As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DnD 5E PbP] 28 Weeks Later (Game starts back up on page 9)

DenadaDenada Registered User regular
edited April 2016 in Critical Failures
n7pm8rt3y60f.jpg
The port town of Anbury has fallen silent. Typically, merchants arrive every week from the coast, but the Fish Gate of Atex has been quiet for almost a month. Parties that have departed for Anbury haven’t returned, and rumors are beginning to spread. As members of the Order of the Rose – a secret society dedicated to the eradication of evil throughout the world – you have been tasked with finding out what happened in Anbury.
As secret societies are wont to do, they suspect the worst.

This is a play-by-post (PbP) game of Dungeons & Dragons 5E, run by me. I’m looking for 4 players. If you want to play, create a character of 6th level and post it here. I’ll be taking submissions until next Wednesday, 5/27. At some point on that day (or maybe the next day) I’ll select the party and we’ll get started.

CHARACTER CREATION
  • Level 6.
  • For ability scores, you can use the standard array (15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8) or a Point-Buy (27 points). The point-buy table is on page 10 of the PHB or on page 8 of the Basic Rules. No rolling.
  • Your allowed sources are the PHB and any official online PDFs (including Unearthed Arcana because why not).
  • You start with your regular starting equipment, plus an additional 500 + 1d10x25 gp that you can spend on mundane equipment as you see fit. No potions, scrolls, or other magic items.
  • Don’t make a loner. Don’t make a traitor, a lurker, a sulker, a skulker, a quiet-but-always-faithful-to-her-friends, a meathead, a talks-with-his-deeds-not-his-words, a fish-out-of-water, or any other kind of character that is going to wait for someone else to post. Your character needs to be the kind of character that will speak up and take action.
  • Your characters know each other, have worked together for a long time, and trust each other.
  • You don't have any magic items (yet).

A LITTLE MORE BACKGROUND
  • The Order of the Rose is based in Atex, the largest city on Halderth. That is where your characters live, although it doesn't need to be where they're from.
  • Within the Order, you are what is known as a Hunter. It's your job to go into dangerous situations, kill monsters, and destroy evil. Hunters are organized into small teams of 3-6 people.
  • Anbury is a port town. It started as a fishing village, but quickly grew larger when it became a key port of call for merchant ships traveling to/from both Port of Kings and Enar (by way of Iceport).
  • The dwarves of Halderth mostly stick to the northern mountain ranges. Though not officially a separate nation, Hammerfast is considered the dwarven capital city.
  • Most of the elves of Halderth are from the areas surrounding Ubani to the north and Serphah to the south. Unlike the dwarves, the elves of the Wild Wood are a sovereign nation, and are particularly isolationist.
  • Humans and the other races are spread out over pretty much everywhere else.

TECHNICAL DETAILS
  • Host your character sheet on Myth-Weavers. I don’t want to manage a bunch of PDFs.
  • We will use the forum’s built-in dice rolling feature for rolls.
  • I do most of my posting during the hours of 9am – 5pm PST. I don’t post much on the weekends.

Denada on

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    I've never played 5E but I've got the core book so I'm willing to get this a shot.

• FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    Working on a character concept that fits.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Sounds fun!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    I wanna play! Here's my dude:
    Hot-headed, arrogant, and kind of an asshole, it was only a matter of time before Homil got himself kicked out of the Taikari, a tribe of Wood Elves who roamed the Northern Peaks of Ubani and communed with the spirits of eagles. He took his fury and his weapons on the road, an itinerant adventurer, sometime brigand, and full-time bully, and ultimately washed up in the Cantos, a loose collection of villages set along the river known as the Song. There, he made a name for himself in the local militia, fighting the goblins that occasionally wandered down from the White Crest Mountains. He lived a more or less decadent life, pushing around those less skilled than him while avoiding--and hating--those moreso.

His life changed, though, when a dispute erupted between the Cantos and their Duke over some point of taxation that Homil never bothered to understand. Hard words led to harder actions, and it wasn't long before the Duke's troops were marching for the Cantos. A bloody day was averted, though, when a coalition of clergy suggested that the matter be decided via trial by combat. The Duke, pressed for time and with more important concerns, agreed and put forth his champion, a scarred veteran of several dozen campaigns. The people of the Cantos put forth the finest warrior they had: the itinerant, bullying Wood Elf, Homil.

