As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

VROOOM PSH VRROOOOOM [Car thread]

• htmhtm Registered User regular
    Six wrote: »
    htm wrote: »
    So the amount of cool shit in a 2014 car vs a 2001 car is astounding. All the things that bugged me about my my old car have been solved with some sort of screen or sensor or camera or whatever. Also about 120 things that never bugged me have been fixed. Also now I realize there about 500 more things that can go wrong.

Yay warranty!

I was at a stoplight today and the engine shut off and it freaked me out until I realized it was on purpose. I know I sound a bit like unfrozen caveman car owner.

I hope you got the HUD. The BMW HUD is seriously the best thing ever if you use the nav system a lot.

I did and it is indeed the absolute tits. It's also awesome for managing media/radio presets and making and answering calls.

Looks beautiful. I'm not entirely happy with the current BMW front end, but I think I read that the current generation have higher, blunter noses vs. previous versions due to pedestrian safety regulations: i.e., the design of the front ends of cars is regulated to hopefully increase the odds of the pedestrian surviving in the unfortunate even of a car/human close encounter. That seems like a worthy goal.

Anyway, last year I bought a 328 wagon with the HUD. The next time I shop for cars, I think a HUD is going to be on my required feature list. Being able to see everything you need to without taking your eyes off the road feels safer and also like the future. And being able to leave the Navigation system voice instructions off is just glorious, because uninterrupted music. That being said, the BWM HUD really needs to show the tach in addition to the speed.

And if you have an iPhone there's app that lets you send directions straight from your phone to your car's Nav system. I think it's called "Send to Car" and it works with a lot of different makes, not just BMW. That's way better than trying to enter destinations using the car's UI.

• SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    Man I wish I knew how to work on cars so I could do stupid shit like that.

Neither of those guys is a mechanic. They are both audio professionals, as in they studied sound engineering and used to make a living setting up studios. Moog (the one with the beard) makes all the music for the series and also does music for t.v. ads and stuff to pay his bills these days, I think Marty is still an audio engineer during the day.

Australian gives an innate +1 to Mechanic.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    And an immediate +1 to games of Knifey Spooney

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    The Nissan Juke has the weirdest face. I think it looks too happy.

2011-Nissan-Juke-Front-1.jpg

20150516_162910_zps1suauhhr.jpg

Think this might be fixable? I can't tell if I can just take that piece out or now.

• Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    So new Camaro was revealed

It's pretty much the same and not that interesting

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    So new Camaro was revealed

It's pretty much the same and not that interesting

I kind of like it, and I figured out the reason I do is the change to the roofline. The windshield is a little steeper and the roof a bit more swoopy, like the 370z.

Throw in that it's about 300lbs lighter than the old one and it's a sellable package for me.

jgeis on
  • CormacCormac Registered User regular
    @Raijin Quickfoot It depends on how the bumper is put together but I imagine it probably is. However the whole bumper will likely have to come off to get to the clips/screws holding it in.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    So the amount of cool shit in a 2014 car vs a 2001 car is astounding. All the things that bugged me about my my old car have been solved with some sort of screen or sensor or camera or whatever. Also about 120 things that never bugged me have been fixed. Also now I realize there about 500 more things that can go wrong.

Yay warranty!

I was at a stoplight today and the engine shut off and it freaked me out until I realized it was on purpose. I know I sound a bit like unfrozen caveman car owner.

I hope you got the HUD. The BMW HUD is seriously the best thing ever if you use the nav system a lot.

I did and it is indeed the absolute tits. It's also awesome for managing media/radio presets and making and answering calls.

Looks beautiful. I'm not entirely happy with the current BMW front end, but I think I read that the current generation have higher, blunter noses vs. previous versions due to pedestrian safety regulations: i.e., the design of the front ends of cars is regulated to hopefully increase the odds of the pedestrian surviving in the unfortunate even of a car/human close encounter. That seems like a worthy goal.

Anyway, last year I bought a 328 wagon with the HUD. The next time I shop for cars, I think a HUD is going to be on my required feature list. Being able to see everything you need to without taking your eyes off the road feels safer and also like the future. And being able to leave the Navigation system voice instructions off is just glorious, because uninterrupted music. That being said, the BWM HUD really needs to show the tach in addition to the speed.

And if you have an iPhone there's app that lets you send directions straight from your phone to your car's Nav system. I think it's called "Send to Car" and it works with a lot of different makes, not just BMW. That's way better than trying to enter destinations using the car's UI.

Yeah all cars need to be higher these days for pedestrian safety. It's why a lot of cars have that kind of shark nose thing going on and one of the reasons wheel and tire sizes are so much bigger across the board than they used to be.

It also means we'll never get another car like the NSX again, which is a bummer.

Thanks for the heads up re: send to car. That's awesome.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Just put a new bluetooth radio in my car. I can now control pandora from the radio buttons, it's pretty sweet.

