As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Crowfall] Game of Thrones meets EVE Online. Early Access available now.

• NerfThatManNerfThatMan Registered User regular
    Also a mount/caravan FAQ, since those just got funded
    Mount FAQ

What are mounts like in Crowfall?
    Mounts are creatures that have been tamed to act as both a companion and a steed. They provide players with a method of moving more quickly around the game, and sometimes giving them the ability to transport more items.

How do I get a mount?

Players with the right skill(s) will be able to tame certain creatures they find in the world, and some of these can be ridden as mounts. Additionally, some magic items will allow the player to manifest (summon) a mount from your inventory.

What determines if I can tame a creature?

All gameplay in Crowfall requires one or more skills; taming and riding mounts are no different! Certain creatures will require higher amounts of skill to tame than others. Skill will also be required in order to keep control of that creature once you have tamed it. Increasing your riding skill will help you tame more wild creatures, which in turns allows you to increase your movement speed while mounted.

Can you tame creatures other than Mounts? What can you do with the tamed creature?

Yes. Some creatures are a pack animals. Taming them allows you to open up a separate inventory on that creature, to add and remove items from it, and to order that creature to take simple commands like “stay,” “come” and “follow me.” If the creature is a regular mount, you can ride it, have it follow you or release it back into the wild (i.e. un-tame it). With figurine mounts, you can also dismiss them (i.e. turn it back into a figurine in your inventory, for later use).

Can mounts be attacked? Do they have health? Can they be killed?

Yes, yes and yes. Mounts are creatures in the world, so they can take damage and be killed.

Will a mount defend himself, or you, if attacked?

Yes, when you are not riding on a mount, the mount will defend itself and/or its master.

Can players use creatures higher than their riding skill allows?

No. The riding skill determines which mounts you can ride, as well as mount speed.

You said that mounts can die. Can figurine mounts die?

Yes, but figurine mounts have multiple lives. When it dies, the item takes some decay, and there is a delay timer before the mount can be summoned again. Remember that these are items, so they follow the same design philosophy as everything else: nothing lasts forever.

Can someone else take my mount?

These are items, so they are subject to the Campaign loot rules. That means there is a risk/reward scenario whenever you decide to use a mount figurine. Be careful where you take them.

What about the Kickstarter reward mounts? Don’t they last forever?

The Kickstarter mounts will be limited in use, like normal figurines – but we WILL give you a way to get the visual appearance back, if they are lost in gameplay. Our goal is not to make these “permanent”, but rather to make them temporary, but recoverable. We do want you to be able to continue to use them over the lifetime of the game, though, to show other players that you were an early backer.

Can I get more figurines in the game? Or only through Kickstarter?

There will be Disciplines that allow players to craft new figurines. However, the Kickstarter reward figurines have a unique appearance. Only Kickstarter backers (of the appropriate tiers) will have access to these mounts.

Can my Centaur character ride on a mount?

No, centaurs already have a base movement speed increase and there will be some other mechanic that allows them to travel at mount speed.

And character progression a little more detailed
    Character Progression FAQ

How does character progression work?

Character progression happens in a few different ways.

At character creation, the player selects an Archetype, and a series of Advantages and Disadvantages.

This is done on a point system; each character (or avatar) has a set number of points that can be spent to improve the character. Additional points can be gained by taking Disadvantages. There is a limit to the number of Advantage and Disadvantage runes that can be added to each character.

After creating the character and advancing your base skills to a level of competency through gameplay, each Archetype has the option to promote to another Class or occupation. We are planning for multiple promotion classes for each base Archetype.

The promotion classes enable the player to skew their character in a specific direction. Want to be a Knight who does more damage? Promote to Swordsman! Want to be a Knight who has even more defensive skills? Promote to Crusader! Want to be a Knight who has a ranged weapon and skills? Promote to Sentinel!

Can I change my Promotion Class later?

No. There are a few changes that are permanent, and this is one of them. Choose carefully.

What does a promotion class grant?

In almost all cases the promotion class increases your skill maximums on all relevant skills. This enables the player to train their skills deeper into a chosen path, becoming a master at what they do.

Most of the time promotion also grants new powers to use in combat and extends the awesomeness of existing powers.

