As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

dule weilding paly (D&D)

LeXoAnvilLeXoAnvil Registered User regular
edited October 2006 in Critical Failures
so ive been going over it in my head i i thought.......why not try dule weilding on a paly ( my fav class) my basic plan was to try to improve my chances to crit as much as possable. any other sudgestions on how to make this setup work well if any one has ever tryed it?

Wii Code: 4002-9085-9397-8901
metroid prime friend code:5455-3012-7451
pokemon d/p friend code:0129 8357 1827
send pm to add me
LeXoAnvil on

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    LeXoAnvil wrote:
    so ive been going over it in my head i i thought.......why not try dule weilding on a paly ( my fav class) my basic plan was to try to improve my chances to crit as much as possable. any other sudgestions on how to make this setup work well if any one has ever tryed it?

This is a bad post. This is not an instant message program. Take the time to post with better grammar and proofreading, and people may take the time ot discuss whatever it is you want to discuss.

I presume you are talking about a duel-wielding paladin?

DouglasDanger on
  • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    You don't dual-wield with a paladin because then you need good Strength AND good Dex AND good Con AND good Wis AND good Cha.

INeedNoSalt on
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    You don't dual-wield with a paladin because then you need good Strength AND good Dex AND good Con AND good Wis AND good Cha.

Then just have a 2 int.

Have someone push you in one direction, and if anything in your 20-degree field of vision moves, you hit it. Until it falls down.

MechMantis on
  • LeXoAnvilLeXoAnvil Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    to be honest im not looking for reasons why NOT to play one its something ide like to roleplay dose anyone have some effective sudgestions to make it MORE effective?

LeXoAnvil on
    send pm to add me
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2006
    LeXoAnvil wrote:
    So I've been going over it in my head, and I thought, "why not try duel wielding with a paladin, since it's my favorite class?" My goal is to try to improve my chances to crit as much as possible. Any other suggestions on how to make this setup work well would be welcome. Has anyone has ever tried it?

My friend is doing it in a campaign I'm running. I think it's a stupid idea, since the feats required to make dual wielding work well are only worth it if you are a fighter (lots of feats to spare) or a ranger (get it as a class ability). There are lots of better ways to improve your damage output than trying to crit with two weapons.

You would have to make your dex score a lot higher than 12, which is the most you need if you want to wear plate. So aside from strength, charisma, and wisdom, now you need to worry about your dexterity score. The Paladin class had enough needed high ability scores to worry about before adding dex to that mix.

Doc on
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2006
    LeXoAnvil wrote:
    to be honest im not looking for reasons why NOT to play one its something ide like to roleplay dose anyone have some effective sudgestions to make it MORE effective?

Play a fighter?

Doc on
    edited October 2006
    LeXoAnvil wrote:

Grammar.

*cough*

It simply doesn't work. In order to be a decent dual wielding pally, you need every stat except Int. Get a greatsword or some other two-hander. They get 1.5x Strength-to-damage.

Or you could try a Paladin/Ranger. But you can't. Cause once you take a level in Ranger, you can't take another in Paladin.

MechMantis on
  • laughingfuzzballlaughingfuzzball Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    dual-wielding feat chain with a keen kukri and a keen scimitar will get you

Your crit range will be 15-20 for each weapon. You can go with longsword (or bastard sword if you're willing to spend another feat) and short sword for higher damage, but your range is reduced to 17-20. Add on combat reflexes when you get a chance for extra attacks. The Cleave chain can get you a bunch of bonus attacks as well if you use it right. You could also take Improved Crit for each weapon rather than taking them keen, but this already a feat dependant build.

It'd really work better with a Fighter or Ranger. I'd focus on either dual wield or crit monkey for a paladin, rather than doing both. There are better uses for your feats.

In third ed taking Combat Reflexes, the Cleave chain, Improved crit (scythe) and a keen scythe was fun, but keen and improved crit don't stack anymore. I've seen too many improved crit keen falchion builds to say that isn't a good thing, though.

laughingfuzzball on
  • LeXoAnvilLeXoAnvil Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    well you think there is a better way to maximize damage. im not so much looking to roleplay a dual-wielding paly ,but my last two palys have been tanked out to oblivion, and its getting tiresome. but i still enjoy the paly style of play.

