As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

ROBERT KHOO is LEX KHOOTHOR in Batman v. Scalperman: The Search for More Money

2»

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    half the reason i'm working toward starting my own game studio is to get exhibitor badges for PAX instead of having to beg for regular tickets like a Dickensian street urchin

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2015
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    JoeUser wrote: »
    I'm hoping that with South a success, the "increasing supply" part will finally start to take hold here in the US. It would probably help if South could attract the same exhibitors Prime does, though. (I heard East was kinda scarce in this regard as well this year, but I'm not sure if that's normal or not for East?)
    January and March are right after the big holiday season where most devs have nothing major to show or announce until closer to the next holiday season.

Prime, on the other hand, is right before the holiday season hits, meaning they can announce big stuff that either will be sold that season or just miss it. Further, a lot of the crap that got announced at E3 will be playable on the expo floor. It's just a matter of how the industry works each year.

This isn't necessarily a bad thing, as it means South and East can give indie developers a greater opportunity to be noticed since they don't tend to let the holiday season affect their schedule as much. Not to mention non-electronic stuff like board games and RPGs get to shine a bit more.

Also, I feel like going to PAX to play the next big AAA title is spending a lot of time and money to sit in a line for six hours just to play a maybe thirty minute demo is not all that wise?

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    yeah I've only ever gone to PAX (East) once but the goal was not to play games.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    You can have a grand time at PAX playing games...just with people you're hanging out with.

Tabletop at PAX is great!

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    At both PAXes I've been to, most of the Exhibition Hall was an inconvenience I had to endure on the way to more important places. And then there was some cool stuff in the Indy sections.

If I'm hyped enough for a game that I'd be tempted to wait in line for longer than 15 minutes and play a demo, then I've probably already pre-ordered it, and therefore the value of the demo is wasted.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    Josiah_9Josiah_9 Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    yeah I've only ever gone to PAX (East) once but the goal was not to play games.

Nope, just falling asleep in the shower.

Saturate.jpg
  • Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    I've never been to the other PAX locations, but South was fun. I have zero desire to stand in line for a AAA games with a hour plus wait. I could be checking out indie games, or attending panels!

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    Buy an off shore oil rig, declare sovereignty as the nation of PAX

All the overpriced convention center hot dogs you can eat

we pull in money, recruits, just to combat scalpers.

rubbing our noses in bloody esports dirt.

all for video games.

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Tube wrote: »
    Someone for real suggested a 24/7 year round PAX once

So, a Gamestop.

Those are neither 24/7 nor anything like PAX

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    JoeUser wrote: »
    I'm hoping that with South a success, the "increasing supply" part will finally start to take hold here in the US. It would probably help if South could attract the same exhibitors Prime does, though. (I heard East was kinda scarce in this regard as well this year, but I'm not sure if that's normal or not for East?)
    January and March are right after the big holiday season where most devs have nothing major to show or announce until closer to the next holiday season.

Prime, on the other hand, is right before the holiday season hits, meaning they can announce big stuff that either will be sold that season or just miss it. Further, a lot of the crap that got announced at E3 will be playable on the expo floor. It's just a matter of how the industry works each year.

This isn't necessarily a bad thing, as it means South and East can give indie developers a greater opportunity to be noticed since they don't tend to let the holiday season affect their schedule as much. Not to mention non-electronic stuff like board games and RPGs get to shine a bit more.

Also, I feel like going to PAX to play the next big AAA title is spending a lot of time and money to sit in a line for six hours just to play a maybe thirty minute demo is not all that wise?

Don't get me wrong, I had a ton of fun at South. I just sort of missed the, well, spectacle of Prime. It's not even that I necessarily care about huge AAA titles. (I mean, thinking on it my most anticipated thing for Prime is that I'm really hoping Harmonix will be there with Rock Band 4.) But it's neat to see the Big 3 and the big publishers there with their metaphorical guns blazing.

I'm (probably) going to Prime this year, but considering where my usual PAX buddies are located I suspect South will become my main show. It'll be interesting to see how it evolves.

• Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    If I could not deal with the main expo floor at all I think that would be my ideal PAX convention.

The past couple primes have been that by default because I couldn't buy passes anyways.

Also, maybe everyone at the office should shave their heads?

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    I just started listening to this week's staff podcast to see if Robert's hair (or lack thereof) comes up.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I really enjoyed the one PAX I went to, but I think I had more fun outside the con then in the convention hall itself.

I haven't even tried to get tickets these last few years though, too much work for me. I've shifted into boardgames over videogames anyway, so small local boardgame cons where I can still get tickets a week before they start ard muxh more my speed.

I've become an old man. :P

• Options
    CptKemzikCptKemzik Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Going to PAX east these past two years on Sunday, with the main intent of checking out indie-developed games, has been relatively hassle-free and resulted in a decent amount of time spent playing new/upcoming games that I otherwise would have never bothered to learn about. Granted, I have the luxury of being less than an hour from Boston proper.

I've only ever gawked at the massive displays for big-budget titles when I attend, but waiting in lines to play those seems more tedious and chore-like than what the event is intended to be.

CptKemzik on
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    honestly i enjoy just walking through or by the main exhibit hall but never really to browse in it. seeing the spectacle is fun from a distance. maybe going through some of the less trafficked vendor areas.

definitely was cool to check out stuff like Spy Party though, in part because @World as Myth is (was?) part of their team.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    If PAX demand is so huge, then why not do the "make it worse" option, but good, in the form of a compartmentalized mini PAX? Some aspects of PAX should be modular right

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    I am going to the pax prime thing for the first time in ever this year and I'm pretty excited I guess! I've never been to a convention for fun things!

Well except one time when I was a kid and my dad took me to IAAPA and I played Q-Zar before anyone had ever heard of it and my friends didn't believe me until I showed them a picture of 12 year old me and the Q-Zar booth ladies my dad took but I digress.

I don't really care about standing in line to play videogames, but after meeting a few pax-ers over the years, I'm really looking forward to meeting people with similar interests. As much as I love all my friends, no one I know gives a fig about gaming, and I rarely (if ever) find an opportunity to bullshit about games.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Radius wrote: »

Hot dogs? You can find food at your convention center that isn't Taco Del Mar or Subway?

At Prime there's this really nice place with like...food and smoothies and stuff.

I have no clue what it was called, all I remember is the spice/herb smell and delicious fruity cold drink.

• Options
    NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    Fyndir wrote: »
    Radius wrote: »

Hot dogs? You can find food at your convention center that isn't Taco Del Mar or Subway?

At Prime there's this really nice place with like...food and smoothies and stuff.

I have no clue what it was called, all I remember is the spice/herb smell and delicious fruity cold drink.

Juicy! It's the best

• Options
    BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    edited May 2015
    I love going to the various PAXes to spend time with my friends. What ever we end up doing, whether it's hanging out playing board games, grabbing drinks, telling stories, etc. it's always been a blast with you guys.

I guess if I didn't have E3 to go to every year, I'd be a lot more interested in the expo hall games. But for me, PAX is completely about being with and catching up with you great folk.

Bogey on
    Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Bogey continually lifts me up and spins me around every time I meet him, it's pretty great.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    jelly