As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Charcuterie 101 - The Silence you hear is the meat deliciousifying...

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    None of those images worked :(

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Yeah they're getting moved/deleted messages sadly. :( They sound amazing though! Can't wait to see more!

And yeah I do apologize being quiet on this front. I do have some cool stuff coming down the pipe though! I backed the Steak Locker Kickstarter so the unit should be arriving within the next week or two!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1343942869/steaklocker-the-first-in-home-dry-age-steak-fridge

I'm going to finally be able to both dry-age my own steaks AND have a proper drybox to make dry cured sausage! :biggrin: I cannot wait. Currently it's stuck on the docks of Long Beach Harbor due to a dock workers strike so we'll see how things come together. Expect more deliciousness soon! :)

• Options
    That is.. awesome.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    They showing up now?

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    darkmayo wrote: »
    They showing up now?

yep!

and I'd like a pound of that turkey to show up at my house please!

• Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    They showing up now?

God yes they are, and 2nd'ing the turkey and the jerky! That looks amazin!

• Options
    Xaquin wrote: »
    They showing up now?

yep!

and I'd like a pound of that turkey to show up at my house please!

Finding that cut around Xmas/Thanksgiving was a breeze, bit trickier now I am sure I could track it down.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    So been making Jerky like crazy these last few weeks, was having trouble finding Flank steak until just this week. So here we are.

Mess of Marinated Flank Steak, Marinate was some dark soy, Worcestershire, brown sugar, cinnamon, onion powder, paprika, black pepper.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10155153381875277&l=3a355c0b65

Loaded up the WSM, going to look into getting some additional racks so if I do more meat I can get it all done in one shot.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10155153381785277&l=3cb94b0069

Gorgeous, smokey (Hickory wood) beef jerky

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10155153381950277&l=faaebf211a

The entire haul, not much left now but everyone seems to enjoy it.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10155153382030277&l=89b098ecf6

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    So been making Jerky like crazy these last few weeks, was having trouble finding Flank steak until just this week. So here we are.

Mess of Marinated Flank Steak, Marinate was some dark soy, Worcestershire, brown sugar, cinnamon, onion powder, paprika, black pepper.

Loaded up the WSM, going to look into getting some additional racks so if I do more meat I can get it all done in one shot.

Just a heads up: those plastic baggies hold in hella moisture because of the way the jerky sits in them.

If you toss your jerky in one of those cylindrical plastic tupperware containers so they sit upright like a bunch of straws they will stay fresh for longer. Though, if you eat it super fast, it won't really matter.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2015

Just a heads up: those plastic baggies hold in hella moisture because of the way the jerky sits in them.

If you toss your jerky in one of those cylindrical plastic tupperware containers so they sit upright like a bunch of straws they will stay fresh for longer. Though, if you eat it super fast, it won't really matter.

Yea the jerky lasts maybe a week. Did more this past weekend, tried some different flavors, did a Jerk Seasoned Jerky, Peppered Jerky and more of the Regular Jerky, no photos this time around unfortunately. Friends are really liking the Jerk flavored ones I have a friend in Sweden who I want to send some of this stuff out to but the laws on sending cured meat products from Canada to Sweden are interesting. Might end up just packing it up and shipped it out stealth like via Fedex as I have no idea how to get documentation on the meat I am purchasing from a grocery store.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options

Yea the jerky lasts maybe a week. Did more this past weekend, tried some different flavors, did a Jerk Seasoned Jerky, Peppered Jerky and more of the Regular Jerky, no photos this time around unfortunately. Friends are really liking the Jerk flavored ones I have a friend in Sweden who I want to send some of this stuff out to but the laws on sending cured meat products from Canada to Sweden are interesting. Might end up just packing it up and shipped it out stealth like via Fedex as I have no idea how to get documentation on the meat I am purchasing from a grocery store.

Yeah that's what I ended up doing as well. Pack a few food grade dessicant bags inside with the jerky and use a drier cure and you should be good. then seal the bag within a few more bags and you should be ok. I shipped mine in a padded fedex envelope and no one was the wiser for it.

• Options
    my local butcher only sells brisket at 5lb chunks.

$54 each

I like corned beef, but not that much =(

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I like corned beef that much

Also let's stop short of discussing getting around mail laws.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    ceres wrote: »
    I like corned beef that much

Also let's stop short of discussing getting around mail laws.

No worries, its a weird thing anyways, apparently Sweden has really expensive shit jerky. The fedex link for Sweden states this.

The importation of food products containing meat or milk products for personal consumption is prohibited unless accompanied by the necessary documentation from the official veterinary services of the country of origin. Infant milk, food and special foods required for medical reasons can be imported under the condition that these products do not require refrigeration before opening, that they are packaged proprietary brand products for direct sale to the final consumer, and that the packaging is unbroken.

The question would be, how would I go about getting that documentation. I am looking through Canada's export laws and such.

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/food/meat-and-poultry-products/manual-of-procedures/chapter-11/eng/1362883479397/1362883578588?chap=0#c3

Clear as mud.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    Another successful batch of Jerky this weekend. I used this Jerk marinate on the flank steak.
    0005527083972_500X500.jpg

I have access to just jerk seasoning but I wasn't up for making my own marinate this time around and I like most of the stuff this brand does.

