As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX Prime 2015 Information, FAQ, and Q&A Thread (Ask Questions Here!)

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Yeah in the past there have been successful "kids at pax" threads.

#1 advice, ear protection.

• Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Also, no strollers allowed on the Expo floor, and no we won't store them for you.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    Duder5001Duder5001 Registered User new member
    Is there a forum for trading rooms? I need a hotel with a check-in age of 18, but the one I booked is 21.

• Options
    PavioPavio Registered User regular
    Duder5001 wrote: »
    Is there a forum for trading rooms? I need a hotel with a check-in age of 18, but the one I booked is 21.

The Room Shares thread, right below this one:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/198234/room-shares#latest

v6h3hfs2v597.png
  • Options
    Duder5001Duder5001 Registered User new member
    edited May 2015
    I thought it was just for sharing. I want to trade my reservation. Is that ok?

Duder5001 on
  • Options
    There's no real spot for that sort of thing. You could try posting about it in the hotel thread.

• Options
    ScunosiScunosi WashingtonRegistered User regular
    In another thread people mentioned bringing collapsible seats/stools. They look really handy, but I'm wondering with the new tighter rules to help reduce congestion, will these (continue I suppose) to be allowed? I don't want to tell all my friends to buy them if we won't be able to use them.

• Options
    havok978havok978 Baltimore, MdRegistered User regular
    Scunosi wrote: »
    In another thread people mentioned bringing collapsible seats/stools. They look really handy, but I'm wondering with the new tighter rules to help reduce congestion, will these (continue I suppose) to be allowed? I don't want to tell all my friends to buy them if we won't be able to use them.

IIRC the "tighter rules" relate to stopping in aisles; ie for taking cosplay pics for example. The collapsible stools would be more for when you're already in a line, and thus theoretically not in the middle of an aisle potentially blocking a path.

XyqJPIp.png
  • Options
    DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    Note that sometimes people are asked to stand in line (to make more room), but then you could just stow your stool away,

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular

It depends a lot on the specific line too... I would never deploy my stool in one of the Exhibition hall lines. But panel and theater lines tend to be a little less cramped, with a lot of people playing cards on the floor and whatnot.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    ddt58ddt58 Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    How many ways can you use the phrase "deploy my stool" in a sentence?

• Options
    scotty2haughtyscotty2haughty Registered User regular
    Just wondering if there will be a "ride share" thread posted, or if there is any interest in that? I will likely have 1-2 spots open in a car and would gladly open it up to people in need of a ride!

• Options
    There have been threads for that before, but they rarely see much use. You can start one up if you want

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Does anyone have prior experience sending Amazon Pantry packages to their hotel of choice? Past PAXes have given me the experience of lugging on foot cases of water or soda from nearby markets. I figure I would find an alternate solution this year. I assume hotels are generally okay with packages being delivered to guests just as long as they are sent days in advance of check in. Is this assumption incorrect?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    FenrisfangFenrisfang Edmonton, AB, CanadaRegistered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Does anyone have prior experience sending Amazon Pantry packages to their hotel of choice? Past PAXes have given me the experience of lugging on foot cases of water or soda from nearby markets. I figure I would find an alternate solution this year. I assume hotels are generally okay with packages being delivered to guests just as long as they are sent days in advance of check in. Is this assumption incorrect?

While I have never sent food/drinks to my hotel, my first year at PAX we sent our buttons (for buttoneering) to our hotel and they were fine with it. I would give the hotel a call and check the policy before just sending it though. We had to make sure we had the details of our stay on the package plus we had to make sure it was in my husbands name as he was the one with the credit card on file...stuff like that.

PAX Tickets: check!
    Hotel Booked: check!
    Sitter for the kids: check!
    Excitement level rising: check, check and triple check!
  • Options
    ClannMorganClannMorgan Registered User regular

I asked this same question in the Prime Newbie thread, I've only attended east and could pick up provisions enroute...I was thinking on having delivery from a local supermarket, but someone suggested Amazon Fresh. I called and Amazon said they haven't had any issues delivering to a hotel but suggested that I schedule the delivery for the day I plan on checking in.

