As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WOW] Look at me, I'm flying ! Woooo ! (after the servers come up)

FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?"Registered User regular
edited September 2015 in MMO Extravaganza
LEGION announced as the next WOW expansion. Go here for the LEGION page: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/legion/

Note the Beta Opt In button at the top left of the LEGION menu.

Here's the LEGION trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=47&v=N6CWue7voA0

And the "Cinematic Teaser": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmHY6hERT3s

New Zone= Broken Isles

New Class= Demon Hunter

Level Cap of 110, includes a character boost to 100.

No weapon drops, instead every class will have a single persistent Artifact weapon that they can develop with drops or quest rewards throughout the expansion.

Class-specific order halls and followers, sort of a modified garrison.

No release date yet, but if you count forward six months from an open Beta announcement at Blizzcon in November, that would be April, 2016 ?

Patch 6.2.2 will arrive on September 1, bringing Draenor flying with it. Get to work on those achievements, people ! http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/19820046/

Patch 6.2 Notes. Tanaan Jungle, ahoy ! http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/18539917/62-ptr-patch-notes-4-13-2015
It will arrive on June 23. http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/4968-Patch-6-2-Fury-of-Hellfire-Arrives-June-23

Here's the WARLORDS site: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/warlords-of-draenor/

Fairchild on

• FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Yes, @Kai_San I'd say that's pretty much their plan going forward; to squish every expac. It's stupid in my opinion.

I don't see why they didn't scale back ilvl differences when they implemented Flex. You essentially removed a difficulty level.

• TakelTakel Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    The item level formula is 1.01^(new ilvl-old ilvl). The value of a ilvel is always the same, no matter how big the ilvl numbers get. The jump from 200 to 284 is exactly the same as the jump from 600 to 684. 84 ilvls make the new gear 2.306 times better than old gear.

And Dhal is using WoLK numbers for comparison, which is where ilvl inflation started kicking in. The difference between dungeon gear(ilvl 60) in vanilla and tier 3 40 man Nax gear(88) was 28. The difference between BC dungeon gear(ilvl 115 and tier 6(the last tier gear in BC, ilvl 146), is 31. For comparison, the jump from WoD Dungeon gear to Highmaul normal is 25.

WoLK started inflating ilvls as part of separating 10/25 man raids, and WoW keeps inflating ilvls to make raiders happy, as they did to Black Foundry gear. Meanwhile, Raid gear trivializes everything isn't a raid because a fully kitted raider does 2 times the DPS of someone sitting in dungeon blues. Blizzard cannot make content that's challenging both to a non-raider and someone who raids, because they're not even close to the same numbers. It's a problem, and it's largely easily fixable, but the fix never going happen.

FFXIV has ilevel scaling even for it's hard mode dungeons, such that pieces of gear above ilevel xxx are scaled down to xxx, and it works fine.

Add badges back in (not points, but the once per week per boss badges), add in vanity drops (hell, they could add decorations that you put up in your garrison like the furniture from wildstar or FFXIV). Add in more 5 mans. Add in ilevel scaling. Add in incentives for tanks and healers to throw themselves into the queues. Make 5 mans a thing again. Lots of people would love the hell out of that.
    To be fair though, that's also to help undergeared players especially from being totally outclassed by more established players. If any of my DPS jobs were to open up on a mob without being ilvl capped in a tier 1 dungeon and the tank was a fresh 50, there's no way in hell they'll be able to hold aggro even if I didn't pop cool downs. At least being ilvl restricted means they have a fighting chance and I'd be able to hold back without doing something as silly as hit, wait 5 seconds, hit again.

Kai_San wrote: »
    Soooo gear stats scale exponentially but ilvl goes up at a higher rate?

They are going to need a new stat squish almost every expansion at some point. Cause thats just an insanely out of control formula. Though I guess it does make sense.

The worst part of widening the ilvl gaps is you just can't go backwards from it anymore. If you start giving smaller ilvl increases again it seems like there is no progression anymore because players are used to noticing the change.
    From the point of view of someone who's sat out the past two expansions (MoP was my last after spending about 1-2 months in it), I put some of the blame on the set bonuses and the design of proc-based itemisation. Some procs or bonuses are just so darn powerful you'll sit out on half a set of gear until you got another set bonus plus the stat gains in the higher ilvl gear outweighed it, or you simply didn't have a viable replacement for the entire expansion. So, the ilvl inflation became necessary to get people to stop farming older tier content for those juicy set bonuses or procs.

