As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

VROOOM PSH VRROOOOOM [Car thread]

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    The exhaust note is the worst part of 6 cylinder Porsches. They blare instead of growling. Many modern Ferrari V8's, too. Compare the sound of a 348 against a 430 and the difference is like night and day.

• CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I'll admit to not liking the sound of Porsche 911 race cars, but I do like the sound of their road cars. However, I prefer the sound of turbo inline 5's, V8's, and the Audi/Lambo V10's much much more.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Inline 5s at full song are glorious.

On another note, must see new Mad Max.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    H&H have been making those things for at least a decade, they call them Ripsaw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HyZ-raQseg

I didn't realize they had been around for so long. Still really cool though.

• Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Spoilers: they won that challenge, and DARPA is building automated drone tanks now

• I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    OK, I have an extremely strange problem, and googling hasn't come up with any results: I have an '02 Camry with the factory radio/CD player. The past two days the buttons on the face of the radio don't work. The radio will play, you can turn it off and on and adjust the volume, and all of our presets are still programmed (although the preset buttons don't work). And if you press the 'Mode' knob the radio will seek downwards. We've had no electrical problems with the car, but this past weekend my brother was under the hood looking for the source of an oil leak.

Anybody ran into a similar problem?

I Zimbra wrote: »
    OK, I have an extremely strange problem, and googling hasn't come up with any results: I have an '02 Camry with the factory radio/CD player. The past two days the buttons on the face of the radio don't work. The radio will play, you can turn it off and on and adjust the volume, and all of our presets are still programmed (although the preset buttons don't work). And if you press the 'Mode' knob the radio will seek downwards. We've had no electrical problems with the car, but this past weekend my brother was under the hood looking for the source of an oil leak.

Anybody ran into a similar problem?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0072LB27U/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIGVG3_BYBI

• I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    I was afraid that was the answer. Oh well, it'll be nice to have an aux jack.

• DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    Saw this in the Subaru subreddit.

61yP6mB.jpg

I WANT! I couldn't haul shit in it, but I don't care cause it'd be so much fun.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2015
    http://techdrive.co/FTC-Tesla

FTC rules in favor of Tesla for direct to consumer sales

zerzhul on
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2015
    Hmm... I am now questioning the original article, as the only thing I have found so far on the FTC webpage is a blog entry about it https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/blogs/competition-matters/2015/05/direct-consumer-auto-sales-its-not-just-about-tesla

Either way, it's good, I guess? but it may not be as good as I had thought.

Ah, here we go, something more concrete
    https://www.ftc.gov/system/files/documents/advocacy_documents/ftc-staff-comment-regarding-michigan-senate-bill-268-which-would-create-limited-exception-current/150511michiganautocycle.pdf

zerzhul on
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    they've been talking about it for a long time but I never heard anything conclusive

• SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    So the amount of cool shit in a 2014 car vs a 2001 car is astounding. All the things that bugged me about my my old car have been solved with some sort of screen or sensor or camera or whatever. Also about 120 things that never bugged me have been fixed. Also now I realize there about 500 more things that can go wrong.

Yay warranty!

I was at a stoplight today and the engine shut off and it freaked me out until I realized it was on purpose. I know I sound a bit like unfrozen caveman car owner.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    I've never driven an auto shut off car before. I imagine I'd react like you too.

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    It's like driving a gas powered golf cart. My family had a Harley Davidson three wheel golf cart when I was growing up. It was bad ass.

• pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    It's weird and kind of neat, especially in really bad traffic where you might be stopped for a minute or two. It's also interesting figuring out why it didn't shut off for whatever reason, like a steep incline or temperature or...who knows.

• DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    Six wrote: »
    So the amount of cool shit in a 2014 car vs a 2001 car is astounding. All the things that bugged me about my my old car have been solved with some sort of screen or sensor or camera or whatever. Also about 120 things that never bugged me have been fixed. Also now I realize there about 500 more things that can go wrong.

Yay warranty!

I was at a stoplight today and the engine shut off and it freaked me out until I realized it was on purpose. I know I sound a bit like unfrozen caveman car owner.

At least your new ride still burns dinosaurs. I was rolling next to a Tesla S P85D most of the way home a couple weeks back. That made my car feel like a dinosaur, with it's gas engine and manual transmission, with no computer aides.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
    edited May 2015
    I was very close to buying a 70D. Like, had the order ready to go. Changed my mind at the last minute for a few reasons, but there's a very good chance our next car will be a Tesla, likely as a second car when we have a house so we can control charging at night.

I totally love the 535d. I'll keep this for years, my wife will end up with a Model X or Model III as our second car, and then I'll get an old 911 for fun. The 996 Turbos are crazy priced right now. I'm convinced they'll be worth 50% more in 5 years.

Six on
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Im trying to convince my boss to sell me his '94 super charged miata. That thing has nutty excelleration.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Im trying to convince my boss to sell me his '94 super charged miata. That thing has nutty excelleration.

That's an interesting new word. Its rate of change in excelling is particularly good? It gets better with time faster than other cars?

