As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MTG] Origins Spoilers! Elf Tribal! Goblin Piledriver! Demonic "Vorthos All Star" Pact!

APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
edited June 2015 in Social Entropy++
Ah that new thread smell! Not as good as new pack smell, but we'll take it.

Modern Masters 2015 is here! Now, I know you are all excited to open your Foil Ant Queens, but before you rip... tear... how the heck do the new packs work anyway? Anyway, before you open that booster, look around. Are you drafting right now? Is it at least Sealed? If not, I want you to ask yourself: WWMHSD - What Would Marsh Hulk Sutcliffe Do?

If Modern Masters - with its Goyfs, Bobs, Eldrazi and lack of Serum Visions - wasn't exciting enough, next weekend is Grand Prix Vegas. It will be the largest GP in history. It's so large, that is actually TWO GPs, with two prize pools, two top 8s, two coverage teams. Sadly we don't get two LSVs. Even better, a number of our forumers will be participating. What I'd like to do is invite those who will be battling to post or pm me their Twitter handle (or other tracking method). Come GP Weekend, I'll put a list in the OP, so we can track your progress and root you on!

Next up on the release queu is Magic Origins: Now With Even More Jace. After that will be Battle for Zendikar aka Wait, How is Rotation Working Again? aka the Return of Hedron Crab.

OP to be expanded soon with Metagame stuff and pretty pictures and links.

APODionysus on

• astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    I drafted a pretty garbage domain deck and went 3-0 off the back of Spellskite, Savage Twister, and Overwhelming Stampede. Stampede was always a bomb, but 2 Nest Invaders and 3 Kozilek's Predators meant that even my finals opponent who immediately killed two attackers and tapped another, still took 23 damage after blocks. The next game I only had a mortarpod and a skyreach at 5 and cast it for 15 damage. Won three packs and pulled just enough to break even (Spellskite, Wilt-Leaf, and foil Dismember). The insufferable douche I beat round 2 won a single pack that contained Foil and Regular Bitterblossom.

I've always played pack wars by shuffling the pack and drawing 1 card per turn (no starting hand). You can play any spell for free and x or activated abilities always equal 5. It leads to some hilarious card values as anything that targets lands or keys off of them is almost always dead and any mill card is better than most bomb rares.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    I had a dream last night that I opened packs of mm15 and I kept thinking I had gotten a foil tarmogoyf but on closer inspection it was cards like tarnogoyf, tarkogoyf, and turdogoyf

• Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    Whippy wrote: »
    I had a dream last night that I opened packs of mm15 and I kept thinking I had gotten a foil tarmogoyf but on closer inspection it was cards like tarnogoyf, tarkogoyf, and turdogoyf

That is some un-set shenanigans right there. Also... good to know I am not the only one who has dreams about Magic.

Many of the packs opened at our store also had damaged or smudged commons. This has been an issue since, Gatecrash, I want to say? I would be pretty pissed if I opened a money rare and the top had been scuffed.

Geth approves of quality control.

• DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    no id be pretty happy if some moneycard had a printing/packaging defect

to the right person this is $$$ depending on the error

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    89CIL2o.png

liEt3nH.png
  • The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    oh my goddddddddd

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Tasipurr, the golden fanged

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
    no id be pretty happy if some moneycard had a printing/packaging defect

to the right person this is $$$ depending on the error

I would agree if it were the wrong color, had a typo, or was offset. These cards just look smudged, slightly faded, and/or have damage on the top that is indistinguishable from any other tear. I notice it tends to hit certain boxes. If one shows up in a draft, then there are usually at least a few others in that box.

• KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    I hope goyf actually gets less expensive this time

I want to play zoo with collected company

• silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    So I'm going to GP: Vegas next Saturday, and I have a few concerns:

I had an awful experience at my last prerelease (Fate Reforged), where my opponent used his friend/the store owner/the judge to try to screw me over in extra turns. It ended up not mattering, but it soured me on Magic (Magic players, really) and I haven't played since then. Thus I am super rusty. Will a few practice drafts this week get me back into shape?