Sometimes promotion will grant a new weapon that can be used along with skills and powers that accompany it. Such as a melee class gaining the ability to use a bow and the skills that accompany bow usage.

Promotion also offers the character a final chance to alter any of their advantages and disadvantages. At this point we think the player fully understands what would be useful to their character as a permanent choice.

What are the requirements to promote?

We are still working on the exact mechanics that will allow a character to promote to their promotion class but are pretty sure it will have something to do with skill points. Either earn a specific total amount of skill points or train some specific skills to a required amount. It might even be a combination of both.

After I select a Promotion Classes, am I done with customization?

No. In addition to promotion classes, characters can also take Disciplines, which are a type of “sub-class” to further customize your character.

Disciplines are applied by collecting Runestones in the game, and applying them to your character. Not every Discipline will be available to every Archetype – but every Archetype will have access to many, many Disciplines.

Disciplines allow you to further customize your characters skills and powers. Want to focus that Knight on more sword damage? Or increasing his Strength attribute? Or turning into a Werebear? These are the types of customization effects that can be added by using Disciplines.

Discipline runes can increase your skill max with certain skills, grant access to new skills and powers, grant you new crafting recipes, or give you the ability to master weapon types that are normally restricted.

The skills, powers and recipes granted by Disciplines are typically very thematic. For example, we wouldn’t have a generic “Weapon Master” discipline that gives you a bonus to swords, spears and shields – but we might have a “Gladiator” discipline that does exactly that, because it makes sense that a Gladiator might have that particular collection of skills.

Discipline Examples:

Alchemist Runestone

“Wine from Water, Lead from Gold”

Grants Potion Recipes
    Grants Alchemy Skill
    Grants Inventory Bag (Potions) - Potions placed in Potion bag will not explode when hit
    Werewolf Runestone

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack”

Grants Limited Time Transformation Power - Grants Werewolf combat powers while in Werewolf form
    Grants Bonus Damage Vampyre Stat
    Increases Movement speed Stat
    Grants equipment slot: Jorts
    Can my Disciplines be changed?

Yes, you can overwrite existing Discipline Runestones with new ones. Doing so will remove or reduce the benefits granted by the previous Discipline, and destroy the old one in the process.

Do Disciplines have restrictions?

Some of them do, usually in any case where an animation set is required for that weapon which that archetype may not have. For example the Cavalier Discipline (which grants shield mastery and block powers) would not be usable by Duelist archetype, because they do have the necessary skill pre-requirements (shields) or animation sets.

Can you give me some examples of other Disciplines?

Sure. Here are a few examples.

Standard Bearer

Rune Caster

Collector

Lapidary

Beastmaster

Ratcatcher

Blood of the Ancients

Berserker

Swashbuckler

Stonecutter

Commander

Where do Disciplines Runestones come from?

Disciplines are found by participating in Campaigns.

The exact method varies: they can be scavenged (meaning they will spawn in ruins, or uncovered as buried treasure when tunneling in the ground), some can be crafted (using additives and resources found in the Campaign worlds) some can be granted as a special Campaign reward.

Can Discipline Runes be traded?

Yes, but since they can’t be removed (only destroyed), you can only use them if they have not yet been applied to a character.

PSN: corporateshill
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Man. I had completely written this off till a random person I was talking to mentioned backing it, which got me chewing it over again.

By December 2016 I could really easily just pay retail for it though.

What is this I don't even.
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    glad to see this made its target and a bit more, didn't back it myself too much on the go right now and I am cautiously skeptical it will come to fruition anyways.. but I hope they pull it off cause it sounds like it would be an interesting change to the standard PVP MMO experience.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    I'm actually really excited about this. I changed my pledge last minute to $60 (up from $30) and was tempted with the silver and gold packages and their offer of earlier access. I wonder how much they were hoping for or if the kickstarter fulfilled their expectations. I took a brief look at the forums, but aside from Reddit AMA I didn't see any new information posted yet. There's quite a bit of gnashing of teeth over some of the single gender archetypes, especially the Fae Assassin, though correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't that more of a budget decision with the suggestion that they may fill in the gaps later?

