As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Little Blue Boy's Artings [nsfw]

• Options
    NicNic Registered User regular
    Chico, this thread is like freebasing pure, concentrated inspiration. Absolutely astounding stuff here.

• Options
    F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    Chico post way more.

• Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
  • Options
    EyecagerEyecager Registered User regular
    Whooooooaaa coming a long way dude!! POST MOOOEREEEE PLZ

Way cooler name, thanks guys!
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE!

Hello, thread. Thank you for the suggestions and kind words everyone.

Some of this dump has been posted in the Doodle Thread already.

This is a t-shirt design commission. I did the full clean version of it in Illustrator, which was a fun re-learning experience.
    6qquVci.jpg

Here's the illustration I did for Tam for the AC Secret Santa.
    otzukl7.jpg

TKRiR5d.jpg

M-m-monsters!
    YRw3k40.jpg

An ongoing series of portraits involving brightly coloured hair. Painting planar faces is pretty pleasurable. Painting non-planar faces is also pleasurable.
    9SD1Gyd.jpg

These next three images are some UNDER2HOURS figure studies I've been doing recently to help speed myself up and to just get loose. Faces, feet and hands really take a beating under the time constraint, but mostly I think I'm getting better.
    RWwmrP1.jpg
    FiVs37h.jpg
    zOvK2t7.jpg
    (The lady with the impressive obliques was more like 3 hours. I lost a lot of time just noodling on her face.)

This is some fan art for the D&D podcast The Adventure Zone. Stylistically, they're sort of like Pixar mixed with Rankin/Bass. They are very fun to draw and paint.

Magnus Burnsides, a dog lover, and a folk hero.
    o2ks8h5.jpg

This is the line art for Taako: Wizard Supreme.
    8PI552i.jpg

• Options
    CHICO! I love it all! The dnd fanart is so cool! Those figure studies are very inspiring, keep up the great work man!

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Your work feels so solid now, its crazy. I love the mix of skintones in your studies, you handle them well. Its not surprising with your observation skills, but sometimes a darker skin tone causes people confusion when it comes to rendering.

the gamer goat shirt is cool, as its not a style that I would have pegged you for so its really cool to see.

Watching you improve has been really inspiring me to work on my structural forms and start rooting out those under laying perspective and construction problems I've always had. I hope you keep posting your studies as you work on them.

• Options
    BobbyrrrrBobbyrrrr Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    I love the power glove, It's so bad! And by bad i mean good, like your artings.

Bobbyrrrr on
  • Options
    MangoesMangoes Registered User regular
    Holy cow. I was just extolling the virtues of The Adventure Zone to a friend, and that is the best fanart I've seen of it by a massive landslide. Really awesome! And those hand studies. hnnnngggg...

• Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    Nice Chico! You just made my day twice, once with cool arts, and again because I didn't know The Adventure Zone was a thing.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    F87: Thank you very muchly. I am looking forward to seeing a big dump of hand studies from you.

Iruka: I'm glad you dig. Your use of colour and design is something that I'm always envious of. Clearly we need to do some sort of artist fusion dance and merge into a horrific, universe endangering, super creature.

Bobbyrrrr: Thank you! Combining compliments with references to The Wizard is probably amongst the highest form of flattery.

Mangoes: Let our hands study each other as we high five.

Flay: Thanks! The Adventure Zone is a very good time.

Just another study dump for now.

More quicky figures. The lady on top was definitely more than my increasingly less strict 2HRS limit.
    uZR6DQ7.jpg

Some drapery studies.
    vPZnPgL.jpg
    T5ENnya.jpg

These are some Prokoish mannequinized figure studies. Some of these are pretty darn clumsy, I think. I'll probably have to do about another 80 of them.
    l4LnLe0.jpg

ChicoBlue on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    that blue satin drapery

is
    the sex

• Options
    SO'S YOUR FACE, TYNIC! HA!

Some recent junk.

I finally got around to finishing off that Adventure Zone fan art.
    yUNXx1Y.jpg

I didn't use a maquette for Magnus, but I ended up making a quick little thing for Merle and Taako. I wanted each of the characters to be pretty evenly lit, which meant that I need a few more light sources, which meant it was very complex. The maquette helped out quite a bit.
    rW7Xeto.jpg

Some animal studies.
    0plSTCV.jpg
    39F3U5Y.jpg
    2i8jpb7.jpg

A lengthy nude study.
    IQ7K86m.jpg

And a fun little fly knight.
    sF9QeNk.jpg

• Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    Dude, the amount of care you put into your stuff... damn. Props.

• Options
    hnnnnnng the belt is tops on the fly knight! They are all amazing, just the belt was the last thing i saw.