I quit MTGO after the client change. Has it improved at all? I was thinking about using it to practice.

The highest level play I've ever been in is either a PTQ or State championship, both ~12 years ago (Mirrodin era Standard). I'm to understand Grand Prix have higher rules enforcement standards? Anything to watch out for? Anything dramatically different from FNM level play?

I've never been to a high level event before. How does registering work? I reserved a spot months ago, but how does the "day of" logistics work? If I want to get to sleep early, get up early, and get breakfast, what kind of time frame should I look at in the morning?

I'm expecting the people at the Grand Prix to be out for free wins via minor rule infractions resulting from careless mistakes (missing returning things "at end of turn", drawing a card before upkeep effects, etc. ) and generally to be miserable, intolerable assholes out to ruin everyone's fun and experience. Likelihood of running into this sort of person? Am I paranoid? Or should I just be ultra careful and play super tight?

Be extra careful and keep your play tight, but I've yet to really run into anyone who is straight up out to prey on rusty players.

dont be afraid to call a judge in a new limited format like that one to make sure certain interactions work the way you think they do before you do them

7yh4xczljsym.png
    edited May 2015

I'm expecting the people at the Grand Prix to be out for free wins via minor rule infractions resulting from careless mistakes (missing returning things "at end of turn", drawing a card before upkeep effects, etc. ) and generally to be miserable, intolerable assholes out to ruin everyone's fun and experience. Likelihood of running into this sort of person? Am I paranoid? Or should I just be ultra careful and play super tight?

while people like this dont exist at any differing frequency from any other big event, this isnt like an fnm where you can like "oh i forgot this said it comes back at the end step"

people arent doing it to be a dick to you, and its on you should you do that. people are at a grand prix to win so keep that in mind

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    yeah, it's pretty rare that an opponent can "get" you with a game loss for sloppy play. And they can't be like "Oh you drew your card before you untapped, that means you don't get to untap this turn"; drawing during your draw step and untapping during untap step aren't optional.

Try to keep your play as tight as you can, obviously (it'll help you play better) - make sure you do upkeep stuff before you draw, if you have any - but 99% of the players there are trying to win by playing well, not by rules-lawyering slip-ups.

• silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    I think the big one is Narcolepsy. If your opponent draws his card, and then goes "oh you forgot to tap down my guy," when he didn't have any upkeep effects his or herself and skipped over it.

E: Also I remember reading something about "missed triggers," and how if you noticed something after it triggers, but before it would affect the game state. They used Exalted as the example. Like, you attack with one guy, and even if you don't explicitly say "exalted triggers, exalted resolves, my guy gets +1/+1" it still counts? This was quite a while ago, back when Pyreheart Wolf and surprise blocker Restoration Angel was causing issues.

E2: Can I place dice on top of my deck to make sure I don't draw a card before upkeep effects? Also, is using dice as tokens kosher, or should I bring different items for tokens and for counters?

silence1186 on
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I think the big one is Narcolepsy. If your opponent draws his card, and then goes "oh you forgot to tap down my guy," when he didn't have any upkeep effects his or herself and skipped over it.

E: Also I remember reading something about "missed triggers," and how if you noticed something after it triggers, but before it would affect the game state. They used Exalted as the example. Like, you attack with one guy, and even if you don't explicitly say "exalted triggers, exalted resolves, my guy gets +1/+1" it still counts? This was quite a while ago, back when Pyreheart Wolf and surprise blocker Restoration Angel was causing issues.

E2: Can I place dice on top of my deck to make sure I don't draw a card before upkeep effects? Also, is using dice as tokens kosher, or should I bring different items for tokens and for counters?

The bolded I am 99% sure yes as I've seen dice/pens/trinkets get used in the coverage, usually by people remembering scry effects and such

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    people do it all the time for thassa for example, its totally fine

and dice as tokens are fine, and you might even have tokens kicking around for the ones being used in this set

7yh4xczljsym.png

Bring tokens. And you can't use cards as tokens unless they're from a different card game!

i've been using Love Letter guards as 1/1 soldiers recently

liEt3nH.png
    This is making me realize I've been mtgo and off paper for so long, I no longer have my go-to tokens!