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-FHX-720BT-Bluetooth®-Hands-Free-Streaming/dp/B00MRYHOQU/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1431909700&sr=8-10&keywords=bluetooth+car+radio

If you're curious.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    I think the new Camaro is going to outperform the new Mustang, but I still think it's unattractive. I think GM go it's heat extractors correct compared to Ford. I like that you get Brembos standard, rather than needing a $2500 option. Still wouldn't buy one though.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Yay warranty!

Yeah all cars need to be higher these days for pedestrian safety. It's why a lot of cars have that kind of shark nose thing going on and one of the reasons wheel and tire sizes are so much bigger across the board than they used to be.

It also means we'll never get another car like the NSX again, which is a bummer.

Bonnets (hoods) are being raised for crash safety purposes, yes. But only in cars with engines in the front. Because safety regulators want more room between the top of the engine and the bonnet to allow for deformation and impact absorption in pedestrian impacts, you see. Mid and rear-engined cars are by nature excluded from this movement, so this is not the reason to believe we will never see another NSX.

Honda being shitlords is why we will never see another NSX. They've been building showcars and teasing prototypes for well over a decade and nothing has come of it. At least Nissan were all like "fuck it, let's go back to war with Porsche, that shit was great fun last time".

You're right, the NSX was a bad example :)

And yes they are shitlords.

• pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular

Yay warranty!

It also means we'll never get another car like the NSX again, which is a bumm

Bonnets (hoods) are being raised for crash safety purposes, yes. But only in cars with engines in the front. Because safety regulators want more room between the top of the engine and the bonnet to allow for deformation and impact absorption in pedestrian impacts, you see. Mid and rear-engined cars are by nature excluded from this movement, so this is not the reason to believe we will never see another NSX.

Honda being shitlords is why we will never see another NSX. They've been building showcars and teasing prototypes for well over a decade and nothing has come of it. At least Nissan were all like "fuck it, let's go back to war with Porsche, that shit was great fun last time".

Are you going to complain that the new one that they've already started production of is not a 'true' NSX because it's different to the old one or did you just not hear that they've started producing it? :P

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    pimento wrote: »

Yay warranty!

It also means we'll never get another car like the NSX again, which is a bumm

Are you going to complain that the new one that they've already started production of is not a 'true' NSX because it's different to the old one or did you just not hear that they've started producing it? :P

If it makes it to Australia I will be happy.

Picked up my car from a service today. They leaned off the carbies (one size smaller jets and adjustments) and recommended that I give it an italian tune up.. 4th gear down the freeway for a good while to blow out the soot.

On the downside, the occasional backlash in the diff is due to the spider gears being worn out, so that's a bit of a bugger. No danger of being stranded yet, but will need a rebuild at some point.

Picked up my car from a service today. They leaned off the carbies (one size smaller jets and adjustments) and recommended that I give it an italian tune up.. 4th gear down the freeway for a good while to blow out the soot.

On the downside, the occasional backlash in the diff is due to the spider gears being worn out, so that's a bit of a bugger. No danger of being stranded yet, but will need a rebuild at some point.

Well, if the spiders are fucked you can just weld them together for a locked diff! Brap brap screeeeech!

The internal spider gears of an open differential can also be welded together to create a locked axle; this method is not recommended as the welding process seriously compromises the metallurgical composition of the welded components, and can lead to failure of the unit under stress. If it is desirable to have a spooled axle, the better option is to install either a mini-spool or a full spool.

In 2014 a man in Perth, Western Australia plead guilty to charges of dangerous driving causing death after fitting a mini-spool to his V8 Holden Commodore car, crashing into a tree and killing his son.

NUMBERS IS TRYING TO KILL MY UNBORN CHILD

The internal spider gears of an open differential can also be welded together to create a locked axle; this method is not recommended as the welding process seriously compromises the metallurgical composition of the welded components, and can lead to failure of the unit under stress. If it is desirable to have a spooled axle, the better option is to install either a mini-spool or a full spool.

In 2014 a man in Perth, Western Australia plead guilty to charges of dangerous driving causing death after fitting a mini-spool to his V8 Holden Commodore car, crashing into a tree and killing his son.

NUMBERS IS TRYING TO KILL MY UNBORN CHILD

Hey, it's not my fault some stooge couldn't drive a car with a locked diff. If it starts to slide you gotta kick it in the slats, lift off and you're going off backwards...

• DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Gave the mechanic the all clear to begin treating the car for a blown head gasket. Going to have to take it apart, ship it out to be milled, and then we'll see. If this is the cause of the problem...hooray! If it's not, then it's a cracked block and I'll have to put two rounds into my faithful steed.

• intropintrop Registered User regular
    A blown head gasket may not (and often does not) need the head to be decked. Sometimes it's literally just a failed gasket. It'll be obvious once they pull the head, look at the gasket, and check the surface for flatness. Might be cheap(er)!