LeXoAnvil on
    send pm to add me
    edited October 2006

Your crit range will be 15-20 for each weapon. You can go with longsword (or bastard sword if you're willing to spend another feat) and short sword for higher damage, but your range is reduced to 17-20. Add on combat reflexes when you get a chance for extra attacks. The Cleave chain can get you a bunch of bonus attacks as well if you use it right. You could also take Improved Crit for each weapon rather than taking them keen, but this already a feat dependant build.

It'd really work better with a Fighter or Ranger. I'd focus on either dual wield or crit monkey for a paladin, rather than doing both. There are better uses for your feats.

In third ed taking Combat Reflexes, the Cleave chain, Improved crit (scythe) and a keen scythe was fun, but keen and improved crit don't stack anymore. I've seen too many improved crit keen falchion builds to say that isn't a good thing, though.

Hey, HEY, HEY.

A 6 number threat range is just fine.

MechMantis on
    edited October 2006
    To max damage buff out strength, take a two-handed weapon, put damage-enhancing enchantments on it, and take power attack. Focus your spells on strength and damage buffs. I'd reccomend taking a great sword- it'll give you high damage more reliably than a great axe.

You'll need Str, Wis, Cha and Con. Take armor instead of Dex, and Paladins don't really need Int.

laughingfuzzball on
  • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    LeXoAnvil wrote:
    well you think there is a better way to maximize damage. im not so much looking to roleplay a dual-wielding paly ,but my last two palys have been tanked out to oblivion, and its getting tiresome. but i still enjoy the paly style of play.

2H + Power Attack?

edit: beat

INeedNoSalt on
    edited October 2006
    MechMantis wrote:

Hey, HEY, HEY.

It's only six now. When you could stack keen and improved crit, people were running around with nines.

Tack on a few -burst enchantments and maybe vorpal.

laughingfuzzball on
  • naporeonnaporeon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    It's only six now. When you could stack keen and improved crit, people were running around with nines.

Epic?

naporeon on
    edited October 2006
    MechMantis wrote:

Hey, HEY, HEY.

...Oh. yeah. Eheheh. Miscalculated.

But I play 3rd Ed and 3rd Ed only. So it really doesn't matter anyway.

MechMantis on
    edited October 2006
    naporeon wrote:

Epic?

Most I've seen take either one burst ability and vorpal (total abilities +8) or all three bursts (+7) with a mind to gett all three bursts and vorpal as soon as epic weapons become available. It's very weapon dependant.

laughingfuzzball on
  • DeepQantasDeepQantas Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    MechMantis wrote:
    Or you could try a Paladin/Ranger. But you can't. Cause once you take a level in Ranger, you can't take another in Paladin.

Ranger -> Paladin -> Ranger or Fighter -> Paladin -> Fighter progressions seem to make most sense to me. Start as a knighty type of guy who wants to become a paladin, get some formal paladin training, then go back into honing your skills with the dual weapons.

From the roleplaying perspective he'd still be a paladin. His peers would probably think he's a bit weird, but that's what you get for getting into an unorthodox fighting style.

Also you wouldn't have to take a high Wis if you don't progress too far into the spellcasting in the Paladin class.

DeepQantas on
    m~
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    "Dual" wielding.

I agree with above posts that it is simply not viable unless you are doing it exclusively for roleplaying purposes. You need too many high stats, and dex, which is required for dual wielding, is otherwise worthless to a paladin. Go for it if you are doing it for fun, though. Maybe sacrifice your spell stats?

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Burnt out mageBurnt out mage Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I play a ranger/fighter dual wielding elven thinblades ( 1d8 damage 18 - 20 threat range)

Feat wise I have.

