As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Supernatural]: This is why we can't have nice things, Sam.

• lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Next season:
    Sam and Dean are transported by the Smoke Monster to an island that was the site of a plane crash. They must work with the survivors in order to somehow escape the island.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Just read the Synopsis on Wikipedia.

I'm so glad I didn't actually try to watch the show this season, and I'm wondering if I'll even bother looking at descriptions of the next season.

Because they seemed damned and determined to keep making the same mistakes:
    1. Stupid angst/betrayal/reconciliation plot arcs that were boring as shit by the halfway mark in season 6.
    2. Bringing in interesting characters/ideas and either doing nothing with them or throwing them away.
    3. Ridiculous, stupid, idiotic power creep.

• ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    Until they get rid of Carver, Singer, and... well, pretty much all of the current writers (ESPECIALLY Buckner and Leming), there's basically no hope for improvement. Carver has no fucking idea what made the show good in the first place, Singer loves stupid ideas, and Buckner and Leming literally write the worst episodes in the entire series.

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    Just got all caught up myself. Started back at episode 20. The whole thing mostly gets a big "eh" from me overall. There were a few moments that were touching on some good stuff. And then there's the ending that just screams "make sure to watch this fall!" Because of the way things concluded, it seriously made the whole season sort of a waste didn't it? Why did any of this stuff happen? So things can start off in a even worse place next season. It's Cas freeing the leviathan all over again. Bah.

Honestly, had they followed Death's actual plan and had this been a series finale, well, at least that would have made sense and the whole thing would be over. And if Dean seriously killed Death, well, I just recently watched an old episode of Xena were something like that happens and it doesn't end well for anyone.

• Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    I somehow doubt he's dead, or permanently so. Also why didn't they keep the scythe?

Magus` wrote: »
    I somehow doubt he's dead, or permanently so. Also why didn't they keep the scythe?

It would have been better if Julian richings had just looked vaguely annoyed at dean as he was attacked and asked "you're trying to kill death. Think about that for a second you moron."

Also, the bro's keeping death's scythe would be the king poppa of all power creep since they could literally murder anything.

• MonstyMonsty Registered User regular
    I try not to bitch about the show, but...
    Death better not be dead! What the fuck would that even mean for absolutely everything? And he's awesome anyways. Just no.

Yeah, there are other issues. I manage to turn a blind eye to them. That one annoys me on a superficial enough level that I have to mention it.

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Spoilers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCZy8cAgBlM

(Also main cast cameos, including
    Gabriel and Lucifer!)

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Osric Chau makes a great Sam.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Reznik wrote: »
    Until they get rid of Carver, Singer, and... well, pretty much all of the current writers (ESPECIALLY Buckner and Leming), there's basically no hope for improvement. Carver has no fucking idea what made the show good in the first place, Singer loves stupid ideas, and Buckner and Leming literally write the worst episodes in the entire series.

They need to give the show to Ben Edlund.

Or kill it, wait a few years and reboot.

Harry Dresden on
    I feel like an unchecked Edlund would be too weird/wacky for SPN (I mean... in comparison to good SPN, and not post-s5 SPN). Keep him as a writer, but not a showrunner.

Bring Kripke back, Gamble as a writer, Edlund, Raelle Tucker, Cathryn Humpris, John Shiban. Throw in some pinch hitting by Vince Gilligan, Drew Goddard, and Steven S. DeKnight.

...I can dream.

I don't think a reboot would be any good, though. Supernatural is built on the backs of Jared and Jensen. Even in the best seasons of the show they were still carrying some very middling scripts to a higher level.

Forget it...
    Actually watching the Finale now. I like that Crowley called out that the
    Forbidden Fruit isn't an apple. Everyone always says Apple but the most likely was a pomegranate probably. Cool touch.

Reznik wrote: »
    I don't think a reboot would be any good, though. Supernatural is built on the backs of Jared and Jensen. Even in the best seasons of the show they were still carrying some very middling scripts to a higher level.

