As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pre-PAXventure Time Boardgame Night: I FLOOP THE PIG!

• dm_magicdm_magic Registered User regular
    I've always missed this! I think I'll hit it this year, maybe run some D&D 5th Edition.

bn4KEyz.png
  • rachaelmikarachaelmika Registered User regular
    This will be my first Pax and going by myself too. I'm so in for board game night ❤️

• ScaryGaryScaryGary Registered User regular
    I will be Coming down from the great white north and will totally Stop by to play some Boardgames!! Woooo Pax

First Pax: Pax South 2015!!!
    Second Pax: PAX PRIME 2015!!
    Third Pax: PAX SOUTH 2016 GET HYPE!!!!
    Proud Alaskan!
  • cursecurse Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Totally looking forward to this. But it seems so far from now...

7lcw1cifdzb4.png
  • DashDDashD Dread Pirate Chef Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    A few of my games and I will be there! Three months is too long :(

"Brilliant! Oh wait, if we were meant to fly, we would have been born with little bags of nuts."
    PAX_Badge_Sig.png
  • JazzyJazzy Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Wandering over from Australia, seems to be a likely start point. Do you need to book or anything? Or just rock up?

Moon Wizard.
  • FenrisfangFenrisfang Edmonton, AB, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Jazzy wrote: »
    Wandering over from Australia, seems to be a likely start point. Do you need to book or anything? Or just rock up?

If it is the same as past years, you just join in the fun. The first year I was here people were coming and going depending on the games that were being played.

PAX Tickets: check!
    Hotel Booked: check!
    Sitter for the kids: check!
    Excitement level rising: check, check and triple check!
  • LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    Jazzy wrote: »

Rock on up, baby. Fun starts at 4.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • az2mt2003az2mt2003 Registered User new member
    dm_magic wrote: »
    I've always missed this! I think I'll hit it this year, maybe run some D&D 5th Edition.

I would love to be able to join you if you do indeed need players!

• minisplatminisplat Registered User regular
    Most definitely on my schedule! Though I'm not sure how many games I can fit in my suitcase.

passes - flight - hotel - anticipation

Don't Panic.
  • evil santaevil santa To infinity...and beyond!Registered User regular
    Hi folks,

My partner and I will be making it down from Vancouver. As we are currently on holiday from Australia, we will not have any boardgames with us or really even know anyone. Can we just turn up and join a group for a game or two?
    I haven't really done the drive-by boardgame experience before as I've only previously been to conventions with friends. Definitely keen to meet people and play some games.

Pinny Pals Profile

“I let out a battle cry. Sure, a lot of people might have mistaken it for a sudden yelp of unmanly fear, but trust me. It was a battle cry.”
  • jamsyarbotsjamsyarbots Wilmington, DERegistered User regular
    evil santa wrote: »
    Hi folks,

My partner and I will be making it down from Vancouver. As we are currently on holiday from Australia, we will not have any boardgames with us or really even know anyone. Can we just turn up and join a group for a game or two?
    I haven't really done the drive-by boardgame experience before as I've only previously been to conventions with friends. Definitely keen to meet people and play some games.

That's how I did it my first time. Just walked up to a table and joined a game. Everyone's pretty friendly so you and your partner should have no problem joining a game.

• SolelronSolelron Wandering Gamer Cornelius, ORRegistered User regular
    evil santa wrote: »
    Hi folks,

That's how I did it my first time. Just walked up to a table and joined a game. Everyone's pretty friendly so you and your partner should have no problem joining a game.

Jam's has it dead on. if there is a game just starting or even fluxx midgame you are 99.9% of the time going to be invited to join.

And if not, some poor schmuk always hauls in a huge selection of games from out of state for people to borrow and start their own table :)

• sanovahsanovah Nerd of the West San Diego, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    how big and organized is board game night these days? Haven't been able to go since 2012 because i arrived too late or not until Friday the past couple of years. But from what I remember we had one i think maybe 2 small rooms in the back to play boardgames in. Has it gotten any more organized or bigger since 2012?

• AaronElWhiteAaronElWhite WARegistered User regular
    sanovah wrote: »
    how big and organized is board game night these days? Haven't been able to go since 2012 because i arrived too late or not until Friday the past couple of years. But from what I remember we had one i think maybe 2 small rooms in the back to play boardgames in. Has it gotten any more organized or bigger since 2012?

It is huge. We have pretty much all of the big rooms and they were completely full last year.

yeah it really varies. The Sheriton is MORe than generous. Last year we had 2 huge ballrooms plus took over the entire upper lobby with gamesi n the hall :)

• f33rNapalmf33rNapalm Registered User regular
    I'll be there, most likely running a D&D 5e one-off, probably Dark Sun themed.