Again from an outsider's point of view, I kind of feel that the removal of hit is actually a missed opportunity. Hit can be a great way to prod people to get higher tier gear if the hit requirements increased with every tier of content and also provides a soak for stat points which won't turn lower level content into a complete lolfest since being over hit cap does nothing to your damage output. Whether or not that's actually feasible to do with WoW's engine and design, that's another question but IMHO it's interesting food for thought on what if you had increasing hit requirements for every tier, or possibly even within a tier itself as well.
    Of course, it's not a clear cut design decision. There is a possibility that when faced with such a design, players may complain that they feel compelled to put hit above all else when facing new content and that's a "boring" decision to make, much like the original reasoning in removing it in the first place because getting the requisite +6.x% to-hit then dance around the cap was a no brainer.

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    The large number of secondary stats is to blame, as well.

If you make the ilevel gap too small, you stand a chance at having a really well itemized pair of boots in tier X, to actually be better than a poorly itemized pair of boots from tier Y.

• Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Their whole balancing direction is just wrong.

For instance, why does each class and spec have a 'best' secondary? All you are doing is making a bigger issue for youself (and also making gearing boring so why bother with secondaries at all then).

They actually did a good job of making every point of MS, Crit, and in many cases Mastery equal. Haste is hard to do this with but it could be done. Then of course there is always the up and down involved in how getting a ton of one stat starts making obtaining another one valueable. But still.

This way there is actually a POINT to having different stats on different gear - choice. Its downright stupid to have one stat setup be vastly superior then give people a bunch of gear without the stat.

Also easy way to encourage geared players to do dungeons - tie bonus roll acquisition to them. I can't see a negative there.

• Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    The whole idea of the "attunement" secondary is to give players something they can vaguely aim at without a guide. "My specialization gets 10% more haste, so I should stack haste. Okay". Itemization for your character is still a "skill".

Does that work? Who can say. What overlap of people are disinterested in looking at a guide yet they will read through their passive abilities in their spellbook?

There's nothing really wrong with attunement stats. Min-maxing theory crafters are always going to put forward a "best stat" for a specialization that people will aim for. @Kai_San there has always been a superior stat setup for every class in every expansion. It's like having the Dungeon Journal. That stuff was always online on fansites. Now it is in the game itself where you can more easily reference it once you know it is there.

I like gearing in this expansion as you more or less engage with it as you see fit. Don't care too much? Stack your attunement and do what you do. Otherwise read a guide and figure out what the best secondaries are other than your attunement stat. There are very wrong gearing choices (just ask Mistweaving Monks how much they like Mastery. Folks say it is worth a fourth as much as Multistrtike) so choice does matter. Something I like about gear in this expansion is how gear can influence play-style and options. Shadow Priests can make their level 100 talent, Auspicious Spirits, extremely powerful by stacking crit. Alternatively they can stack mastery and focus on single-target damage with Clarity of Power as their talent. The two have pretty different damage rotations and strengths in the same specialization. Mistweavers can have a core skills, Renewing Mists, not go on cooldown based on their multi-strike. Your engagement with the mechanic changes based on your itemization.

The best itemization changes the way your skills work in addition to how hard they hit. Not all classes have this. The ugly flip side is sitting there wondering "do I have enough stat to try this playstyle?" or "I didn't get any drops with crit, I'd be better off doing a different specialization that I like less". That's the problem with choice tied to luck (drops). There's gotta be wrong choices. You don't know if the drops you get will support the right choices. Yet the game isn't tuned around people making the perfect choices constantly.

Corp.Shephard on
    The whole idea of the "attunement" secondary is to give players something they can vaguely aim at without a guide. "My specialization gets 10% more haste, so I should stack haste. Okay". Itemization for your character is still a "skill".

Does that work? Who can say. What overlap of people are disinterested in looking at a guide yet they will read through their passive abilities in their spellbook?

There's nothing really wrong with attunement stats. Min-maxing theory crafters are always going to put forward a "best stat" for a specialization that people will aim for. @Kai_San there has always been a superior stat setup for every class in every expansion. It's like having the Dungeon Journal. That stuff was always online on fansites. Now it is in the game itself where you can more easily reference it once you know it is there.

I like gearing in this expansion as you more or less engage with it as you see fit. Don't care too much? Stack your attunement and do what you do. Otherwise read a guide and figure out what the best secondaries are other than your attunement stat. There are very wrong gearing choices (just ask Mistweaving Monks how much they like Mastery. Folks say it is worth a fourth as much as Multistrtike) so choice does matter. Something I like about gear in this expansion is how gear can influence play-style and options. Shadow Priests can make their level 100 talent, Auspicious Spirits, extremely powerful by stacking crit. Alternatively they can stack mastery and focus on single-target damage with Clarity of Power as their talent. The two have pretty different damage rotations and strengths in the same specialization. Mistweavers can have a core skills, Renewing Mists, not go on cooldown based on their multi-strike. Your engagement with the mechanic changes based on your itemization.

The best itemization changes the way your skills work in addition to how hard they hit. Not all classes have this. The ugly flip side is sitting there wondering "do I have enough stat to try this playstyle?" or "I didn't get any drops with crit, I'd be better off doing a different specialization that I like less". That's the problem with choice tied to luck (drops). There's gotta be wrong choices. You don't know if the drops you get will support the right choices. Yet the game isn't tuned around people making the perfect choices constantly.

It definitely does not work. Half the time, your attuned stat isn't actually the best, like with combat rogues, who actually want multistrike, instead of haste. And the actual bonus is so hidden anyway, baked into a random passive for each spec, that it doesn't do new players any good.

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Or Shadow Priests, where it changes between mastery and crit depending on the level 100 talent you take. Our attunement's freaking haste for some reason.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Yeah. It annoys me that resto shaman attunement is mastery, but at least it's our second best stat

No see what is happening is not choice. Sure it's kind of a guide but that's just a cop out to make balancing easier by not needing to worry about what is best because they force you into it. And still fail at it according to javen which btw that's good to hear cause now I don't need to feel bad about just using ms because of sub.

It is possible to balance the stats enough that normal players do not need to give a shit about the min maxers finding a 0.5% diff. You just need to do something about those unbalancable masteries.

• Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    The majority of specializations go for their attunement though. Even Combat Rogues seem to measure that Haste and Multi-strike are roughly equal in value. edit: The post says Haste has been popped back to the top with some sort of bugfix but I have no rogue.

I play Disc Priest which tends to value Mastery over our attunement, Crit. Crit is pretty close runner up though. Your attunement stat is almost always in the top 2 best stats for your class which, given that each item has two secondaries most of the time, is still a good guideline for players to follow.

I won't argue that hiding it in the spellbook behind a passive is really awful for new players. I appreciate it though whenever I am on an alt or I switch to a rarely-used specialization. It is easy enough for me to reference. Blizzard could do good work by making your attunement more prominent in the spellbook. First page treatment with maybe a border. I still think it is a good idea.

So the best choice for you @Kai_San is that all stats are within ~1% of each other? Every stat is extremely close in value for all classes? I see that as the opposite of choice. There's no wrong choice. Everything is basically right. You just pick up whatever the highest item level gear is and go (which is actually how it works right now with the strength of primary stats).

Do you run tests or experiment with gear to figure out what statistic is best? I am not interested in that sort of exploration of stats and I am more than willing to just look it up. Attunement makes that information easier to reference than ever before in the game.

Corp.Shephard on
    But that would be the good thing. Players who do not want to study do not have to - they just take upgrades. Meanwhile you can pick to emphasize which stat you enjoy the most. Ideally though, you would have each stat affect some aspect of the class differently so playstyle changes based on which one you are stacking. Then the choice has an impact on your play.

Either way though some people enjoy the style of certain stats over others. Sometimes its not just about being the best.

• InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    Removing LFR tier sets is really my biggest beef. That and making LFR a loot piñata. There is a balance they could have made that they didn't.

That and for all of their sever combines and wanting to get people out in the world, the garrison effectively removed that. Same with the removal dailies. I can't remember the last time I've left my garrison since building the auction bot. I've leveled two characters to 95 just through garrison missions.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Javen wrote: »

If you make the ilevel gap too small, you stand a chance at having a really well itemized pair of boots in tier X, to actually be better than a poorly itemized pair of boots from tier Y.

why is that inherently a bad thing though?

