As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Batman and the Outsiders gets new creative team...before first issue launches.

BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
edited October 2007 in Graphic Violence
Tony Bedard and artist Kai somethingorother have dropped off of the as of yet unreleased title.

Chuck Dixon and Julian Lopez will be taking over, changing the series' roster, storyline, but not general direction.

OUTSIDERS-cover.jpg
Newsarama wrote:
Newsarama: Well, first of all Chuck, sudden creative changes are nothing new in this biz, but it’s somewhat unusual to see a full creative team change before the first issue even ships. So as much as you can divulge, can you tell us about the circumstances of you taking over this title?

Chuck Dixon: Well, anyone in any kind of creative endeavor can tell you that, no matter how hard you work at something, it all somehow gets away from you. It’s happened to me enough times.

That seems to be the case here.

No one in this business has greater respect for Tony [Bedard] than I do. The guy is dedicated, conscientious and has never written anything less than world-class comics entertainment. But whatever it was that the folks at DC wanted from this book, it just wasn’t coming together. I take this on faith as I wasn’t shown any of their material.

That said, I’ll be running with what they set up in the one-shots in a whole different direction simply because I have no idea what their direction was to be. The character line-up and the dynamic of the book will be what Tony set up in Outsiders #50. By editorial fiat and the demands of continuity the line-up will change with issue #3 and #4. Some jaw-dropping additions to the team will occur then. I’m also playing with one of the team members I’ve inherited in a way that has never been done in an ensemble book like this.

NRAMA: Not meant in a greater or lesser than way, but clearly a change of writers will have to have some affect. How would you say your take on this title will be different than what Bedard’s take was shaping up to be?

CD: Just from the inferences at the initial meetings it seems like my take will be more direct action as opposed to Tony’s more intrigue-laden plotlines. Tony does that whole intrigue thing so much better than I do. Of course, I’m only going off of the very vaguest notions of what the book was to be like with Tony on board.

It’s very weird because this was a book I was looking forward to reading.

NRAMA: Conversely, what do you think will remain mostly the same.

CD: Nothing, really. It’s a whole different gameplan.

NRAMA: Given that there have been changes, can you briefly give us Batman and the Outsiders 101? What do readers need to get going into next month’s issue #1?

CD: Well, Batman is forever frustrated by the way the JLA and its subsidiaries operate. He originally formed the Outsiders to be a more pro-active, preventative force for battling global baddies. He returns to the group for the same reason. He finds mostly flawed or secondary or unwanted heroes (and anti-heroes and outright villains) and casts them into a kind of Impossible Mission force to bring down evildoers while their plans are still in the making. The original series’ premise is even more relevant today with real-life supervillains threatening civilization every day.

NRAMA: What do you want readers to know as they weigh whether or not to give this title a try?

CD: It’s action. It’s team dynamics. We have a twist on an established villain that takes up much of the first few issues. We have some amazing guest stars and new team members coming up very quickly. You get to see a writer who majored in agriculture in high school struggle to learn the periodic table so he can write Metamorpho convincingly. The artwork is stunning. Batman’s in it. And we have a few DCU continuity shake-ups coming that should have the fanboys buzzing around the cash register on Wednesday.

NRAMA: Assuming the team on the cover to #1 will remain the team, can you maybe walk us through the team members and give us some brief thoughts on each?

CD: And how ‘bout that cover?

Martian Manhunter. Who’s cooler? Maybe Batman. I have a lot of fun with J’onn in the opening issue.

Metamorpho. Hotshot test pilot turned elemental freak. And he’s funny.

Catwoman. She’s sexy, smart and untrustworthy.

Grace. A powerful Amazonian who’s not so sure abut this whole Batman-as-leader thing but is willing to give it a try.

Thunder. Inexperienced superheroine and daughter of Black Lightning. She’ll provide some real sparks (no pun intended) in the opening arc.

Katana. Super-cool samurai. I have always adored this character and work to up her coolness factor to 11.

And Batman.

BATO1_P01.jpg
BATO1_P02_03.jpg
BATO1_P07.jpg

For comparison here's the original roster and the original artist's work:
BMOUT-Cv1_solicit.jpg

SIG.gif
Blankspace on

• Options
    IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Wow, I am about 100 times more excited for this than I was before. It goes without saying that I'm still glad I decided to add this to my pull list already. I'm getting onboard Robin during the Ra's crossover in anticipation of Dixon's run at it, too.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'll try out pretty much anything with Dixon's name on it, and I love the cast, so I'll definitely be picking this up now.

Munch on
  • Options
    Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Bad Karma wrote: »
    Well that flippin' sucks. Bedard was assembling what could have been a great a book, after a very lackluster series by Winick. I know Bedard is doing like, whole month of Countdown himself. The only thing I can think of is that he'll be needed somewhere else, and what he wanted to do with some of the characters was conflicting with the grand scheme of things..(a la Catwoman)

I'll look on the bright side though.

We've got Dixon and Lopez on board now, which is fantastic. Not completely wowed by his new roster though. I'm glad they're are doing something with Cass, but I would have liked to see J'onn stay in. And Ollie? I would have prefered to keep him in Star City fightin' for the little guy than pulling double duty in this book and his own.

Though maybe we'll end up seeing J'onn and Arthur back on the Justice League someday.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited October 2007
    i can't fucking wait

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited October 2007
    I don't really like that Geo-Force is in there. I'd prefer J'onn instead.