In the ensuing fight, Homil was forced face to face with the fear that drove his rage: somebody better than he was. Beaten and bedraggled, he was near the point of pleading for mercy when his opponent's foot caught on a stone, opening him for a killing blow. The sharp-eyed elf took the moment, and as the Duke's champion bled out the two of them locked eyes; both knew that the elf, by all rights, should have been dead. But to the townsfolk he was a hero, feasted, celebrated, and quickly smuggled the hell out of town to avoid reprisal from the Duke.

But Homil knew: he hadn't been as good as he thought he was, not by a long shot, and those towns that had taken him in had been saved not by their champion, but by sheer, blind luck. Never again, he vowed. He would travel, he would train, he would fight until his real skill at arms matched up with what had believed it to be.

The Taikari Elves favor a mobile style of combat, darting this way and that through the fray. Too, accuracy with a thrown axe or spear is highly prized, and there is high honor in switching weapons mid-fight. This makes Taikari war-parties a very confusing bunch to fight, as a savage charge with axe and sword may suddenly break off, only to be followed by a volley of thrown spears. Though Homil was exiled before he was a full-blooded member of the war parties, he still learned and values his home tribe's fighting style.

Homil Niallo
    Wood Elf Barbarian 6 CN

AC 14 HP 59 Speed 55ft

Str 15 (2) Dex 15 (2) Con 14 (2) Wis 13 (1) Int 10 (0) Cha 8 (-1)

Attacks
    Handaxe (2) (20/60) +5 1d6+2
    Spear (20/60) +5 1d6+2
    Spear (2-handed) +5 1d8+2
    Longsword +5 1d8+2
    Longsword (2-handed) +5 1d10+2

Darkvision 60 ft.
    Fey Ancestry (No magic sleep, adv. vs. charms)
    Trance (4 hours of sleep, remain aware)
    Mask of the Wild (hide when lightly obscured)
    Rage (4/day, +2 dmg)
    Unarmored Defense (AC 10+Con+Dex no armor)
    Reckless Attack
    Danger Sense (Adv. on visible Dex saves)
    Primal Path (Totem Warrior)
    Spirit Seeker (Beast Sense/Speak w/ animals as rituals)
    Totem Spirit (Eagle: Bonus Dash if raging, AOOs have dadv.)
    Feat: Mobility (+10 ft movement et. al.)
    Extra Attack
    Fast Movement (+10 ft. movement)
    I need to work on his equipment a bit, but beyond that I'm pretty happy. Hopefully I didn't jack up anything. My thought with the Intimidation skill was that he tries super hard to come off as tough and scary, but it just comes up as an insecure guy puffing his chest a bit.

Mongrel Idiot on
    Mark me down for Karnak the Slayer, Half-Orc Vengeance Paladin. Will provide personality and crunch shortly.

• GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Give me a little time and I will bang out the stats for Bixby Garthson Starr, gentleman Pugilist!

• RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Hmmm. I've got a character build that I really want to try out but I'm leading into it for an IRL campaign... So I'll probably do something entirely new. Warlock/Paladin is a sweet build though.

EDIT: To make it easy for @Denada I'll keep a link to the sheet on this page as well, since nobody else has posted on page 2 yet. Look at me being all helpful.

Keysera Ilphes, High Elf Sorcerer

Rainfall on
  • DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    I am very interested in playing in another Denada game since the last died for some reason. Never played 5E but that had to change at some point.

Alternately, I might go bard if we wind up with a lot of Bonk characters.

I'm planning out a human eldritch knight, for what it's worth.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
    If the party winds up lacking something and I get picked, I can swap out for whatever; I've got plenty of character ideas I'd like to try.

Quick question: where do you want us to post our characters on myth busters?

• DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Just use their character sheet feature, make it public, and then post the link to it here.

Most of Trebor Galadil's information is found in his character sheet. Meet Trebor, the knowledge-hungry Librarian-Guard that moonlights as a Hunter for the Order of the Rose.
    Trebor Galadil
    Human Fighter (Eldritch Knight) 6 L N

AC 18 HP 50 Speed 30ft

Str 18 (4) Dex 10 (0) Con 14 (2) Wis 12 (1) Int 14 (2) Cha 8 (-1)

Attacks
    Silver Glaive (Bonded) +7 1d10
    Longsword (Bonded) +7 1d8/1d10
    Handaxe (x2) +7 1d6

HEAVY ARMOR MASTER
    -Bl/Pi/Sl damage -3 (nonmagical)

