As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Seven Soldiers!

13»

• GABBO GABBO GABBOGABBO GABBO GABBO Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I really hope they do a mega hardcover collection of some sort.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited October 2006
    I hope they do an Absolute edition and give me on for free

Garlic Bread on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Man I need to find this

and stop reading spoilers!

DouglasDanger on
  • hughtronhughtron __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2006
    Manifest wrote:

For sure. Are the Absolutes about the same size as Marvel's oversized hardcovers? I like Marvel's OHC because they are considerably cheaper.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
    edited October 2006
    So I finally read it. All I have to say right now is

man what that was awesome but my brain hurts

[spoiler:a0d5cff16e]
    Klarion is the traitor, and he takes the fatherbox and Frank to the future! I hope we get to see Frank rebel somehow, and slay a whole lot of Sheeda.

I hope we get more of Aurakles too.

Which of the Seven Soldiers will betray the others? Klarion the Witch Boy
    Which two will cross paths? Either Zatanna and Manhattan Guardian or Klarion and Frankenstein
    Who will find love at the end of the world? Manhattan Guardian
    Who will change forever? Shining Knight
    Who will face the ultimate villain? Bulleteer
    And which Soldier will die? Mister Miracle[/spoiler:a0d5cff16e]

There was so much in this book. Each panel on some pages could have been a comic! Crazy amounts of compression going on here.

JH Williams III is one of the most amazing artists ever to work in comics.

DouglasDanger on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    hughtron wrote:
    Manifest wrote:

For sure. Are the Absolutes about the same size as Marvel's oversized hardcovers? I like Marvel's OHC because they are considerably cheaper.

Marvel's are way smaller, I think.

EDIT: I'm not sure what to make of Klarion. I love the little bastard.

august on
  • Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    hughtron wrote:
    Manifest wrote:

No, they're closer to Marvel's Omnibus volumes (Uncanny and Fantastic Four are the only ones out at the moment, with New X coming out soon). Omnibus volumes aren't cheaper at all.

And regarding Klarion: I like him even more now, and I liked him a lot before!

Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
    edited October 2006
    Yeah, me too, I'm just not sure... what he's doing... now. You know?

august on
    edited October 2006
    No, they're closer to Marvel's Omnibus volumes (Uncanny and Fantastic Four are the only ones out at the moment, with New X coming out soon). Omnibus volumes aren't cheaper at all.

My Eternals Omnibus is exactly the same size as my New X-Men OHCs, at least height-wise. The only difference is the crap-ton of pages.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    hughtron wrote:

My Eternals Omnibus is exactly the same size as my New X-Men OHCs, at least height-wise. The only difference is the crap-ton of pages.

Oh, well, then I guess they are. Absolutes are bigger. 13 inches versus 11 and a half, I'd guess.

Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • The_LightbringerThe_Lightbringer Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    It was okay, its rather difficult to explain for myself. Since there's nothing inherently BAD about the comic (Aside from that ridiculous wait time), it has some highlights, but it was otherwise an unremarkable comic book.

Is there something wrong with me?

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    It was okay, its rather difficult to explain for myself. Since there's nothing inherently BAD about the comic (Aside from that ridiculous wait time), it has some highlights, but it was otherwise an unremarkable comic book.

*Braces for hughtron*

Sars_Boy on
    edited October 2006
    yes

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
    edited October 2006
    For seriously, you can dislike whatever you want, I mean I hate like 90% of everything Warren Ellis writes.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    It seemed to me like at least 3 of them didn't even have anything to do with the story.

In other words I had no clue what was going on.

Scooter on
    edited October 2006
    Does anyone else have good annotations? I greatly enjoy reading those. 7S is so dense that is fun to read a book once, then read it again while looking at the annotations.

DouglasDanger on
    edited October 2006
    Does anyone else have good annotations? I greatly enjoy reading those. 7S is so dense that is fun to read a book once, then read it again while looking at the annotations.

I find the actual Barbelith comic books board is usually pretty good. They started out as an Invisibles message board, so they're all pretty Morrison-crazy, plus JH Williams III and Cameron Stewart both post there fairly regularly. They had a thread for every soldier when the books were coming out.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • ravrav Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    august wrote:
    [spoiler:1095fe67e3]Klarion wins. HOT SHEEDA HOEBAGS[/spoiler:1095fe67e3]

Also, holy crap now I have to go back and reread everything.
    Not like he's going to do anything with them [spoiler:1095fe67e3]he's a fairy queen now[/spoiler:1095fe67e3]dog.gif

In other words, I could gush over and over how awesome SS#1 was but I think you guys got that covered pretty well. :D

rav on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I have no idea what the fuck happened in this issue.

