As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Rest In Peace, B.B. King.

WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
edited May 2015 in Social Entropy++
B.B. King passed away in his sleep at his home in Las Vegas Thursday night. He was 89.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y8QxOjuYHg

He will be missed.

WeedLordVegeta on

• Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Damn.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    That fucking sucks.

I mean, he lived a long life and went peacefully in his sleep, which is about the best way to go anyone can hope for, but still.

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    No

No. Unacceptable.

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Man... This sucks...

http://youtu.be/sJK78Y3zoQk

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I'd kind of assumed that he'd already passed, but this is still rotten news

• Options
    number13number13 Registered User regular
    My dad got me into blues back when I was a kid. We used to listen to B.B. King and Buddy Guy on weekends together back when I lived in Florida. He was a big part of me loving music in general. Gonna listen to Lucille on vinyl tomorrow, I think.

2w3e5cp.jpg
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    My dad always would listen to BB.

The thing I love about the blues, and these fantastic bluesmen (and women) is that they SHARE. They don't collaborate, they SHARE.

Pick a song by a blues artist and chances are you type it into google there's a ton of artists doing it. And in blues, no one is "covering" it. They're DOING it. They're PLAYING it.

It's so unique. They share, the collaborate, the pass on what they write and they let it grow and evolve.

So I am very glad that BB met with so many talented artists that his songs will just continue to live, and breathe, and evolve.

This was a magical night, and I always think about this video when I think of BB. Watching all these generations come together, and not "cover" each others songs...but just PLAY together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mva8cgX8ttU

RIP King.

EDIT: BB isn't in that trailer much, here's the full show. 53 minutes in, for the finale, Obama sings and passes the mic to BB quickly. It's awesome.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    If it makes people feel better, last week I heard on the radio that he had made peace with his impeding death and was in hospice care.

There's pretty much no better way to die.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I'm glad to say that I was able to see him perform live.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Sorry sorry sorry wrong thread

knitdan on
    “I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    My dad's gonna be so bummed when hears this.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    yeah, my dad went to bed a few hours before the news broke

(he'll be waking up pretty soon i think ugh i should sleep)

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    The three Kings of blues are gone.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    lucille gonna be in the rock and roll hall of fame?

• Options
    minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    CNN had five things to know today, stuff about the Amtrack crash, some other stuff, something about Johnny Depp bringing his dogs into Australia without documentation.

BB King's death was down below, as a piece of news that didn't quite make the list, but was close.

Well done CNN.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Listening to only B.B. King today in his memory.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    It's a crying shame that the Billy Mays thread got more attention than this one. The blues were formative in my teenage years, even as a white boy living in Texas, and even though I had been in high school band for 6 years, playing harmonica to a BB King song is where I really got my start as a musician.

Blues is miraculous, and BB King was the soul of the genre.

It really says something about him that he was 89 years old and this still fucks me up. The man wasn't flashy like Stevie Ray Vaughan but the notes he played were the right notes, and that means more than all the gimmicky, overproduced garbage that makes it on the air.

God damn, he will be missed.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    The thrill is gone away. :(

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Billy Mays was (relatively) young and at the top of his weird celebrity status when he died. It was a surprise.

King died at 89 after giving a statement just a week earlier that he was at death's door, so this didn't come out of left field or anything. I feel like shock tends to drive these threads a bit more.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    existexist Registered User regular
    I don't mean this to sound edgy but I sincerely didn't know he was still alive until that news story from last week. Assumed he'd been dead for decades.

UmPiq.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Billy Mays was (relatively) young and at the top of his weird celebrity status when he died. It was a surprise.

King died at 89 after giving a statement just a week earlier that he was at death's door, so this didn't come out of left field or anything. I feel like shock tends to drive these threads a bit more.

I guess. I just feel like music is a bit more personal than a guy coming on TV and telling me to buy things, so I suppose this news hit me harder. Not to say Mays' death wasn't tragic.

My grandparents are getting old, and I know they have to go sometime, and also their deaths will likely be peaceful, but it will still affect me deeply.

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    the thrill is gone

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Regretting that I didn't drive back home during college to go see him with my family when I had the chance.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Two of B.B.'s daughters are alleging that he was poisoned.

Las Vegas police have opened up a homicide investigation based on these claims.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I mean I hope he wasn't but my gut says it is far more likely that the 89 year old man in hospice died of natural causes and that article doesn't really sound like they have much evidence besides "no one was there but his aides as we think they did it"

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    There were allegations of elder abuse for a while before his death. His children were trying to reclaim power of attorney for months.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    Who would risk poisoning a man as old and famous as he was?

People surprise me sometimes with how nasty they can be and for no reason, but I hope this isn't one of those times.

joshofalltrades on