We had mild weather in Calgary so keeping temp around 150 was pretty easy, took about 4-5 hours total after the meat marinated over night.
    Used Maple chunks for the wood in this batch, certainly not as strong as the hickory but it puts a nice smoke flavor to the jerky, and the Jerk seasoning gives it a bit of kick.

If you are wondering what it all looked like just refer back to my other recent jerky pics and imagine the meat a bit darker. :D

I'll do up something interesting soon, been looking around for anyone to get me some game meat, deer etc. I know a few hunters and friends of hunters so we will see what I can scrounge up.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    so I found a 3 lb brisket and am trying corned beef

my house smells so good right now and I'm just simmering the brine ....

• Options
    ok, so, I messed up

once the brine had simmered and cooled, I was ready to put the brisket in!

Only to open the package and find out it was already brined =(

So I boiled it in spices for three hours and am eating it slowly.

How long is the brine good for? I funneled it right back into the gallon water jug I had bought. It's in the fridge now.

=P

• Options
    If it's unused and in the fridge, indefinitely. If it's used, about a week or two.

• Options
    It is unused and in the fridge =)

• Options
    Xaquin wrote: »
    It is unused and in the fridge =)

Good rule of thumb is if it's murky/cloudy, it is probably bad.

• Options
    Man all this talk about brining had me go out and decide to work on another project. I just started a batch of 14lbs of Pork loin which will become whiskey-maple glazed canadian bacon. three long days to go!

• Options
    Man all this talk about brining had me go out and decide to work on another project. I just started a batch of 14lbs of Pork loin which will become whiskey-maple glazed canadian bacon. three long days to go!

So how did it all turn out?

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    Pretty good all things considering. I kind of messed up on the glaze and added too much whiskey. I'll have to make sure to dial that back a bit, but it came out pretty darn awesome.

This is roughly how they came out, the light's kinda washed out, but you get the idea.

P4280021.jpg

• Options
    So the flavor was too overpowering with whisky or did it just cause issues with the cooking process?

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    My brother-in-law ended up trading a Snap-On toolbox that he "outgrew" with one of his co-workers for one of these:
    od5o1ux.jpg

McmC0oC.jpg

Which needs to spend some quality time with a pneumatic wire brush and a new coat of high temperature paint. The barrel looks to be 1/8" thick, and I'm pretty sure the fire box was an ammunition container in a previous life. The cooking grates are 48".

After playing with it on Saturday morning it became obvious that charcoal wasn't going to to be a practical option for heat, but thankfully I had a fair bit of blackjack oak on hand. I spent a few hours playing with the dampers and wood load to see what it took to hold a stable temperature, and got to work. The end result:
    TPJWc9B.jpg

No sauce, because that is how I like it :)

Not bad for a first timer! Due to the lack of a thermometer for grate temperature (and those dial ones are unreliable) I'm not sure if it was overcooked or not since it split apart when I lifted it up, but it was on for just over three hours (my nephew woke up and wanted some of the burgers I grilled earlier...and he fell asleep before they were done earlier in the afternoon).

Some weekend when I have a lot of free time I'm really wanting to borrow it and smoke some pork butt. Or maybe cut the butt down into smaller pieces for less cooking time and more bark...which sounds like a win/win proposition.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    My brother-in-law ended up trading a Snap-On toolbox that he "outgrew" with one of his co-workers for one of these:
    od5o1ux.jpg

McmC0oC.jpg

Which needs to spend some quality time with a pneumatic wire brush and a new coat of high temperature paint. The barrel looks to be 1/8" thick, and I'm pretty sure the fire box was an ammunition container in a previous life. The cooking grates are 48".

After playing with it on Saturday morning it became obvious that charcoal wasn't going to to be a practical option for heat, but thankfully I had a fair bit of blackjack oak on hand. I spent a few hours playing with the dampers and wood load to see what it took to hold a stable temperature, and got to work. The end result:
    TPJWc9B.jpg

No sauce, because that is how I like it :)

Not bad for a first timer! Due to the lack of a thermometer for grate temperature (and those dial ones are unreliable) I'm not sure if it was overcooked or not since it split apart when I lifted it up, but it was on for just over three hours (my nephew woke up and wanted some of the burgers I grilled earlier...and he fell asleep before they were done earlier in the afternoon).

Some weekend when I have a lot of free time I'm really wanting to borrow it and smoke some pork butt. Or maybe cut the butt down into smaller pieces for less cooking time and more bark...which sounds like a win/win proposition.

Ooooh gorgeous!!!! What temp was the smoking chamber getting up to?

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    Ooooh gorgeous!!!! What temp was the smoking chamber getting up to?
    I don't have a proper probe for measuring grate temp, but I was running it at 250 since the thermometer was reading high before the smoker was even warmed up. Dial thermometers aren't to be trusted, but until I buy something like a ThermaQ or TW8060 with suitable probes that is what I have to work with :)

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    So the flavor was too overpowering with whisky or did it just cause issues with the cooking process?