Steam ID: highentropy
  • DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Here's to hell like hoping!

For anyone curious what the BMW HUD looks like, here's a quick pic I took the other day because a friend was curious. There was apparently some angle weirdness since the bottom looks cut off, but that doesn't happen when you're looking at it.

w4bJqgy.jpg

I didn't know that I needed a HUD until right now.

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    that's pretty cool

so indycar drivers have been solo crashing all week, even moreso than usual. This is going to be one of "those races". In that someone is going to die or be severely injured. They've already put a restrictor plate on them and they're still leaving the road.

openwheel oval racing sucks balls and I wish they would just stop

• DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Oh man is there a means to retrofit a HUD to an A4

That thing is sweet

Jasconius wrote: »
    so indycar drivers have been solo crashing all week, even moreso than usual. This is going to be one of "those races". In that someone is going to die or be severely injured. They've already put a restrictor plate on them and they're still leaving the road.

I'm hoping that running race aero packages will help a lot, seems like a lot of news/auto-journo outlets are speculating that it's the changes being made to aero kits for qualifying that are causing flips.

• htmhtm Registered User regular
    Dixon wrote: »
    Oh man is there a means to retrofit a HUD to an A4

That thing is sweet

If only. My natural preference is for Audi, because my company is an Audi supplier and I get 6% discount on Audis. But... HUDs aren't available on Audis until you get to the A6, alas.

In the eternal war between iDrive and MMI, iDrive was ahead last model year. This year, Audi might catch up with their LCD dashboard, which puts all instruments and navigation into the space where the instruments have traditionally gone. I think the new TTs and R8 (will) have this. You can see it here.

To me that looks super-busy and complicated, though. I'm pretty sure I'd rather have a HUD.

jgeis wrote: »

I'm hoping that running race aero packages will help a lot, seems like a lot of news/auto-journo outlets are speculating that it's the changes being made to aero kits for qualifying that are causing flips.

problem is the race aero package is completely untested in a live event and also the indy aero package is still relatively low downforce

edited May 2015

problem is the race aero package is completely untested in a live event and also the indy aero package is still relatively low downforce

Dis gun be gud.

And by that, I mean this is going to end terribly. I know I'll be tuning in though.

Edit: Ah shit, James Hinchcliffe has been hospitalized and is undergoing surgery related to a thigh injury after wrecking this morning. If you watch the video, his car almost flips after hitting the wall.

jgeis on
  • CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I've gotten into Indy the last year or two. At first it was to fill in the gaps between F1 races, but I've actually found it to be really good racing. I could do without the oval tracks and the temporary 'tracks' on parking lots though. However, the racing is really close and competitive, and the races are almost every weekend or every other weekend.

I really hope Indy doesn't become a black weekend. With this many crashes (and luckily only one injury considering how nasty the crashes have been) I'm wondering if they'll mandate the teams use last years aero package. That's not to say the new ones are inherently unsafe but they're an unknown quantity.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Yeah, well, I can change the color of the interior lighting in my car!

Who needs HUDs anyway

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Wait, is Indy racing going back to tracks? Then WTF was all that shit when CART got destroyed because "Oh, no, american open wheeled racing needs to be on an oval" bullshit? My god, Tony George was such an asshole.

Yeah, well, I can change the color of the interior lighting in my car!

Who needs HUDs anyway

My interior lighting doesn't work! 'Cept for the dashlights, they were replaced with LEDs at some point apparently. When I was at WAAPA, some of the lighting kids would get gel scraps (the coloured filters used in stage lighting) and slip them into the interior lights of their cars. Was kinda neat, at least until you lost something in there.

• ICUbICUb WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    I didn't know that I needed a HUD until right now.

Really hope we get some trickle-down into the non texa$$ cars/models with that tech.
    edit: no suprise that Geth likes HUDs.

ICUb on

Bnet tag: Nermals#11601
    Speaking of avoidable crashes, have a look at this sheepish fellow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M34f1-A_NFA

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    No, Geth likes trickle-down.

Ughhhh I want customizable HUD. If World of Warcraft can do it, my $25k car should be able to do it.

Anyone know if something like this would give comparable sound quality to 2 x 4" speakers mounted next to each other? I want to put some front speakers into the Alfa without hacking into the dashboard, and there's a central spot behind the gear shifter that I reckon I can put a little box in without having to drill into anything.

Anyone know if something like this would give comparable sound quality to 2 x 4" speakers mounted next to each other? I want to put some front speakers into the Alfa without hacking into the dashboard, and there's a central spot behind the gear shifter that I reckon I can put a little box in without having to drill into anything.

It really depends on what you mean by sound quality, and what kind of 4 inch speakers we're talking about. That one long bass driver will likely move more air than two 4 inch round drivers, but it will also be flexy which will affect the quality of the bass the speaker outputs. If you're not interested in car audio SQL competions, go with the one big unit.

This discussion has been closed.