As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GW2] Now F2P - HoT expansion is LIVE! Guild missions Sun @ Noon & Mon @ 5pm Pacific!

• SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    naengwen wrote: »
    You do have a choice though - one that was silly in GW1, but is meaningful here. In the original game, once you had your second class unlocked, there wasn't a lot of reason to stick to a pure class spec. Here, on the other hand, your choice is to stick to the original specializations of your profession, or grab a new one. The elite specs provide more options, sure, but they aren't a pure upgrade - the choice is "do I stick to my original class, or go Me/Ne, or Gu/Ra, or Ne/Wa?"

How was it silly in GW1? Not everyone went to the meta spec sites and played the game that way. I spent many hours building stuff that sometimes worked and sometimes didn't (much to my friend's chagrin at times) but I had fun and put over 1k hours into it. It was hardly silly or meaningless.

If they are going with a system that is designed to offer build choices for the players then it needs to be one that offers more than a single binary off/on to show it's potential and offer more to the players. That is all I am saying.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    The silly choice in Guild Wars 1 was opting to stick to a pure class. When every other class solved the problems of the base class, it wasn't exactly difficult even to the non-meta folks why a warrior would want to jump into Monk, for instance.

In Guild Wars 2, that's a meaningful choice. Guardians who aren't gonna want to be ranged condi don't need Dragonhunter, Necros that aren't gonna wanna be melee demons are gonna be better served by using existing trees, and mesmers... I'll get back to you on that one after they fix the traits.

naengwen on
    naengwen wrote: »
    The silly choice in Guild Wars 1 was opting to stick to a pure class. When every other class solved the problems of the base class, it wasn't exactly difficult even to the non-meta folks why a warrior would want to jump into Monk, for instance.

In Guild Wars 2, that's a meaningful choice. Guardians who aren't gonna want to be ranged condi don't need Dragonhunter, Necros that aren't gonna wanna be melee demons are gonna be better served by using existing trees, and mesmers... I'll get back to you on that one after they fix the traits.

Ahh, I see. Yeah, that I agree with.

But I also think that as they proliferate there will be less and less pure classes which is actually a good thing because it will mean the base classes become a meaningful choice.

With a binary like it is it's just far less meaningful choice than if there had been more to choose from.

• mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Entaru wrote: »
    -Loki- wrote: »
    What's more interesting is they seem to be replicating the old GW 1 dual profession system in a way that's more meaningful than simply taking one skill from the other profession and using that as a dump stat.

The Chronomancer is a Mesmer/Necromancer, using Wells, but tying them into the Mesmer class as a new Mesmer playstyle.

The Dragon Hunter is a Ranger/Guardian, doing the same thing with traps. The Reaper is a Necromancer/Warrior, doing the same thing with Shouts. The Druid gets a Staff, which could point to either Ranger/Elementalist (doing something with Auras) or Ranger/Mesmer (fields), it could also point to Ranger/Guardian, maybe something with Symbols.

Also, it makes me excited for more. The dual profession system was an interesting experiment in GW 1, but was just implemented in a bad way. This seems much better - they're basically creating sub-classes around the combinations.

I really feel like they missed the mark with it though. This really is the triumphant return of dual professions and choice to the Guildwars landscape. This is what I've wanted from the game since day one. I've always wanted larger build choices and more options and ultimately the fact that it was far less deck builder than it's previous incarnation is what caused me to log on less and less.

The problem is that to trumpet this grand return to a system of choice they don't offer a choice and only give one. I'd gladly take getting an expansion later if it meant it was coming with a choice system that was actually offering a choice to players.

I'm not even saying there needs to be more than two per profession. I think two works well because then you can say "Look, here we give you two elite specializations and each offer something different or you can stay the same as before."

Offering only one option is a pretty poor way to introduce this.

This right here.

Its lazy; worse its a shitty introduction to system that gives "choice". there is no choice- the choice is to be announced later. And god damn it man- if not after 3 years WHEN?!?!?

in more fun news - Did they announce anything about the druid or tempast's abilities yet other than names?

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • KylindraKylindra Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Kylindra wrote: »
    So this got buried right away and I'm being told people haven't seen it, so here it is again!