ATHLETE
    -Prone to Standing uses 5ft
    -Climbing doesn't halve speed
    -Make running long/high jump after 5ft

SENTINEL
    -Creature hit with AoO Speed = 0
    -Creature w/in 5ft provokes AoO with Disengage
    -Creature w/in 5ft attacking others provokes AoO

Defense Fighting Style: +1 AC in Armor
    Second Wind: 1d10+6HP (Bonus Action, S Rest)
    Action Surge: One additional action. (S Rest)
    Extra Attack: One Attack action = two attacks
    Weapon Bond: No disarm, BAction teleports.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
    Karnak the Slayer, Half-Orc Paladin of Vengeance
    Karnak was raised as a monk, given over to a monastery in Three Bridges by a mother that could not afford to bring him up as her own. The brothers treated Karnak as their own son, molding him against his orcish nature into a kind and devoted man. Though they instilled in him virtue, Karnak still had a wanderer's spirit, and once he was old enough he left the order to see the world and do what he could to help those in need. He lived off the kindness of strangers, healing the sick and doing what he could to feed the hungry.

After three years of wandering Halderth, Karnak returned to Three Bridges to find the monastery destroyed and most of the town in ruin. Heartbroken, Karnak did what he could to help the survivors, working tirelessly through three days and nights. On the fourth day a stranger arrived in town, a heavily armed man with a stylized rose engraved onto his coal-black breastplate.

The man was a knight from the Order of the Rose, sent to investigate the destruction. From the rubble he found tracks, and from the tracks he found the source - a green dragon, hidden among the forest and laying in wait for the knight. The two battled ferociously, and though the knight slew the dragon, the beast inflicted upon him a mortal wound. Karnak tried to save the man, and failed. With his dying breath, the man asked Karnak to return his arms and armor to the Order so that another might take up the cause.

Karnak delivered final rites to the man, then took both corpse and belongings overland to the Order's temple in Atek. He gave witness of the man's battle, and asked that the Order take him in. Karnak has thrived within the Order of the Rose, putting together both his deep compassion and fiery spirit to create a deadly foe for any who would do evil across the face of Halderth.

In addition to his Oath of Vengeance, Karnak has sworn to chastity and poverty. He accepts no payment for his services, and any donations are sent directly to the Order of the Rose. While he prefers not to eat meat, he will eat whatever food is offered without complaint. Karnak believes that every person can be better than what they are now, and while he is endlessly compassionate to those who strive towards self-betterment, he is also brutally unforgiving of those who would raise a hand in evil against another.

myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=215757
    Behold wist, Tiefling, Bard, and the reason your lady friends are constantly talking about how dreamy those tieflings are :P

I respect your bard's proficiency in Spoons.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
    Fuselage wrote: »
    I respect your bard's proficiency in Spoons.

:bro:

• PACherrnPACherrn Registered User regular
    Super idea! I shall come up with a character :D

I like what I'm seeing so far everyone! Keep 'em coming!

Minion, roll 1d100 for a trinket
    Minion, roll 1d10 for 500 + 1d10x25 gp

a trinket:
    1d100 37 [1d100=37]
    500 + 1d10x25 gp:
    1d10 10 [1d10=10]

Is multiclassing a thing in 5E? Is it something we can do here?

It's in the rules, and is pretty straightforward. For the most part you get everything from both classes, but there are a few features (like Channel Divinity) that don't stack.

I'm thinking of some sort of Barbarian/Cleric that smites foes while drunk. I'm just playing around with how much of which do I go.

Depends on how much you want a specific Barbarian archetypeclass feature over the Cleric's spellcasting and whatnot I think. If you select spells that don't have saving throws it would be easier on your stats, too. Right now I'm just combing over my dude and seeing where he needs a feat vs a +2 stat increase to do what he needs to.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Working up a dwarf cleric today....quick and likely silly question:

You only get one of the domain spells, yes? Not both?

Steelhawk wrote: »
    Working up a dwarf cleric today....quick and likely silly question:

You only get one of the domain spells, yes? Not both?

Nope, both!

How do the training from Backgrounds work? Are those in additional to class skills?

• Pirate ViperPirate Viper Registered User regular
    @jdarksun That is exactly how it works.

jdarksun wrote: »
    How do the training from Backgrounds work? Are those in additional to class skills?

I thought you ran a 5E game! These are questions I ask you!

