As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WINDOWS PHONE] Windows Phone 8. From Very Small to Sorta Small.

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    First WP10 technical preview build is now available, for specific devices. This isn't a beta like prior WP preview builds have been, this is definitely an unfinished, early-in-development, very rough around the edges preview.

Currently the supported devices list is basically a bunch of midrange, recent Lumia devices. This is due to a feature that they're still working on that'll allow them to repartition the system storage on the fly (necessary for deployment of WP10 to high end devices which tend to have tighter OS partitions).

For now, this should be regarded as a build for bleeding edge enthusiasts that don't absolutely need everything on their phone to work reliably, including basic stuff like standard ass phone calls. Here's a video of Joe Belfiore showcasing the new features of WP10:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckzhX1O6Lto

And here's the blog post for all the information you need to consider if you are thinking about trying this out. http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/02/12/announcing-the-first-build-of-windows-10-technical-preview-for-phones-2/

New builds will be roughly timed to release simultaneously with new desktop builds of Windows 10.

• McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    Well, I'm not sure I'd even want to try it, but since my phone isn't on the list, that answers that.

Hopefully it's closer to a usable daily OS when they get the features built that they want to support flagship style devices.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    "Full" Lumia Denim (with support for Lumia Camera 5.0) is finally rolling out on RM-985 (Lumia 830s) finally--excellent news, as it apparently addresses some 830's nasty problems with auto-restarting as well as adding new functionality.

Since updating from 8.0 to 8.1 gives you that goddamn music cracking, I'd recommend the 830 for anyone who wants a WP handset that has glance, wireless charging built in, and an MicroSD slot--it's brilliant in those regards. The HTC One's got great build quality, but lacks some of those features.

• curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    bought a 635 as my first smartphone, and have been happy with it thus far. hasn't gotten denim yet, so lack of an equalizer in the audio settings is a little annoying. has the features i want:

- nokia durability
    - unlimited text
    - unlimited data
    - can act as a hotspot
    - decent web browser
    - navigation
    - 30 bucks a month

cortana's not bad either!

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
    edited April 2015
    I still absolutely hate they took google integration out of the browser. Bing isn't that bad, but the bringing-up-Cortana when I search is incredibly annoying to me.

I have the google app now for whenever Bing can't find something, which does still happen, but that's no better that using Cortana.

I mean, I like Cortana, but I dont want to use Bing for my simple website searches.

McFlynn on
  • amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure the removal of Google search is phone-specific. I could be wrong though.

steam_sig.png
    I thought it affected all Lumia phones that get the denim update. It doesn't apply to all regions though.

• CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    I've got a 630 with Denim and it has the option to switch to Google in the IE settings. Somewhere in there. The settings layout isn't the best.

Edit: Maybe they exempted Australia because MS super likes us?

Cyvros on
    Cyvros wrote: »
    I've got a 630 with Denim and it has the option to switch to Google in the IE settings. Somewhere in there. The settings layout isn't the best.

Edit: Maybe they exempted Australia because MS super likes us?

I just found an article that specifically lists the 630 as one of the phones that is not given the Google option, so yeah, I guess Microsoft likes Australia this one time.

Wow. That is bizarre.

I really wish we'd be able to just specify our own search provider.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Is there no Chrome browser on the app store?

Nope. Only other decent browser is Opera but its still beta.

The google search app is basically a browser with zero features.

I should probably give Opera another go at some point. There's one app that lets me search DuckDuckGo through Cortana, but because it's a workaround, it's a bit of a pain.

edited May 2015
    I knew I had some money left in my Microsoft account from back when I actually played my 360, so I decided to randomly check the amount I had left the other day. Turns out I have 20 bucks that expires at the end of next month.

I've switched how I buy my music and I don't use my 360 anymore,so I've decided to buy a whole bunch of phone apps instead. I've already paid for a few free ones that I was using. I'm probably going to buy the mytube youtube app, since its sorta better than the free one I've been using.

Any recommendations for apps? I don't really do games on my phone. I have like 30 gaming devices, at least 5 of them portable, so I've never really been a phone gamer, but if you know something thats absolutely your favorite, I'd still look at it.

McFlynn on
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Oddly enough, the only paid-for apps I have on my phone are all games. Out of those, probably my favorite three are (in descending order):

Plants vs. Zombies
    Mass Effect: Infiltrator
    Minecraft Pocket Edition

Those are closely followed by the Halo: Spartan ______ games. But, ultimately, I don't really use my phone much for gaming since that activity tends to absolutely wreck an already short battery life (basically I have to charge the thing every night).

