As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MTG] Origins Spoilers! Elf Tribal! Goblin Piledriver! Demonic "Vorthos All Star" Pact!

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    So Kenji is 2-0 in the PTQ he's in. His deck is INSANE. Literally one of the most absurd DTK limited decks I've ever seen. Hopefully Worth is kind to his draws, because Numot on the PT would be sweeeeet

GAME

• Options
    APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Here's some of the nut cards I've seen in his deck: bathe in Dragonfire, twin bolt, shaman of the great hunt, Heelcutter, sun scorch regent, citadel siege, sandblast, Sandsteppe outcast, corpseweft on the splash. Bunch of other solid cards.

Plus great mana. Two Wilds, two scoured barrens.

He's 3-0 right now. It's the nutter butters

Edit: forgot swift warkite, Silumgar assassin and channel harm

APODionysus on
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    scg standard IQ was miserable

but i was able to finish gw auras for modern

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Is this what love feels like?

Because it feels good.
    5u1ywiqfrdfy.jpg

• Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    Until I counted, I thought Iona was in your main. I'm ambitious, but that may well have beaten out anything I could have imagined.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Yeah she didn't make the cut. I'm greedy, but not that greedy.

• Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    On Goyfwatch it's up to 142 again already.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    On Goyfwatch it's up to 142 again already.

ugh

• Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod

BOGLES?!

• Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    when life gives you coronets, make hexproof lemonade

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Knob wrote: »

BOGLES?!

Peggy Hill would approve.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    As a fan of uw heroes, I approve of bogles

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    Red/white double strike is a blast and I played main deck daybreak with 2 goblin war paint (it worked well)

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Did a MM draft last night. Pack 1 Pick 1 Karn over Foil Splinter Twin, so I put together G/B Eldrazi sacrifice + ramp. Had an Ulamog's Crusher, Overwhelm, and Death Denied as additional finishers. Lack of card draw/removal meant I was too topdeck reliant and the cards weren't coming up for me. Not bad overall (I thought I would get crushed by fast aggro), but didn't do well by any means.

• Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    Doing my first limited event tonight: Dragons sealed. Wish me luck!

• Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    AAAAAAAAAAAHHHH I'M DRIVING TO VEGAS

• Options
    Whippy wrote: »

Swing by PA and pick me up, please

• Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    Okay sure let me just plug that into the gps and see how fahahaha

• Options
    Dogbone33Dogbone33 I bleed Red and Gold! State of ConfusionRegistered User regular
    Drafted MM tonight. Pulled a mox opal and an elesh norn. Settled into U/W artifact deck. Won match 1 with this hot mess.

Play Diablo 3 RoS with me. PSN-Dogbone19

Play Fanduel. One Day Fantasy Leagues use my referral

Be my friend on Magic Online! Dogbone19 is me.
  • Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular

Sadly went 0-2. At least with Sealed I get lots of cards.

A store here is having a sale... is a pre-release pack for $21 a decent deal? I kinda want to pick up a Dromoka or Ojutai pack just for the value.

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular

Sadly went 0-2. At least with Sealed I get lots of cards.

A store here is having a sale... is a pre-release pack for $21 a decent deal? I kinda want to pick up a Dromoka or Ojutai pack just for the value.

Well, it's 5 booster packs and a special pack. So basically $24 of packs for $21 seems pretty solid.

• Options
    Okay sure let me just plug that into the gps and see how fahahaha

See ya there!

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Friday night I built like...the worst b/w spirit deck I've ever seen, thanks in large part to low removal count and no Nameless Inversions to soulshift. Managed to get to 3-0 off the back of two Blinding Souleater and Tumble Magnet (remember how fun tappers are? I LOVE tappers) and dodging the other good players. Graft looks like it can get some serious aggro openings, especially with a better eye toward synergy than what I saw on Friday.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    I just read Caleb Durward's Rotisserie article on ChannelFireball. Would folks here be interested in doing one? I would prefer to run the games on xMage to avoid $$$, but I think we could even do a pauper cube rotisserie on MODO, if that would be what people want to do (you provide your own copies of the cards you draft). If we did it on xMage, I would be open to Legacy Cube, Modern, or even Standard.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    I'm torn on replacing Karn Liberated with Kozilek in my Augustin EDH

It feels weird to replace a Planeswalker with a creature, but Karn is pretty much just a distraction while I set up while Kozilek nets me immediate card advantage even if he doesn't live to swing

what do

• Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    Green wrote: »
    I'm torn on replacing Karn Liberated with Kozilek in my Augustin EDH

It feels weird to replace a Planeswalker with a creature, but Karn is pretty much just a distraction while I set up while Kozilek nets me immediate card advantage even if he doesn't live to swing

what do

Ah, yes, quite a conundrum. Unfortunately, I can offer only one solution:
    WHY NOT BOTH!?