Clean house, new people behind the scenes and the camera. Jared and Jensen may have been vital in its foundation, they don't have to do that if their replacements are up to the task and Hollywood is filled with actors on their level. CW has managed this with their recent crop of genre shows with incredible reliability. As long as the production staff and the actors are top notch the franchise will be in good hands. And they can go in different directions than this series has.

I kinda liked that finale.
    The Darkness effects were pretty cool, hopefully that ends up being something actually menacing. And they mentioned Lucifer again, if the mark is what corrupted him originally, be an excellent time to bring him back. Still probably fucked up, but dealing with realizing it's gone after eons or whatever. Dean will probably be able to get over it much faster? I hope?

• ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    I think I'm actually, after 10 seasons, fully and completely done with Supernatural after this finale.

• never dienever die Registered User regular
    Meh, I don't actually think it was that bad, or that this season was that bad. The standalone episodes were consistently entertaining, and brought a much more familiar monster of the week formula the show hasn't had in awhile. The arcs of
    Cain and Dean were actually pretty good overall.

The finale itself felt a little weak, and a lot was of course left hanging, but overall it was not too bad. I do agree with people
    calling bullshit on Death's death. It seemed way too easy, with so little flair for it to be believable. I also did find the third season in a row of Sam and Dean arguing with some type of revelation to be getting old.

• RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    I wonder if Dean
    putting a scythe through Death is what saves Crowley's bacon next season.

And if Death isn't dead, he should definitely be pissed. Winchesters have done poked the bear one too many fucking times.

But yeah this season felt like it had a bunch of good ideas that went nowhere.

RT800 on
    RT800 wrote: »
    But yeah this season felt like it had a bunch of good ideas that went nowhere.

Supernatural after season 5 in a nutshell.

never die wrote: »
    Meh, I don't actually think it was that bad, or that this season was that bad. The standalone episodes were consistently entertaining, and brought a much more familiar monster of the week formula the show hasn't had in awhile. The arcs of

The finale itself felt a little weak, and a lot was of course left hanging, but overall it was not too bad. I do agree with people
    calling bullshit on Death's death. It seemed way too easy, with so little flair for it to be believable. I also did find the third season in a row of Sam and Dean arguing with some type of revelation to be getting old.

It's funny because for the most part you are describing every season after 5, with the caveat that most of the interesting side characters are dead (see bobby, death) or ruined (castile & Crowley).

• never dienever die Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    never die wrote: »

It's funny because for the most part you are describing every season after 5, with the caveat that most of the interesting side characters are dead (see bobby, death) or ruined (castile & Crowley).

Season 6 and 7 didn't have them quibbling in the last episode as the focus of the episode though, in comparison to the end of 8, which was the climax, or 9, which was a large focus
    whether or not Dean is going to kill Metatron with the Mark.

Also, wasn't it stated previously that

(finale spoilers)
    the Horsemen cant be killed because they are forces of nature, and as long as war, pestilence, famine and death exist in the world the Horsemen will exist, and that's why famine was so much weaker than the other horsemen because there had been great strides in feeding the world?

then again since when has continuity ever mattered to the goddamn writers, now lucifers fall was caused by the mark and not because he was a assbutt who was too prideful and arrogant.

• kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    Okay. So aside from any of the other issues with the show, now that the season is over I need to vent about one thing. Am I the only person irritated by how they've handled (or rather not handled)
    Adam?

It was bad enough when everyone basically forgot about him after Season 5. I thought it was pretty shitty to have Sam and Dean leave him in the Cage with seemingly no thought or effort towards saving him, but whatever. I get that Dean was more concerned with Sam, and eventually I understood that the writers apparently just wanted to move on.

But then "Fan Fiction," which was very enjoyable, went out of its way to remind the audience about who Adam is and how they totally left him in Hell. It was a super awkward and jarring note in that episode and I really wanted to hope that they were doing it on purpose to set up some kind of real resolution to that. And then of course they never mentioned it again. I guess it was just supposed to be a bit of continuity? I just don't understand the point of reminding everyone that they've let their half-brother rot in literal Hell for 5 years and then completely dropping it again. I'm honestly kind of put off by it.