Heart of Thorns Betting Pool

Two Pools:
    Official Release Date Pool (RETAIL release, not pre-order or other early access)
    Official Announcement Date Pool (First Announcement of Hard Release Date via an Official Channel)

The choices will be in terms of weeks (Week of May 24th, etc).

Rules:
    Cost: 1 gold per entry. You can enter up to 5 times (per pool) and you don't have to pick the same date for all your entries. So your buy-in can be anywhere between 1 and 10 gold, as you see fit.

Winnings will be distributed proportionately to everyone who picked the correct weeks according to the number of entries received.
    (Example: If Guildie McNoPants and five other people pick the winning week, but Guildie did 5 entries for that date and everyone else did 1 each, then Guildie would get half of the prize money and the rest would be split evenly between the other 5 people).

How to Enter:
    To enter, deposit your entry fee into the guild bank, and sign up on this spreadsheet here:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NQ9OwR3OG2filF3eVJJTmt3zdMkc25oEDPFoPHVHeXk/edit?usp=sharing

Instructions are on the sheet.

Contest is open to ALL members of NICE, including officers (no discretion regarding who wins, so no concerns about fairness).

Sign-ups start RIGHT NOW and will end two weeks from today. (Barring any premature announcing on ANet's part, of course!)

You can change your entries at any time during the next two weeks, but when they are closed, they are CLOSED and the sheet will be LOCKED. Also, all entry gold MUST be deposited by the closing date (Monday May 18th at 11:59PM EST) or you forfeit your choices and your right to enter.

Let the guessing begin!!

Tonight at midnight is the deadline for entering the betting pool. Hurry and place your bets if you want a slice of the action! Also keep in mind that the pool will have a small supplement from the guild bank so the take is a little bigger than it looks. ;)

Kylindra on
  • LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Not yet, they seem to be keeping to the once a week cadence. Though if they hold to their schedule, the teaser image should be tweeted out today.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • xgalaxyxgalaxy Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    No. It won't be. They said they are taking a break from specialization announcements this week.
    They want to dedicate this week to something else and it will take the whole Ready Up! show time to show it off.

xgalaxy on
    GW2: Rancid Cupcake (Necro), Ranch Dressing (Ranger)
    edited May 2015
    xgalaxy wrote: »
    No. It won't be. They said they are taking a break from specialization announcements this week.
    They want to dedicate this week to something else and it will take the whole Ready Up! show time to show it off.

Revenant? ( I hope)

Seidkona on
    I doubt it. They already showed off the Revenant and I doubt showing the Revenant elite specialization will happen since they said they aren't showing an elite specialization this week. My guess is it is going to be either Guild Halls or group content related.

• BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    I doubt it. They already showed off the Revenant and I doubt showing the Revenant elite specialization will happen since they said they aren't showing an elite specialization this week. My guess is it is going to be either Guild Halls or group content related.

Pretty please.

edited May 2015
    My wish is that Guild Hall customization is like Wildstar player housing. That would fucking own and Arena Net would make so much fucking bank with gem store items for it. But it can't just be gem store stuff. They need to go the whole way and have item drops that are guild hall items just like what Wildstar did for housing items. And beating certain bosses and doing certain content rewards you with items that are unique to doing that specific content.

Wildstar was flawed in many ways but the player housing was just about perfect.

Can you imagine. Guild Halls where you could receive and place gathering nodes in? Or have a place to put a guild bank, crafting stations, etc? Being able to invite or visit other Guild Halls and maybe even have GvG's inside of them? Wildstar even had a node you could place that was a jumping puzzle.

xgalaxy on
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    Bobble wrote: »

Pretty please.

if i were a betting man...... and i am. Roll them bones on "guild hall week"

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
    So this got buried right away and I'm being told people haven't seen it, so here it is again!

Two Pools:
    Official Release Date Pool (RETAIL release, not pre-order or other early access)
    Official Announcement Date Pool (First Announcement of Hard Release Date via an Official Channel)

Rules:
    Cost: 1 gold per entry. You can enter up to 5 times (per pool) and you don't have to pick the same date for all your entries. So your buy-in can be anywhere between 1 and 10 gold, as you see fit.

Winnings will be distributed proportionately to everyone who picked the correct weeks according to the number of entries received.
    (Example: If Guildie McNoPants and five other people pick the winning week, but Guildie did 5 entries for that date and everyone else did 1 each, then Guildie would get half of the prize money and the rest would be split evenly between the other 5 people).

How to Enter:
    To enter, deposit your entry fee into the guild bank, and sign up on this spreadsheet here:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NQ9OwR3OG2filF3eVJJTmt3zdMkc25oEDPFoPHVHeXk/edit?usp=sharing

Contest is open to ALL members of NICE, including officers (no discretion regarding who wins, so no concerns about fairness).

Sign-ups start RIGHT NOW and will end two weeks from today. (Barring any premature announcing on ANet's part, of course!)

You can change your entries at any time during the next two weeks, but when they are closed, they are CLOSED and the sheet will be LOCKED. Also, all entry gold MUST be deposited by the closing date (Monday May 18th at 11:59PM EST) or you forfeit your choices and your right to enter.

Let the guessing begin!!

Tonight at midnight is the deadline for entering the betting pool. Hurry and place your bets if you want a slice of the action! Also keep in mind that the pool will have a small supplement from the guild bank so the take is a little bigger than it looks. ;)

and i owe you the cash for my 3.

• naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    That, or answering questions on what coordinated group content refers to. Actually, Guild Halls might be the answer to that, too if they reintroduce guild missions as instanced content with halls as the hub.

• BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    I want options with Guild Halls: Guild Airship, Guild Tree, Guild Submarine, etc.

Obviously you can't do that though. Some people would vote for things that are not the Guild Submarine, and then guilds would have to kick those people.

• EidolonOrpheusEidolonOrpheus NoatunRegistered User regular
    I don't think you can be a part of the von Kraken family sponsored guild and not invest in the submarine

Hey! Check out this sweet WvW Reaper build:
    This + this.

Pick whatever else you want.

• Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    This + this.

hahaha yep okay. I officially need a Necro appropriate greatsword because I ALREADY run my Necro in the wuvs a lot and I just love the idea of rolling into a fleeing scout group like HELLO I THOUGHT YOU WERE GOING SOMEWHERE

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
    edited May 2015
    This + this.

hahaha yep okay. I officially need a Necro appropriate greatsword because I ALREADY run my Necro in the wuvs a lot and I just love the idea of rolling into a fleeing scout group like HELLO I THOUGHT YOU WERE GOING SOMEWHERE

Yeah neat- But its a simple game of find the necro (so hard sense he's the emo one all in black)- then guardian teleport punt his ass out of the scrum and away from the fight. And what prey tell will you do about it mr shadows? Slowly saunter over? get kd'd again? Eat vast amounts of interrupts? No personal stab so enjoy all the lines and erupting earth lines and whatever else too.

pfffffffffffffffffffffft. All bark no bite.

So spooky, the shadow is sauntering at me! P-U-N-T the slow shadow flys away.....

Seriously though I can envision necro breaker builds. just to hard counter that nonsense. guards have access to 2 lines, 3 or so Kd's. Even a little stab wont save you from betting bounced around a bit.

mojojoeo on
    It does mean that we can save what little stab we do have for when we actually need it though instead of removing stupid immobilizes.

• StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    "Kylindra wrote: »
    I probably wont be able to log in until the weekend, so I guess that cuts me out.

26904.png
    edited May 2015
    By what "little you have" you mean practically none? You wont have access to the well in reaper form as its a utility leaving only elite skill buffs?

Did i get that right? (( opp! 1 new 3s of stab on a F1 skill that can be sacrificed for a fear.)) 3 whole seconds and it can be stripped by the new way stab works.

mojojoeo on
  • greebzillagreebzilla Registered User regular
    starting to play again after a long break. (newbie 80 engineer)
    couple questions:
    I see there is a 'living story season 2' package that can be bought in the gem store. Is this worth it?

as I'd been saving up laurels for something (but forget what), is there still a current guide on what to get first? One article I came across from a year ago suggested I get a 'Distinguished Circle of Logic' and work on getting exotic gear from the WvW vendors using gold and badges of honor. Is this still current? :)

edited May 2015
    greebzilla wrote: »
    starting to play again after a long break. (newbie 80 engineer)
    couple questions:
    I see there is a 'living story season 2' package that can be bought in the gem store. Is this worth it?

as I'd been saving up laurels for something (but forget what), is there still a current guide on what to get first? One article I came across from a year ago suggested I get a 'Distinguished Circle of Logic' and work on getting exotic gear from the WvW vendors using gold and badges of honor. Is this still current? :)

Use your laurels to get ascended rings, amulets, accessories.
    Start working towards getting ascended weapons.

Those will be your 'biggest' upgrades. After that point you are kind of done. The biggest time sinks and money sinks after that point are legendaries and ascended armor. Ascended armor won't get you much as the other ascended items. Legendaries don't offer anything over ascended weapons other than flavor.

When I left the game no one knew living story was going to be broken up into seasons yet and it kind of sucked. Apparently it got pretty good (for game standards) by the end of it and I guess Season 2 was pretty good as well. Additionally Season 2 is all instance based unlike Season 1. I would say if you are planning on getting HoT then Season 2 is probably worth picking up because what happens in HoT is directly tied to it. If you haven't played Season 1 then there is a youtube playlist that recaps everything here. It is about 5 hours long playlist though, but WoodenPotatoes makes everything pretty entertaining.

xgalaxy on
    edited May 2015
    Stupid wrote: »
    "Kylindra wrote: »
    I probably wont be able to log in until the weekend, so I guess that cuts me out.

Well, there aren't a lot of entries yet, so if the consensus is that we want to keep it open a little longer...we could push it back another week? Anyone object?

Kylindra on
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    By what "little you have" you mean practically none? You wont have access to the well in reaper form as its a utility leaving only elite skill buffs?

Did i get that right? (( opp! 1 new 3s of stab on a F1 skill that can be sacrificed for a fear.)) 3 whole seconds and it can be stripped by the new way stab works.

I believe you read that skill wrong Mojojoeo.

Infusing Terror pulses 3s stabs for 8 second, meaning a total of 10 seconds straight of stab coverage, most of it with 3 stacks. and they mentioned that at least the stability (and maybe the effect?) will persist after leaving RS, so you can use it to keep standing to pop off a heal or that new AoE stun elite.

Even untraited, 20 second cooldown means that's 50% stab uptime in Reaper's Shroud (assuming the cooldown starts when you use the first skill in the chain, which AFAIK most chain skills that don't summon something do).

So basically yeah, Relentless Pursuit + Lemongrass + Infusing Terror= PATHETIC MORTAL! THE VOID BECKONS!

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Legendaries don't offer anything over ascended weapons other than flavor.

Just a point - Anet confirmed that Legendaries will consistently be the top teir of weapon. So if they add a class beyond Ascended in the future, Legendaries will automatically upgrade to that.

Legenaries also let you select their stat bonuses when equipped, if that sort of thing matters to you.
    When I left the game no one knew living story was going to be broken up into seasons yet and it kind of sucked. Apparently it got pretty good (for game standards) by the end of it and I guess Season 2 was pretty good as well. Additionally Season 2 is all instance based unlike Season 1. I would say if you are planning on getting HoT then Season 2 is probably worth picking up because what happens in HoT is directly tied to it. If you haven't played Season 1 then there is a youtube playlist that recaps everything here. It is about 5 hours long playlist though, but WoodenPotatoes makes everything pretty entertaining.

I haven't done it (as I wasn't playing then and I've got other things I'd spend those gems on first), but season 2 is meant to be pretty good, and is a bridging story between the core campaign and Heart of Thorns. So if the story matters to you, it's probably worth it.

Also, you can't make Mawdrey without completing season 2.

• doomybeardoomybear Hi People Registered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »

Infusing Terror pulses 3s stabs for 8 second, meaning a total of 10 seconds straight of stab coverage, most of it with 3 stacks. and they mentioned that at least the stability (and maybe the effect?) will persist after leaving RS, so you can use it to keep standing to pop off a heal or that new AoE stun elite.

Even untraited, 20 second cooldown means that's 50% stab uptime in Reaper's Shroud (assuming the cooldown starts when you use the first skill in the chain, which AFAIK most chain skills that don't summon something do).

So basically yeah, Relentless Pursuit + Lemongrass + Infusing Terror= PATHETIC MORTAL! THE VOID BECKONS!

Isn't there a grandmaster trait in Soul Reaping that turns the shroud into a stun breaker and gives stabibity as well (with the new specializations)?

what a happy day it is

Two Pools:

Rules:

How to Enter:

Sign-ups start RIGHT NOW and will end two three weeks from today. (Barring any premature announcing on ANet's part, of course!)

You can change your entries at any time during the next two three weeks, but when they are closed, they are CLOSED and the sheet will be LOCKED. Also, all entry gold MUST be deposited by the closing date (Monday May 18th25th at 11:59PM EST) or you forfeit your choices and your right to enter.
    Stupid wrote: »

FIXED. You have an extra week, folks, use it! :)

edited May 2015
    doomybear wrote: »

Isn't there a grandmaster trait in Soul Reaping that turns the shroud into a stun breaker and gives stabibity as well (with the new specializations)?

Yup! Current version doesn't have the stunbreak, but even without it it's pretty much must-have for any necro in wuv zergs that hasn't gone full Wellomancer.

In fact, with all the well traits becoming either innate or rolled into a single trait, A Necromancer will be able to run something like This and get traited Wells, stab on Reaper's Shroud, and Relentless Pursuit all at once.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png

Yup! Current version doesn't have the stunbreak, but even without it it's pretty much must-have for any necro in wuv zergs that hasn't gone full Wellomancer.

In fact, with all the well traits becoming either innate or rolled into a single trait, A Necromancer will be able to run something like This and get traited Wells, stab on Reaper's Shroud, and Relentless Pursuit all at once.

Not sure that the protection well trait is worth taking that entire line for. How about this? http://dulfy.net/gw2traits#build=AgQBqAXkBuw~

edited May 2015
    Well doo doo. You get enough stab to slowly lurch through most stuff.....

see its just pissing me off more that a reaper MAY be a more viable melee fighter than a guardian.... And i get a bow and traps....

mojojoeo on
  • ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    Question! The luminescent armor set.

Thanks to lots of SW'ing I have all the mordrem parts I need. Still need more of the Carapace pieces, but I'm a little confused on how to get the ascended things for the collection. Do I just need to play Living Story part 2 to get them?

• BilliardballBilliardball Registered User regular
    Question! The luminescent armor set.

Thanks to lots of SW'ing I have all the mordrem parts I need. Still need more of the Carapace pieces, but I'm a little confused on how to get the ascended things for the collection. Do I just need to play Living Story part 2 to get them?

For most of them, yes.

You get four of them for doing all the achievements from parts 5,6,7 & 8 of Season 2.

The other two have to be bought from the Silverwastes vendors for 1000 bandit crests each.

Switch: SW-7948-4390-2014 / 3DS: 0688-5244-6057 / FF14: Salus Claro
  • StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    Well doo doo. You get enough stab to slowly lurch through most stuff.....

see its just pissing me off more that a reaper MAY be a more viable melee fighter than a guardian.... And i get a bow and traps....
    A reaper might be a more viable melee fighter than a guardian... but only if your opponent is asleep at the wheel. The reaper is modeled after the current MOB AI: it does a crapton of damage but only attacks one every 27 years. Those long slow windups are going to be pretty easy to dodge or block, but if they connect they'll be bringing some serious pain.

I can see it working well in a zerg fight when people aren't completely able to watch everything at once. For duels and small scale encounters? Well, that might not be the right time for a reaper to shine. I'm still pretty excited about them though. Lifetappy melee is my thing, man.

26904.png

Not sure that the protection well trait is worth taking that entire line for. How about this? http://dulfy.net/gw2traits#build=AgQBqAXkBuw~

Well, that build was somewhat based on the hope Anet succeeds in making Blood Magic good with the rework.

steam_sig.png
  • EidolonOrpheusEidolonOrpheus NoatunRegistered User regular
  • JoiryJoiry Registered User regular
    https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/lions-arch-construction-nears-completion-new-player-poll-announced/

Not sure how I feel about some of the monolithic huge structures in the concept art.

In other news New Patch today

Biggest thing is that Lion's Arch is finally being rebuilt and you can vote on the names of some of the new landmark's they're adding.

steam_sig.png
  • LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    And thanks to the data miners, the following string was added to the data files today:
    992375_0159 Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns is now available for prepurchase. Buy now to receive the Maguuma Trailblazer exclusive title and access to all beta weekend events.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
This discussion has been closed.