As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Game series you think should be revived.

• parano1aparano1a Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Another Wolfenstein please.

And I'd definitely buy a new Killer Instinct.

parano1a on
    parano1a.jpg
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Chrono Trigger absolutely does not need to be remade. They did everything right the first time, why remake it?

Javen on
  • widowsonwidowson Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Some of these games could just use a graphical facelift, leaving the gameplay alone, and get re-released and do very well with people who have never played them before.

Like:

X-Com
    Tie Fighter
    Freespace 2
    Crusader
    Alpha Centauri
    Mechwarrior 2

widowson on
    -I owe nothing to Women's Lib.

Margaret Thatcher
  • PillsAreNicePillsAreNice Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The guy who made Another World/Out of This World needs to make a real sequel.

alien.jpg

PillsAreNice on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    See my game reviews at: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=strangegamer
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Orogogus wrote: »
    MechMantis wrote: »
    I want a new xSiege myself. I loved Starsiege, but what the hell are they going to do about the story? Starsiege wrapped it up pretty well, what with Prometheus being basically blown to pieces, with only a few random Cybrid Hercs thrown into space with some of his "brains" in them...

Is that sarcasm? Because that totally sounds like a videogame sequel setup to me. It's basically a free ticket to bring back the villain whenever they feel like it. Plus they have most of the timeline between Starsiege and Tribes to work with (plus maybe Cyberstorm, or not...).

Pieces of an AI don't usually work. Basically, I understood it as: "I'm gonna send out these HERCs with pieces of me, so that when someone finds one, they know how much of a badass I was. Maybe if they feel like getting them all, then I'll work again."

But even then, the Cybrids were DEAD. Their fleets were gone, their main base at Pluto was utterly destroyed. Unless these HERCs have full manufacturing units implanted in them, then there will be no more Cybrids.

EDIT: Freespace 2 already has a graphical upgrade. Google "Freespace 2 Source Code Project". Then look at the awesomeness.

MechMantis on
    edited October 2007
    I want a new xSiege myself. I loved Starsiege, but what the hell are they going to do about the story? Starsiege wrapped it up pretty well, what with Prometheus being basically blown to pieces, with only a few random Cybrid Hercs thrown into space with some of his "brains" in them...

Is that sarcasm? Because that totally sounds like a videogame sequel setup to me. It's basically a free ticket to bring back the villain whenever they feel like it. Plus they have most of the timeline between Starsiege and Tribes to work with (plus maybe Cyberstorm, or not...).

Pieces of an AI don't usually work. Basically, I understood it as: "I'm gonna send out these HERCs with pieces of me, so that when someone finds one, they know how much of a badass I was. Maybe if they feel like getting them all, then I'll work again."

But even then, the Cybrids were DEAD. Their fleets were gone, their main base at Pluto was utterly destroyed. Unless these HERCs have full manufacturing units implanted in them, then there will be no more Cybrids.

EDIT: Freespace 2 already has a graphical upgrade. Google "Freespace 2 Source Code Project". Then look at the awesomeness.

"The Chase" is where the Cybrids who were still left were chased away from earth and hunted down as best as was possible. According to the official fluff, some cybrids did survive....somewhere...

widowson on

Margaret Thatcher
    edited October 2007
    Even so, without the leadership of Prometheus, the lone Cybrids wouldn't stand a chance.

MechMantis on
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    sigmachiev wrote: »
    chevluh wrote: »
    CHRONO TRIGGER
    Anyone remember the people who were remaking Chrono Trigger in 3d?

It's worth noting they weren't actually remaking Chrono Trigger in 3D. They were merely remaking 10 specific scenes of CT to get some buzz going about their proprietary game engine.

As for Squeenix, count me in with a new Chrono game, just to see how they do it. Fuck it, they can and should just do the 3D remake themselves, that was looking so hot.
    I don't think 3D would add anything worthwhile, honestly.

Really, I don't even care if they never remake it. Just port the fucking thing so I can be done worrying about it forever.

Elendil on
    edited October 2007
    Even so, without the leadership of Prometheus, the lone Cybrids wouldn't stand a chance.

Watch the end of Starsiege, I think even he realized that.

