As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Weight Loss and Fitness: Repent, for Swimsuit Season Is Nigh

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    bleah I feel ya. Can you build in a certain amount of empty junk into your day? I mean I avoid buying snacks to eat at work unless they're super healthy, because I know I will munch through a pack of chocolate chip biscuits if I'm just sitting around and they're nearby. But I don't worry if I've got some at home, because I know that in that environment, the urge to just eat bullshit for a long stretch doesn't happen so much.

• Options
    MogsMogs Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    Ugh, I've been spending most of the morning reading about dieting, and I'm suddenly very demoralized.

I've made a lot of strides to eat healthier, completely cut out fast food, soda, candy, and pretty much every kind of sweet and replaced them with fruits and veggies, and started eating much more balanced, home cooked meals, but every site I read is so...fatalistic I guess, about keeping a diet to a very strict list of foods, and that sounds like it sucks super bad!

I've never come across someone who was stricter with food than me. It doesn't suck: I absolutely love my food and think it's the most delicious stuff I could be eating. That said, 6 years ago I was eating Eggo waffles with peanut butter for breakfast, and Smarties were basically a food group. It takes time and lots of patience. For most folks, getting worked up over the occasional less than healthy indulgence isn't worth the stress. You're headed in the right direction - keep the focus on your personal progress and have patience with yourself.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I'm actually really good at the big, sweeping rules (no soda, no junk, no empty calories, etc) has been a cinch and I haven't looked back. It's when you get into the minutia that gets to me, when I feel like I'm actually giving something up, which is where the friction comes from. Cutting out the truly crappy stuff was easy because it felt 'smart', but getting down to the small changes, and counting calories, just feels tedious.

I know that if I work out enough, then it's not as much of a big deal, but then you get back to time, which I don't have enough of.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    for me counting macros felt more freeing to me and less restrictive actually

then i ain't feel much guilt about eating some cookies

and i love cookies

edit: and i think what is the most important thing in the quest for eating overall healthier though is forgiveness and self compassion in the sense that you shouldn't beat yourself up or feel bad if you "slipped up" and ate something you feel you shouldn't have. that leads to downward spiral of guilt and shittiness and binging. you just be like, oh well, and keep on keeping on. one slip up or indulgence will not ruin your progress or set things back.

heck, one whole weekend of indulgence and eating like shit won't really set you back. take things in stride. get back on the horse and don't feel guilty about it / shitty about it.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options

and i love cookies

That's a fair point. Focusing on "eating at least X of Y per day" is probably much easier to swallow, from a mental perspective. Less limiting.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »

and i love cookies

That's a fair point. Focusing on "eating at least X of Y per day" is probably much easier to swallow, from a mental perspective. Less limiting.

right

(and see my edit above, i think is important)

ideally i try to get most of my calories from "whole" foods but... the world ain't gonna end because you got some carbs from ice cream instead of sweet potatoes or something

poo
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    Basically I just eat as high protein as possible all the time and try to somewhat lessen carbs but dont go out of my do eat 0 carbs. I Dont even really care about fat.

Protein is so much more filling and less calories per gram eaten compared to carbs and fat. Just by eating more meat and dairy you might be surprised how easy it is to lessen the calories you eat per day and still feel good.

Plus you're gonna be lifting, so you'll get even more benefit from going with a high protein diet.

rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Also, I've said it before, but I love intermittent fasting. Basically eat from noon - 8pm (or any 8 hour period that works for you) and then fast until the next day. Sleeping counts towards the fast. So you essentially just skip breakfast.

There's a few reasons to do this, the biggest for me is portion sizes of meals. I can eat two 800 - 1000 calories meals a day and actually feel full during it. The whole "eat 6 small meals" made me always feel hungry the entire time. There's also some science behind it being beneficial for other reasons, but in the grand scheme of things its just a good way for some people to incorporate calorie control in their lives without actually having to think of or count calories.

Anyways, I've found it to help me a bunch in dieting as it fits my lifestyle well enough that I can see myself eating like this for the rest of my life.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Ya, I'll second the forgiveness mindset too.

Its not an all or nothing game. Its a long haul lifestyle change for the most part. And life isn't consistent. I basically try to stay strict M -F because its a lot easier to control my plans those days, as it is more structured than my weekends.

But I dont beat myself up about going out on Friday or Saturday night. Hanging with friends and having a good time will almost always trump diet.

I play it very much like an 80/20 game. I can pretty easily keep an 80%+ average on keeping to my diet. As long as I do that I can enjoy myself when I really want to.

Will I lose weight as fast? No. But if I'm gonna keep this up for the rest of my life, well, then fast doesn't matter. Sustainability, happiness and healthiness matter much more than speed of fat loss.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Nogs wrote: »
    Basically I just eat as high protein as possible all the time and try to somewhat lessen carbs but dont go out of my do eat 0 carbs. I Dont even really care about fat.

Protein is so much more filling and less calories per gram eaten compared to carbs and fat. Just by eating more meat and dairy you might be surprised how easy it is to lessen the calories you eat per day and still feel good.

I get to put my degree to use! It was worth it.

kCals per gram: Carbohydrate 4, Protein 4, Fats 9.

Dairy has a good amount of fat. Protein sources, depending on what cut of meat, nuts and legumes shit, also possess fats to varying degrees.

Fat is typically considered the most satiating of the macronutrients, because it takes longest to digest. Carbohydrates, on the other hand, vary in their digestion based on where they fall on the glycemic index.