Exotic weapon profficency for the thinblades
    Weapon focus thinblade
    Weapon specialization thinbalde
    Improved critical thinblade
    Power critical thinblade

Thankfully I have the dual wielding from my ranger levels and fighter bonus feats help a lot otherwise I wouldn't be able to pull this off untill I was several levels higher than I am at the moment. A dual weilding paladin does sound cool but I 'd strongly suggest some levels in ranger or fighter or be prepareds to use up all your feat slots on the concept and probably not get good at it for quite a while.

Burnt out mage on
  • awesome_andyawesome_andy Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Why the hell would your paladin be dual wielding?
    Doesn't he have enough crap to carry around in his free hand?
    Holy symbol, Holy Book, Shield.
    Seriously dual wielding a couple swords is what a warrior or ranger is for.

awesome_andy on
  • naporeonnaporeon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    What is a "Dule"? Some sort of exotic weapon, perhaps?

Where can I find this in the Arms & Equipment guide?

naporeon on
  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    naporeon wrote:
    What is a "Dule"? Some sort of exotic weapon, perhaps?

Where can I find this in the Arms & Equipment guide?
    I don't know, but I think he wants to weld it to something.

SithDrummer on
  • Alexan DriteAlexan Drite Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Well there are some options, not all of them good.

I assume the reason for the threat range is for Bless Weapon, which is an auto confirm on all crits versus evil creatures.

Let's see if I can't do this.

Strongheart Halfling.
    Reason: Bonus starting feat and +2 dex.
    Two Weapon fighting, Mounted Combat
    Ride by Attack at 3.
    ITWF at 6.
    Spirited Charge at 9
    GTWF at 12

That's not too bad, and you can be on a Medium sized mount, meaning you can take them into dungeons. Perhaps a Donkey, or a war pony.

Another idea is that if you're willing to take a hit in CHA maybe a Drawven Paladin, and use the Dwarven Urgrosh. Or a Gnome for the hooked hammer. Or perhaps grab the double bladed sword. If you can take a hit into fighter early and get some more feats.
    Or maybe instead you can grab improved trip and quick draw, and focus on Bolas in each hand. Riding around on your horse, throwing bolas. Or perhaps some other thrown object.

Alexan Drite on
  • Alexan DriteAlexan Drite Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Well there are some options, not all of them good.

I assume the reason for the threat range is for Bless Weapon, which is an auto confirm on all crits versus evil creatures.

Let's see if I can't do this.

Strongheart Halfling.
    Reason: Bonus starting feat and +2 dex.
    Two Weapon fighting, Mounted Combat
    Ride by Attack at 3.
    ITWF at 6.
    Spirited Charge at 9
    GTWF at 12

That's not too bad, and you can be on a Medium sized mount, meaning you can take them into dungeons. Perhaps a Donkey, or a war pony.

Another idea is that if you're willing to take a hit in CHA maybe a Drawven Paladin, and use the Dwarven Urgrosh. Or a Gnome for the hooked hammer. Or perhaps grab the double bladed sword. If you can take a hit into fighter early and get some more feats.
    Or maybe instead you can grab improved trip and quick draw, and focus on Bolas in each hand. Riding around on your horse, throwing bolas. Or perhaps some other thrown object.
    You know the more I think about it, the more I like the bola idea. That's 7 trip attempts a round (8 if you can get rapid shot). And you can kite with your mount. As a halfling you get a +1 bonus on the thrown touch attack attempt, and +1 on attack rolls. The opposed strength check isn't that great but you get to try it 7 times.

Stats: 14, 14, x, 10, 12, 14
    This is 24. With a 28 point buy you can take con to 12, or con to 10 and int to 12.
    Possibly lower int to 8 and wisdom to 10. Being a halfling your stats will be:
    12, 16, x, 10, 12, 14.
    You'll need to buy Gloves of dexterity eventually, but you'll want to get those anyways.

Oh and consider an early hit into rogue if you lower int too much. The skill points are a godsend and as a halfling it'd be a favored class.

Alexan Drite on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    :arrow: http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073834072

Just because it's a shitty thread doesn't make it okay to assassinate.

Thanatos on