The galaxy is a *big* place and 'brids don't need oxygen or air. I even heard a rumor that if the Tribes series had continued, it would of involved a second Cybrid invasion since they've had a few centuries to rebuild on the galactic fringe.

What might of been..... :(

widowson on

Margaret Thatcher
  • DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Oh come on, you guys. Do you really think if someone out there decided to make another Starsiege game, they would come to a grinding halt at the story? They'd just come up with something along the lines of "olol Prometheus lives on in this arm," punch anyone who objected in the face, and then deliver a badass sequel.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Earthworm Jim. There must be a quirky dev house out there who can come up with an imaginative, humorously designed world to put Jim in. And not a port or remake. This deserves a new game.

At least it went out in good fashion and didn't try to tarnish the series's good name with a poorly conceived and rushed 3D adaptation.

You hear me? There is no Earthworm Jim game with 3D graphics. It does not exist.

Gim on
    edited October 2007
    Dusda wrote: »
    Oh come on, you guys. Do you really think if someone out there decided to make another Starsiege game, they would come to a grinding halt at the story? They'd just come up with something along the lines of "olol Prometheus lives on in this arm," punch anyone who objected in the face, and then deliver a badass sequel.

Starsiege spoiler:
    Promethius isn't dead. Go to youtube and look up the Starsiege ending.

widowson on

Margaret Thatcher
    edited October 2007
    widowson wrote: »

Starsiege spoiler:

For all intents and purposes he is. He said something about him living on in those HERCs. I don't care WHAT kind of computer they've got in them, I don't think they can have an AI of that level thrown in em. Pieces, yes. But not the whole thing.

MechMantis on
  • DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Parasite Eve. Hell I'll take a remake with prettied up graphics.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • CheesechickCheesechick Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Gim wrote: »
    Earthworm Jim. There must be a quirky dev house out there who can come up with an imaginative, humorously designed world to put Jim in. And not a port or remake. This deserves a new game.

At least it went out in good fashion and didn't try to tarnish the series's good name with a poorly conceived and rushed 3D adaptation.

You hear me? There is no Earthworm Jim game with 3D graphics. It does not exist.

I'd love a new Earthworm Jim game, but I really do think that PSP remake looked great. Especially since it wasn't just a straight level by level remake... just a retelling sort of thing.

Cheesechick on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Heavy Gear - Provided the project leader keeps an aluminum bat under the conference table, ready to use it on anyone who suggests revisiting the arena combat cliche.

Failing that, an updated Gungriffon title with less flying around and an actual plot would be cool. Roller dash and could-be-modern weapons rule.

Master of Orion - Just pretend MoO3 and the food-related parts of MoO2 never happened. Oh, and no real-time anything. Turn-based for the win.

Just Cause - With Mercenaries 2 slumming it in the jungle and a brooding blond James Bond eschewing gadgetry and one-liners for scowling menace and nagging self-doubt, I wouldn't mind a properly executed follow-up to this game, crazy stunts, grappling hook, Hollywood physics, and all. Definitely needs a change of scenery, though. Central/South America is the new Hoth.

X-Com - Just re-release it with a world map that doesn't spin like a top when you click the scroll button. And fixed difficulty settings, if that hasn't been addressed already. Can't remember.

Alternatively, maybe an X-Com game where alien hardware isn't so easily reverse-engineered, and a wide array of Earth's best infantry weapons must be employed for at least the first 1/3 or 1/2 of the game. Shotguns, SMGs, etc.

Close Combat - No 3D view, no attempts to drastically alter the gameplay. Just fix the AI so it knows how and when to attack and defend properly, and fix the vehicle pathfinding. Package all the campaigns of the existing games, updating them with the improved engine, and maybe add some things like North Africa or some Pacific island battles.

Red Baron - For the love of all that is holy, please!

Tiemler on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Anyone mentioned Voodoo Vince yet?

The_Scarab on
  • ironsizideironsizide You must whip it Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Man, some really great suggestions here. My list:
    Alpha Centauri - I still play this game regularly. I would love to see a remake just to have it brought to speed. I like Civ a lot, but I want to have SMAC's babies.

Heavy Gear - I've been a fan of the game since the beginning and loved the computer games. Whoever mentioned proper combined arms had it nailed. And it needs a proper fully customizable control scheme. A new Mechwarrrior would be a distant second. Gears rule and mechs drool!

I can't believe A Mind Forever Voyaging was mentioned. This is my absolute favorite of the Infocom games. The writing in that was indeed superb.

Planescape: Torment - I'll echo the setting needs to be used again. Darksun too. Thri-Kreen forEVAH!

My addition to the party: Interstate 76. For the sake of argument I will accept there was a sequel, but Interstate 82 was an abomination of a game. I76 got everything right, I82 got nothing right. *sigh* Muscle cars and weapons - what's not too love?

ironsizide on
    |_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
  • chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Myth. Bungie needs to buy the IP back from Rockstar and resurrect it. It'd even be good on the 360 since you don't have to worry about resource management.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    DVG wrote: »
    Parasite Eve. Hell I'll take a remake with prettied up graphics.

It's in development (a real Parasite Eve sequel, not the cell phone game they released). Still really early so we haven't heard any details or even which system it'll be on.

RainbowDespair on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    i'd posit Elite, but i have faith that Braben's going to work on it after finishing The Outsider (if not, i shall shake him violently until he complies).

And no-one agrees that a Bioware-made Syndicate would be awesome? Heathen.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited October 2007
    ironsizide wrote: »
    Man, some really great suggestions here. My list:
    Alpha Centauri - I still play this game regularly. I would love to see a remake just to have it brought to speed. I like Civ a lot, but I want to have SMAC's babies.

Heavy Gear - I've been a fan of the game since the beginning and loved the computer games. Whoever mentioned proper combined arms had it nailed. And it needs a proper fully customizable control scheme. A new Mechwarrrior would be a distant second. Gears rule and mechs drool!

I can't believe A Mind Forever Voyaging was mentioned. This is my absolute favorite of the Infocom games. The writing in that was indeed superb.

Planescape: Torment - I'll echo the setting needs to be used again. Darksun too. Thri-Kreen forEVAH!

My addition to the party: Interstate 76. For the sake of argument I will accept there was a sequel, but Interstate 82 was an abomination of a game. I76 got everything right, I82 got nothing right. *sigh* Muscle cars and weapons - what's not too love?

Planescape:Redemption

It could be Fall-from-grace fulfilling her promise to save The Nameless One; "no matter how long, no matter where you are." Make it a big story about the eternity of love and the pain one might endure for another since I can't imagine yanking someone out of The Abyss is easy, fun, or painless.

widowson on

Margaret Thatcher
    edited October 2007

Starsiege spoiler:

For all intents and purposes he is. He said something about him living on in those HERCs. I don't care WHAT kind of computer they've got in them, I don't think they can have an AI of that level thrown in em. Pieces, yes. But not the whole thing.

"I *will* see you cast down into Oblivion.....ANIMAL!"

-Prommie, at the end of SS.

I think he just backed himself up on a few external hard drives. :P

widowson on

Margaret Thatcher
    edited October 2007
    And while it never had the chance to become a franchise, Space Station: Silicon Valley has so much potential. It was released a generation too soon. If a sequel appeared, I would be in heaven.

Gim on
  • DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Zork!

I want a good old-fashioned adventure game set in the Great Underground Empire again. Zork: Grand Inquisitor was supposed to be the first part of a Magic Wars trilogy, but since it sold so poorly, Activision canned the whole Zork franchise completely.

Dalboz on
  • KatholicKatholic Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Battletanx. The second one (Global Assault) had the best multiplayer on the N64

Katholic on
  • shadeedgeshadeedge Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    MechCommander/MechWarrior. Both, preferably.

shadeedge on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • GimeCGimeC Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Stop sitting on the Chrono series, Squeenix. Come on. D:

GimeC on
  • PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Gim wrote: »

I think the problem here is that a "quirky dev house" may want to make a name for themselves in an original work. I like a lot of the games being mentioned here but many of them seem like it would be a step backward in most respects.
    One of the reasons a lot of these games were so great is because they were unique.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
    edited October 2007
    And I want more uniqueness. I feel Earthworm Jim is a fairly open-ended universe in terms of what can be explored.