Plus you're gonna be lifting, so you'll get even more benefit from going with a high protein diet

The issue with consuming high protein diets, people typically fail to consume the relative proportional amount of carbohydrates, and probably consume a large amount of saturated fats if they're eating from animal sources. Meanwhile, nutrition guidelines from various organizations recommend no more than 10% of your 20-35(possibly 40 in children)% Recommended Daily Allowance fat be comprised of saturated fats. Less than 1% of total fat should be trans fat.

So sedentary people should probably eat around 1600-2000 total kcals (depends on just how sedentary and can certainly vary), relatively active people 1800-2400, and athletes to consume 3000-5000. The lower value is also where I would place somebody who participated in moderate - vigorous activity for 3 days per week(150 minutes) and weight trained(45 minutes) at least once and again varies wildly.

Anyway, addressing the point: consuming high values of protein and neglecting other important macronutrients like carbs, which through our metabolic energy systems we are geared towards breaking down nutrients and store as glycogen in our muscles and liver, and further derived from blood glucose during physical activity once local stores of glycogen are converted for use. Carbs are the most efficient for this. What happens when you fail to eat enough carbs or fats, your body will resort to using protein, amino acids, through gluconeogenesis produce glucose. These proteins also come from your lean body mass, which is not a good thing. This is considered a negative nitrogen balance, associated with burn victims, immunodeficieny disorders, illness. Positive nitrogen balance occurs in growth development, tissue repair, and pregnancy.

Even if you just eat a ton more protein, it will not necessarily make up for a negative nitrogen balance. This is why it's good to have a balanced diet, although there are certain intolerances that make it difficult to achieve this.

Positive nitrogen balance = maintaining and building lean body mass. Which is a positive benefit in weight loss and fitness goals.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    A couple of people here suggested interval running to help me break the plateau I'd hit around the 34 minute mark on my 5ks, so I tried that this morning and took a minute and ten second off my previous time of 34:43 so down to 33:33, which is a big deal for me!

A very kind soul also sponsored my sister and I so we met our full target, I am amazed by the kindness!

• Options
    tsplittertsplitter Registered User regular
    How much fiber per day am I supposed to be getting? I've heard anywhere between 25 and 40.

FqmsaJ6.png
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Enough that your butt doesnt' become a geyser

More serious answer: as far as I know it's 25ish for women, 38-40ish for men.

Psykoma on
  • Options
    Psykoma wrote: »
    Enough that your butt doesnt' become a geyser

More serious answer: as far as I know it's 25ish for women, 38-40ish for men.

Both answers are pretty spot on. Plus staying hydrated on top.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Wow the amount of outrage over this 'dad bod' thing is hilarious.

• Options
    Wow the amount of outrage over this 'dad bod' thing is hilarious.

It's the natural clickbait lifespan. I only first heard about the term a week ago, and suddenly it's everywhere. In another week or so, it will be gone.

• Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    This dad bod is here forever.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    No. At some point it turns into old man bod.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Preach!

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Or you can fight off the dad bod.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb_kOwZJLKc

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    no fair, he has old man strength

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    That's probably the most badass thing I've seen this year

• Options
    edited May 2015
    I mean if you actually read the article that touched the whole thing off it's pretty terrible; she basically says that she likes a soft, cuddly guy who will guarantee that she's always the attractive one in pictures and the whole thing is beyond problematic.

Peen on
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I honestly assumed the initial thing was a joke that was blown out of proportion by people who wanted a chance to complain about women again.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    A 19 year old at Clemson wrote this idiot thing and off we go.

• Options
    I read the original article, the one linked and that twitter, and the WaPo article that was linked in the article linked from that Twitter, and it's all really weird. A solitary college student claiming 'girls love x physique', another lone person speaking for an entire gender saying 'yes you do, and also people with muscles are incapable of forming deep, emotional connections,' and a final person calling the second person out on his BS.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    Or you can fight off the dad bod.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb_kOwZJLKc

he's twice as old as I am and can bench more than I do

tumblr_maid6kL54O1qbdxog.gif

• Options
    That's what happens when you train regularly though.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    So what is everybody idea body type?

Mine would be something like Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson

That+is+hafor+julius+bjornsson+the+dude+that+played+the+_e751b2e0faa39a411be38c78942a4642.jpg

A shit ton of muscles from years of training and hard work.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I watch a lot of wrestling, so my "body ideals", if I have such a thing, would be like a Cesaro or in a perfect world a Finn Balor. Lean, and more functional than for vanity's sake.

I would gladly accept a MRSA infected, close to death/retirement CM Punk physique, though.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Hippo. I'm working towards that whole powerful jaw/stumpy leg shape.

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Walked 12 miles around Canterbury yesterday, was lovely! Then ate way too much rice when I got home, haha.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I'm goign running for the first time since I was a teen

Charged up my Zune and everything

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    THIS WAS A MISTAKE

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Running is the worst and I can't tell if it's bad on my knees or not

• Options
    On the plus side I'd forgotten how quickly one recovers from it. After a good weight-lifting section I feel wiped out for hours; it's only been twenty minutes since my run and I feel pretty good

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Yeah it's why I'm trying to cardio 5 times a week instead of alternating with weights. If I can get myself up early enough, it's usually pretty good to run in the mornings and lift after work

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I ran 2 miles today, but I'm pretty sure my technique sucks and I need to fix it so I don't hurt my feet

This discussion has been closed.