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    By the way, was anyone's MM15 cards...I dunno, I guess glossier? Than usual?

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Ilpala wrote: »

Ive heard that was a thing. I wouldn't know since I don't see a lot of physical cards and certainly haven't touch MM15 ones.

In a draft right now. 1-1. Opening pack was HORRIBLE - literally P1P1 Dromoka's gift, because it was the best card in the pack as hard as that is to believe. I slid into WR for a couple picks, got passed a late Pristine Skywise and snapped it up along with a few blue cards - was primarily With, just trying to find SOMETHING that felt open. P2P1 was DL Ojutai and I was like "ok then." Deck is decent, if not amazing. Round 1 I got smashed by terrible, terrible draws. Round 2 felt pretty good. Either way, have my second Ojutai now. Im gonna hang onto my Mythics for now. Maybe get into Standard after rotation, or flip them then

APODionysus on
  • Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular

I'M PACKING FOR WHEN WHIPPY PICKS ME UP

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Ilpala wrote: »

I gather they're using different printers from what they print the regular sets with, and along with a bunch of packing errors and misprint this time around, those cards do tend to have a slightly glossier sheen on them. I've noticed it on cards from duel decks and clash packs as well. Also the alternate printers don't seem to have that same booster smell as the regular cards do; duel decks and clash packs smell terrible.

• Options
    NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    Things to know about a GP, from a judge:

- Pack dice, extra sleeves, a blue or black pen (not pencil!), and pad of paper. Definitely use the paper for life tracking, and track both players on your pad.
    - Bring some variety of card shaped objects to use as tokens so you can distinguish tapped/untapped/etc. They can't look like magic cards; basic lands are sometimes ok, if you use a giant sharpie to write over the basic with whatever the token actually is...I recommend just using something else entirely. If you want to use sleeved objects, that's fine, but the sleeves need to be a different color from your deck+sideboard. Scrap paper that you scribble names+p/t on are also fine in a pinch.
    - As a general rule, write as clearly as possible.
    - You will be tasked with opening+registering a card pool. Follow the TO/HJ's instructions carefully for this part. In general, you'll be asked to sort the cards in some particular way and to record total quantities of cards.
    - Foils don't matter, they just count as another copy of that card.
    - When you then are given a pool to build a deck with, remember that you will be expected to return the deck to the configuration that you write down at the start of every match. Don't forget to register your basic lands.
    - Use digits, not hashes or other counting methods, to record on the sheet.
    - If there's anything wrong with your pool, call a judge.
    - Don't put any other cards anywhere near the cards you're playing in the tournament with during a match. This means that if you have your deck+sideboard in a deckbox, don't put anything else in that deckbox at any point, and don't put that deckbox in your bag while you're seated for a match. (Another way to get around this is to clearly indicate "this is my sideboard" to your opponents and keep the stack of cards visible on the table at the start of every match - at that point nothing else can even remotely be considered your sideboard. I recognize this is impractical for sealed, though.)
    - No electronics allowed during a match. This includes but is not limited to headphones and tablets used for life tracking.
    - Sling your bag around your leg and keep it between your feet while you're sitting. Lots easier to prevent/catch tampering.
    - When you receive your match slip, make sure your name is on it. (It's also a good habit to check the name of your opponent when you look at your pairings, and then inquire with the person who comes to sit opposite you to make sure you are in fact both in the right place.)
    - You are expected to remember what your cards do. There are no takebacks, and if something goes wrong, no matter who may seem at fault or how easy it may seem to fix, stop and call a judge.
    - Call judges LOUDLY. Keep an arm raised so they know where to find you. Don't put it down until a judge has arrived at your table and addressed you.
    - Don't scoop up your cards just because you show your opponent your killing blow until they've clearly conceded (getting them to sign the match slip is always your best bet); scooping can be considered a concession where other communication is unclear.
    - Verify, sign, and return your match slips to the scorekeepers as soon as possible.
    - When in doubt, call a judge.
    - If you disagree with, don't understand, or otherwise just would like some additional input on a scenario, you have the right to appeal a judge's ruling. The red-shirt judge who handles the appeal generally has the final say in the issue.
    - Finding out venue rules on food and drink is always good - with as many people as will be there, not feeling like you have to rush to scarf down overpriced food between rounds is a plus.
    - Call a judge.
    - If you need to leave the hall for an emergency or bathroom or whatever during a round or when you think it might be close to time for a round to start, call/tell a judge; give them your name, and make sure you get their name.
    - Don't be late getting to your match - you'll generally receive a game loss if you're not in your seat when the clock starts.
    - Call a judge.

Hopefully this isn't too wall-o-text, it's all relevant for someone who hasn't really done more than FNM for a while though. Don't want people to feel like they got caught unawares. And in case I didn't say it enough, make sure to call or ask judges if you have any questions about anything while there - we're there to help!

• Options
    edited May 2015
    Oh, a few things I missed

- Once you've sat for a match, do not leave the table without a tournament official's permission; if you do, you could be considered to have lost/conceded the match.
    - Check your points when you check your pairings. You should have 3 points per match win. If you ever spot a problem with your results, get to the scorekeeper as quick as you can and let them know. If there was a judge standing at the pairings board, also tell them that there is an error, but do not rely on this as "reporting" the issue. You need to tell the scorekeeper yourself, and quickly.
    - If/when you do call a judge, try to make a note of the current time left in the round; if a judge can't get to you immediately, you're still entitled to that time lost waiting for one. Make sure and let them know if this is the case.
    - Judges aren't "allowed" to be as forthcoming with information as they would be at FNM. If you have a question about how certain rules interactions work, be direct and specific. Questions like "Can I use Spellskite on both targets of my opponent's Electrolyze?" is just going to make everyone sad. Questions like "My opponent is casting Electrolyze on both of my Spirit tokens. Can I change both targets to Spellskite?" are much better. (Corollary: If you ask a judge a question and they don't leave the table afterwards, there's a nonzero chance you should probably ask more questions, because they know that the answer they just gave you is likely going to land someone in trouble shortly because the question asked is not really what should have been asked.)
    - Try not to stress out if you see a judge watching your match. Judges have been working to emphasize that we're also there to have fun and watch people play Magic, so that's what we try to do. We're not hounding people waiting for someone to screw up, and even if you do mess up, it's ok! We can fix it.
    - Penalties aren't a big deal, really. They're there to reinforce that while we do expect technically correct play, mistakes happen. Just don't let them mount up over the course of the day and you'll be fine.

Nullzone on
  • Options
    I had a judge standing over my shoulder watching me play modern storm at a GP. I was nervous the whole time, but I succeeded in my combo and he just walked away. I guess he was assuming I'd miss triggers or something?

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    note that for that one person who was excited for a whippy/betgirl/inagtp road trip story, i'm afraid i will NOT be skyping in for the Drive To Vegas podcast

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    note that for that one person who was excited for a whippy/betgirl/inagtp road trip story, i'm afraid i will NOT be skyping in for the Drive To Vegas podcast

subscription cancelled

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    I stopped at every table where I spotted a Jeskai Ascendancy at the last Standard open I went to, because I wanted to observe relative strengths of different cards played in it. I had no reason to stop other than wanting to learn more about that specific archetype - there was never anything wrong.

Sometimes judges just wanna watch Magic!

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    also if your match is going long, there are fewer players going so there's less of a need to patrol. The last few matches in a round usually have a judge watching.

• Options
    Nullzone wrote: »
    I stopped at every table where I spotted a Jeskai Ascendancy at the last Standard open I went to, because I wanted to observe relative strengths of different cards played in it. I had no reason to stop other than wanting to learn more about that specific archetype - there was never anything wrong.

Sometimes judges just wanna watch Magic!

Well I mean, I did play Storm amazingly well, since I'm so crazy good at this game.

...what? Of course I didn't go 4-3 drop! Don't be ridiculous! I... won the event, of course! I did so well they gave me two trophies!

• Options
    edited May 2015
    Yeah Terrandos if he watched you go off and then walked away he probably was just watching and when he saw that the game was all but over walked away. That's not unlike what everybody does when watching other tournament goers.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Did an MM2 draft Sunday. I ended up in Bwu control. Only saw one Thief of Hope. But I had 2 Agony Warps, 3 Scuttling Deaths, 2 Nameless Inversions, 2 Pillory of the Sleepless, an Arrest and 2 Dimir Guildmages.

Split with roommate in the finals. Lucky son of a SOTAR had a Goyf and a Hierarch and had the balls to still win 2 matches.

To be fair, his deck had 2 Bloodthrone Vampire, 3 Plagued Rusalka and 2 of the dumb buyback skeleton.

This discussion has been closed.