I too don't want to be lugging a case of water to the hotel.

• Options
    cursecurse Bellevue, WARegistered User regular

I asked this same question in the Prime Newbie thread, I've only attended east and could pick up provisions enroute...I was thinking on having delivery from a local supermarket, but someone suggested Amazon Fresh. I called and Amazon said they haven't had any issues delivering to a hotel but suggested that I schedule the delivery for the day I plan on checking in.

I too don't want to be lugging a case of water to the hotel.

Just as an FYI, I believe Amazon Fresh will start charging $299 for members to access the service after June. Unless you're already paying this in your current market, paying this for a weekend of deliveries seems kind of brutal.

Instacart might deliver but: 1. They have a delivery charge that varies on the amount you order. 2. They have a minimum order of $10. 3. They charge about a 20% premium on Costco water. You might be able to find a "free delivery" code for Instacart out there somewhere, though.

Postmates also exists, but they charge even more, and don't have near the selection.

7lcw1cifdzb4.png
  • Options
    ClannMorganClannMorgan Registered User regular
    I'm a Prime member so as of right now I can use AF. Anyone else interested in using them may want to check with Amazon directly,

• Options
    DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    Yeah, Amazon Fresh Seattle will be charging $299 a year for the service starting in July, so it won't help you unless you're already paying the higher AF fee; just having Prime won't help by the time PAX happens.

• Options
    pogoplaypogoplay Writer/Blogger/Gamer Calgary, AlbertaRegistered User regular
    Anyone know when they do calls for the Omeganauts? This is the first time I'm qualifying for it and didn't want to miss the call just incase :)

Attended: PAX Prime 2010, PAX Prime 2011, PAX Prime 2012, PAX Prime 2014.
    Attending: PAX Prime 2016
    Twitter @Pogoplay
  • Options
    KeroanKeroan Chicago, IllinoisRegistered User regular
    pogoplay wrote: »
    Anyone know when they do calls for the Omeganauts? This is the first time I'm qualifying for it and didn't want to miss the call just incase :)

Usually Khoo/PA will tweet out beforehand to ask people to actually answer their phone when they call I believe.

• Options
    PurpleSkyPurpleSky Registered User regular
    Well I recently played Dominion and loved it. Does this game usually have an appearance at TT for PAX? I would love to play it there either in free play or otherwise.

• Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    There will be Dominion, don't worry.

• Options
    Aardvark VulgarAardvark Vulgar Registered User regular
    havok978 wrote: »

IIRC the "tighter rules" relate to stopping in aisles; ie for taking cosplay pics for example. The collapsible stools would be more for when you're already in a line, and thus theoretically not in the middle of an aisle potentially blocking a path.
    In recent years I've had enforcer's tell me and the people around me that sitting on the ground or in chairs is not allowed when waiting in lines. I've also been told that sitting on the floor while in line is not allowed, but sitting in a stool/chair is. It varies from enforcer to enforcer, but I really don't see an issue with sitting while waiting in a line. I can see potential fire hazard reasons, but they have only told me to stand when I'm in line, not just sitting around elsewhere so I'm not sure. It would be nice to hear the official rules on line sitting.

70xnyzr.png
  • Options
    BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    It varies line by line (Queue room vs expo booth vs merch booth vs panel rooms) and venue to venue. The biggest factor is usually how much room do we have for the line. We have gotten pretty good at estimating the number of people that can fit in a space, and we will have a good idea on if it will be a tight fit or not. If its a panel that will fill up, and we have a small space for the line, then we unfortunately have to squish people as close as possible, which means no sitting. If we have more room we can be more lenient. Some venues are more concerned about crowd hazard issues in certain areas and so we have to abide by their wishes.

I'm not sure we will ever be able to have a standard rule that applies to all area's or times of day. As always with anything, asking the enforcers in an area (or just sitting until they ask you to not) should get you the best information. We will, as always, endeavor to make sure all the enforcers are on the same page, but as with any groups of thousands of individuals, that can be tricky.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Options
    TaichikittyTaichikitty Registered User new member
    I registered for the Monday of PAX Prime, but circumstances dictate that I cannot attend or be in Seattle for any of that weekend. Any options for me to refund/liquidate my ticket so that I am not out the $40?