• Options
    LampLamp Registered User regular
    Hey Chico, did you use Blender to make those character maquettes? I recently decided that I want to learn some 3D software to help me learn about lighting characters and environments. What's the learning curve like? And do you have any suggestions for resources on getting started?

• Options
    Thankee, fellows!

@Lamp

I did use Blender!

My understanding is that Blender is horrible and hard to learn when compared to other modelling programs like Maya or what have you. I'm, obviously, in no way a modeller, so I pretty much just use Blender to make some really basic forms and light them to help inform things.

I also used Sculptris for the heads in that maquette (you can export Sculptris files as .obj and import them into Blender to light them properly.).

For some basic tutorials on how to find your way around the Blender interface, there is a series of videos here.

There are also a bunch more modelling videos if you just punch BLENDER TUTORIALS into Youtube. Finding one that suits your needs and then following it along step-by-step is probably the best way to figure things out.

https://cgcookie.com/blender/ has some free resources, as well as some premium courses. I haven't done any of the premium courses, so I can't vouch for their quality.

Blendswap.com/ has a bunch of models you can download for free to play with.

I hope that helps a tiny bit!

• Options
    LampLamp Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Thanks Chico! Honestly, I'm eager just to be able to set up the most basic, rudimentary maquettes to help me light scenes. I'd be thrilled to be able to position some literal boxes in the place of characters and architectural elements and see how the light falls on them. I am trying to shoot as much reference as possible for my imaginative paintings these days, but I end up stitching together scenes piece by piece and the lighting isn't unified. A 3D program like Blender seems like the best alternative to literally building scenes from clay and lighting them, James Gurney style.

Thanks again for the links, and all your super inspirational artwork, too!

Lamp on
  • Options
    ScadillaScadilla Hates shaving Registered User regular
    How does somebody get so good at so many different styles? I"m thoroughly impressed. A little envious. And maybe even a little inspired.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Scadilla: The key to adapting to a different style is to have a firm grasp of the fundamentals. Which I'm not saying that I have, but I'm slowly getting there. I don't really feel like I'm very good at any particular style. I hop around because many styles excite me and I get bored.

Had a bit of a slump recently! Boo! Then I stopped slumping! Hooray!

Now I am dumping.

Alien portrait!
    oQzpL2H.jpg

Some hot studies!
    jd3gSFA.jpg

mEEy2us.jpg

rMftZur.gif

Some fun doodle dudes!
    eApXDeQ.jpg

PjKNzhR.jpg

Drapery and faces!
    CHUWlxq.jpg

umHBHhg.jpg

Some hot robot nonsense. Some poorly engineered bits on these robots.
    mOCPmbj.jpg

The lighting setups aren't consistent between the three. The first sort of has four hot lights above it, one in front and one sort of over the shoulder. The middle has one in front and one as a backlight. The third sort of has one above, and two in front to the sides.

I've been re-reading through Scott Robertson's How to Render book trying to learn how to render different materials and guess my way around plotting reflections. Guessing at reflections is easier when the robots are standing in a big void with just a few lights around them.

I should probably try putting things in a proper environment. I should also try panting a proper environment to put things in.

ChicoBlue on
  • Options
    Those are some solid faces.

I cant even really deal with the intensity of that robobutt.

• Options
    Thankee very muchly.

Went and did a handful of environment studies

UewmuUC.jpg
    gCfJ8nx.jpg

And then went and painted a Kochikens for a 5th Friendiversary.

9kRQg1w.jpg

I swiped this hard backlighting setup from some Ryan Lang character paintings. It is a pretty fun way of defining things.

• Options
    Love the additional touches you put on your characters clothing/accessories.

Hnng, it all looks SO good.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Kochikins and the legendary Crwth Blade aside, I love the last three studies with the norman bridge and the forest panels. They are lovely!

Enc on
  • Options
    Bobbyrrrr: Thank you. Plopping in little details is a delight to do.

Enc: Crwth blade??? He wishes. Just wishes it. (Crwth's cock sword would be much bigger)

Did some building studies recently. I used Carapace to find the vanishing points and make a grid of the buildings I was referencing.

The lighting on this one is very undramatic and I left it unfinished with some construction junk on the left because that is a cool thing to do.
    F0tWQ0c.jpg

This one was going to be bigger, but after I had built this fancy arch, I realized that the 3rd vanishing point was misplaced, and not curve linear enough to stay accurate to the reference. The arch is the most interesting bit in it, anyway.
    YSUwCl7.jpg

A lot of hard, round, no opacity, no pressure brush work on this one that makes it look pretty graphical rather than painterly.
    SyWm1o5.jpg

These are some contour studies that I tried to do without any sort of preliminary sketching. It is pretty excruciating. The very top one is me taking a lot of time trying to leave crisp, confident, measured lines. I quickly abandoned that and started scribbling a bit more. It is a very educational exercise that I need to do more of.
    lePmsJD.jpg

Some lady faces from this weekend.
    Dxp7sSf.jpg

The value swatches I used for this are 80% black and a 20% white. Why didn't I go for a proper full black and full white? I dunno, man. Get off my back.
    BblEOgu.jpg

• Options
    CHICOOOO!

Love the buildings. The faces, so solid.

The contour drawings have really nice energy to them, when you loosened up, it found a nice balance between your tons of structural knowledge and a bit more confidence and playfulness. Love that too. LOOOVVVE

• Options
    Chico! These are siiiiiiiiiiiiiick, my jaw dropped! Extremely inspiring as always, thanks for sharing man!

The architecture and contour page are mind-boggling to me, I need to try something like that.

• Options
    I did a doubletake as I scrolled down, expecting those buildings to be photographs that you would have arts of later on.

The photographs were the arts. :o

• Options
    Thank you very muchly, fellows.

Just a lil' update this time:

4TNT7ks.jpg

Been doing some Scott Robertson studying recently. Still infinitely far from where I want to be, but being able to build these somewhat solid automotive designs (and without direct reference), is very empowering and gratifying. I've always been terrible at cars.

His books are very much recommended.

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Those are great! The cars seem a bit squished in width (especially towards the back end, and/or the back of the cabin), but the construction is still super solid.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    Thanks for pointing that out! The general skinniness of the cars is, I think, in part due to me guessing at wheel widths to establish the width of the cars and maybe a convergence that is a little too fast in perspective.

The cabins all look like that is because I built them in a sort of sports car fashion where the widest point is the A-pillar and then it starts to taper off toward the back.

ZPOnSCe.gif

I think it's more noticeable on mine, because I made the cabins mostly just bubbles sitting on a flat plane rather than nicely merging the forms into the rest of the back end.

Things for me to keep in mind!

• Options
    Bundle of face doodles. Playing around with some Kyle T. Webster brushes. A lot of references from Shorpy and the Sartorialist. Flash photography and oily faces are fun when you want to pick out descriptive highlights.

Cxi7YfG.jpg

• Options
    edited January 2016
    ENgABjt.jpg

gEqOZar.jpg

33izUcJ.jpg

Hot little bundle of faces and hands. Need to paint more hands. And probably more cats.

ChicoBlue on
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Whenever I see your thread at the top of the subforum I get super excited. Amazing stuff! :D

Enc on
  • Options
    Yes please more cats! I'm still using "some kitties just want to watch the world burn" as a background. Or whatever keeps you posting! :)

• Options
    SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    Damn, dog! Been a while since I've been in here. Very inspirational! Must. Study. MOAR!

• Options
    Thank you very much, fellows!

Here are some animals, one of which is a cat! The fluffy fox is sort of meh. Painting that fluff is pretty tuff.

daMf3jn.jpg

And HARUGALÖR with a D&D 5e statblock.

LM4JuL1.jpg
    HARUGALÖR
    Medium Monstrosity, unaligned
    Armour Class: 15 (natural armour)
    Hit Points: 55 (6d10+5)
    Speed: 60ft., dance 65ft.
    STR 12 (+1) DEX 19 (+4) CON 14 (+2) INT 14 (+2) WIS 10 (+0) CHA 5 (-3)
    Skills: Dance +10, Stealth +10, Perception +3
    Senses: Smell 100ft., passive Perception 15
    Languages: Abyssal, Halfling
    Challenge 3 (700XP)
    ACTIONS
    HARUGALÖR Dances. HURAGALÖR Dances giving it +5ft. movement speed and -2 Charisma.

Innate Spellcasting. HURAGALÖR uses its Intelligence for spellcasting (Save DC 13). It can innately cast the following spells, requiring only to dance while it does so:
    3/day each: Knock, Water Walk, Spider Climb
    1/day: Dimension Door

HARUGALÖR's Dance.
    All watching HARUGALÖR dance must make a DC 14 Constitution saving throw or shudder and look away. If you succeed in the saving throw, HARUGALÖR thinks that you have enjoyed its dancing and will want to dance for you again in the future.

• Options
    ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    chico, i...

• Options
    Some weekend noodlings.

The guy in the top left looks like he belongs in a low-end Sega Genesis era platformer.

HxNVtY0.jpg

• Options
    That tiger!! You handled the fur there really well.

Have you ever considered trying to do something in a more extreme colored light? Sometimes you get a bit of a rim like somewhere, but I really like the mood of this page: http://i.imgur.com/gCfJ8nx.jpg because it feels like these studies venture into a different lighting scheme than you are normally comfortable with. Something that will be useful for setting more narrative scenes, if you need to.