As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[STEAM] More like the Punic Wars than you might think.

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Dirtyboy wrote: »
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Houn wrote: »
    Wow.

I was just watching a Witcher 3 stream, and like, holy crap does that game look amazing.

I noticed that. I thought Witcher 2 looked wonderful, but 3 somehow looks even better.
    I dunno. I was gifted a humble game a couple days ago and it was a direct link-to-Steam-account, whereas another one I was gifted was a key.

So I'm not sure it's 100% Steam keys.

If that was Total War that I'd sent you, it was from before they switched to keys only.

Somehow? Witcher 2 was released 4 years ago this week. I'd have been pretty upset if Witcher 3 didn't look better.
    I spend way too much time just enjoying the scenery.
    ?.png

On the plus side, I figured out that if I tried to run witcher 3 it would look just like that. Minus the trees and buildings and grass and in 1024x762. But I would get 25 fps!
    I am only getting about 30 fps with everything max with only bloom, blur, DoF, and the Nvidia hair crap disabled. But on the plus side, it is relatively smooth and doesn't impact my gameplay at all so I am leaving it that way.

Specs: i5 2500k, 8 gigs ram, GTX 770 2 gig, game installed on SSD, 1920x1080

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    And then Chasm hits me with some Foul Play which is super awesome as an 80s arcade fan the beat 'em up genre is one of my all time favorites. Thanks!

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    I find myself irrationally angry and hateful toward the world (and myself) for reasons.

I need to play something to match my mood. Any suggestions? What fits bleak and miserable? Preferably action-y hateful and not text-y hateful (i.e. no Tale of Tales shit). I have a fuckload of games, so there must be something in this pile that fits...

Wolfenstein: The New Order

Kill yo'self some Nazis in a dystopian '60s "future"

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Well, SteamGifts has been down for most of the day so i'm not going to bother relying on it for this, i'll just handle it all manually.

I picked out a few games that I really enjoyed from the Humble Store sale so other people can give them a try. Just send me a PM here saying which ones you'd like to sign up for and i'll make a list and in a couple of days (but before the sale ends so the people who don't win can still get them themselves if they want) i'll do some RNG work and send them out to the winners. I'll reroll any duplicate wins, but feel free to sign up for any or all of them.

Risk of Rain
    Mercenary Kings
    Gunpoint
    The Swapper

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    I find myself irrationally angry and hateful toward the world (and myself) for reasons.

I need to play something to match my mood. Any suggestions? What fits bleak and miserable? Preferably action-y hateful and not text-y hateful (i.e. no Tale of Tales shit). I have a fuckload of games, so there must be something in this pile that fits...

Wolfenstein: The New Order

Kill yo'self some Nazis in a dystopian '60s "future"

Once it comes out, Hatred

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    mts wrote: »
    If all else fails, just gift @cardboard delusions

Why? Why goddamnit?!

• Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    If all else fails, just gift cardboard delusions

Why? Why goddamnit?!

It's your birthday today, isn't it?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    TeeMan wrote: »

Why? Why goddamnit?!

Not even close.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    I'm in the mood for a good classic style turn based RPG. I was looking at the FFX remaster for PS4 but read some disturbing RNG and music bugs (and $50 for a remaster, yeesh. no thanks). Besides FFVII and FFVIII, does anyone have any recommendations on Steam? @akajaybay gifted me FFXIII-2 awhiles back from the Steam Space War going on in the table top thread, but I don't have nor played FFXIII. Is it worth to skip FFXIII?

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    I'm in the mood for a good classic style turn based RPG. I was looking at the FFX remaster for PS4 but read some disturbing RNG and music bugs (and $50 for a remaster, yeesh. no thanks). Besides FFVII and FFVIII, does anyone have any recommendations on Steam? @akajaybay gifted me FFXIII-2 awhiles back from the Steam Space War going on in the Table Top thread, but I don't have nor played FFXIII. Is it worth to skip FFXIII?

Rain Slick 3 and 4?

• Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Steamgifts came back up and declared Destroyah87 as the winner of my Habitat giveaway. Enjoy!

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    I'm in the mood for a good classic style turn based RPG. I was looking at the FFX remaster for PS4 but read some disturbing RNG and music bugs (and $50 for a remaster, yeesh. no thanks). Besides FFVII and FFVIII, does anyone have any recommendations on Steam? @akajaybay gifted me FFXIII-2 awhiles back from the Steam Space War going on in the table top thread, but I don't have nor played FFXIII. Is it worth to skip FFXIII?

Trails in the Sky is probably the best traditional JRPG on Steam, which is what I assume you mean by classic turn based style, otherwise I'd recommend Divinity OS.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    1r97e2jqnblv.jpg

Thanks to @Firebird for a puzzle game which looks li--oh god it's a puzzle game based on patterns and colors and calls itself "relaxing and easy to pick up" and I'm going to lose a million hours playing this ain't I?

Thank you! <3<3<3

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    FirebirdFirebird Harbinger....of.....~something. Registered User regular
    edited May 2015

Played FFX on the Vita, it holds up well. But...
    I remember the old PS2 version being a lot better localized with little bit improvements in the US version, this is the PAL/JAP one they remastered, I think, so I assume it's a similar case with the PS4.

But you also get FF X-2, which is a slight bonus. The story is nonsense in comparison, but I find the dressphere system enjoyable despite its other glaring flaws.
    Why not buy the Kingdom Hearts 2 HD remaster, instead? Since that one has Birth By Sleep? It's awesome!

Firebird on
    steam_sig.png

STEAM ID: Firebird
    XBOX Live: FirebirdLR
    Playstation: FirebirdXR
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Firebird wrote: »

I remember the old PS2 version being a lot better localized with little bit improvements in the US version, this is the PAL/JAP one they remastered, I think, so I assume it's a similar case with the PS4.

But you also get FF X-2, which is a slight bonus. The story is nonsense in comparison, but I find the dressphere system enjoyable despite its other glaring flaws.
    Why not buy the Kingdom Hearts HD remaster, instead? Since that one has Birth By Sleep? It's awesome!

No PS3 :bigfrown:. I played BBS when I had a PSP though.

...Acronyms.

And yeah, I meant JRPG. Sorry, forgot that was the term for them haha. I miss when games like Chrono Trigger and Breath of Fire 3 were plentiful and awesome.

Edit - Trails in the Sky looks exactly like what I'm looking for.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Thank you to Chasm for sending me codes for FTL and System Shock 2! I actually already had both, but it's the thought that counts! :P

cB557 on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Wow.

I was just watching a Witcher 3 stream, and like, holy crap does that game look amazing.

I noticed that. I thought Witcher 2 looked wonderful, but 3 somehow looks even better.
    I dunno. I was gifted a humble game a couple days ago and it was a direct link-to-Steam-account, whereas another one I was gifted was a key.

So I'm not sure it's 100% Steam keys.

If that was Total War that I'd sent you, it was from before they switched to keys only.

Somehow? Witcher 2 was released 4 years ago this week. I'd have been pretty upset if Witcher 3 didn't look better.
    I spend way too much time just enjoying the scenery.
    ?.png

On the plus side, I figured out that if I tried to run witcher 3 it would look just like that. Minus the trees and buildings and grass and in 1024x762. But I would get 25 fps!
    I am only getting about 30 fps with everything max with only bloom, blur, DoF, and the Nvidia hair crap disabled. But on the plus side, it is relatively smooth and doesn't impact my gameplay at all so I am leaving it that way.

Specs: i5 2500k, 8 gigs ram, GTX 770 2 gig, game installed on SSD, 1920x1080

I-7 2600, 16 gigs, Radeon HD 6670 1 gig

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    chasm wrote: »

There is a reason my avatar was this for so long:
    Ava_Raz_Rock_Red_64.jpg

Anyone who hasn't played Psychonauts yet needs to take this man up on his generous offer.

• Options
    HyphyKezzyHyphyKezzy The Best On MarsRegistered User regular
    So @chasm puts in the honest work. No ski mask and didn't even bother to file off the serial.

chasmgunpointnomask_zpsulcffs4w.jpg

He does double down on that internet alias though so I'ma blow that up and let nature take it's course. <3

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    @Firebird decided that I needed to hunt pellets after hunting Steam.

So I guess I now I have Pac-Man CE DX or whatever the acronyms are. I'm horrible at remembering to screenshot!

Thanks!

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    Firebird wrote: »

Why not buy the Kingdom Hearts HD remaster, instead? Since that one has Birth By Sleep? It's awesome!

No PS3 :bigfrown:. I played BBS when I had a PSP though.

...Acronyms.

And yeah, I meant JRPG. Sorry, forgot that was the term for them haha. I miss when games like Chrono Trigger and Breath of Fire 3 were plentiful and awesome.

Edit - Trails in the Sky looks exactly like what I'm looking for.
    I was just about to recommend Trails in the Sky. Fantastic game, well worth the $20 I spent on it at launch.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Corpekata wrote: »

Trails in the Sky is probably the best traditional JRPG on Steam, which is what I assume you mean by classic turn based style, otherwise I'd recommend Divinity OS.

Seconding Divinity OS, @KoopahTroopah. It is a perfect "classic style turn-based RPG."

EDIT: Oh, and WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Finally finished my first Xenonauts campaign at a trim 96 hours! Great game. I need to find a way to send it back to teenage iolo who had infinite time, though. :)

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Iolo wrote: »
    Corpekata wrote: »

Seconding Divinity OS, @KoopahTroopah. It is a perfect "classic style turn-based RPG."