Cooking process more like. I had to boil off a whole bunch of the alcohol because the glaze was too thin. It turned what should have been a 20 minute simmer on the stove into a nearly hour long boilfest to thicken and reduce the mixture.

• Options
    Big bbq with about 20 of my relatives. Tommorrow will be a busy day of smoking and cooking in general. Will be posting pics etc as things get going. Whats on the menu? Brisket and Ribs, likely smoke turkey breasts as well. Baking breads, making Naan and all sorts of salads.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    Awesome, I expect lots of pictures.

Don't use canned meat. Thanks.

• Options
    Testing link for photos 11147840_10155549137930277_1466496295950421635_n.jpg?oh=a07a30b959d5576368c83467857e4d80&oe=55F9DB53

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    Is that 3 smokers?

• Options
    edited May 2015
    Yes, yes it is, I call them the 3 sisters. The furthest right is my "Masterchef" 14" smoker which I got from Canadian Tire for 75 bucks. The middle is the Weber Smokey Mountain 18", and the last one is my Mastercraft electric smoker.
    I had all three going the other weekend for the BBQ.

This is 8 pounds of brisket, ended up cutting it in half so I could fit it into my Weber Smokey Mountain, ended up getting 3 chunks out of it...
    11295643_10155549138480277_3211542887828369229_n.jpg?oh=04fb963d152e99c6292cbb2bd51ceb61&oe=55F881F3

These next shots are the side ribs that I got, trimmed down the one bit into the nice bits in the first shot, the rest is all the rest of the bits. Used 3 different rubs for the meats.
    10981994_10155549138595277_4480288779850808603_n.jpg?oh=784a5ec8f452fc22aedacc2ec76f1742&oe=55F284C4

11113759_10155549138720277_402239288637300900_n.jpg?oh=84e4b4bf3c23e90da67bc2289d157f87&oe=55F5E765

11143316_10155549138800277_1366183050751054419_n.jpg?oh=b7f0b6a42ccb4f2b542869ba9ed2c46d&oe=55FEEEE6

This is the littlest bit of brisket, pretty much burnt ends. Tasty and we ate that before everyone else came by.
    11350438_10155550074355277_2037267132644975478_n.jpg?oh=616f263489ea19d6cd9dcc8ac5ad010d&oe=55F875D4

Turkey Breast! I cant say how awesome turkey breast comes out in a smoker. I just use black pepper on them and throw them in the electric.
    11215144_10155550074595277_8622561934804589919_n.jpg?oh=c5c490ecddbd0dda92da8cb3cdf76286&oe=560B2F67

This is the rest of the brisket, sliced up into beautiful chunks.
    11329985_10155550074795277_7435366075558911042_n.jpg?oh=937115b1b812647bd42d5232a1555377&oe=55BEDFC2
    This was taken a little later in the party, maybe 5 minutes after I set down the bowl of ribs.. it was overflowing with ribby goodness and well.. they didnt last long.
    954686_10155550074980277_285385471041743990_n.jpg?oh=1f04f0bad9dd2c7f16dddd02003f391b&oe=55BF114A

Sliced up turkey.. really good, moist and tasty. You can see the rib bowl in the back of this shot.. that is maybe 2 minutes after the previous picture.
    21679_10155550075090277_7672605555983996620_n.jpg?oh=b422924c7948905bdddbdd1e103d77a9&oe=56030DBB

The spread of food. The weather was amazing and I think I had scraps left over when it was all said and done.
    11264030_10155550075235277_1382642171743819243_n.jpg?oh=83142fffb231682ec26f98b16a20fd05&oe=55F1057D

Didnt have any pictures of the Naan setup I had going on my propane BBQ, got a weber branded griddle that I was doing the bread on. Here is the recipe I was following, except I finely chop up garlic and put it into the dough and I skip the fennel . http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/aarti-sequeira/naan-indian-oven-baked-flat-bread-recipe.html

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    Why wasn't I invited?

• Options
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I'm hungry now.

• Options
    I always bitch that I need to put more meat on the smoker once what I had on is completed.. so I will. The canned meat thread got me thinking that some smoked SPAM would be pretty tasty. So SPAM will be happening.. and who knows what else. Maybe Turkey.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    So my wife bought me a propane smoker for Father's Day. She also got me some different t flavours of these: http://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B001IZYPOI/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1434810188&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=charcoal+companion+wood&dpPl=1&dpID=513XzokXxML&ref=plSrch

The package implies these are for use in a BBQ, not a smoker. Can they still be used to smoke in a propane smoker?

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    Shouldn't be an issue, chunks should work fine in a propane smoker (depending on your smoker model) though chips might work better for smoke, the larger chunks might take a bit to get going (though they should last longer than chips)

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Shouldn't be an issue, chunks should work fine in a propane smoker (depending on your smoker model) though chips might work better for smoke, the larger chunks might take a bit to get going (though they should last longer than chips)

Sounds good. I keep reading about covering the meat in tin foil after a couple of hours, because too much smoke tastes bad. Is that a thing? Should I just have the dampers open more at that point to let the smoke out?

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment