As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Finally a new [Android] Thread

• Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Help! I'm leaving Sprint and my S4 for Verizon. Problem is I'm not sure what phone to get. I want decent battery life as my S4 is almost dead after about 8 hours of streaming music and occasional text while at work. Just seems it should last longer. Other than that? I'm liking at the Note 4, S6 and not sure what else. Any recommendations? I stream music mostly with texting and forum reading. Occasional NetFlix viewing and very little gaming.

50433.png?1708759015
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Streaming music is one of the three hardest things you can do on a battery on a mobile phone (after gaming and streaming video). You're constantly hitting the wifi or 3/4G radios, which is a huge battery drain. I'm impressed the S4 would last that long even.

If you want max battery life on a phone on Verizon, your best bet is the Droid Turbo. I'd probably own one myself if they would actually sell that phone outside of the US (and Brazil, randomly)

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    So... Latest CyanogenMod vs Lolipop? Would I regain some performance if I switched from 5.1 to CyanogenMod?

KiTA on
  • SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    So my Verizon rep tells me that the $150 trade in for my S4 ends on Sunday, so it looks like I'm getting an S6 sometime this weekend.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    The S6 edge is a great phone. The curved edges feel very nice and give a cool "roller edge" feel like everything is on a scroll. The screen is unbelievably sharp and crisp. On a side by side of the iPhone 6 I could tell there was a difference. I haven't seen a pixel yet.

Of course if you're familiar with Android you'll know about that. What you might not know is that Samsung really improved TouchWiz. It's very fast and reaponsive. There is some bloatware you can't get rid of but it's nowhere near how it was in the past.

The edge contacts are very useful. The edge alarm clock is nice as well.

Battery life looks like a days worth of normal usage, but I suspect this is one of the weaker areas of the phone.

When you tilt the phone on the main screen you get a neat parallax effect on the background. It's functionally useless but I often find myself tilting the phone just to watch it.

The camera is amazing.

It's a great phone. People who can't do nonremovable batteries or who require SD cards will probably not enjoy the phone. If this isn't a big deal and you'd rather not go the iRoute, I can't recommend this phone enough.

I'm not a fan of no SD card, but I guess that means I'll just have to offload my pics and videos more often. I don't do a whole lot of apps, typically. On my 16GB S4, I have 4.96GB free space on the phone itself, and 36GB free on a 64GB card (59 usable), 10 of which is data from an old backup. I think a 32GB Edge will suit me fine. I just can't see spending an extra $100 for a 64GB version when I probably won't use the space.

edited May 2015
    yea, 32GB will be more than enough for you.

99% of the time people say they need an SD card it seems to be because they want to have everything with them all the time. I have a 32GB phone, and I'm 100% ok with only having say, 4-5GB of offline songs instead of my entire 40GB collection, etc.

that's not to say that there aren't legit uses for a phone with an SD card slot, but imo the vast majority of people could do just fine without.

Edit: also just want to point out that I think 32GB should be the minimum in phones now. putting 16GB is in planned obsolescence by phone makers now, as at the scale of say, apple, it's literally a few pennies to go from 16 to 32GB per phone. There is no excuse anymore.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Yeah with cloud solutions and the like I've been weaned off using my phone as storage. It's a really beautiful phone.

• Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Music especially.

Services like Google Music make SD cards unnecessary when looking at the music aspect of storage. Pictures I also struggle with understanding, G+ offers an auto cloud upload feature that is both secure and easy to use.

I keep my entire collection on a home server that uploads anything I put on it into my Google Music account. When I need music and don't want to eat data, I just create an instant mix and press "download to phone". In about 10-15 minutes I'm ready to rock. When I'm done with that mix, I just press "delete from phone" and in about 2 minutes whatever space that was eating up is free.

I don't pretend to know what you use your phone for, I just offer this anecdote up to hopefully show you that maybe a small change in how you approach your music and general data use could lower your concern for expanded storage.

I was like you, and thought it was the most important thing possible. I slammed a 64 into my S3 and was all about that space.

Then I never used it.

• firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    KiTA wrote: »
    So... Latest CyanogenMod vs Lolipop? Would I regain some performance if I switched from 5.1 to CyanogenMod?

I have CM12 on my 1+1 and I wouldn't recommend it, but I'm not informed enough to know what's different. I didn't like lolipop on my nexus4, so I don't really know why I upgraded. At some point I'll probably spend the time figuring out how to roll it back. The only thing I like is the google smart lock.

The upgrade also changed the "OK google" activation to "OK one plus" which is just so stupid.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    The SD card in my Galaxy S3 died and I didn't even bother to replace it.

My S4 has a 64gb card and I use it due to Sprint's shitty service and when I'm in the car I hate not having music available. I think I've decided to go with the 64gb S6 with Verizon. I think the 64 is probably overkill but without being able to use a sd card, I'm just making sure if I need to download my library again,I can.

50433.png?1708759015
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    I keep most of my mobile games on my 64gb. I play too many mobile games.

• SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    SeñorAmor wrote: »
    So my Verizon rep tells me that the $150 trade in for my S4 ends on Sunday, so it looks like I'm getting an S6 sometime this weekend.

Hmmm I should look into this. Is it a general thing?

E: my 32GB card is filled with music. I need lots of space and I don't really know how I feel about having my music on the cloud. Actually I don't know how I feel about not necessarily having access to all of my music at any given time.

SirToasty on
    SirToasty wrote: »

E: my 32GB card is filled with music. I need lots of space and I don't really know how I feel about having my music on the cloud. Actually I don't know how I feel about not necessarily having access to all of my music at any given time.

We have a corporate account for our phones at work, so that might be it, but there's also this:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/device-recycle/

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Yeah, I'm not comfortable with just saying "store everything in the cloud", because then if I want to access it I need decent 3G/4G reception to get to it, and my data charges go through the roof if I decide I want to stream my music (FLAC files). Whereas it was about $30 for a 32GB microSD card, and seeing as I bought a good one it's still going strong nearly 3 years later.

Yeah, I'm not comfortable with just saying "store everything in the cloud", because then if I want to access it I need decent 3G/4G reception to get to it, and my data charges go through the roof if I decide I want to stream my music (FLAC files). Whereas it was about $30 for a 32GB microSD card, and seeing as I bought a good one it's still going strong nearly 3 years later.

In your case I couldn't recommend it unless you were willing to fork out the $$$ for the 128 gig S6. For that price you could get an LG or something and about 10 SD cards.

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Is there any difference between the s6 and the edge? I have done a little research and as far as I can tell it is an extra $100 for a curved edge. Am I missing something?

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Nope, that's pretty much it. Just the curved edge and some software tweaks to make use of it.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    I should probably wait til after I/O to get a new phone, huh? At least see what is in the pipeline.

Really envious of my wive's Turbo, but it already 6 months old, and with the way smartphones are, that's kinda long in the tooth.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    So has anybody with a Nexus 9 actually had 5.1.1 drop for them yet? It still doesn't seem to want to come up on the system update check for me at least.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    furlion wrote: »
    Is there any difference between the s6 and the edge? I have done a little research and as far as I can tell it is an extra $100 for a curved edge. Am I missing something?

There's a couple software tweaks and additions like a night clock, news feeds, and glowing edges if your phone is upside down when cretin people call.

It feels a lot different. I actually prefer the screen shape for scrolling up and down and swiping.

• CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I should have said it in my previous post, but my coworker has an Edge and it's a nice phone. However, I personally don't feel it's worth the extra $100 over the normal S6. It's a neat feature and if you find the extra apps that use the curve useful/cool buy one. If in the return period you find them nothing more than a neat gimmick take it back and get the normal S6.

A question for anyone with an S6/Edge: does you phone get really warm after only using it for a few minutes? My coworker's does and I'm not sure if it's due to the metal edge being used to dissipate heat or if there's something wrong with her phone. Her Edge has a terrible time staying connected to the wifi network at work and is constantly switching between it and mobile data, so that may be contributing to the extra heat output.

We're using the standard Time Warner Business wifi router and it's a real piece of crap. I walk 15 feet from it around a corner and my Moto X loses almost all connection to it.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    furlion wrote: »

There's a couple software tweaks and additions like a night clock, news feeds, and glowing edges if your phone is upside down when cretin people call.

It feels a lot different. I actually prefer the screen shape for scrolling up and down and swiping.

The S6 standard uses some lesser quality materials in the build (especially the metal around the body) and feels a tad 'toyish' in the hand to hold. The edge does feel like a next gen device and has that premium feel to it, but also feels far more delicate for it.

To each their own. imo most phones don't have good enough audio processing to make streaming lossless audio kind of...pointless. And more and more people are getting away from the mentality of "I need to have everything with me all the time" For me that ship sailed when I realized my music collection was 100+GB. a) it's simply not practical to carry all of that around and b) I'm literally never going to listen to it all in one go ever.

So, I have about a thousand songs on my device. If I can't find something I want to listen to out of a thousand songs there's something wrong with me and it's not about the number of songs i have access to.

That being said, if having the lossless audio is really that important to you, a phone with fixed storage may not be the best choice. And hey, at least in the android world we do have choice.

Cormac wrote: »
    I should have said it in my previous post, but my coworker has an Edge and it's a nice phone. However, I personally don't feel it's worth the extra $100 over the normal S6. It's a neat feature and if you find the extra apps that use the curve useful/cool buy one. If in the return period you find them nothing more than a neat gimmick take it back and get the normal S6.

A question for anyone with an S6/Edge: does you phone get really warm after only using it for a few minutes? My coworker's does and I'm not sure if it's due to the metal edge being used to dissipate heat or if there's something wrong with her phone. Her Edge has a terrible time staying connected to the wifi network at work and is constantly switching between it and mobile data, so that may be contributing to the extra heat output.

We're using the standard Time Warner Business wifi router and it's a real piece of crap. I walk 15 feet from it around a corner and my Moto X loses almost all connection to it.

The switch might be doing it. I haven't had that issue with it. Even playing games only gets it moderately warm.

And yeah I can definitely see this phone not being for everyone. I just love vertical scrolling with it by running the side of my finger down the edge. It's very tactile.

• KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    So I need to record a meeting at work in a few days, what is a good audio notetaking app? Preferably one I can enable then not have to fiddle with until after the speaker is done.

• CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    KiTA wrote: »
    So I need to record a meeting at work in a few days, what is a good audio notetaking app? Preferably one I can enable then not have to fiddle with until after the speaker is done.

I heard about Cogi a while back from an Android podcast I listen to. Supposed to be pretty great, although I haven't used it myself. Lifehacker did a short review-thing and listed a few others you can check out.

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    I should probably wait til after I/O to get a new phone, huh? At least see what is in the pipeline.

Really envious of my wive's Turbo, but it already 6 months old, and with the way smartphones are, that's kinda long in the tooth.

I will say that they don't usually announce new phones at I/O. This year will probably be a new Moto 360 (and other wearables), Chromebooks, and Android M stuff.

The last few Nexus announcements have been in late October, and I don't really expect that to change this year. Moto and Google are pretty much it among the major Android brands announcing in the Fall, IIRC.

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I'm waiting for a new Android thread to show up soon, since we passed 100 pages.

Apparently there was a leak last week that LG is working on the next Nexus 5. I haven't heard anything confirmed, that I could find from casual googling.

Mugsley wrote: »
    I'm waiting for a new Android thread to show up soon, since we passed 100 pages.

Apparently there was a leak last week that LG is working on the next Nexus 5. I haven't heard anything confirmed, that I could find from casual googling.

I've learned to pretty much ignore every single rumour about nexus devices. Unless there's an actual leaked picture, pretty much every one has always been wrong.

Honestly, I kinda hope Sony makes the next Nexus phone. I've been pretty happy with my Z3, and the reviews of the rest of the Z line have been pretty solid.

工事中
    Naphtali wrote: »
    So has anybody with a Nexus 9 actually had 5.1.1 drop for them yet? It still doesn't seem to want to come up on the system update check for me at least.

5.1.1 finally downloaded to the tablet last night, I installed it before bed so I didn't get a chance to play with it yet.

• DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    E: Dresden Files crosspost

Delmain on
    @Delmain you feeling okay bud

want to talk about it?

• SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    @Delmain you feeling okay bud

want to talk about it?

I think he was warning against using his true name. . .Which you did.

This might not end well.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Sorry, I have no idea how I posted that to the Android thread instead of the Dresden Files one... I literally tabbed away and found the picture, came back and hit post.

Got my new S6 and Lollipop yesterday. I'm on Verizon and not sure if it makes a difference, but I can't find the Priority Sound option. Also, is there anyway to turn off the lockscreen notification from my alarm clock but not block my alarm clock from working? I use Alarm Clock Xtreme, and have for many years back when the stock Alarm wasn't any good. Haven't checked to see if the newest stock does what I want though.

50433.png?1708759015
    Priority mode is under Interruptions in the Sound and Notifications setting. It's a little confusing, to be honest. You can also trigger it by hitting one of the physical volume buttons and selecting the star in the popup.

工事中
    edited May 2015
    Cokebotle wrote: »
    Priority mode is under Interruptions in the Sound and Notifications setting. It's a little confusing, to be honest. You can also trigger it by hitting one of the physical volume buttons and selecting the star in the popup.

For some reason, Verizon 5.0.2 has Do Not Disturb instead. Took a bit of fiddling to make sure my alarm will go off but only favorite contracts will get through as well.

Banzai5150 on
    50433.png?1708759015
This discussion has been closed.