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    I will say I'm a bit interested in
    this new enemy concept, 'the Darkness'. Super-creative name aside.

Reminds me of the book Six-Gun Tarot by R. S. Belcher - when God said 'let there be light', he saw that he wasn't alone. There was a big war with God and his creations against everything else that was there.

Could finally get some good eldritch abominations as baddies.

H9f4bVe.png
  • TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »

Reminds me of the book Six-Gun Tarot by R. S. Belcher - when God said 'let there be light', he saw that he wasn't alone. There was a big war with God and his creations against everything else that was there.

198815-31871-the-darkness.jpg

Yeah, that's what we thought we would get with the leviathans, or eve or dragons.

What we will get (cause budgets are like, hard man) is a guy with some cgi effects around him.

Because the execs don't care, and they haven't for the better part of 5 seasons.

• MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    We also thought we'd get something cool with the "Deanmon" (ugh).
    What we got was stupid kareoke and an annoying Dean-Crowley Bro's 4 life thing, followed by exactly one confrontation between the brothers with Dean as the Antagonist, and then it was over after 3 episodes.

All that, for a Knight of hell.

Pretty big fucking let down.

In the season 10 musical episode, where Dean gives that girl a run-down on everything that happens after season 5, and she turns him to him tells him that he's writing some god-awful fan fiction, I wanted to shout at my screen "exactly!".

Morblitz on
    3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Just caught up with the back half of the season. Man, the end gave me a serious case of déjà vu from the 3(? 4? 5?) other times they've ended a season full of brother angst with a last second Deus Ex Machina out of nowhere and proceeded to watch a big dramatic new evil/setup for the next season unfold.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    But, I mean, this season did give us the high school musical Rushmore episode, which was one of the highlights of the last few seasons.

Just, everything else. Man.

Which would be cool, but what we'll actually get is Leviathans 2.0

And I'm sorry for the rapid fire quad post, but at this point do the writers even have any idea what powers Cas and Crowley have? Or are they just determined on the fly each week by a dice roll?

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    And I'm sorry for the rapid fire quad post, but at this point do the writers even have any idea what powers Cas and Crowley have? Or are they just determined on the fly each week by a dice roll?

They keep misplacing the character sheets, so every week they have to reroll Cas and Crowley, also the rest of the characters.

Some day they'll move that couch and find just stacks and stacks of character sheets and adventure hooks that they just completely forgot about and never mentioned again.

• Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    "We set up immortal Nazi necromancers and Jewish magician Nazi Hunters with golems? When did we do that? Why didn't we do something else with that?"

"Oh I don't know, it's hard to keep two grown-ass men angsting like 14 year olds when they're fighting Nazis."

i'm pretty sure at this point the writers don't actually write anything down. they just dictate their ideas aloud to a room full of monkeys on typewriters and hope for the best

Forget it...
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    "We set up immortal Nazi necromancers and Jewish magician Nazi Hunters with golems? When did we do that? Why didn't we do something else with that?"

"Oh I don't know, it's hard to keep two grown-ass men angsting like 14 year olds when they're fighting Nazis."

"...but I've got a great idea about a field in the middle of nowhere suddenly farting out black geysers of evil smoke. Think I'll call it "The Darkness", that should be good for a while right?"

see317 wrote: »

"...but I've got a great idea about a field in the middle of nowhere suddenly farting out black geysers of evil smoke. Think I'll call it "The Darkness", that should be good for a while right?"

Right up until someone shoots magic missiles at it.

• Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    So the new big bad will be defeated by an eye drops potion?

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
    see317 wrote: »

Are they doing a cross-over with Once Upon a Time?

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    They did murder all of the nazi necromancers so at least that hook was removed.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

They murdered a couple, it'd be easy to explain that wasn't the whole group. Also, necromancers.

• BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular

They murdered a couple, it'd be easy to explain that wasn't the whole group. Also, necromancers.

I think it'll get dropped just like so many other things though.