out with me as it seems like the appropriate title for PAX :)

Attended: PAX Prime 2010, PAX Prime 2011, PAX Prime 2012, PAX Prime 2014.
    Attending: PAX Prime 2016
    Twitter @Pogoplay
  • Dr.RocktipusDr.Rocktipus Registered User regular
    I got really into boardgames as a result of attending this last year. I have a fair number of games now and will likely have more before Pax, but right now I may bring Once Upon a Time, Coup, Citadels, Love Letter, Hanabi, Betrayal at House on the Hill, Shadow Hunters, Cash n' Guns, Dead of Winter, Shadows over Camelot, and Sheriff of Nottingham. I also have Twilight Imperium but I don't think that one'd fit. I'll probably only want to bring one or two normal sized games and a handful of smaller games, so if people are interested in any of the above listed it'd be nice to keep a tally.

• SpicyMeatsSpicyMeats Victoria BCRegistered User regular
    Love this event. If there is ever a yer where I don't get tickets to prime il still come down from Victoria for this.

qEGfoNG.png

• forbiddenvoidforbiddenvoid Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    What time does this usually start? My wife and I have plans most of the day, but I'd love to come hang out later.

ewnk2szpswv2.png

PAX. PAX. PAX. Boom.
    What time does this usually start? My wife and I have plans most of the day, but I'd love to come hang out later.

Mid to early evening for most people, but people wander in ALL night long. Last time I was there from like 6 till around 11 and then just ended up leaving my games I had loaned out there for the people who were crazy enough to stay later :)

• scotty2haughtyscotty2haughty Registered User regular
    Aww sadly I'm going to be showing up at PAX Friday morning.

• LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular

Officially: 4pm on PAXmas Eve (thursday). But folks often start earlier on the floor or the downstairs lobbies.

It goes until midnight or 2am in the designated ballrooms, but people are welcome to move their games to the lobbies when the mezzanine shuts down and game as long as they want. A few die-hards go all night.

WuShock wrote: »
    Maybe THIS time I can actually play some games with @LexiconGrrl instead of having her pawn off a drunk Russian woman onto me.

*glares*

Wait, wut? Did I do that? Oh well, I'm sure it builds character.

• DemonsMasterDemonsMaster Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Myself and my girlfriend and friends will likely be coming to this for the first time. I'm usually never up in Seattle for the Thursday before PAX and just show up Friday but I'm excited to play some games I've never tried before with my friends. I'm sure people bring all kinds of variations of Risk but I do have Halo Risk I can bring up lol.

DemonsMaster on
    Pax Prime (West) '13, '14, '15, '16.
    Pax South '16
    Pax Prime 2015 Omeganaut
  • AaronElWhiteAaronElWhite WARegistered User regular
    Myself and my girlfriend and friends will likely be coming to this for the first time. I'm usually never up in Seattle for the Thursday before PAX and just show up Friday but I'm excited to play some games I've never tried before with my friends. I'm sure people bring all kinds of variations of Risk but I do have Halo Risk I can bring up lol.

In the four years I've attended, I can honestly say that I have never once seen a game of Risk being played.

• Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    I'm contemplating assembling a team of Internet Strangers for a short (~2 hour) D&D session. Sounds like this might be a decent venue for that?

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • claypidgeonclaypidgeon Registered User new member
    I have never attended this event and I don't have much experience with board games, but this event sounds like a great way to spend the night before pax, how easy would it be for me to join games with no prior experience?

edited May 2015
    I have never attended this event and I don't have much experience with board games, but this event sounds like a great way to spend the night before pax, how easy would it be for me to join games with no prior experience?

It's pretty easy really. Most people are eager to have people to play with and are more than willing to explain the rules of whatever game to newcomers. If I recall correctly there is a standard signal that people use to indicate that they are looking for more people to join the game. I think it was standing up the box top for people to see and laying it flat once the game was full. Anybody feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

jamsyarbots on
  • JesusInHDJesusInHD Registered User regular

It's pretty easy really. Most people are eager to have people to play with and are more than willing to explain the rules of whatever game to newcomers. If I recall correctly there is a standard signal that people use to indicate that they are looking for more people to join the game. I think it was standing up the box top for people to see and laying down once the game was full. Anybody feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
    That's correct. And yeah, absolutely sit down at a table with a game you've never heard of. I brought one last year, and was definitely anticipating having to run through the rules with whoever sat down.
    This was one of my favorite parts of PAX last year, I'm looking forward to spending way more time there than I did!

When I went to my first game night at PAX, I was not that into board games or card games. I now own about 15 different games and we do weekly meet ups for a board game night. Being able to try new things with awesome people is one of the best parts of PAX.

Just come and enjoy. Last year I ran like 3 run-throughs of 1 night ultimate werewolf plus was able to play smashup and Chez geek with some new people! plus. great place to trade PINS!

In the four years I've attended, I can honestly say that I have never once seen a game of Risk being played.