Dragonspine Trophy from Gruul was near best in slot for melee DPS in TBC, even into Sunwell.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    So my 1 night a week guild just had a night 2.5 hr H BRF where we cleared 9/10H farm content, then with our remaining 30 mins decided to go and knock over some Mythic Highmaul bosses, instead of bashing on blackhand. We oneshot Kargath and got Mythic Butcher to 15% on the second attempt. Pretty trivial content now. Just being 1/7M now as well as 9/10H puts us top 20 on our realm, well ahead of many multi-night guilds. This will make recruiting much easier.

Dhalphir wrote: »
    Javen wrote: »

why is that inherently a bad thing though?

Dragonspine Trophy from Gruul was near best in slot for melee DPS in TBC, even into Sunwell.

Maybe not, but they've spoken directly about it in the past, that it's s problem and forces people to get really deep into the math or use external sites to gear themselves.

I dunno, I never saw why they thought using external sites was a problem. The people who want to gear optimally are always going to use external sites ANYWAY because that's just how they roll. They enjoy it. And the people who don't care won't care regardless.

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »
    No see what is happening is not choice. Sure it's kind of a guide but that's just a cop out to make balancing easier by not needing to worry about what is best because they force you into it. And still fail at it according to javen which btw that's good to hear cause now I don't need to feel bad about just using ms because of sub.

It is possible to balance the stats enough that normal players do not need to give a shit about the min maxers finding a 0.5% diff. You just need to do something about those unbalancable masteries.

There'd be no point in having them then.

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Something I wouldn't mind is work on specs so they don't require a specific stat to actually come online correctly.

Like, say, how Fire always has a tough time until they get enough crit to actually work.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Fire isn't stupid because of the crit dependence now, since they added the stacking crit buff every time you hit with Fireball. Fire is stupid because Fireball does shit all damage, and all of Fire's damage is entirely loaded into Pyroblast and Combustion. And every time Fire gets too strong (because it's a stupid design) what do they do? Nerf Fireball or Combustion. Every time it's too weak, they buff Pyroblast. It's fucking stupid. Stop loading all the damage into a spell that not only does more damage/crits more often as you get higher stats, but also gets cast a LOT more as you get higher stats.

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I think maybe it's time that the structure of the game just try something drastically different as a whole. This Timewalking thing is a step in the right direction in my opinion.

I think it would be great if every 5 man instance in the game had a current max level version that was slightly more difficult than Heroic but just slightly, so they'd be doable by people in full 630s for example with some difficulty, by just paying attention to CCs and mechanics, but they wouldn't scale anything down like Challenge Modes.

Anyway, have this difficulty just go ahead and give out tokens or currencies that can be exchanged for gear equivalent to current Normal raid tier. So right now I'd go so far as to say that should be 670 because of the ilevel disparity between Highmaul and Foundry, and when Hellfire comes out, it could give whatever Hellfire Normal would give at the start. And the instances their selves could drop Raid Finder level gear.

Just let people queue up randomly for any 5 man instance in the history of WoW and grind out gear that way if they want to. I think that would be fucking awesome.

Also, if you don't *need* the gear, let the currency be exchanged for shit you do need, like Flasks, Potions, Runes, and Food.

Also end instance bosses should have a super rare chance to drop a piece of gear scaled to heroic. In an item cache kind of way. You get a token and click on it and it becomes a piece of gear for your class/spec yadda yadda.

Then at different points in the week let this random mode offer special bonus bags from instance end bosses, with gold and a chance for toys, or battle pets, or mounts, or fun boss transmog gear, or mounts, or something new.

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I don't have the info in front of me, but I think that Enh attunement stat is Multistrike; even though we want Haste over everything until we hit the 50% (buffed) softcap.

edited May 2015
    i actually just found out today that the misprinted draenic coins i've been getting are currency for heirlooms, so that's cool

apparently you only get them from completing a daily heroic, and they reward the 90-100 upgrade tokens for heirlooms, which otherwise cost several thousand gold apiece

so that's pretty nice, really.

Dhalphir on
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    i actually just found out today that the misprinted draenic coins i've been getting are currency for heirlooms, so that's cool

apparently you only get them from completing a daily heroic, and they reward the 90-100 upgrade tokens for heirlooms, which otherwise cost several thousand gold apiece

Yeah, but as far as I know, you can only do those quests for the coins once per character. Took me a few weeks overall to complete everything on my character.

• DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Is there still no PA guild? I came back for a bit during Mists and got invited to a random person in here's guild, but he quit playing and it got real awkward for me, so I did to.