• Options
    zerzhul wrote: »
    So there is no way to refund extra tickets? I prefer not to scalp my extra badges due to unreliable friends backing out of attending. Or is there a ticket exchange forum I can post on?
    There's no official method for resale, and the general PAX policy is no refunds. You could try emailing pax_questions@paxsite.com but I am pretty sure that's what they will tell you.

• Options
    TaichikittyTaichikitty Registered User new member
    Will the badge I get mailed be tied to my identity? Can I give-away / trade / sell my physical badge and have someone else able to use it?

• Options
    Nope, badges have no personally identifiable info on them. Feel free to give/sell/trade as you please.

• Options
    KhooFanKhooFan Madison, WIRegistered User regular
    whypick1 wrote: »
    Nope, badges have no personally identifiable info on them. Feel free to give/sell/trade as you please.

Note that I came here with the same question and read that there is no buy/sell/trade of passes allowed on these forums. see: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/32298728/#Comment_32298728

• Options
    Yes, that is also true, but the physical badge you are free to do what you want with. Some of those options may not be available to you here but that does not mean they are totally invalid things to do with the badge.

• Options
    tofulynntofulynn FloridaRegistered User regular
    I would like to join the Magical Mystery Tour of Seattle for 2015. Where/when can I sign up to be a part of it?

• Options
    tofulynn wrote: »
    I would like to join the Magical Mystery Tour of Seattle for 2015. Where/when can I sign up to be a part of it?
    Whenever the organizer decides to post a thread about it :)

It's designed to be mostly "join on the fly" though so there's usually not a required sign up. Typically the tour organizers will post options on potential destinations a couple months before pax, so just keep your eyes open on the forums and it will likely show up.

• Options
    sanovahsanovah Nerd of the West San Diego, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Hope this is the right place/not a weird question.

Anyone have experience using Uber or Lyft in the Seattle area and have one they prefer over the other? I'm living just north of Seattle and trying to plan my way down there atm in addition to other sightseeing I want to do but haven't used either service up here yet to make a decision for myself. I know they both service where I live and then downtown Seattle. So I'm looking for which people prefer in the city so I can actually enjoy myself.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    As a service, uber has the better app and is easier to use. Lyft has fewer (known) scandals around its organization.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    sanovah wrote: »

Anyone have experience using Uber or Lyft in the Seattle area and have one they prefer over the other? I'm living just north of Seattle and trying to plan my way down there atm in addition to other sightseeing I want to do but haven't used either service up here yet to make a decision for myself. I know they both service where I live and then downtown Seattle. So I'm looking for which people prefer in the city so I can actually enjoy myself.

We used Uber twice while we were there last year, and had no problems with the service... The drivers were a little crusty, but the vehicles were clean, service was pretty prompt, and pricing was fair (in our estimation). No experience with Lyft, however.

Edit: Frustrating grammar error.

BouwsT on
    Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    jamsyarbotsjamsyarbots Wilmington, DERegistered User regular

Last time I was in Seattle I used uber at the recommendation of my airbnb host. It was really easy to use and cheaper than taking a cab. I couldn't recommend it enough.

• Options
    SolelronSolelron Wandering Gamer Cornelius, ORRegistered User regular

I used lyft to get from the Camlin back to King Street station after PAX last year. it was almost the exact same cost as a cab, but a much better vehicle, and way faster (took over an hour one time to get a cab)

• Options
    reneprenep Registered User new member
    Is there any available information about PAX Seattle's labor requirements? Thanks, everyone!

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    renep wrote: »
    Is there any available information about PAX Seattle's labor requirements? Thanks, everyone!
    Do you mean to be paid to help run something at PAX? Or to volunteer (as an Enforcer or doing exhibtor stuff for no money)? Or some other paid job working for PAX directly.

This discussion has been closed.