EDIT: Oh, and WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Finally finished my first Xenonauts campaign at a trim 96 hours! Great game. I need to find a way to send it back to teenage iolo who had infinite time, though. :)

Mental time commitment, congrats Iolo! What was the final mission like?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular

Why? Why goddamnit?!

Not even close.

Close enough

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    an_alt wrote: »
    The closest I've seen for "detective" is sort of the first part of Burial at Sea, before the shooting really starts. And even after that, there are still some touches.

But I'd love something more "trenchcoats, dames and shootouts with pissed gangsters in the alley" kind of gameplay combined with "bribe the cops, survey the crime scene, talk to the witnesses, get yourself in trouble" type stuff as well.

Ooohhhh, and the detective has to be a drunk low life almost out of money to keep the shop open. The game has to start with a femme fatale walking in the door and offering too much money to solve a case that seems too easy...

God dammit, yes. You know, I'd even be fine with smaller cases cropping up as you went along? The little day to day stuff? But yeah, I want that game. Have a piece, chat with the mooks with names like Eddie "Brick" Johnson. Some good fistfighting QTEs, some solid third person shooter mechanics for taking on the goons in a warehouse shoot-out, and of course environment interaction to get creative when you're running low on ammo (shoot for the lights, the pipes, etc). Mix in some stealth sections of sneaking into places for info (with different rankings or gifts or whatever depending on how many people you avoid knocking out).

Why do you make me hunger for games that don't exist?

Edit: What I really wouldn't mind is the addition of a little supernatural or future tech into the mix. Something Lovecraftian, or something like Colt Coltrane. Then I could get my noir and bad 50s sci-fi/horror fix in the same game . . .

Kalnaur on
    I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Colt Coltrane is a good platform to build a game like that from, because you have a bigass robot sidekick that will always beat you in poker

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular

Oh, you want a PS2.

Unfortunately, that's not entirely a sarcastic suggestion. I love deep, turn based JRPGs, but the genre mostly moved to handhelds after the PS2/oXbox generation. The Zeyboyd games (RSPD 3+4, Breath of Death VII, Cthulhu Saves the World) kinda scratch the itch, but they feel more like methadone than the pure heroin hit of JRPG that many of us crave.

I really, really tried to get into FFXIII and even gave it 30 hours, but it became the one game in my 'Meh' category. Maybe the closest I've come to a PS2 era JRPG on Steam was the South Park game. Other than that, the Shadowrun games give off a similar vibe even if the build system feel like a research project. Wasteland 2, though not a JRPG at all, has some of the exploration and turn based battles. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2 have some of the spirit of JRPGs and are turn based battle systems if you pay attention and use the pause button to queue commands.

If this all sounds like a bullshit response, that's because it is. I wish I could give you a list of twenty awesome turn based JRPGs on Steam, but the best I can do is try to find a few that have the right feel.

As for Final Fantasy, I really don't agree with the 9s and 10s that FFX pulled for reviews. That being said, it was a pretty good game. FFXIII had a lot of good ideas, but was one of the least fun gaming experiences I've pushed myself through.

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Okay so I know I am on the winning ship of Steam Battle 2015, but as just part of the crew so involvement at best is a little light RPing and at worst I get mad at numbers.
    My Steam Battle career wasn't all that illustrious: standing around while my compatriots do the work for me, incapacitated by an assassin droid to the thigh, field promoted to Security Officer for two rounds and finally death by massive radiation.
    I already received my participation game of LYNE and it's great fun.

So when a PM shows up from @akajaybay I don't think too much of it. I'm just finishing up sorting through the accursed Round 10--well, at least to the Wishlist crew--so I decide to check it out.
    Steam wallet code? I haven't gotten one of those before. Probably something small to match my contribution of filling out a character sheet.

ZgjHyeI.jpg

Wrong. Dead wrong. Holy cow. I'm...I'm sure I can put this to good use, lots of gifting to be done and all that but it feels a bit...much?

Regardless, thanks again @akajaybay! Try to make the next Steam Battle when/if it happens easier on yourself and your wallet. You already give out 60+ games and then toss me a $50 wallet code (and who knows how much more for the rest of the 12 person crew) points out a ridiculous level of class and no need to prove it.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    BigDes wrote: »
    Jazz wrote: »
    HOLY SHIT.

Games Workshop's Dark Future being adapted for PC

Dark Future was GW's near-future, cyberpunk road warrior universe (and tabletop game), originally from 1988. It was also absolutely goddamn amazing; the game was really, really good, but the fiction and lore was, for me, probably the best thing they ever did, above even Warhammer fantasy or 40K. It was pretty much my introduction to cyberpunk, and honestly still remains my main point of reference. Man, that whole fiction. So great. NoGo, the PeeZees (policed zones), the Sanctioned Ops taking on the outlaws on the roads, even Oliver North as President of the United States.