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
    I'm actually really excited about this. I changed my pledge last minute to $60 (up from $30) and was tempted with the silver and gold packages and their offer of earlier access. I wonder how much they were hoping for or if the kickstarter fulfilled their expectations. I took a brief look at the forums, but aside from Reddit AMA I didn't see any new information posted yet. There's quite a bit of gnashing of teeth over some of the single gender archetypes, especially the Fae Assassin, though correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't that more of a budget decision with the suggestion that they may fill in the gaps later?

They've said that the kickstarter success has really blown them away- they figured they'd get enough funding for the core module (the Dregs ruleset) if they got lucky. They got enough for them to feel comfortable making two more campaign rulesets right away. And yes, the single gender archetypes are a convenient lore explanation for the real issue, which is animation and art are expensive.

This dude has a fairly decent recap of everything they've shared so far, if anyone wants to catch up.

Newest update about city sieging, which weirdly is light on information about the actual sieging. Also included is a short video explaining the concept- just art, no gameplay.
    Today's update focuses on City Sieging -- a key element of the Crowfall vision. Building, defending and sieging of fortifications is a primary focus of the Campaign design, and the activity around which most (if not all) the win conditions will be centered. At a high level, this system should allow players to build fortified strongholds dynamically in the world (i.e. dropping castle wall segments, towers, buildings, etc) and then using those fortifications as a combination "home base/staging area" to control the surrounding area and the materials produced there.

This video walks through an example of a City Siege scenario between two guilds... and we've also updated the FAQ a bit, to fix a few errors and clarify the idea a bit.

Video

A few notes on this scenario:

- yes, it's simplified -- and it also covers a lot of ground, quickly! This is meant to be a companion piece to the Campaign FAQ, so if you have questions, read the FAQ first!

- this scenario would be most likely to occur in late Summer or Fall of the Campaign, since the guild in question appears relatively secure in their position and the local points of interest are discovered/well-known.

- the Bloodstones ruleset was created with a secondary purpose: technically, the second guild (Kane's Fist) isn't shown as "owning" a city. This ruleset would open up the possibility for a landless guild (i.e. a mercenary company, or as we like to call them, a "band of roving thugs") to generate victory points and win the Campaign. Easy? No. Possible? Maybe!

Additionally, remember that this is a high-level description; things like warmth and construction time, placement of siege equipment and material production aren't referenced, to keep the scenario simple. In actual gameplay, the tactical decisions made by each team prior to the siege would likely provide a huge "swing factor" and dramatically alter the outcome.

Again, this is only an example! And as the video says, the most important thing to remember is: YOU GUYS will decide if this is a valid scenario/strategy, or not! These aren't scripted events. Our job is to provide the tools; your job is to figure out how to use them to your advantage.

That's it for today! Beginning this week, we will be posting game-related updates on Tuesdays and Fridays with occasional founders/team updates on Wednesdays. So, more to come later this week, and thanks again as always!

Biiiig damn FAQ about how exactly Eternal Kingdoms (instanced player owned spaces) will work.

Seems like an interesting concept. Not entirely sure how some of this works implementation-wise, but neat to see.

edited May 2015
    I've heard rumors that the first alpha tests might start later this year. I went in big with the Kickstarter, so as soon as they launch the first realms I'll be on here posting with that sweet, sweet lack of NDA.

italianranma on
    飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
    I've heard rumors that the first alpha tests might start later this year. I went in big with the Kickstarter, so as soon as they launch the first realms I'll be on here posting with that sweet, sweet lack of NDA.

That's great to hear! I am far too cowardly to kickstart things so I'm glad someone will be able to tell me what I'm missing :D

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Shadowbane is one of the only MMOs I didn't get bored with after a week... Or a few days... Or like three hours with Archeage.

I am interested.

• vicarious fanvicarious fan Registered User regular

yeah i'm glad to see more companies get away from using NDAs. Sadly i'm only in it for the Beta so i got a while.

• Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »
    Shadowbane is one of the only MMOs I didn't get bored with after a week... Or a few days... Or like three hours with Archeage.

I am interested.

Shadowbane was a great game. I think there's a lot of people curious to see how this works out.