Bloods End on
  • Conditional_AxeConditional_Axe Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    So, why's Klarion palling around with Robin in the December solicits. Don't seem too likely.

Or is this a New Earth thing?

Conditional_Axe on
    edited October 2006
    No idea. Noone can seem to figure that out.

DouglasDanger on
  • Conditional_AxeConditional_Axe Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    maybe frankenstein teaches him the error of his ways?

or nobody knew how the story was going to end until the last possible minute?

Conditional_Axe on
  • Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Hypertime.

Spectre-x on
  • The LuggageThe Luggage Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Question:

[spoiler:5aa388dfe0]Do the people that Zatanna accidentally killed in trying to find her Dad's books come back to life in this book?

'cause they're all starring in books in a few months.[/spoiler:5aa388dfe0]

The Luggage on
    Interminable
    edited October 2006

[spoiler:a775de15a6]Fuck, he could just get bored of the whole thing and leave. He told his mother he wanted to be many things before he died, and I think being The Fairy Queen forever wouldn't really count. The whole idea of him being just an evil monarch from here on out just seems WAY out of character to me. At any rate I don't exactly see hat he "betrayed" the group, he just essentialy did what Misty was planning on, except he's having a good time. Or maybe Father Box has driven him nuts. I dunno[/spoiler:a775de15a6]

august on
    edited October 2006
    Anyone have a Barbelith account, and fancy helping get in? On? About?

august on
    edited October 2006
    august wrote:
    Anyone have a Barbelith account, and fancy helping get in? On? About?
    I just lurk. I think it's by invite only, so I've never actually gotten an account.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • The CowThe Cow Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I have an account, but honestly you can just contact one of the administrators and go from there. They're pretty cool about it, I definitely didn't know anyone on there when I got an account. If that totally fails I guess I can do something but I don't really post there very frequently at all, so don't know anyone there.

The Cow on
    edited November 2006
    DouglasDanger on
  • The_LightbringerThe_Lightbringer Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    august wrote:

[spoiler:ab8e9729e1]Fuck, he could just get bored of the whole thing and leave. He told his mother he wanted to be many things before he died, and I think being The Fairy Queen forever wouldn't really count. The whole idea of him being just an evil monarch from here on out just seems WAY out of character to me. At any rate I don't exactly see hat he "betrayed" the group, he just essentialy did what Misty was planning on, except he's having a good time. Or maybe Father Box has driven him nuts. I dunno[/spoiler:ab8e9729e1]

[spoiler:ab8e9729e1]I want to be many things before I grow up mother...

Today I am a FAIRY QUEEN!!![/spoiler:ab8e9729e1]

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I'd like to have them all released as a boxed set of issues that you can shuffle around and also as individual miniseries plus bookends in a sumptuous Absolute collection printed using the finest intelligent inks from Mars and Venus on paper so smooth and so sexy that one touch is like fortnight's worth of non-stop latex sex.

:^:

Also, I very much agree with this:
    It seems clear to me now that words barely have any actual meanings at all - people project their own personalities, fears and desires onto everything they read and will argue black is white if need be.

Furu on
    edited November 2006

Huh:
    [spoiler:ebb48af7ef]GM: Beats me. She's found her way into the regular DCU as a kind of cipher who crops up when writers need a 'lame' hero to stand around in crowd scenes. I have no control over how people handle the Seven Soldiers characters in my wake - Klarion already seems barely recognizable and appears to have returned to his role (a role no-one could ever sell in the first place) as a teen warlock who turns up to fight DCs younger characters - a sort of Goth Mr. Myxyzptlk. I honestly don't expect anyone to actualize the potential of these characters, but I'd like to be proven wrong. The Guardian and Frankenstein could join the JLA. [/spoiler:ebb48af7ef]

Guess that makes me not really care about following up these characters. To get any insights as to Grant's intent, anyway.

august on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    That quote makes me feel kind of conflicted. On the one hand, I agree that writers should actually pay attention to what's happened to a character, and move them along a path that stays true to their past. But on the other hand, Morrison's being a bit of a hypocrite, as all the Soldiers are just revamps of past characters that aren't really true to what happened with them before. Shilo Norman wasn't P-Diddy before Morrison got ahold of him. Booster Gold's characterization in 52 was pretty much the exact opposite of what everyone expected coming out of OMAC/IC. He comes across as kind of petty and holier-than-thou, when he's done the same exact thing to characters he's worked on.

Munch on