It makes sense that this seems to be riding the coattails of Mad Max: Fury Road a little bit. Dark Future always owed a lot to Mad Max, as does anything with a road warrior motif, but it was anything but a direct rip.

This trailer looks like they're sticking with what is now a retro-futuristic style, which is absolutely perfect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG5DegPZwCY

STOKED! Time to re-read the Dark Future novels again. <3

EDIT:

PixieSquee.png

(Cheers, Pixie! <3 )

I picture how this went down at GW when this game was first developed:
    Bob is reading the news on his table
    Bill is painting his 5' tall titan.

Bob:Huh, they're remaking Mad Max....Fury Road....looks pretty good.
    Bill: Really, that's nice, its a good series.
    Bob: Yeah, lots of good tech behind it, good director, I think its the original. Tom Hardy, Charlize Theron. Even the original Toecutter.
    Bill: Damn fine casting.
    Bob:Damn fine casting.
    Bill:Probably going to be a merch and trans media frenzy, games, comic, toys.
    Bob: Yep, heard there's an mmo coming out too. Hope it does better than NCSoft's.
    Bill: Yeah, that was a neat game for a while (focuses on the cockpit with a smaller brush). Fiction was decent enough on that.
    Bob: True, I'm sure we could do better.
    Bill: Well, we did.
    Bob:What?
    Bill: Yeah, that was before your time, the company had all these books and games and media for a similar setting set in the Continental US. Sort of the Games Workshop attempt to cash in.
    Bob: So you're saying we already have an IP setting in our books, with fiction and artwork that could be tapped for a game, to match the setting and fever of what will probably be the greatest movie of the decade?
    Bill:Yeah........*processes the thought*......Light the beacon.

This was an excellent post but needed far more references to cocaine and embezzlement to truly be a believable account of GW management

I mulled this over today and pictured an HBO series with a great deal of sex, drugs, and painted miniatures.

Not impossible.

@akajaybay gave me something, that I cannot put into words, but sufficed to say, I don't know what to do with it......although stockpiling kids games and going nuts when summer comes for my parent friends on facebook.......yeah.

The remainder of this thread will be a totem to his glory.

edit: To the pink menace.
    Download Dishonored and open up the Dunwall Trials DLC. The back alley brawls has you running around like a murder happy energizer bunny. The final level is endless.

To an_alt:
    I have Persona 4, Rogue Galaxy, Star Ocean 2, and I've played 0%, 5%, and 69% respectively.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular

There is a reason my avatar was this for so long:
    Ava_Raz_Rock_Red_64.jpg

Anyone who hasn't played Psychonauts yet needs to take this man up on his generous offer.

I was having a fine time up until one of those aforementioned last levels with a platforming bit with a vertical twisted fence I could just not make it up. After the 25th failure that was the end of the game. So prepare yourself for fences, but otherwise good game!

• Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    To an_alt:
    I have Persona 4, Rogue Galaxy, Star Ocean 2, and I've played 0%, 5%, and 69% respectively.

Well fucking play Persona 4. What's the matter with you?

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    ShinyoShinyo Registered User regular
    1NcVxNE.png

Steam - More like The Odyssey than you might think.

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    @akajaybay clearly identified my need to slaughter mindless mooks in a terrible manner, and lobbed over a copy of Shadow Warrior as part of his Steam Battle related spree. Thanks, you wonderful lunatic. Now I have somewhere to take out the aggression left when my life pod was vaporised...

• Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    NOT STEAM RELATED, but Contraption Maker devs are giving away keys of the non Steam version (Windows and OSX) this weekend: http://contraptionmaker.com/contraption-maker-free-weekend

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I am having a beyond weird issue with Gone Home.

AAF2F82017692328E076BFE894272193E2D6754C

I can't choose any of the options, only cycle between them. Accursed laptop.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Obvious question - does hitting enter or space work?

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Obvious question - does hitting enter or space work?

Nope. I've literally tried every button on the keyboard. Maybe I'll have better luck on the desktop. My luck with the catalog tends to be 50/50.

My best guess is that the laptop just can't run it.

Funny that I can't even select exit though...

Let's see if Goat Simulator is any luckier!

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    @Shade is up to his old tricks again. Sends me a gift while I'm asleep.
    dwdl2yh00ubn.jpg

First thing I see when I get on my computer is a gift popup from @Casm, I won his steamgifts giveaway of Habitat! Thanks!
    nskwl3fk94mb.jpg
    I've marked this received on the SteamGifts website.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular

Grabbed the code, thanks!

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

This discussion has been closed.