Hey @Sanovah! The manager at the Sheraton is pretty gamer-friendly right now, so we get a fairly sweet deal. The event has been moved to the mezzanine and we get a couple of ballrooms. The rooms aren't set yet this year because they're still waiting to see what the official PAX reservations look like, but we def have way more room than when we were downstairs behind the Starschmucks.

In terms of organization, it 100% depends on how much energy/time I have to put together a game matching system. I try to provide at the very least an info table and a way for players and games to find each other. I'm disinclined however, to provide an actual game checkout library, just because there's always 'that' guy who leaves his games with me overnight. I don't have tickets this year and can't go hunt people down the next day so basically *if* I do a checkout library this time and *if* someone leaves their games with me, they become my games. That's the nutshell version.

• AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular

Hey @Sanovah! The manager at the Sheraton is pretty gamer-friendly right now, so we get a fairly sweet deal. The event has been moved to the mezzanine and we get a couple of ballrooms. The rooms aren't set yet this year because they're still waiting to see what the official PAX reservations look like, but we def have way more room than when we were downstairs behind the Starschmucks.

In terms of organization, it 100% depends on how much energy/time I have to put together a game matching system. I try to provide at the very least an info table and a way for players and games to find each other. I'm disinclined however, to provide an actual game checkout library, just because there's always 'that' guy who leaves his games with me overnight. I don't have tickets this year and can't go hunt people down the next day so basically *if* I do a checkout library this time and *if* someone leaves their games with me, they become my games. That's the nutshell version.

But...

But I was that guy once, and I left my number for you to call in the game boxes!

Thanks again for getting my games back to my drunk ass!

User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
    Oh damn @LexiconGrrl that sounds way bigger and better than what it was last time I went. Will definitely have to come check it out this year assuming my time off doesn't get denied. Sorry to hear you didn't get passes this year :( thanks for organizing this for us anyway though

aww lexi. ok I won't bring an onslaught this year LOL though I thought they were pretty well used :)

Well, all snarky attitude aside - having a game checkout library really is a useful thing, and makes the experience a lot better for everyone. It's just super hard to coordinate - especially since the event has gotten so big. On the other hand, now that it's so big, it's especially useful to have the game checkout library.

Here's the thing: there's usually a misimpression that there aren't any games to play, when actually it's that the number of games vastly outnumbers the ability of the owners to play them all at the same time. If someone brings a library of 5 or 10 games, they can only play one at a time and the other 9 just sit there, unused, while people run around trying to find open games. So we really do need some sort of checkout system for everyone.

Here's a wacky idea: anybody want to work the late shift at the info table - spell me around 10 or 11pm and hang out till 1 or 2am? Then if there are any overnight orphans, take responsibility to hunt down the owners the next day? That would be boss. Because in addition to not being able to meet people the next day, I'm old and I get tired if I stay up late. You know, like after 7.

• adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    I don't have tickets this year

Wait, what?! You won't be a PAX (minus pre-PAX board gaming)? :(

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • zealezeale Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    This will be my first Pax and going by myself too. I'm so in for board game night ❤️

This will be my 5th PAX, all of which have been solo journeys. You will love it! I do hope my wife can come with me one of these days, but as of now it's not likely since she's a teacher and there's no summer PAX. The freedom to do whatever, whenever is very beneficial at an event like this.

dgiab0m7h15x.png

• karaokeangkaraokeang Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    I will sadly not be attending PAX this year but I would still like to come to this event anyways. I can bring games too! CAH (almost all the expansions), Settlers, TTR, Waterdeep (with Scoundrels), and Shadows over Camelot. Right now I am obsessed with Waterdeep so it may be that all night!

karaokeang on
  • zealezeale Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    I've been playing Waterdeep a lot on my iPad lately! I first discovered it at Prime 2013 when I randomly sat at a table to learn the game and it ended up being with the developers of the game. Super cool bunch of guys and I love that game!

dgiab0m7h15x.png

edited May 2015
    I don't have tickets this year

Wait, what?! You won't be a PAX (minus pre-PAX board gaming)? :(

Actually, I just found out yesterday that I do in fact have tickets. But my business is still too demanding to allow me to take the time off. So given the choice between spending 10 hours putting game night together or spending 10 hours tooling around PAX for the gajillionth time, I choose game night. Game night needs to happen.

LexiconGrrl on
  • JesusInHDJesusInHD Registered User regular
    Your effort is very much appreciated! Thank you!