Of course this isn't the early/mid 90s and platformers aren't what they used to be, so I doubt it will come back.

Gim on
  • Martin Lawrence OliverMartin Lawrence Oliver Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I don't like the idea of reviving franchises in theory. Nor do I really like it in execution, the 2D-3D leap is often made quite awkwardly. There's certainly exceptions I know.

Martin Lawrence Oliver on
  • CheesechickCheesechick Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I don't like the idea of reviving franchises in theory. Nor do I really like it in execution, the 2D-3D leap is often made quite awkwardly. There's certainly exceptions I know.

I don't know. I do agree that some 2D games are just not made to make the jump to 3D ever, but I think if it's done by a talented studio there's nothing to worry about. So I have no problem with it in theory... I only have a problem with it when it's handled by a crappy developer.

Cheesechick on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Glad to see so many people want a Chrono game :D

But I seriously doubt Squeenix will ever do it. We'll just keep on not getting any new Chrono games, Actraiser games, and no remake of Final Fantasy VII or IX which would print money!

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Paradox ControlParadox Control Master MC Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    shadeedge wrote: »
    MechCommander/MechWarrior. Both, preferably.
    Man I would love a new MechWarrior game. I loved doing all kinds of silly things with my mechs in the old Mech Warriors. Taking a heavy mech, putting a shit load of heat sinks and missile Pods on it, and killing just about every mech in the game in one shot, while also nearly killing my self by overheating.

Paradox Control on
    \
  • OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007

Starsiege spoiler:

Eh, if they wanted to close the storyline with finality, it would have been easy for them to not have Prometheus split himself up and upload the pieces into the Platinum Guard, and not have any Cybrids get away.

In any case, I think the story has more potential if they don't bring Prometheus back. It's like SHODAN in System Shock. It seems silly to keep bringing the same villain back in every game and foiling their dastardly plans over and over again. A further Cybrid schism sounds more interesting than the immediate return of the stock bad guy.

Orogogus on
  • NorayNoray Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Shadowman.

Yeah, I said it. Take one of the best, most atmospheric settings in videogame history, writing that kicks ass, characters that aren't just throw-away, and the potential for a plot that could really engross you and make you think.

Ad then?

Give it to a developer that's worth a damn.

Totally! The first game was super awesome and actually a little (a little) ahead of its time when it came out. The environments were repetitive but the narrative was great and it had a very unique atmosphere. Plus, by the end, you had tats all over your body and could swim in lava.

never played the second one but apparently it was shit so I didn't miss much.

Noray on
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I would LOVE to see a next-gen Smash TV or Total Carnage.

I also know that they would ABSOLUTELY destroy it by fucking it up horribly.

Plus, it's a real question of, other than just making the same games again with prettier graphics, how exactly would you do it? The most interesting idea I can come up with is some kind of Panoramic FPS where you esentially have a 360 degree view laid out flat for you, so as you turn left the part of the image that moves off the screen on the right side immediately shows up on the left side. That way you could see all around you at any given time.

Justify it with some kind of "special helmet".

Evander on
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Starsiege spoiler:

Eh, if they wanted to close the storyline with finality, it would have been easy for them to not have Prometheus split himself up and upload the pieces into the Platinum Guard, and not have any Cybrids get away.

In any case, I think the story has more potential if they don't bring Prometheus back. It's like SHODAN in System Shock. It seems silly to keep bringing the same villain back in every game and foiling their dastardly plans over and over again. A further Cybrid schism sounds more interesting than the immediate return of the stock bad guy.
    Cyberstorm?

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • StriferStrifer Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Javen wrote: »
    Chrono Trigger absolutely does not need to be remade. They did everything right the first time, why remake it?

Now that you mention... They should remake Chrono Cross, since there is ample room for improvement.

Is Shadowman 2 any good? I loved the first one and I would very much like to play the second one, but I am not sure whether to snag myself a copy or not.

Strifer on
    MikoSuikaLine.jpg
  • MistaCreepyMistaCreepy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Tiemler wrote: »
    Red Baron - For the love of all that is holy, please!

You win. And how about an Age of Rifles sequel/remake... I wish Norm Koger would just give us the source code like he did TOAW 3. Then matrix can pretty it up and release it.

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.