Then you didn't see me playing it three years ago. :biggrin:

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

My first ever time at PAX, we got in Thursday night around 6. We were staying at the Sheraton, and my 8 year-old son pretty much inserted himself into a game of Munchkin. The group could not have been more kind. One guy basically took him as an advisor and they had a fabulous time. I knew I'd made the right choice bringing him right then.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• KeroanKeroan Chicago, IllinoisRegistered User regular
    Solelron wrote: »

Just come and enjoy. Last year I ran like 3 run-throughs of 1 night ultimate werewolf plus was able to play smashup and Chez geek with some new people! plus. great place to trade PINS!

DID SOMEONE SAY PINS?

I'm in ;)

I finally get to PAX early enough to enjoy stuff! Huzzah!!

• IncreaseBlueIncreaseBlue Registered User regular
    Oh man, this sounds right up my groups' alley. I hope someone brings the Street Fighter or DC Universe deck building games. I've been wanting to play with different people.

at the Lightest, We'll bring a DC, some ascension, a full set of Munchkin, One night ultimate werewolf, smashup, and maybe waterdeep.
    at the heaviest, we'll have 2 if not 3 suitcases full of games available for people to borrow from Lexi's table of goodies ;)

edited May 2015
    I can't think up a good theme for this year's event. Somebody help me. All I have is "Pre-POX Game Night" and that's no fun.

We've done Boardgame of Thrones, PAX to the Future, PAXtastic Voyage, etc...

LexiconGrrl on
  • FenrisfangFenrisfang Edmonton, AB, CanadaRegistered User regular
    So looking forward to this! We were there two years ago and had another event planned for the evening and hated to leave because we were having so much fun. I am not huge into boardgames but this event is ALWAYS a blast!

PAX Tickets: check!
    Hotel Booked: check!
    Sitter for the kids: check!
    Excitement level rising: check, check and triple check!
  • GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    I can't think up a good theme for this year's event. Somebody help me. All I have is "Pre-POX Game Night" and that's no fun.

Board Trouble in Little Sheraton?

Edit:
    Mad PAX: The Board Warrior?

GONG-00 on
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • EnderWiggumEnderWiggum Registered User regular
    Put me down for a game or 3, if I can't find a badge for PAX then I'll be gaming all night.

I live pretty close by and can bring several games:
    Dominion, Ascension, CAH, Settlers Card Game, Zombie Dice, Zombies!! The Game, Bang - Big Bullet, Lost Legacy, Pairs, The Great Dalmuti, Cthulu Dice, Munchkin Deluxe, Risk 2150 AD, Carcassone or anything else i see requested and not in the list.

• PerestroikaPerestroika Registered User regular
    edited May 2015

Boarderlands: The Pre-PAXquel.

Perestroika on
    It's just me, a block of dirt, and a cavern full of danger.
    PAX Prime Attendee: '10, '12, '13, '14
    Prime 2015 Cosplay: Hilda, Female Sunset City Hero, Squirtle Squad url="http://www.facebook.com/steleus"]X[/url

Pre-Pax gaming Episode VII: The Pax awakens?

• Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Mad PAX: The Board Warrior?

Seems like a pretty clear winner here.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
    edited May 2015
    Yeah, I'm all over Mad PAX. Because (edited): MAD MOTHERFUCKING MAX. Thanks @GONG-00 !

SOME of us old farts actually got to see the whole trilogy in the theater. Good stuff. I can't wait to design this year's buttons.
    y7j8fym0g158.jpg

LexiconGrrl on
    OMG! Somebody needs to photoshop that guy in the midst of table flipping nerd rage. Based on my own experience, that would mean it has Magic cards on it.

Picking up Epic Spell wars 2 today, will add that to my list for game night. As well as One Night Ultimate Werewolf.

• itzzzdaeitzzzdae So. Cali.Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Yes!! can't wait for this!
    I am arriving in the morning, is there anywhere I will be able to play some boardgames in the afternoon near the Sheraton?

itzzzdae on
    4rYn4o8.png
    itzzzdae wrote: »
    I am arriving in the morning, is there anywhere I will be able to play some boardgames in the afternoon near the Sheraton?

Depends on MMT but I should be. I'm staying a the Camlin so not far away and I get there wednesday

Yeah, I'm all over Mad PAX. Because (edited): MAD MOTHERFUCKING MAX. Thanks @GONG-00 !

SOME of us old farts actually got to see the whole trilogy in the theater. Good stuff. I can't wait to design this year's buttons.
    y7j8fym0g158.jpg

I highly doubt we could come up with anything better than this!

Solelron wrote: »
    itzzzdae wrote: »

Depends on MMT but I should be. I'm staying a the Camlin so not far away and I get there wednesday

You'd be fine in the Sheraton lobbies/bar early on in the day - they don't like us crowding the lobbies en masse so you'd be best off moving upstairs at 4 when the mezzanine opens. Otherwise there are plenty of other hotels and bars that would be great hangouts.