• itzzzdaeitzzzdae So. Cali.Registered User regular
    Well, all snarky attitude aside - having a game checkout library really is a useful thing, and makes the experience a lot better for everyone. It's just super hard to coordinate - especially since the event has gotten so big. On the other hand, now that it's so big, it's especially useful to have the game checkout library.

Maybe some local game stores are willing to lend out their store copies for this event.

4rYn4o8.png
    edited June 2015
    itzzzdae wrote: »

Maybe some local game stores are willing to lend out their store copies for this event.

I'm sure they would, but the issue is never a lack of games - we always have way more games than people can play - it's a lack of people available to track down and return those games to their owners afterward. Do you want to volunteer to help out?

See my previous post: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/32626799/#Comment_32626799

LexiconGrrl on
    Solelron wrote: »
    aww lexi. ok I won't bring an onslaught this year LOL though I thought they were pretty well used :)

Don't discount bringing games yet - it's early and we might figure out a reasonable game lending process.

I won't commit to anything atm because I still don't know if I'll get the time off approved or if I'll even still have a job come PAX.

That said if I am still employed and get the approval I could probably be talked into helping with lending games out and stuff for a few hours. I'm not staying at the Sheraton, would eventually want dinner, and to play games so I could prob help until 9 or 10. Later if I can manage to get delivery to wherever we're playing.

• AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I won't commit to anything atm because I still don't know if I'll get the time off approved or if I'll even still have a job come PAX.

That said if I am still employed and get the approval I could probably be talked into helping with lending games out and stuff for a few hours. I'm not staying at the Sheraton, would eventually want dinner, and to play games so I could prob help until 9 or 10. Later if I can manage to get delivery to wherever we're playing.

Well hey that Daily Grill jawn they got in Sheraton that sells food, and a convenience store sort of deal right in the lobby!

But seriously guys if you're adamant about not getting food from the Sheraton please be considerate and have it off premise. The hotel is being super cool about this, lets not shit on their doorstep.

Alazull on
    edited June 2015
    @alazull @sanovah

PLEASE DO NOT GET OUTSIDE PIZZA!!! See Rule #1 from the OP (edited recently, but this rule has always been posted and in effect for each game night). Getting takeout pizza - and advising others to do it on this thread - puts the event at risk. I'm actually going to be coming down pretty hard on this one this year and if I see people with outside food will ask them to take it elsewhere and come back when they're done. Nobody says you can't eat, but just don't bring outside food to game night.
    The Rules
    - This is important: the hotel gives us this space for free and in return we give them a good bar and restaurant take. Please plan to purchase food and/or drink from the hotel. We strongly discourage people from bringing in takeout pizza or outside food - if your budget is tight and you can't afford hotel food, please eat before or go to your room to eat. Thank you in advance for understanding how this whole free-game-night-barter-system-politics works.

@sanovah - thanks for the offer; I'll be there early, we need some one to work the late shift from 10 or 11 pm until 2am.
    Here's a wacky idea: anybody want to work the late shift at the info table - spell me around 10 or 11pm and hang out till 1 or 2am? Then if there are any overnight orphans, take responsibility to hunt down the owners the next day? That would be boss.

LexiconGrrl on
    Sorry wasn't trying to advertise buying anything from outside. Was just saying that if I can get food I might be able to stay late it just so happens that I normally order takeout as I leave for the night. If the Sheraton sells food late enough I'd order from them but like I said I'm not and typically don't stay there so I'm not sure how late they offer stuff.

If I can manage to get food from either the Sheraton that late or an outside source after they shut down (assuming they shut down) I potentially wouldn't mind staying late even if I'm not staying there.

No worries, I just want to make sure that anyone else reading the thread notices the part about not bringing in outside food.

Do you know where you're staying yet? I'll be there till 10 or 11, and there are a few good late night food options around downtown if you need any recommendations for a late late meal. Otherwise you could always grab a bite first and come spell me for the late shift.

Assuming I'm actually going I'll be staying at the Westin again this year. That said I won't know if I'm actually going until either early August when I find out if I'll still have a job or like two weeks before when my schedule gets posted.

So I can't commit to anything atm and won't be able to for awhile. But if everything works out I wouldn't mind helping for a couple hours as long as I can get food and get back to my hotel eventually so I can nap before PAX. I work graveyard so late nights really aren't a thing to me as long as I can do those things.

Just curious but what would helping actually entail that late btw?

edited June 2015
    Yeah, my bad I totally forgot the the Sheraton expects to sell food to attendees of the event. I just always do that for the rest of the weekend, didn't even think of it because if anything we get dinner before the event.

Alazull on

Sitting at the table. Finding the owners of any games that get left behind.

• YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    a

Sitting at the table. Finding the owners of any games that get left behind.

I'm totally willing to do this.