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Shadowbane had a rad concept, but it wind up boiling down to "hey, all you peons not in the biggest guild on the server? go build castles for the biggest guild to kick over at 3am" which sucked.

• CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    I'll be down for this, when it hits retail. I've supported enough things for now that have yet to give me a return on investment, regardless of the possibilities.

488W936.png
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Nevermind.

Anon the Felon on
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDThqxoRhSM

Wow, they are way farther along with this game than I expected.

Honestly, I expected it to be vaporware.

So color me impressed!

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Yeah, sorry I've been bad about transcribing those updates into the thread. Been a bit busy with work. They've got an upcoming combat alpha though!

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Yeah, sorry I've been bad about transcribing those updates into the thread. Been a bit busy with work. They've got an upcoming combat alpha though!

That'll be important - first impressions of the core gameplay.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Well, its Alpha. So as nice as it will be to see what it is like I would hope its all going to be changing for the better at some point.

edited September 2015
    So limited Alpha playtests have started, and I'll be in one in less than an hour ...right now, they're up early. It looks like it's going to be group pvp with the Devs. Let me know if you've got some specific questions. Unfortunately I've never tried to do any recording, but I'll try to have something up for the next time. There is no NDA, so ask anything!

italianranma on
    飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    So limited Alpha playtests have started, and I'll be in one in less than an hour ...right now, they're up early. It looks like it's going to be group pvp with the Devs. Let me know if you've got some specific questions. Unfortunately I've never tried to do any recording, but I'll try to have something up for the next time. There is no NDA, so ask anything!

What classes will you be playing? I'm very interested in how the support characters perform in pvp. I usually play healers, so I'm eager to see how the game plays with no real dedicated healer role.

edited September 2015
    I should clarify; it's pre-alpha and only the Knight, Centaur, and Confessor are available right now, so I'm trying the Knight out first. I'm having a lot of trouble connecting to the host and staying connected once in-game, so I'm not doing much of anything right now.

Edit: aww, test was cancelled. Apparently just the small number of backers they've invited so far was enough to crash the server, and they need to take it down and diagnose. /shrug; it is pre-alpha after all, so I guess I did my part! I can't really get a good impression from the 4 minutes that I played, other than to say that the entire experience reminded me of Warhammer Online's release night. Zing!

italianranma on
    飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Green Menace HarareRegistered User regular
    Here is some raw footage (January, still pre-Alpha):

Noob girl playing Confessor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Qe73uQPu4o

...and Knight (tank/warrior) PoW:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnzpR7TM6Zc

3014467-ezgif.com-crop%283%29.gif
    Raph Koster on Crowfall's social systems:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ8fOOP0DLs&feature=youtu.be

Ranger is playable i.e. (pre-alpha) testable, here's some messy PvP footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPPl7MpwqyI&feature=youtu.be

• franciscourantfranciscourant Registered User regular
    I should clarify; it's pre-alpha and only the Knight, Centaur, and Confessor are available right now, so I'm trying the Knight out first. [...]
    The Knight is my favorite archetype so far and the only one I achieve to play decently (or at least that I'm not dying in the 10 first seconds of a PvP fight lol). The active blocking is pretty fun, it reflects a lot of magical damage. They added the ability to move while performing basic attacks so it feels better than at the beginning.

Siege Perilous has just started and we'll soon (hopefully -_-) be testing the siege weapons and wall destruction. Youpidou!

ps: my email is my username? D=

Speaking of sieges, catapults are already introduced; Nothing special, but I like it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9-3fnBL1zI&feature=youtu.be

@franciscourant I saw first siege video yesterday; Say, there is wall destruction and some physics after 44:10 (OFC still very few players, early tests, yadda...):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OX77x5aUQno&feature=youtu.be

PS for any Kosterites outthere, some earlier "live" game developing with him.

• RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    I like the names behind this game, but I honestly don't like what this game promises on paper.

Perhaps I will appreciate this game in action, but until then, I'm not sold.

oHw5R0V.jpg
    Roe wrote: »
    I like the names behind this game, but I honestly don't like what this game promises on paper.

We discussed Crowfall/Camelot Unchained the other day on reddit, and my (unpopular IMO) opinion is that their playerbases overlap much more than what most people think.