(I used to use cigarettes when I smoked, they tap easy)

Also, shuffle your opponent's deck; don't just cut it. It's rare, but people will "thread" their decks and just give one or two riffles and other shenanigans. It suck that you have watch out for rules lawyers and cheaters on either end of the spectrum, but just be careful. You can still be friendly and polite while making sure you aren't missing anything or being taken advantage of.

• Dogbone33Dogbone33 I bleed Red and Gold! State of ConfusionRegistered User regular
    Another MODO draft that is hot garbage. Not even any money cards. Stupid dargons.

Play Diablo 3 RoS with me. PSN-Dogbone19

Play Fanduel. One Day Fantasy Leagues use my referral

Be my friend on Magic Online! Dogbone19 is me.
    is anyone watching scg worcester? my internet is down

i've been catching a little, but i don't find legacy that interesting to watch

liEt3nH.png
    Kilroy wrote: »
    is anyone watching scg worcester? my internet is down

i almost showed up not realizing it was a legacy open

i'll be in tomorrow for the standard IQ and to sell everything from my mm2015 box that wasnt my pile of coronets to build auras

7yh4xczljsym.png
    i've been catching a little, but i don't find legacy that interesting to watch

I actually enjoy watching legacy more than modern

unless it's a miracles mirror

i think had i realized the main event wasnt standard i could have been motivated to finish leylines in time

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    GOYF GOYF GOT A GOYF

• SwillSwill Registered User regular
    I played mm tonight. Played 5 color Polakka wurm and got so much shit for it

Went 2-1 drop because Zzz

why would you get shit for playing 5-color polakka wurm

• SwillSwill Registered User regular
    Suboptimal I guess. I had one of each basic, a bunch of cycles and rampant growths, and 5 macata rioters

That sounds amazing and haters should :arrow:

• TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Goyf has bottomed out at 135, it was briefly at 130 but apparently that made people buy up some copies.

Edit: Also Bitterblossom being a mythic is shit.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator

Yeah, I mean domain is one of the explicitly supported archetypes. Sphere of the Suns, Rampant Growth, Rioters, Skyreach, Tribal Flames, Fiery Fall, and, to a lesser extent, Dragonsoul Knight and Sylvan Bounty are all common. Bounce lands exist and enable all sorts of shit. People get salty about it though, especially when they are on two colors and missing one.

astrobstrd wrote: »

Yeah, I mean domain is one of the explicitly supported archetypes. Sphere of the Suns, Rampant Growth, Rioters, Skyreach, Tribal Flames, Fiery Fall, and, to a lesser extent, Dragonsoul Knight and Sylvan Bounty are all common. Bounce lands exist and enable all sorts of shit. People get salty about it though, especially when they are on two colors and missing one.

People must hate me then, my pack 1 takes everyone's everything, I rarely settle into anything pack 1, pack 1 is just the take the best thing there is round.

• APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    astrobstrd wrote: »
    Many of the packs opened at our store also had damaged or smudged commons. This has been an issue since, Gatecrash, I want to say? I would be pretty pissed if I opened a money rare and the top had been scuffed.

Is it the new packs? I love the recycling idea, but having not seen them yet, I have some concerns about how they hold up to moisture. Like people tend to keep unopened boosters for a while sometimes (to let them appreciate in value, or to keep to draft down the line when you want to relive the format or chaos draft). I wonder if these packs won't hold up like that.

It was one box that got opened that night, but it has not been unique to MM15. I have a few M15 and RTR rares that came damaged (luckily nothing more than 1-2 dollars in value). The faded thing is super common though, especially it seems, when the set is new. The first KTK drafts at our store had 75% smudged or faded common runs.

• APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    So Kenji is 2-0 in the PTQ he's in. His deck is INSANE. Literally one of the most absurd DTK limited decks I've ever seen. Hopefully Worth is kind to his draws, because Numot on the PT would be sweeeeet

This discussion has been closed.