I think what most excites me is it's the first time Batman will fucking acknowledge Cassie's issues since OYL

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I am kind of curious when it was established that Metamorpho was a test pilot. I mean, he was always an adventurer, but it always seemed like he was more of a tomb-raiding, Indiana Jones kind of guy. Dixon's usually pretty knowledgeable when it comes to continuity and stuff, so I'm kind of wondering if it's just a rare flub or if it was actually established in his history at some point and I missed it.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    It's a 'flub'

Dixon should pick up Metamorpho Year 1

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Good to see they're trying to redeem Batgirl. Hopefully we can just forget all about DiDio's hate on for her during OYL.

KVW on
  • Options
    Darth NatDarth Nat Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    With this change of lineup, it reminds me even more of the Justice League Elite. Which isn't really a bad thing.

Darth Nat on
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Good, Dixon has proven himself time and time again

Algertman on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I don't care about anyone on this team but Ollie since they screwed with Metamorpho OYL.

But man, I love Ollie so hard, especially when he is hanging out with Batman so I'm gonna have to read this.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    this is step 2 in dixon taking over every bat book again

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    This is a good thing, indeed.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Shit.

I wanted Aquaman on the team.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    This looks resplendent.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Wow, that's pretty weird. The inclusion of Batgirl instantly makes me pretty happy, even though I think Geo-Force is a pretty shitty character. I would like to know how they're going to repair Batgirl though, I can't imagine that Batman would be happy about her killing (even if she were being controlled by Deathstroke). At least Beechen is far, far away from her.

As for the excluded characters, the lack of Martian Manhunter sucks but I hope the exclusion of Aquaman means we'll be getting Orin back. Oh and the lack of Catwoman sucks too, mostly because I like her character but can't stand her actual series.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Well Katana's killed people and knows not to do it on Batman's watch, so

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    While I'm disappointed with the loss of Aquaman and J'onn I really love Ollie and am one of the few people who likes Geo-Force, so I can cope.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    Darth NatDarth Nat Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I would like to know how they're going to repair Batgirl though, I can't imagine that Batman would be happy about her killing (even if she were being controlled by Deathstroke). At least Beechen is far, far away from her.

As has been mentioned before, I think it'll just be nice that her inclusion in the series will pretty much force Batman to actually acknowledge her situation for a change. I imagine that Batman won't be happy, but I can see Cassandra being even less so, considering that Batman did pretty much nothing to figure out what was going on with her, leading to her killing several more people than would have died if the Bat clan hadn't just gone "lol well she's crazy now, nothing we can do".

I just hope Dixon doesn't skim over it and have things perfectly fine and dandy between Batman and Batgirl by the second issue.

I gotta admit, I'm sorta bummed out that J'onn is being replaced by Geo-Force, since my love for the former far outweighs anything I feel toward the latter. I guess he's being included because of his connection to the original Outsiders, though.

Darth Nat on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I hope the exclusion of Aquaman means we'll be getting Orin back.

Orin is currently...not of the mortal coil. Arthur is the one and only Aquaman for the inevitable future.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    except for when he was in JLA #13 and both the art and story pointed to the old Aquaman but then Dan Didio said "no it's the new one"

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Darth Nat wrote: »
    I gotta admit, I'm sorta bummed out that J'onn is being replaced by Geo-Force, since my love for the former far outweighs anything I feel toward the latter. I guess he's being included because of his connection to the original Outsiders, though.

Geo-Force might not be in it for long

what with him being a traitor and all

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Keith wrote: »
    except for when he was in JLA #13 and both the art and story pointed to the old Aquaman but then Dan Didio said "no it's the new one"

Where was Aquaman in issue 13?

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

whoops

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

whoops

Yeah, I remember that. It was clearly Arthur. But I can see the confusion with the text. Someone...let's call him Brad, fudged up, because Orin is currently in a glass box. Under da sea. So either he never got the memo, or he spoiled the result of issue #57

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    they are both arthur

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    they are both arthur

But only one Orin. :wink:

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    And speaking of The Outsiders...Comics101's feature for the next two or three weeks..The Outsiders!

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

whoops

Yeah, I remember that. It was clearly Arthur. But I can see the confusion with the text. Someone...let's call him Brad, fudged up, because Orin is currently in a glass box. Under da sea. So either he never got the memo, or he spoiled the result of issue #57

meltzer isn't really one for continuity

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

whoops

meltzer isn't really one for continuity

Bu...but...he's a New York Times Best Seller!

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

how the fuck did geo-force get on the league

it was "hey let's pick the people who fought amazo" and then all of a sudden geo-force is there

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    He knew a guy.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    i'm still bitter about cyborg getting the shaft

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    i'm still bitter about cyborg getting the shaft
    Hey, it was Roy's turn. He's been dealing with shafts for quite a while.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Hopefully Titans East won't suck.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Wow. I'm really curious how this came about. What happened behind the scenes? Is Tony Bedard angry? It reminds me of when Stephen Wacker left for Marvel.

That said, the new art is really good, but the new line-up isn't. I agree with everyone about Geo Force, and Green Arrow is a little too notable for what I was looking for. Ollie is great & all, but more obscure heroes deserve a spot on a team like this.

Lux on
  • Options
    RansRans Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    it would have been more interesting for Connor to be there. I think I liked Bedard's team better, but who am I kidding? I'm not buying this book either way.

Rans on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    i care about the creative team more than the character team

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Rans wrote: »
    it would have been more interesting for Connor to be there.

I'm actually surprised he's not on the roster. It'd make sense, since Dixon created the character, and once Ollie returns to his title he'll be shunted off into the background somewhere. Though given the recent solicitations for Green Arrow/Black Canary, Connor probably won't be around much longer anyways.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Dixon didn't create Connor Hawke

Garlic Bread on