There is lots of prejudice on both sides of the "fence", CU is often seen as soft & a mere reskin / retro trip, while CF is considered too hardcore/full loot etc. none of which is true. Shortly, I believe that they'll end up cannibalizing on each other quite a bit in years to come.

Here's even more voxel destruction (not really serious gameplay):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2IIitlwZyQ

PS Last video is blocked in some countries, but you won't be missing much - catapults firing, walls falling down and player mostly fooling around =)

Roe wrote: »

I'm kind of the opposite.

Everything I read on paper sounds awesome to me, whether or not they can deliver who can say.

And yeah I think Camelot and Crowfall's fanbase are the same fanbase. To the point where I feel only one of these games can be successful and it might just come down to who releases first.

I know I'm looking forward to both, but only have room in my life for one. :(

• nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    I think Crowfall's design solves a lot of the issues Shadowbane, DAoC and WAR had. When CU starts talking about having Crafter Classes I start immediately getting flashbacks to running multiple accounts for buffbots, and alts for crafting stuff for the marketplace. On the other hand, I like the aesthetic of CU a lot better and the combat in DAoC (which CU seems to be emulating in some ways) made 1v1's way more interesting. I like Crowfall's overall game design better, but all these combat videos don't really look that engaging.

I don't really have time to keep up on these projects while they are in development, so I'll probably end up trying out both of them once they've gone through their post-launch shakedown and stick with the one I like better.

edited April 2016
    In my Perfect World both these teams would combine their powers like an awesome Captain Planet.

I love CF's idea for Seasons (in both the passing of time sense and sports sense) and Campaigns.

I'm totally down with the different Campaigns each having their own rules so that there is something for everyone.

But, I like the look of CU's combat, lore, and aesthetic more.

And while BDO does this and I still totally love the game, I'm not a fan of race/class being inseparable in CF.

For me there are enough pros/cons for each game that they kind of equal themselves out. I'm a backer of both and will give em both a fair shot. Guess time will tell which one will stick.

Axen on
    I'm actually a big fan of race/gender locks - simply due to many awkward "unlocked" combos. I hope that, due to banes + boons + meta + whatnot, players in CU will rather soon establish their own system of class/gender locks.

Of course, this will be moving slowly due to updates and might land on some of these "awkward" combos, still I'd prefer that over total freedom.

Updated the OP a bit, still a WIP.

Some more sieges and destruction, "Death in the Rubble":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cpcAUI07bE

• ZellpherZellpher Registered User regular
    That's looks pretty rough but like it's got a bunch of potential. Seeing people fight in the rubble is interesting. WvW was my favorite in GW2 so if this has just a better version of that I'm sold, at least for a little while.

edited May 2016
    Roughness will go away but, frankly, don't expect some huge graphical improvements. Also, Crowfall will likely require much more commitment than GW2 does, I'd say think: EVE Online.

By the way, here is a sneak peek at new siege engines and CF's CEO and Technical Director are giving AMA on /r/games (Thursday, May 5, 10 am central).

JamesGoblin on
    I'm going to be streaming playing this game tomorrow (19 Jun) from 1630-1830 PDT if anyone's interested. I need to set up my twitch account but I'll update this post with the link.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
    edited June 2016
    Ok. I've got it set up for 1630 PDT. Here is the link:

I only have one monitor, and I saw some huge framerate drops when I tried to use windowed mode and watching the stream, so I won't be able to look at chat or answer questions. Just post in the thread and I'll check it in between deaths.

I played a little this morning on the EU server: The game is still pretty rough, and very floaty. It's really hard to tell when you're attacks are actually hitting unless you look for the numbers. Likewise I can't ever tell if I'm blocking successfully. The game obviously has a long way to go, but the devs are fairly happy with the progress so far.

Edit: (1705) I'm getting some really low framerates, so I'm going to diagnose for a bit. Be back up at 1730.
    edit: (1739) streaming again
    edit: (1808): and I'm spent.

let me know if anyone was watching and I'll try to set this up a little better next time around. I'm going to leave my feedback on their official forums, but I'm happy to answer any questions here.

italianranma on
    飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。