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    edited May 2015
    McFlynn wrote: »
    I knew I had some money left in my Microsoft account from back when I actually played my 360, so I decided to randomly check the amount I had left the other day. Turns out I have 20 bucks that expires at the end of next month.

I've switched how I buy my music and I don't use my 360 anymore,so I've decided to buy a whole bunch of phone apps instead. I've already paid for a few free ones that I was using. I'm probably going to buy the mytube youtube app, since its sorta better than the free one I've been using.

Any recommendations for apps? I don't really do games on my phone. I have like 30 gaming devices, at least 5 of them portable, so I've never really been a phone gamer, but if you know something thats absolutely your favorite, I'd still look at it.

Do you have a good podcast app? Annoyingly, there are an abundance of bad ones that either don't automatically update, only download podcasts once, don't see most podcasts, or are otherwise flat-out broken.

Pocket Casts, so far, as been surprisingly usable:

https://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/pocket-casts/55b093dc-219e-472e-9545-4c317f59cb57

Synthesis on
    Microsoft cheaps out after Nokia phone saves a life.

I didn't make up that tagline. This is jaded tech hipster blogger at its very, very best.

• wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    it's really bad PR by microsoft, and an even worse headline by Engadget. Engadget isn't wrong, but could have used more....tact.

Seriously though Microsoft. You probably have stacks of unsold lumia 9x0 phones. Just give the kid one.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    edited May 2015
    Giving the kid a 2 -3 year old phone would have been better? I'm not convinced.

Even a 930, which is a year old, would be missing a number of features a new Lumia 640 XL (as well as having a smaller screen, to those who care about that).

I like Engagdget--that's how I heard this story that literally only they enough to report--but I have no doubt in my mind that the tagline would read, "Microsoft insults man with old phone after Nokia saves a life." This is Engadget we're talking about here.

And if they gave him any other 9-series Lumia, well, let's be real: they'd be calling for Microsoft to pay in emotional damages (definitely to the man, possibly to the wall).

Synthesis on
    Yeah, I don't see a way for Microsoft to win here. Either they give the dude an old phone, or a budget phone. The budget phone is probably better than the old phone. They are likely 6-10 months away from releasing any sort of new flagship phone.

• amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    Also, seriously, Microsoft didn't even have to give the guy a phone at all!

steam_sig.png
    Apparently, giving him a new 640 XL was barely better than punching him in the face.

At least, I have to think a bunch of guys at Microsoft are laughing their heads off at this, because I know I was.

"Hey, get a load this blogger! When a wall collapses on him and nearly kills him, let's be sure to send him an iPhone 4 free of charge!"

• wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    http://gadgets.ndtv.com/microsoft-lumia-640-xl-2461-vs-nokia-lumia-930-1455

So, the 930 has a 720p display on a smaller screen. And honestly I consider that a push. the 640 xl also has a microsd card slot, but the 930 has more built in storage. That's a "whichever you prefer." the 930 is better than the 640 in every other measurable way.

just because the 640 XL is brand new doesn't make it a better device, it makes it newer. Faster processing, more built in storage, more ram, bigger battery (+ lower screen resolution means longer life), much better camera (not just megapixel count, but quality), more sensors, etc.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    wunderbar wrote: »
    http://gadgets.ndtv.com/microsoft-lumia-640-xl-2461-vs-nokia-lumia-930-1455

So, the 930 has a 720p display on a smaller screen. And honestly I consider that a push. the 640 xl also has a microsd card slot, but the 930 has more built in storage. That's a "whichever you prefer." the 930 is better than the 640 in every other measurable way.

just because the 640 XL is brand new doesn't make it a better device, it makes it newer. Faster processing, more built in storage, more ram, bigger battery (+ lower screen resolution means longer life), much better camera (not just megapixel count, but quality), more sensors, etc.

Wait, so not having a MicroSD card is "whichever you prefer," but a faster processor is unquestionably better? What?

And you realize the Lumia 930 has a much higher resolution screen, not the 640--which means less battery life according to you--as well as a smaller battery? It's already known that a 640 XL has way longer life than a 930. What phone are you trying to make a case for?

You also didn't mention Glance support, which the 930 lacks, but the 920--the actual phone its replacing--has.

Fake edit: And hell, since you said "In every other measurable way," that same website you link shows the 640 XL has a 5-megapixel front-facing camera, which is literally in an entirely different class than the 1.2-megapixel camera on the 930.

• ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    Personally, they should have offered the guy a free repair/replace on his 920 and then invited him to a launch event of the next major flagship to give him the very first model off the production line.

Ziggymon wrote: »
    Personally, they should have offered the guy a free repair/replace on his 920 and then invited him to a launch event of the next major flagship to give him the very first model off the production line.

Given how these things work, I suspect the "very first model" would be promised to someone else no less deserving.

That, and "The next major flagship, whenever the hell that is," is a pretty hollow promise.

• ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

Given how these things work, I suspect the "very first model" would be promised to someone else no less deserving.

That, and "The next major flagship, whenever the hell that is," is a pretty hollow promise.

Not really, the very first model could be first production model, first press release model or first retail release, not hard to just hand one over with a nice photo opportunity.

Really the whole story should signify how awesome the 920 really is and even against the 1020 and the 930 seems to really hold its own. Its my favourite Lumia model by far.

edited May 2015
    Synthesis wrote: »

Not really, the very first model could be first production model, first press release model or first retail release, not hard to just hand one over with a nice photo opportunity.

Really the whole story should signify how awesome the 920 really is and even against the 1020 and the 930 seems to really hold its own. Its my favourite Lumia model by far.

That's pretty different, and more feasible.

Still dependent on entirely when the next flagship is actually produced, much less announced. Don't think "We will be giving this young man a new phone in the (indefinite) future," would play well.

Giving him a new 920 right off the bat is, of course, very doable. Though not all 920s have had supported for updates to full or partial 8.1, which websites like Engadget would totally bitch about.

Synthesis on
  • WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    Question for everyone here. Currently I have a Lumia 521. While it is serviceable I am constantly running into issues with things such as the native podcast/music apps crashing and similar problems with twitter. Since it is only 512mb of ram I was looking at some other phones (435,920,640) that have 1gb. Does this actually alleviate any of the issues or is it more a problem with the OS? I am having a hard time justifying not switching back to android, but I haven't really priced anything out over on that side of the fence.

This isn't exactly the information you're wanting, but of the two WPhones I've had, both had more than 512mb RAM and I haven't run into those kinds of issues. Only real apps that have crashed have been various YouTube apps.

From my wife, I've heard that Android is really starting to get over its ugly teenager phase though.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    This isn't exactly the information you're wanting, but of the two WPhones I've had, both had more than 512mb RAM and I haven't run into those kinds of issues. Only real apps that have crashed have been various YouTube apps.

From my wife, I've heard that Android is really starting to get over its ugly teenager phase though.

I'd say its been over that for nearly three years at least, if not longer

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    Naphtali wrote: »

I'd say its been over that for nearly three years at least, if not longer

Threeish years ago apps were still largely written for 2.2, honeycomb fragmented support for larger screen devices, and everything crashed all the time.

It was definitely better than the "at least its not an iPhone" childhood though.

• WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular

Thanks! Googling does indicate that there are ram consumption "issues", however the fix suggested is just closing things in the background. My problem is I can turn the phone on and the podcast app (as an example) will crash 2-3 times before loading properly. It has sorta come down to "am I will to spend $70 on an upgrade" but it may not address the issue. Sounds like it may be a solution.

• BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    How are Windows phones these days? It's time for a new work phone and I'm not sure I want an iPhone 6 (or S). Last Windows phone I had was a couple years ago, some Nokia. Pretty sure it was early Windows 8 phone?

The things that are good about them are still good, the things that are bad are still bad. A couple new flagships are coming out which will be the first Windows 10 mobile phones... They look promising but 10 mobile is a big jump from Windows phone 8.1, so I can't really recommend for or against them until they've been out a couple weeks to see if there are any big issues.

OOooh Windows 10 phones, I'll have to hold out for those.

Bigity wrote: »
    OOooh Windows 10 phones, I'll have to hold out for those.

Bear in mind, the new flagship phones look like they won't be running on CDMA networks (only GSM). Also, sounds like only AT&T will be getting officially licensed phones...but Microsoft is going to direct-sell unlocked phones through their store. Personally, I'm hoping to scoop one up as soon as they come out (my 920 is starting to show its age), and damn the $650 price-tag.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    Well mine would be work phone, so I may hold out a little longer and see how Worx (our MDM solution of choice) works on them. Right now it's not very good.

edited November 2015
    By the way, just thought I'd mention: MS Store is now accepting preorders for the 950XL. Release date: November 25th. I am sorely tempted to plunk down the $700+ (tax) for it...but it'd be my first phablet (5.7" for the 950XL compared to the 4.5" of my current 925), and I'm a bit reluctant to buy one without getting my hands on the device beforehand to see how it feels.

EDIT - and it looks like two things happened since last night: 1) they're not accepting preorders anymore, and 2) they've pushed the shipping date back to December 11th.

Erlkönig on