As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Gaming Cards] rather than [Graphics Cards] - why isn't that a thing?

BranniganSeppBranniganSepp Swiss Burrito EnthusiastPSN: ExMaloBonumRegistered User regular
I'm being tempted by The Witcher 3 to upgrade my PC (not really, I'm too content with my PS4 right now), which would mean I'd have to replace everything except the case, lest I'd be bottlenecked by my CPU, and that got me thinking - why aren't there gaming cards out there, something in the vein of graphics cards, but rather all-in-one packages with a similar basic architecture like for example a PS4. A powerful APU working with a bunch of unified GDDR5 memory sodered onto a dedicated little gaming motherboard, in a little case with cooling fans - and all I do is to stick it in my whatever-the-fuck PC's PCI-E slot, and lickety-split, I got an up-to-date PC gaming system.

I'm a total layman, so it could well be impossible with how PCs currently are put together, but is it really?

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    PCI-E couldn't handle that kind of load.

• Options
    BranniganSeppBranniganSepp Swiss Burrito Enthusiast PSN: ExMaloBonumRegistered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    PCI-E couldn't handle that kind of load.

Wouldn't the connection to the actual PC be about minute stuff? Such a thing would do all the work within itself and output the results straight over HDMI to the screen and soundsystem.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    At that point, you're more-or-less describing a console, which you know, already exist in a more convenient form. Putting distinct hardware into a PC isn't a new thing, though, e.g. the Amstrad Mega PC, which had a Sega Genesis/MegaDrive inside as an ISA board. That's novel because you have something that is wholly distinct from the host PC. But putting another, compatible system inside of the system you already have is a redundant at best and too expensive for most people's use case at worst.

• Options
    BranniganSeppBranniganSepp Swiss Burrito Enthusiast PSN: ExMaloBonumRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Zxerol wrote: »
    At that point, you're more-or-less describing a console, which you know, already exist in a more convenient form. Putting distinct hardware into a PC isn't a new thing, though, e.g. the Amstrad Mega PC, which had a Sega Genesis/MegaDrive inside as an ISA board. That's novel because you have something that is wholly distinct from the host PC. But putting another, compatible system inside of the system you already have is a redundant at best and too expensive for most people's use case at worst.

It's kinda like the concept of the steambox, just viewed as a PC component, rather than a seperate box.

My current PC is from 2009. I got my first own PC in 1999. Even that 16 years old PC would still be capable of doing all the PC things I do outside of gaming. That's why I'm pondering not getting a new desktop and just getting a tablet PC from now on out. Those things are pretty much as capable as any desktop PC in regards to regular office and multimedia use by now, and about 100x more convenient, and less expensive.

So really, the only reason to buy a new rig, respectively upgrade components, is gaming/rendering/editing. Upgrading a PC component by component often creates bottlenecks and other conflicts, which can result in unstable gaming experiences, especially when a game is pushing technical boundries. Wouldn't it be much more convenient to simply get a gaming card, that's designed as a cohesive package? If I could stick such a thing into my PC from 1999, the sky's the limit for the expansion of the potential PC gaming audience. Of course such a thing technically is like a console, but unlike consoles, if I want more power, I can pony up more cash for more power.

I think there's lots of customers out there who'd have a much easier time with PC gaming, if it wasn't a mix and match LEGOs scenario to build a gaming rig, but rather a *400 bucks buys you medium settings*/*800 bucks buys you ultra setting in 1080p*/*1500 bucks buys you ultra setting in 4k* - just stick this gaming module plug and play style in this expansion port in your PC. Of course that would be even more effective, if that expansion port was something other than opening your PC and screwing around in its guts and fiddling with cables. If I could just plunk down 800 bucks for a new gaming card, pull a lever to release my old gaming module, and replace it with the new one? I'd do that every 3 years for certain.

BranniganSepp on
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrCic9sz5CQ

This razor modular PC concept comes to mind. That'd be effin' baller.