Since Gods aren't as cornerstone to the story as they were in 4E, can we make up a god to work with our background (if it's just fluff stuff) or do you have a certain pantheon in mind?

jdarksun wrote: »
    I thought you ran a 5E game! These are questions I ask you!
    I am actively running a 5E game! But I only concern myself with GM rules, lol.

Well, I'm throwing together a Dragonblood High Elf Sorcerer, just gotta pick a small handful of spells and then it'll be postable.

Minion, roll 1d100 for a trinket
    Minion, roll 1d10 for FILTHY LUCRE

a trinket:
    1d100 57 [1d100=57]
    FILTHY LUCRE:
    1d10 8 [1d10=8]

Updated my equipment; just gotta roll for a trinket and gold.

Do you think that a sword, spear, two handaxes, four javelins, and ten daggers are enough hardware, or should I load up some throwing hammers, a pike, and a few whips, too?

Geth, roll 1d100 for A trinket!
    Geth, roll 1d10 for Dolla dolla bill, y'all.

A trinket!:
    1d100 74 [1d100=74]
    Dolla dolla bill, y'all:
    1d10 7 [1d10=7]

Since Gods aren't as cornerstone to the story as they were in 4E, can we make up a god to work with our background (if it's just fluff stuff) or do you have a certain pantheon in mind?

I used the standard 4E pantheon originally, but that doesn't mean those are the only gods around. The world has also changed somewhat since that first campaign so feel free to invent new gods or describe places or whatever.

• PACherrnPACherrn Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    A note from me, I am working on a warlock with a fiend patron I think :)

PACherrn on
    edited May 2015
    For your consideration:

Laggard Barrelbutt, Dwarf (Mountain) Cleric of Moradin

bruenor____by_direnayhan_by_Dwarves.jpg

Background:
    Laggard is a career soldier and War Cleric of Moradin. Raised in a devout family, Laggard took to the church easily, but always liked the more....robust....dwarven pastimes: carousing and fighting. This directly led to an honest career as a soldier in the Hammerfast military, followed by a lucrative career as an officer in a mercenary army. His heroism and self-sacrifice at the Battle of Something-Or-Other (which luckily, didn't actually kill him) brought him to the attention of the Order of Rose. Now Laggard spends his days swinging his axe and singing his prayers fighting for the Greater Good alongside his friends and companions in the Order.

Laggard loves adventure and gold and keeping the lands free from evil. He is devout, yet does not preach. He loves his ale, spirits and food. So much so that he usually takes the role of cook while on the road and enjoys regaling his companions with takes of his days in the army. He can also usually be found fiddling with his brewers kit. Safely tucked into the bottom of his pack is always a mini-cask of ale, his unique recipes aging away where Laggard can keep an eye on it.

Stats Block:
    Laggard Barrelbutt
    Mountain Dwarf Cleric 6 LG

AC 19 HP 56 Speed 25ft

Str 16 (+3) Dex 8 (-1) Con 16 (+3) Wis 16 (+3) Int 10 (0) Cha 12 (+1)

Attacks
    Battleaxe (S, Versatile) +6 1d8+3
    Warhammer (B) +6 1d8+3
    Crossbow (P) +2 1d8

Darkvision
    Dwarven Resilience (ADV vs. Poison)
    Stonecunning (x2 Prof. bonus on History checks)
    Dwarven Weapons & Armor Training
    War Priest: Extra Attack as Bonus Action (3/rest)
    Channel Divinity (1/Rest)
    - Turn Undead (Destroy under 1/2 CR)
    - Guided Strike (+10 Attack Bonus)
    - War God's Blessing (Grant +10 Attack Bonus)
    Soldier Background

Die Rolls:
    Geth, roll 5d8+15 for HP past 1st level
    Geth, roll 5d4x10+10 for starting gold
    Geth, roll 1d10x25+500 for added gold

HP past 1st level:
    5d8+15 45 [5d8=3, 5, 7, 7, 8]
    starting gold:
    5d4x10+10 11 [5d4x10=4, 3, 2, 1, 3]
    added gold:
    1d10x25+500 500 [1d10x25=2]

Steelhawk on
    Figured that the multipliers wouldn't work. No problem, but apologies for the double post

Geth, roll 1d100 for a trinket

a trinket:
    1d100 35 [1d100=35]

• ScallelScallel Registered User new member
    Is there room for one more or am I too late upon noticing this thread?