That's an interesting new word. Its rate of change in excelling is particularly good? It gets better with time faster than other cars?

It excels at accelerating!

• htmhtm Registered User regular

Yay warranty!

I hope you got the HUD. The BMW HUD is seriously the best thing ever if you use the nav system a lot.

edited May 2015
    htm wrote: »

Yay warranty!

I hope you got the HUD. The BMW HUD is seriously the best thing ever if you use the nav system a lot.

I did and it is indeed the absolute tits. It's also awesome for managing media/radio presets and making and answering calls.

Edit: this is she:

QeY8UhR.jpg

Also I showed my wife that Top Gear bit on the F10 M5 and subsequent discussion on the diesel. She concluded that the M5 is stupid but was shocked at May's assertion that the diesel could get 1000 miles on a tank "if you're careful." I think that may be bullshit but I kind of want to try.

Six on
    Buddy of mine is selling a 1984 Toyota Cressida for $300

The body and paint are in decent condition (surprisingly low rust for an old full-size Toyota) but the head gasket needs replacement and the u joints rattle a bit

Oh, and I'd need to obtain a title because the car currently lacks one

It seems like a steal, but the timing of my summer semester and abroad trip mean that it might slip through my fingers, and I don't know how major of an undertaking that gasket replacement would be

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I don't think that the head gasket is too difficult to replace on those Toyota I6s. Relative to other engines, I mean.

Obtaining a title can be a pain in the ass depending on where you live.

• msuitepyonmsuitepyon Registered User regular
    Because of its age you may be able to register it with a bill of sale (again this depends on your location).

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Would you think a 77 Honda Civic is worth 2 grand?

It's supposedly in good condition but I don't know. I'm asking for someone so I don't have a lot of info.

Virginia basically just wants a bill of sale and evidence I legally exist, which is nice.

If I were staying in Alexandria all summer that'd be 100% doable but I roll back down to school three hours away starting tomorrow, and South Africa for the rest of summer, and have zero garage space otherwise. So frankly it's not the most likely

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited May 2015

It's supposedly in good condition but I don't know. I'm asking for someone so I don't have a lot of info.

It's a first gen civic, and they are starting to be somewhat of a collectors item for the JDM crowd. It has to be in really good shape though, run well and not have any serious rust.

I personally am a fan of the gen 1 body style. I think it still looks really good to this day when in good shape.

I wouldn't buy it for a day to day car though, clean one up though for a Sunday driver / cars and coffee thing would be fun. Or wedge a modern vtec motor into it and have stupid fun at auto cross and other kinds of events.

Look at it, that is a sharp little car right there.

jdbf68qk69po.jpg

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    That's kind of what I was thinking. It's for my wife's brother and he would be driving it everyday. I suggested no

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited May 2015

It's a first gen civic, and they are starting to be somewhat of a collectors item for the JDM crowd. It has to be in really good shape though, run well and not have any serious rust.

I personally am a fan of the gen 1 body style. I think it still looks really good to this day when in good shape.

I wouldn't buy it for a day to day car though, clean one up though for a Sunday driver / cars and coffee thing would be fun. Or wedge a modern vtec motor into it and have stupid fun at auto cross and other kinds of events.

Look at it, that is a sharp little car right there.

jdbf68qk69po.jpg

Dang that looks pretty sharp. I would put gold spoke rims on it.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    Buddy of mine is selling a 1984 Toyota Cressida for $300

The body and paint are in decent condition (surprisingly low rust for an old full-size Toyota) but the head gasket needs replacement and the u joints rattle a bit

Oh, and I'd need to obtain a title because the car currently lacks one

It seems like a steal, but the timing of my summer semester and abroad trip mean that it might slip through my fingers, and I don't know how major of an undertaking that gasket replacement would be

Well, you can replace the headgasket on a 7M-GE fairly easily, or you can get a 1JZ half-cut from Japan and have yourself an adventure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P52gGHPzSQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7yfm_KhKmU

Man I wish I knew how to work on cars so I could do stupid shit like that.

TheStig wrote: »
    Man I wish I knew how to work on cars so I could do stupid shit like that.

Neither of those guys is a mechanic. They are both audio professionals, as in they studied sound engineering and used to make a living setting up studios. Moog (the one with the beard) makes all the music for the series and also does music for t.v. ads and stuff to pay his bills these days, I think Marty is still an audio engineer during the day.

neat

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    htm wrote: »

Yay warranty!

I did and it is indeed the absolute tits. It's also awesome for managing media/radio presets and making and answering calls.

Edit: this is she:

QeY8UhR.jpg

Also I showed my wife that Top Gear bit on the F10 M5 and subsequent discussion on the diesel. She concluded that the M5 is stupid but was shocked at May's assertion that the diesel could get 1000 miles on a tank "if you're careful." I think that may be bullshit but I kind of want to try.

I think you could do it if you conserved the hell out of things at a low speed in top gear and never used the brakes and stuff.

Either that or British miles are shorter than American miles

This discussion has been closed.