As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DnD 3.5 Sneak Attacking

DamascusxieDamascusxie Registered User regular
edited October 2006 in Critical Failures
I'm having a bit of trouble as a DM figuring out exactly how this works with a bluff check. What I am doing now is...

1) Letting the player make a bluff check to see if he can sneak attack a creature who is not flat-footed or being flanked. This is counted as part of his attack, so his attack and bluff check is rolled into one standard action.

2) Resisting that with a sense-motive check from the creature.

3) If he beats the resisted check, then I allow the sneak attack. If he fails, then he uses the entire standard action in that failed bluff check.

Am I doing it wrong?

Mainly the reason I ask is because most creatures I have them fight end up with none, or next to none bonuses to sense motive, and the rogue player has something like +8 to bluff. Does this mean that he is a virtual damage machine and I should crank out more undead and constructs to prevent the party from steamrolling everything?

starlordsig1-2.jpg
Damascusxie on

• Options
    edited October 2006
    So, if he does not have the improved feint feat, would he even be able to feint and sneak attack a target which cannot normally be sneak attacked?

Would it be able to transfer over to his attack next turn?

Damascusxie on
    starlordsig1-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    So in order to feint and sneak attack a creature which could be sneak attacked, but currently is neither flanked nor relieved of it's dexterity bonus would be impossible unless the character in question took either the improved feint feat or be able to have two standard actions in one turn.

Something like that? ^_^

Damascusxie on
    starlordsig1-2.jpg
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    jdarksun wrote:
    So in order to feint and sneak attack a creature which could be sneak attacked, but currently is neither flanked nor relieved of it's dexterity bonus would be impossible unless the character in question took either the improved feint feat or be able to have two standard actions in one turn.

Something like that? ^_^
    Yup! :)
    This is incorrect.

If you feint against a creature, and you don't have improved feint, it loses its dex bonus against your next attack, provided it takes place within the next round. This can be an attack of opportunity, or on your next turn.

Keep in mind that the sense motive check made against this is modified by the opponent's base attack bonus.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    naporeonnaporeon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    EDIT: [snipt]

Ah, I see someone else has already quoted the SRD.

naporeon on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    This is what I get for glazing over the rules. Oh well...

Been some interisting situations tho.

Damascusxie on
    starlordsig1-2.jpg
  • Options
    DeepQantasDeepQantas Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Thanatos wrote:
    Keep in mind that the sense motive check made against this is modified by the opponent's base attack bonus.

Cyan'd for importance. :)

DeepQantas on
    m~
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    ...Wait what?

Where did this skill come into being? I'm not seeing it in the PHB...

MechMantis on
  • Options
    EffStarStarStarEffStarStarStar Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    MechMantis wrote:
    ...Wait what?

In the PHB, it starts at the bottom of the left colum on page 68 and continues in the right column.

EffStarStarStar on
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    MechMantis wrote:
    ...Wait what?

In the PHB, it starts at the bottom of the left colum on page 68 and continues in the right column.

Oh, that must be 3.5 then.

*has 3.0*

MechMantis on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    MechMantis wrote:
    MechMantis wrote:
    ...Wait what?

Oh, that must be 3.5 then.

*has 3.0*

It is in 3.0 as well. Read the description for the Bluff skill. The feat was named something else in 3.0 and it might have been in the Song and Silence book (or the warrior one, can't recall) but the bluff skill can definetly be used in the same way.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!