Anyone looking a dude? I have no idea what's happened in WoW since Cataclysm (and that includes the fact that I have a kitted out Warlock from SoO, I didn't understand any of it then), but I'm real bored

SteevL wrote: »

Yeah, but as far as I know, you can only do those quests for the coins once per character. Took me a few weeks overall to complete everything on my character.

is there one quest for each item, one armor one weapon quest? because I turned one in yesterday but today was getting draenic coins still

• OptyOpty Registered User regular
    There's a total of 4 quests requiring a total of 90 tokens all together and dungeons generally give out an amount of tokens equal to the amount of bosses in the dungeon. You get a 90 armor token, a 100 armor token, a 90 weapon token, and a 100 weapon token from the quests respectively and the tokens don't stop dropping when you finish.

• crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    Delmain wrote: »
    Is there still no PA guild? I came back for a bit during Mists and got invited to a random person in here's guild, but he quit playing and it got real awkward for me, so I did to.

Anyone looking a dude? I have no idea what's happened in WoW since Cataclysm (and that includes the fact that I have a kitted out Warlock from SoO, I didn't understand any of it then), but I'm real bored

I believe shambler milk is still about?

I've been playing with @Mugsley and @Aegis most recently.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I think people kinda radically overestimate the amount of thought that needs to go into gearing

in 98% of situations a higher ilvl piece is just going to be better; when considering equal ilvl pieces you're choosing between 2-3, and you pick the one that either has your attuned stat or is a tier piece. You can construct a scenario where a lower-ilvl piece has ideal stats and the higher ilvl piece has terrible stats, but in practice that's hardly ever the case even when considering warforged stuff. Secondary stats are weighted closely enough that getting into the scale factor weeds isn't really necessary (I agree that spriests getting haste is dumb though.)

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Opty wrote: »
    There's a total of 4 quests requiring a total of 90 tokens all together and dungeons generally give out an amount of tokens equal to the amount of bosses in the dungeon. You get a 90 armor token, a 100 armor token, a 90 weapon token, and a 100 weapon token from the quests respectively and the tokens don't stop dropping when you finish.

I could have sworn I stopped getting them when I finished. There doesn't seem to be any way to turn in any extras you might have after doing all the quests too.

• DelmainDelmain Registered User regular

I've been playing with Mugsley and Aegis most recently.

Where at? I'll have a 90 boost to use

• crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular

I've been playing with Mugsley and Aegis most recently.

Where at? I'll have a 90 boost to use
    Kul'Tiras

• LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    Shambler Milk are over on Cho'Gall, if you wanna hang with the SE++ crew.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    Opty wrote: »

I could have sworn I stopped getting them when I finished. There doesn't seem to be any way to turn in any extras you might have after doing all the quests too.

They might have fixed it then. I haven't done a single daily heroic since so I wouldn't know.

• AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    I think people kinda radically overestimate the amount of thought that needs to go into gearing

in 98% of situations a higher ilvl piece is just going to be better; when considering equal ilvl pieces you're choosing between 2-3, and you pick the one that either has your attuned stat or is a tier piece. You can construct a scenario where a lower-ilvl piece has ideal stats and the higher ilvl piece has terrible stats, but in practice that's hardly ever the case even when considering warforged stuff. Secondary stats are weighted closely enough that getting into the scale factor weeds isn't really necessary (I agree that spriests getting haste is dumb though.)

The one situation I've run into where it was an interesting choice was: Set of Boots with Avoidance versus Warforged Set of Identical Boots except without Avoidance.

The tradeoff there was a miniscule dps loss versus a gain of 5% aoe damage reduction, which for ranged is effectively everything.

But yea, ilvl typically wins out.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    Aegis wrote: »
    The tradeoff there was a miniscule dps loss versus a gain of 5% aoe damage reduction, which for ranged is effectively everything.

Alternatively, Not Sucking (tm) provides a 100% aoe damage reduction

so there's that

;)

Aegis wrote: »

Alternatively, Not Sucking (tm) provides a 100% aoe damage reduction

so there's that

;)

Not all aoe damage is avoidable.

the anthem of the fire stander

No, like, there are aoe attacks that always hit the entire raid (the raidwide portions of gruul's smash and pin down, earth-shattering collision, iron bellow, blast wave, firestorm, stone breath, demolition). I think avoidance works on those too because it's based on the same system that keeps your pets from dying from raid bosses.

This discussion has been closed.